HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 10:43 PM

BrianTH: Thanks for posting those links! My dad's law firm is currently in the Westinghouse building and will be moving to the Oliver building this December. He said the price went way up forcing them to move. I assume Westinghouse is class A and Oliver Class B, it is a shame that the rates rose but atleast the city has a bright future.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 12:59 AM

Westinghouse is a B+ building and Oliver is a B- building. The Oliver building lost K&L Gates a year ago and they need to be more aggressive. The class A vacany rate is pretty low and the vacancy rate in class B space is, in actuality, lower than the numbers imply.

The Oliver building, former Reed Smith, Union Trust, Alcoa Building, and former Lord & Taylor add to the class B vacancy. Two of those buildings are being partially redeveloped as hotels, PNC is taking Lord & Taylor, the Union Trust building is in foreclosure and Alcoa is (hopefully) being converted into apts.

The overall market for office pace in downtown is very strong, and should only get stronger for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 9:06 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Suburban office construction update!

This building is relatively small structure in Edgeworth at 3 above ground stories, $9 million cost and 40,000 sq ft corporate HQ for Esmark & its subsidiaries but it packs a BIG Pittsburgh success story. Continue reading below....

So I pass this building everyday on my way to work on the Ohio River Boulevard right across from the Sewickley Academy and before the Sewickley Bridge. It didn't look like much compared to most projects we are interested in but then I read a great story about the history of Esmark in the last 5 yrs. This guy is a business genius and very rich thanks to his dealings.
Seriously, if you've got time PLEASE read this article from a recent issue of Pittsburgh Quarterly about the rise and sell off and purchase again at a discount of Esmark:

http://www.pittsburghquarterly.com/i...-bouchard.html

Quote:
How entrepreneurial is Jim Bouchard? Consider this: When he sold Esmark, Inc., the publicly held steel company he ran, to Russia's OAO Severstal in 2008, the price was a whopping $775 million, a remarkable exit for a five-year-old company. But instead of cashing in his chips and retiring to the good life, Bouchard took the road less traveled. He began buying the company back.

Bit by bit, he reacquired a number of Esmark's former assets from Severstal. First was the name, which had considerable brand recognition in the steel sector. When he learned that Severstal had no plans for it, he scooped up the name barely two months after he sold it.

Then he cherry-picked some of the flat-rolled steel service centers that were part of the original package. Although Bouchard won't disclose the acquisition prices, he allows that he got the business units for less than 10 percent of what Severstal paid him.

It was a coup two times over, and the prodigal units became the foundation of the new Esmark, Inc. From nondescript offices in Sewickley, Esmark is now one of the region's most rapidly growing privately held companies. Through an expansion strategy based primarily on savvy acquisitions, Esmark now boasts 450 employees and more than $400 million in annual revenue....

Progress as of a couple days ago. It is slated for occupancy in the next couple months.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 9:34 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

And just for shits and giggles here are some metro hospital updates for those who might not know.

UPMC East - Monroeville $250 million new hospital facility

The 220,000 sq ft, $144 million UPMC Passavant hospital in the North Hills (McCandless Twp)

Some finished pictures from the nearly $200 million multi-year upgrade at the Pittsburgh VA Hospital which included renovation, additions & research center being added; Not a lot of you might have seen this since it sits right at the top of the Hill District.

(Personal thought: Perhaps in the next couple of decades this massive investment and all the jobs that it brings along with the massive investment that was just made for the new arena site + lots of NEW smart infill Hill district projects all combined could give the hill/uptown the boost it finally needs to re-populate and recreate the urban fabric from the US Steel tower to the Pitt campus. Also being invested in is that beautiful old brick school into apartment in uptown, continued investment and growth at Duquesne University & UPMC Mercys growth)

The scientific research wing. Can't find any completed photos if there are any.

Aerial of site

Annnnd what the hell, just found an awesome pic of the relatively new Children's Hospital + research tower too. $625 million

The Grand Finale: The Hospital I was born in in 1981 - The Beaver Medical Center (Brighton Twp) which just underwent a $20 million addition/renovation. Now known as The Heritage Valley Health System.

Last edited by Austinlee; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 10:50 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Here's another one; I've been curious what the multi-story building going up on the CCAC Northside campus is going to be. It is clearly visible going say, from the West End Bridge past Heinz Field on RT 65, You see it under construction up there on the left on that little mound of a hill.

Well, I see that it is a $21 million LEED Science Center! That's pretty cool.
Here's the drawing. It should almost be built now. It's scheduled completion is supposed to be during this year.

http://www.thenorthsidechronicle.com...ate=2010-05-18

That campus has some INCREDIBLE historic architecture. It's great to see them getting a nice new building to hopefully draw our thoughts awar from the ugly concrete/or stucco or whatever 70s and 80s buildings that tarnished that campus.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 PM

There has been a lot of investment in the Hill in recent years, with more on schedule. A lot of it involves tearing down projects and infilling with new higher-quality housing. There is still much more to be done, but I agree everything is coming together for the Hill to really take off in upcoming years.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 1:05 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There has been a lot of investment in the Hill in recent years, with more on schedule. A lot of it involves tearing down projects and infilling with new higher-quality housing. There is still much more to be done, but I agree everything is coming together for the Hill to really take off in upcoming years.
Yeah, there has been more infill projects than just about any area; Yet check the satellite aerials and it remains one of the most bombed out hoods in the city.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 8:18 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Speaking of infill and redevelopment of some of the struggling neighborhoods. Does anyone have any idea of what will become of Formosa Way in the Homewood neighborhood? I saw they finally tore down the row of abandoned rowhomes that has come to be known as the killing fields. What is considered to be Homewood's "main street?" Is it Hamilton Avenue? What I envision is pretty much levelling everything between Hamilton Ave and Kelly Street, and Homewood and Braddocc Avenues, and replacing it with a public square. Much of what is in that whole block is either condemned, torn down, or in very deplorable condition.

Suppose there was a streetcar loop that could link Homewood with Penn Circle/East Liberty? I know it's rather bold, but I think it needs something bold to give that neighborhood a shot in the arm. It could be routed to provide a stop at the East Liberty Transit Center to link up with the MLK Bus Way...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 7:49 PM

Of course Homewood already has an East Busway stop, and there are some plans for TOD building out from there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 7:50 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Thanks for all the updates I had no idea how much development was going on in the hill district. That is very good news. Hopefully it can be a viable and safe neighborhood connecting downtown and Oakland before too long. It is amazing how much is going on in the city including some of the most bombed out areas like Homewood and Garfield. This is the real city renaissance we have been hoping for for decades including population growth!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 8:36 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Here's a list from the URA website. http://www.ura.org/working_with_us/projects.php

SIX projects alone in the Hill District.

$42 million - Crawford Square http://www.ura.org/pdfs/showcase/crawfordSquare.pdf

$40 million - Energy Innovation Center http://www.ura.org/pdfs/showcase/Ene...ion-Center.pdf

$16 million - The Legacy http://www.ura.org/pdfs/showcase/theLegacy.pdf

$17.5 million - Bedford Hill
http://www.ura.org/pdfs/showcase/bedfordHillHopeVI.pdf

$3.2 million - Wylie Avenue http://www.ura.org/pdfs/showcase/wylieAveHomes.pdf

$12 million - YMCA Centre Avenue http://www.ura.org/pdfs/showcase/YMCA.pdf

And here's 6 large projects going on in Uptown right now. http://triblive.com/home/2147011-74/...#axzz2BBetip2h

That's a lot of development!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 11:15 PM

It's great to see the Connelly school put into use again, but I wish someone would demolish the undersized-and-underutilized Boy Scouts HQ and put something worthy of that location in there- like maybe a high-rise apartment building with spectacular views on three sides.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 12:48 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Of course Homewood already has an East Busway stop, and there are some plans for TOD building out from there.
It does, but it's somewhat on the fringe of the neighborhood, bordering Point Breeze. I envision more of a commercialization of Hamilton Avenue. It looks that that would likely be Homewood's "main street." What are the chances of this reaching down Homewood Avenue to Hamilton and out along Hamilton? What do these TOD plans call for exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
It's great to see the Connelly school put into use again, but I wish someone would demolish the undersized-and-underutilized Boy Scouts HQ and put something worthy of that location in there- like maybe a high-rise apartment building with spectacular views on three sides.
Where is the Boy Scouts HQ at in relation to the Connely Schoool? Given its proximity to the arena site, I would also like to see more high-rise development there.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
What do these TOD plans call for exactly?
Here you go:

http://www.bridgingthebusway.com/?page_id=167

Particularly here:

http://www.bridgingthebusway.com/?page_id=323

This project in particular is already advancing (I really like the re-use of the old Post Office):

http://www.homewoodnation.com/524srh...%20reduced.pdf

Last edited by BrianTH; Nov 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Where is the Boy Scouts HQ at in relation to the Connely Schoool? Given its proximity to the arena site, I would also like to see more high-rise development there.
Here:

http://goo.gl/maps/AXUS0

It is a somewhat challenging site since it is tucked right onto the edge of the cliff next to Bigelow/Penn Station. I could see it being redeveloped some day, but I would be fine with that not happening until after the Lower Hill is completed.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 3:46 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...enceville.html

Quote:
Heartland Homes to pitch Lawrenceville plan

Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2012, 10:22am EST

The plan of Heartland Homes Inc. to develop more than 30 townhouses on a cemetery-owned plot in the ninth ward of Lawrenceville will get its first full airing at a community meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 7.

The community nonprofit Lawrenceville United notified the neighborhood through email and social media that it is hosting the meeting at St. Mary’s Lower Lyceum at 330 45th Street. Heartland Homes is the region’s second largest home builder.

Heartland will present its plan for a 2.6-acre parcel of open land owned by the Catholic Cemeteries Association of the Diocese of Pittsburgh next to St. Mary’s Cemetery on the hill above the Butler Street business district. The Pittsburgh Business Times first reported on Heartland's plans in late August.

According to the notice by Lawrenceville United, Heartland Homes plan to seek variances from the zoning code for the minimum rear and exterior setback requirements.

If the project goes forward, it would be among the largest new developments of new for sale homes in the dense urban neighborhood which has seen some of the strongest average home value increases in the region, according to a study by RealSTATS, a South Side-based real estate research firm.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 6:55 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Hmm, i am qualified to comment on this. Heartland Homes is definitely the best quality tract builder in our area. I believe more infill in these desirable city neighborhoods is a good thing so I approve this plan.
I also think S&A Homes did a a good job on the Federal St townhomes. They are similar to Heartland.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 7:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Hmm, i am qualified to comment on this. Heartland Homes is definitely the best quality tract builder in our area. I believe more infill in these desirable city neighborhoods is a good thing so I approve this plan.
I also think S&A Homes did a a good job on the Federal St townhomes. They are similar to Heartland.
I agree with you about the Federal St. townhomes, Austin. They look fantastic and fit in extremely well in their neighborhood!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 6:37 PM

George Aiken's is officially no more. The building has been almost completely torn down.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
George Aiken's is officially no more. The building has been almost completely torn down.
Refresh my memory. Where was that again?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations