HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 3:04 AM
Just let it shine through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
BTW, sorry - I did not mean to imply you specifically don't know design issues. But I think the default mindframe for many Americans who are not really concerned or knowledgeable about architecture is to go for neo-colonial junk. It's is easy to "get" and seems particularly to make sense in Philadelphia in a simplistic way. But most of it is crap.
Its cool man, just a slight difference in opinion thats all. Thats why I enjoy these threads along with the updated news.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 6:06 PM

cro burnham - i could not agree with you more!

the fact that the allison building is brick makes an easy argument to make 10 ritt brick. but it would have been much more bold had 10 ritt been instead designed modern.

there is a dark-shaded all glass semi-circular office building in downtown nyc (on the tip of southern manahttan) that sits right next to (almost attached) to a reconstructed 18th century colonial church. it's the coolest thing - sort of like the comcast center and its neighboring church, except it isn't separated by a parking lot! there is a similar set up in boston and all over london.

an all glass building on top of the allison building would have been very stunning, but regrettably, ridiculous nimby obstructionists sap all the energy and creativity from developers and architects. people don't want tall buildings in their neighborhoods, so the best approach for developers and architects is to blend it in as much as possible to downplay the building's presence. a modern all glass structure on top of the alisson building would have done the exact opposite - it would have made a bold statement on the square - where people living there prefer buildings - if they absolutely must be built - to be understated and not rock the boat.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesTeam2Repeat
See Hammers post for details (Crickets)
again. red brick anyone? at ground level?

i don't have a problem with the building...i was just pointing out that it is not exactly contextual. the overwhelming palette choice (even for the brick buildings) on rittenhouse square is tan/limestone/sand colored.

otherwise...the building seems to be done well...so i have no complaints (a la Symphony House).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesTeam2Repeat
Thats because this building does NOT have an already existing 7 story "Red Brick" structure (most likely on the historic registry) cozying up to it like 10Ritt does. Doesnt take much of an expert in planning and designing to see that.
it also has two limestone buildings to which it is too attached (van renssaeler mansion and the barney's co-op building).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:22 AM
Just let it shine through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
again. red brick anyone? at ground level
Maybe you should of included the "Ground level" part in your original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
show me another red brick building on the square? crickets.
No point in posting the pictures again.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I like the building too - I'm not complaining. I just can't stand this need to make everything red brick. It's also not a given that because the Alison Building is red brick, 10 Rittenhouse needs to be too. There are many examples of the use of different materials and styles - rather than mimicry - in a new building that beautifully showcase and cohere with adjacent historic structures. One good local example that comes to mind is the Art Museum's Perleman Building addition.

BTW, sorry - I did not mean to imply you specifically don't know design issues. But I think the default mindframe for many Americans who are not really concerned or knowledgeable about architecture is to go for neo-colonial junk. It's is easy to "get" and seems particularly to make sense in Philadelphia in a simplistic way. But most of it is crap.
This is true in a number of ways. Consider:

Right now 10 Ritt's responding to Alison. Now if it were cased in limestone it would respond to Van Rensslaer and...that other one instead. Still be a beautiful building. Or if the architect had sprung for a modern or avant-garde design, the contrast between the limestone and brick facades of Van Rensslaer, Alison, and...that other one would have been equally stunning, IMO. (ARCWheeler's doing something more along the latter with the Boyd design IIRC.)

Still, what we've got is a good-looking building. Given the site, it would take a stellarly bad architect to f--k it up, and Stern (or whichever crony actually designed it) is not a bad architect.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 3:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
...Stern (or whichever crony actually designed it) is not a bad architect.
Graham Wyatt of Stern's firm designed 10 Rit AND Comcast Center. True fact.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 9:45 PM

Anyone aware of how this interacts at the street level? Or better yet has the renderings? I'm aware of the barneys co-op fronting walnut. On samson there appears to be what is shaping up to be a parking/ utility entrance? I'd imagine there is a lobby either on samson or 18th but it tooks like to much space to be just that.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 12:05 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

IIRC the main lobby entrance is going to be through the old facade they preserved facing Rittenhouse Square. I'm not entirely sure what they're parking on the ground floor along 18th and Sansom, but if not a parking entrance, I would bet retail. You don't need too much space for parking and utility entrances either, come to think of it...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
HERO

taken today, i dont know if there has been much change..

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:26 PM
Realtor

from today at comcast center

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:45 PM
Realtor

from today

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 12:45 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
IIRC the main lobby entrance is going to be through the old facade they preserved facing Rittenhouse Square.
The main entrance will be through the 18th St courtyard.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 4:34 PM
Corporate logo

A quick update on 10 Rittenhouse,

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:56 AM

What happened to this building? It's been 2 1/2 months since there has been an update or even a response. Is it on hold?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
What happened to this building? It's been 2 1/2 months since there has been an update or even a response. Is it on hold?
Looks like it's done.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 5:39 AM

No, it just looks the same as it did in the last photo update. At the request of the Penthouse buyer, they've had to make some modifications to that floor that has delayed final window installation (I forget the exact details). Work continues on the interiors, including the ground floor lobby and retail space.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 11:48 PM
HERO

here ya go, this should satisfy your curiosity, it says move in is fall 09 so i guess that should be happenning soon

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 11:54 PM
Resident Jackass

That's a nice looking building.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 3:54 AM

It definitely turned out better than I was expecting.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 5:07 PM

Anyone know when residents are expected to move in?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive