HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 6:19 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Where on 14th?
SW corner of 15th Ave and 14th Street. Called Ke's Charcoal Grill and Sushi, or something. Reported on a while back -- looks like a nice reno.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 8:02 PM
BANNED

^I think he's talking about that redevelopment on 14 st and about 14 av. Supposed to be a sushi grill.

Tried 118 Empire yest at podium level Marriott on Centre St. Had the short ribs and tried a couple of their cocktails, very impressed by both, esp their drink selection. The cocktail movements really coming up fast here. Lots more new cocktail bars opening soon here, bunch of regular restaurants have decent selection here now too. The bar/club side will be along the south side, opening mid April. The whole podium level of the hotel has been renovated, huge upgrade from what it was.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:37 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Le Parc was very good-it didn't change my life but was very good. With no reso and even arriving at 5:30 we had to eat at tall tables in the "lounge" and it was a tight squeeze and not really very comfortable. Will reserve a table next time.

Two of the little appetizers (apertifs is what they're called, we had a rabbit rillettes and three AMAZING croquettes stuffed with gruyere and ham, the high point of the meal for me), a split order of gnocchi which was very nice, two steak frites (fantastic frites), and two deserts with two glasses of wine and one bottle of Dieu du Ciel biere was $120, very reasonable for the amount and quality.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:39 PM

Checked out Cannibale in Bridgeland this weekend. As expected, drinks were on the pricy side (I think about $8-$12 for most cocktails). We grabbed the cheese board and a pretzel as well which were both great. It's a cozy little space that should be really cool when patio season hits. Hard to imagine it as a dog daycare now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 4:44 PM
Aviary Masticator

So many new restaurants opening!

I'm hoping when I come back from Asia, it'll be full on patio season in Calgary.

Then again, it snowed in May.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 5:00 PM

Checked out The Beltliner today for the coffee and To-Go counter (restuarant service starts March 30). It's a great space they have built in there, really light with the new windows and plenty of tables. They had a full menu on display, looked quite reasonable actually.

If the food is any good, it will be really good value. Perfect to have this style of casual diner and breakfast food further east than 4th street SW.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:23 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
If the food is any good, it will be really good value. Perfect to have this style of casual diner and breakfast food further east than 4th street SW.
Fantastic to see that it's open late (until 10 or 11) 7 days per week! Great for hotel guests and the rest of us.

Their coffee setup, for a space that's not a coffeehouse, is amazing. La Marzocco GB5 and Fratello beans (including their own Beltliner Blend for drip).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Fantastic to see that it's open late (until 10 or 11) 7 days per week! Great for hotel guests and the rest of us.

Their coffee setup, for a space that's not a coffeehouse, is amazing. La Marzocco GB5 and Fratello beans (including their own Beltliner Blend for drip).
Yeah I noticed the coffee setup, looks very well thought out. The whole thing does actually, just a great design and attention to detail.

I am loving the open-later trend, the more late night diners the better. This hotel/diner combo seems like it will add a big jolt of activity to the area. Great to see.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Checked out The Beltliner today for the coffee and To-Go counter (restuarant service starts March 30). It's a great space they have built in there, really light with the new windows and plenty of tables. They had a full menu on display, looked quite reasonable actually.

Is it licensed?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 9:39 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
Is it licensed?
Yep. Great beer menu (there's Koelsch and is therefore great).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:24 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Tropical Latin Street Food next to The Pint is open, or at least had its soft opening on Friday. Menu is "comming [sic] soon" on their website and they don't indicate their opening hours anywhere, but judging from pics at their fb page it sure looks like more of a nightclub than a resto complete with an ATM machine right inside the door, but we'll see.

The 17th Ave twitter account welcomed Buttermilk, the waffle place where CRMC shop was east of Cilantro, as "opening soon."

I'm most excited about Beltliner and this Ke Charcoal Grill and Sushi since it's near my house... I saw some folks working there, behind the fence, one of whom was a young woman who said she's the chef, and she said they'd be opening in May which seems a terribly long way off. I didn't ask when in May.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:26 AM
not a NIMBY

Kudos to Naina's Kitchen and Booker BBQ & Crabshack for their star turns on the Food Network's You Gotta Eat Here! tonight.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Kudos to Naina's Kitchen and Booker BBQ & Crabshack for their star turns on the Food Network's You Gotta Eat Here! tonight.
That's cool. Nice to see both restaurants get some attention, but I'm particularly happy for Naina's.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:34 AM
Laura Palmer

Monogram Coffee

I went to Monogram coffee today in Altadore and had a mean cup of coffee. I'm no coffee expert but to me the beans seemed to have a unique taste to them, seemed more earthy and not fully roasted(which tasted great!). The place was very small/cozy, the layout seemed a little awkward in the fact that there was no waiting space for the coffee. However; it was good to see lots of people there and I recommend it to anyone.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:20 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I went to Monogram coffee today in Altadore and had a mean cup of coffee. I'm no coffee expert but to me the beans seemed to have a unique taste to them, seemed more earthy and not fully roasted(which tasted great!).
Light roasts are becoming so de rigeur (P&S are vanguards in Canada for this trend) that there's some backlash happening- Fratello has made a point of saying that it offers a range of roasts and I agree that some coffees taste pretty horrible light. But I also agree that Monogram is amazing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:56 AM
not a NIMBY

Il Sogno is closing at the end of April after 15 years.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:45 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Il Sogno is closing at the end of April after 15 years.
Damn- they opened right around the time I moved to Calgary and were definitely vanguards here, but 15 years is a good run for a restaurant.

Long's is back open after a few weeks off for vacation- owner had first visit back to Sichuan province in something like 10 years and she was sick the entire time, poor thing. I cannot express how much I love this place- reviews often say that if you don't speak Mandarin there don't bother, but we get takeout there once a week (always the "spicy chicken with peanuts," the most delicious, explosive version of kung pao I've ever had) and I have never once had a problem ordering or being understood.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:24 PM
Aviary Masticator

Visited Pio Peruvian Cuisine over the weekend. Great food as usual and the atmosphere is family-style and the love is there.

IMO, their chicken is different but can give Nando's a run for its' money.

So Milestone's on Stephen Ave. is closed now? Thought they were just getting a facelift.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:43 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
So Milestone's on Stephen Ave. is closed now? Thought they were just getting a facelift.
Who said they were closed? They do huge business and there are signs all over the windows saying they're renovating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation