HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Peter Wall Mansion & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
This decision is so utterly sickening that it's almost comical.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
This decision is so utterly sickening that it's almost comical.
Whereas your comments are always comical.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:56 PM

Kandi may speak in hyperbole, nevertheless the point is still valid.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:33 AM

On the General Vancouver Updates forum user privatejet pointed out that an April 17th, 2012 Wall Financial Corporation financial filing document contained references to 1300 Richards street.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3228

http://www.sedar.com/CheckCode.do;js...vt8hLl1tmyy:-1

"On September 1, 2010, the Company acquired a property on 1300 Richards Street in Vancouver, B.C. for $6,150,000 and on January 31, 2011, acquired an adjacent property on 1320 Richards Street for $8,750,000. The Company is currently in the process of rezoning the two properties with the intention of creating a significant development site to develop condominium units for resale."

"In addition, rezoning approvals should be granted for the 900 Hastings Street development, 1300 Richards Street, and 1107 Seymour Street. We expect to commence
pre-sales at 1300 Richards and 900 Hastings in the spring of 2013."

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 5:19 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This one is going to council on the 23rd with a recommendation to be sent to a public hearing most likely in May. Didn't notice anything significantly different from the original proposal.

Source:
http://former.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/...cuments/p2.pdf

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 7:16 PM

I just noticed from the floorplans that the SE corner of the tower appears to be cantilevered over open airspace.

Shown in Built Form's pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post

All pix by Built Form
Also noticed there's going to be a lot of spandrel on this tower.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:13 PM

Vancouver Sun article says Wall Financial will contribute $24 million to the housing project at 1107 Seymour as a result of this project:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...698/story.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:58 AM

Went back a page to look at the collection of renders. Yellow § Yeck! It just isn't going to go over. It has almost a (without ever having been there, so pardon my ignrance, but you'll get what I mean) .... a "generic Sao Paulo mid-range trash" look to it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 5:29 PM

DIALOG has applied to the City of Vancouver to rezone 1300-1320 Richards Street from DD (Downtown District) to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal is for a 43-storey residential tower containing 258 units, and commercial uses at grade. A floor space ratio (FSR) of 12.32, total floor area of 20,009 m² (215,375 sq. ft.), and a maximum height of 121.9 m (400 ft.) are proposed.

PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULED:

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 6 pm
Council Chamber, Third Floor
City Hall, 453 West 12th Avenue

Source: City of Vancouver 1320 Richards Rezoning page

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:15 PM

I am really not a fan of the green-yellow balconies in this tower. Even worse is that they are the square, wrap-around kind. This is something I have seen a lot more in Toronto condos, and have thought Vancouver is fortunate to have relatively little of. To me, the 'punched in' or 'punched out' smaller balconies make for better massing on any tower.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:24 PM

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the wrap-around balconies - it'll provide a uniform look to the tower, which most in Vancouver don't have. As for the colour, I'm not too sure. Note that the coloured glass is a visor for the balcony below, and the colour probably won't be visible at deck level.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I'm actually looking forward to seeing the wrap-around balconies - it'll provide a uniform look to the tower, which most in Vancouver don't have. As for the colour, I'm not too sure. Note that the coloured glass is a visor for the balcony below, and the colour probably won't be visible at deck level.
I agree 100% with this comment.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 2:27 PM
Reason and Freedom

The new buildings in Toronto with the wrap-around balconies look very cheap and would be an even further degradation of the already mediocre architecture in Vancouver. Such buildings are reminiscent of the numerous ghetto projects in Toronto from the 60s and 70s, which have similar full-length balconies and are littered with all the sundry accoutrements of residential life.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
The new buildings in Toronto with the wrap-around balconies look very cheap and would be an even further degradation of the already mediocre architecture in Vancouver. Such buildings are reminiscent of the numerous ghetto projects in Toronto from the 60s and 70s, which have similar full-length balconies and are littered with all the sundry accoutrements of residential life.
That's kind of what I fear with this one. It has the potential to be attractive; it's nice and tall for "infill" at any rate ... but as you mention with the wrap-around balconies, it might become that piece of "Sao Paulo mid-range trash" that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Except this building isn't made from 60s/70s commieblock brick. I agree completely with OD, I think the wrap-around look, as well as the cantilevered corner, will look fantastic. Not a fan of spandrel, but I still like where this building is going aesthetically.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 4:28 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post

Except this building isn't made from 60s/70s commieblock brick.
Unfortunately, the fact that it's made out of glass doesn't mitigate the relevant similarity. Indeed, the transparency of the glass only makes the balcony clutter (which now spreads around the entire building) even more apparent.

What balconies like this do is render urban buildings unmistakeably residential and pedestrian (i.e., the polar opposite of One Wall Centre).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 4:49 PM

If the balconies are tinted or colored it should mitigate the effect of showing everything that people leave outside.

At least it's not like here in Spain where half the building encloses their balcony and the other half have laundry hanging out to dry...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 5:05 PM

I agree that fritted glass would make the bands of balcony glass "pop".

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 4:55 PM
ON3P Skis

This project was approved last night with only councillor Carr opposed. Many councillors noted that there should be something done with the 400' tall blank concrete wall and urged staff and the applicant to work out some sort of better solution during the DP process. Hopefully that happens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver