HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:55 AM

Thanks for the advice and link Diskojoe and Bulliver! He's hoping to do the shoot around mid april so I guess that'll be enough time to really play with everything. I'll definitely be researching more tutorials about it and if my confidence is still completely shot I'll see if one of the photography professors might be interested.

We haven't discussed a set price yet but he did throw out a couple pretty nice numbers for starters. Lets say I do get a good majority of my shots used for his promotional gain; what would be a good price to charge?

(and I just sold my 50mm prime along with the D80 since it doesnt autofocus with the D5100... I guess I should pick another one up?)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:34 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
(and I just sold my 50mm prime along with the D80 since it doesnt autofocus with the D5100... I guess I should pick another one up?)
AFAIK, 50mm primes are generally quite cheap lenses so it doesn't hurt to have one. That said though, I find it more useful for portraiture rather than architecture.

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:02 PM

This photo:

Sacramento's Springtime Storms 2 HDR by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

Is now in a Business Insider online article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-2...america-2012-3

And since they cropped the photo, they violated my copyright. Interesting start to my Wednesday afternoon.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:59 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and link Diskojoe and Bulliver! He's hoping to do the shoot around mid april so I guess that'll be enough time to really play with everything. I'll definitely be researching more tutorials about it and if my confidence is still completely shot I'll see if one of the photography professors might be interested.

We haven't discussed a set price yet but he did throw out a couple pretty nice numbers for starters. Lets say I do get a good majority of my shots used for his promotional gain; what would be a good price to charge?

Yes get another 50mm and stop whining. You'll do fine. Its not that hard if you can get good light. Flash is not hard but it is expensive to use due to all the crap you need. Its just simple geometry. Bounce at the correct angles and win at life!

As for price what did they offer to pay?

My Book

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:02 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
This photo:

Sacramento's Springtime Storms 2 HDR by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

Is now in a Business Insider online article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-2...america-2012-3

And since they cropped the photo, they violated my copyright. Interesting start to my Wednesday afternoon.
Congrats, I guess? Cool that you got published. Weird how it is referring to horrible cities. And its not infringment if you gave them permission to use your shot. At least the gave you credit and a hyperlink.

My Book

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:03 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
AFAIK, 50mm primes are generally quite cheap lenses so it doesn't hurt to have one. That said though, I find it more useful for portraiture rather than architecture.
You can use one to do panoramic stuff. You get great detail when you merge the shots. Food for thought.

My Book

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Congrats, I guess? Cool that you got published. Weird how it is referring to horrible cities. And its not infringment if you gave them permission to use your shot. At least the gave you credit and a hyperlink.
I didn't know they'd used my photo until a friend posted this article on Facebook. Besides, it is infringement since they altered the photo by cropping it. Oh well, at this stage, any press is good press.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
You can use one to do panoramic stuff. You get great detail when you merge the shots. Food for thought.
Good point. No barrel distortion as well. I should try that!

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 12:46 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
I didn't know they'd used my photo until a friend posted this article on Facebook. Besides, it is infringement since they altered the photo by cropping it. Oh well, at this stage, any press is good press.
Exactly. This is the sole reason I watermark. Most people will have to give you credit if you do that. Try googling your name, and see how many photos of yours have been used. It'll shock you.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Yes get another 50mm and stop whining. You'll do fine. Its not that hard if you can get good light. Flash is not hard but it is expensive to use due to all the crap you need. Its just simple geometry. Bounce at the correct angles and win at life!

As for price what did they offer to pay?
Lol I just want to put my best foot forward and get everything right on the first try.

the first number he said was $350 then the second was $500... since I'm not a pro is this good enough? Or should I be looking for a bit more?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 4:05 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Lol I just want to put my best foot forward and get everything right on the first try.

the first number he said was $350 then the second was $500... since I'm not a pro is this good enough? Or should I be looking for a bit more?
Unless someone else is offering you more money for a job on the same day Id say take it. Probably wouldn't be more then a couple hours work.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 4:26 PM

Got my D70 back....converted to infra-red.....some photos s.o.o.camera and only converted to jpegs.

^^^some custom w.b....red and white in shade,cloudy w,b etc

some edited ones...

lots of messing about to do.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 10:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Hey ya'll! Been missing out on this action! Busy with school and work but it's been paying off!

Anyways, I have a question about computers & photographs. I currently own a PC, it's my second one and I can say I'm not overly excited with it. It worked perfectly a few years back, but it's soooo laggy now and Lightroom/Photoshop take a good toll on it. I've had to change the harddrive and graphics card, updated to Windows 7 Ultimate (which was supposed to make it run smoother).

So my dilemma is, should I switch to Mac? Anyone here use photography software on it?

And what do you guys think about the screen? Is it true color? The current one I have is and I can honestly say all my prints pretty much look just like they did on the screen. All the Macs I see at the store/school don't impress me as much as my current screen though.

And are there any transplants here? Was it hard getting used to Mac's interface?

Last edited by Aleks; Apr 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:37 PM
3rd Coast King

get the mac if you can afford it. You dont have to but its GOOD! Did you really need to ask this?

My Book

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:03 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I guess you're right. I think I'll wait a few months, there's supposed to be a refresh with better screen (cover) and a new processor. I'm so impatient though and I really wanted something before school ended

Anyone here own any camera bags? I'm thinking about getting this one. It has a slipout bag for camera stuffs, a rain cover, back access, and a bunch of storage! I just don't wanna dish out 200 bucks for it

link

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:11 AM

I have a Lowepro Compudaypack. Carries a laptop, accessories, body and a few lenses. I primarily use it as carry-on luggage.

Think I paid $50 for it at the time, not sure if they're still made.

Here's a review: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=2788

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:02 PM
3rd Coast King

I just use a regular backpack. Its a K-Swiss. Not ideal like one of those packs but it has two side pockets just the right size for my small zooms and the main compartment has a divider where I can put my big zoom in so it doesnt move around much. The padded ones are the way to go though. Everything would be nice and secure.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:45 PM
Honored Member

I use a ratty-looking old no-name backpack that will hold the essentials (D700 with Tamron 28-75mm zoom, maybe one extra lens, spare battery, polarizer, UV filter, plus a bottle of water). If I anticipate hoofing it around a downtown for a few hours at a time, I don't want to carry a lot of weight and my backpack will carry enough stuff to get by.

Besides, it doesn't announce to the world, "Expensive camera gear! Knock this old fart down and steal me!"

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:08 AM

Quote:
get the mac if you can afford it. You dont have to but its GOOD! Did you really need to ask this?
I've used Macs for just over 10 years now and I don't think I'd buy another one. They're overpriced and poorly designed. I've had hard drive issues in every Mac I've owned. Laptop and desktop. I've had power supply issues in 2 iMac and a motherboard give out in one of them. Most recently the superdrive, which I rarely if ever use, has given up the ghost.

I attribute all these problems to poor design which cause the machines to run incredibly hot.

Other than upgrading RAM, which they charge an arm and a leg for, Apple also makes it incredibly difficult to actually fix any of their stuff on your own. If you do decide to buy a Mac, make sure you spend the extra and buy the extra warranty. You will need it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:08 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I've used Macs for just over 10 years now and I don't think I'd buy another one. They're overpriced and poorly designed. I've had hard drive issues in every Mac I've owned. Laptop and desktop. I've had power supply issues in 2 iMac and a motherboard give out in one of them. Most recently the superdrive, which I rarely if ever use, has given up the ghost.

I attribute all these problems to poor design which cause the machines to run incredibly hot.

Other than upgrading RAM, which they charge an arm and a leg for, Apple also makes it incredibly difficult to actually fix any of their stuff on your own. If you do decide to buy a Mac, make sure you spend the extra and buy the extra warranty. You will need it.
I would only want one to run final cut pro. I do not know if they have a window alternative that is equivalent to that. Really its my wife that is into making video. I currently use a busted gateway from 2005 still. I gots me 1 gig of ram! Its pretty sad. If I process any serious stuff with photoshop or photomatix it will literally take it a minute or two to process the files. But I want to upgrade my motor soon. Ive had my eye on a Sony a580. Seems like a decent motor and you can do video with it. I would have like to go mirrorless but the a55 and a77 would not work with my favorite Sigma lens because it is so old.

My Book

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography