HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Peter Wall Mansion & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:56 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

WC Central Park | 84m, 85m, 81m, 20m | 29fl, 30fl, 28fl, 6fl | Completed

Think I first mentioned this one a couple of years ago. It's been a slow process but it's about to speed up quickly now. The project is now headed by Wall Financial (which explains why he spoke up a few months ago about saving Carleton School). This project has a date with the UDP on June 1. Looking it over I don't expect it to run into any issues. Personally I think the taller building should be at the bottom of the hill but nothing major.

Quote:
GBL Architects has applied to rezone 32 individual parcels in this block from CD-1 #220 and CD-1 #224 to a new CD-1 By-law (Comprehensive Development District) for the purpose of developing the site, including the north-south City lane, with three new residential towers on the Boundary Road and Vanness Avenue frontages, and a mid-rise stepped building on the Ormidale Street frontage.

The application proposes a total 1,173 dwelling units at a density of 5.69 Floor Space Ratio. The proposed tower heights are 29, 31 and 32 storeys. Parking for 1,327 vehicles is proposed, with access from both Boundary Road and Ormidale Street.

The application is for all residential use, although the applicant has also proposed a 33,000 sq. ft. “community amenity space” in the base of the two towers on Boundary Road, which has not been programmed. Staff are considering potential uses for this space and no decisions have been made.
Site Context
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...itecontext.pdf

Site Plan
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...s/siteplan.pdf

Plans
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...ents/plans.pdf

Building Form
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...ildingform.pdf

Public Amenities
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin.../amenities.pdf

Project Statistics
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...statistics.pdf

Landscape
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin.../landscape.pdf

Shadows
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...ts/shadows.pdf

Elevations
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...elevations.pdf

Note some of the files above are large, so it might be best to d/l them instead of just opening them.

Think we might be on the verge of seeing more highrises constructed in Vancouver outside the core then inside it for the first time that I can recall.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:31 AM

Just a little nitpick... has BC Ambulance relocated their ambulance station from that block? From what I recall it doesn't seem like if it has moved lately... = \

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 9:24 PM

All pix by Built Form

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 12:02 AM

quite the change - nice to see - a few more blocks of houses could go in a few years

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 1:31 AM

Looks really suburban. And how many times have we heard of the clone-stamp tower proposals that go "29, 30 and 31 stories". In Toronto there's usually a 6-10 storey height difference between twin/triplet towers, while maintaining identical floorplates for efficiency... why isn't that possible in Vancouver suburbs, where height restrictions aren't an issue?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 2:07 AM

Looking forward to some renders and this development as a whole.

Just makes me wish even more that there was a Boundary Skytrain station.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 5:35 AM

Full UDP minutes have been posted for 5515-5665 Boundary Road, 5448-4666 Ormidale Street and 3690 Vanness Avenue
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...utes/Jun1.html

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 4:20 AM
Website Manager

Thanks for posting all the info guys, there are in the database now - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/map...280780792&z=16

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:33 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Going to council on the 4th, there has been numerous changes since it was first proposed. Height has been clipped a touch as has the number of floors, not much changes in the number of units but they are now listed at 1141. Density is 5.5FSR which is higher then the previous projects (3.5-4FSR).

Sounds like Towers 1, 2 and the mid-rise will be phase 1 (southern half of site) and Tower 3 would be Phase 2. There is a Metro Vancouver sewer line that dissects the site. Phase 1 will house a 23K amenity space in tower 1 that MOSIAC is interested in running. Phase 2 will provide a 10K satellite space for Collingwood Neighbourhood house. There will also be 35K of open space.

The CACs on this site come in at almost $16M. With $11.5M of that for the amenity spaces. $1.5M Cash contribution to allow successful running of the amenity spaces. $1M towards the affordable housing fund. $1M towards local park improvements (Carleton/Collingwood Parks). $1M for a pedestrian/bike bridge over Boundary (BC Parkway upgrade).

There will also be DCL's of $8.3M and public art contribution of $1.3M.

Source: http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...cuments/p2.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:25 PM

Ah yes totally forgot about this. I drove by the other week and all the house are boarded up. Kinda creepy looking.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 11:58 PM
Transit User

Getting closer to Metrotown - Collingwood amalgamation into what can only be known as Metrowood!

I wonder whether this will lead to any kind of rejuvenation of the Boundary - Kingsway intersection that is completely dead from the point of pedestrian usage. Maybe some commercial/retail re-development on Kingsway can take advantage of all that density in Collingwood area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:22 AM

When the condo towers around Joyce Station were popping up, I had high hopes for the area and turning it into a real town centre but then all of a sudden, it stopped. As it stand now, those hopes have not been realized.

I'm glad for this project coming up near Joyce Stn. Hopefully, it will spur more in that area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:59 PM
loafing in lotusland

There is a reason all the houses along Boundary (and the block behind it) are old and dilapidated. Over the last decade or so, developers have been buying up those houses for an anticipated rezoning and eastern expansion of Joyce/Collingwood.

You'll notice these houses are old, unlike many other lots in the area that have new Vancouver Specials on them (Main dwelling upstairs with one two-bedroom legal suite and one 1-bedroom illegal suite on the ground level).

Nova, the problem with it being any kind of town centre are two:
1. Proximity to Metrotown
2. Lack of any large commercial plots set aside for grocery etc. (partly because of point #1)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 9:03 PM
Ach, du.

I live in one of the previous Collingwood Village towers so I'll be able to do great photo updates on this once construction commences!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 10:18 PM

Two of those towers are pretty tall, I know one of them is up on the hill but their nearly as tall as the Telus building and much taller then any of the other Collingwood buildings. This development will have a pretty big impact and should stand out in that area, you will be able to see it from many locations unlike most of the other towers that are hidden in that dip.

Also does anyone know the phases of this project? My guess would be Phase 1-tower on Venables, Phase 2-two towers going up the hill and Phase 3-the low rise building....But the reason I ask is I wonder if there is any chance of this development being built all at one, with maybe just slightly staggered construction start dates. I know its lots of units but there hasnt been anything built in that area for a while and I could imagine there being some pent up demand, the fact that its a very asian investor friendly part of the city would only help.

Also like twoNeurons mentioned about the houses being bought up, the block directly west of this development is all older houses with no new ones built in a long time so I would suspect that it has also been bought up or optioned by a developer for a future rezoning/project.

But many of the other blocks between Joyce/Venables and Kingsway seem to be pretty normal with old houses being replaced with new ones so I would think most of the assembling of single family homes in the area is on the east side of Collignwood village where this development is happening. Too bad, would be nice to bridge the gap between the current high density area with Kingsway with increased density in-between. Would really help in taking that part of Kingsway to another level, even though its doing pretty good as is.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 12:02 AM

That's the other reason that Joyce isn't a town centre - the nearby competing commercial district on Kingsway - which has the Safeway, London Drugs and other commercial retail space.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Looks really suburban. And how many times have we heard of the clone-stamp tower proposals that go "29, 30 and 31 stories". In Toronto there's usually a 6-10 storey height difference between twin/triplet towers, while maintaining identical floorplates for efficiency... why isn't that possible in Vancouver suburbs, where height restrictions aren't an issue?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've sometimes wondered that too, even from over here. Good point.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:50 AM

Is the development application still not yet approved?

In addition to window and door that were boarded up for houses, boarding is also being built around the proposed redevelopment site. I guess that is to secure the whole area from unwanted squatters.
Also at least 1 house was demolished in the last few days.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:19 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It was approved, not development permit has been issued yet.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 12:43 AM

2 more houses have been demonished. Look like quite a bit of preparation work is being done at the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver