HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 10:46 AM
Dérive-r

Vancouver Museum changes name to Museum of Vancouver

Not all that exciting of news but kind of interesting nonetheless:

Quote:
Vancouver Museum changes name to Museum of Vancouver
Breaking news: Vancouver Museum adopts radical new direction. Calls itself Museum of Vancouver.

By Pieta Woolley

The Vancouver Museum pumped out an e-newsletter today (April 9) notifying the world that “We are transforming ourselves from an institution into a platform where a community of the curious come to engage in dynamic conversations about what was, what is, and what can be Vancouver.”

The tone: chipper. The reality: it’s got problems. Mainly in attendance.

According to a 2004 city staff report, in 2003, paid (public and school) attendance totalled 53,210—up 19 percent from the pervious year.

A 2005 staff report showed that paid attendance had fallen to 30,709.

Developing audiences and growing attendance has been an ongoing challenge for the Museum ever since it re-opened in 1996,” the 2005 report noted. “In the late 1980’s-early 90’s, total Museum attendance ranged from 72,000 to 98,000 visitors.”

The report added that “attendance has not recovered to the pre-1994 levels”.

Aside from a name change, what’s coming? Shhh. It’s a secret.

“In our next E-news, we will tell you about our transformed look, exhibits, programs, and ideas, which will inspire inquiry into the city. Stay tuned. We are YOUR museum – Museum of Vancouver.”
http://www.straight.com/article-2139...seum-vancouver
By Pieta Woolley

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:05 PM

I highly doubt a name change nor minor improvements to the existing facility would increase attendance.

Get some fundraising rolling, and move out of Kits to either a new facility in downtown or a renovated and expanded facility at the art gallery.

And while we're at it, move the space museum to an expanded Science World.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:08 PM

I don't understand the press release. why did they have to release this? and what did they figure was going to happen by changing their name from "Vancouver Museum" to "Museum of Vancouver"? Probably should have been the latter since its inception.

thanks for posting the article, anyhow, though

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:38 PM

A little imagination here...

Build a 200,000 square foot museum at where the post office building is by either demolishing it or renovating it. Have both permanent exhibits, like the ones at Victoria's Royal BC Museum, and also have significant space that enables you to hold temporary exhibits (like an Egyptian mummy exhibit). I find it sad that Science World is the only true museum we have in this city, while a huge success it's small and is barely able to handle large temporary feature exhibits.

With Science World, throw $70-million at it so it can expand by 60,000 sq. feet and renovate its existing facilities extensively. Part of the new space would be for the space museum to move in, and other space would be for building new exhibit space for the museum.

As for the Maritime Museum at Lonsdale, it's a shame they've cut down the budget from $110 to 90-million, resulting in a decreased space from 110,000 to 80,000 sq. feet

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I don't understand the press release. why did they have to release this?
Do you think they might have called this press release to garner some free publicity?

Quote:
and what did they figure was going to happen by changing their name from "Vancouver Museum" to "Museum of Vancouver"? Probably should have been the latter since its inception.
Yes, had they called it the "Museum of Vancouver" the whole time, it would be a huge success.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:32 PM
BANNED

there's a vancouver museum?? this is the first i've heard of it.. i feel a little ashamed at not knowing about it

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:39 PM

haha...i didn't even know we had a museum either. this might be a silly question, but where is the museum located? on a side note, i was just thinking about the vancouver zoo. most cities have their zoos within the city. why is ours near abbotsford? i've been to it once, and never went back. it's so small, and a bit, in my opinion, out of place. the zoo should be a tourist attraction, but ours is like a small town zoo - almost directed to locals only. i personally think they should relocate the zoo to somewhere a bit closer to vancouver proper (burnaby? richmond?), or if possible IN vancouver?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:01 PM

its in abbotsford because it that use to be that canada games farm

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:34 PM

Quote:
haha...i didn't even know we had a museum either. this might be a silly question, but where is the museum located? on a side note, i was just thinking about the vancouver zoo. most cities have their zoos within the city. why is ours near abbotsford? i've been to it once, and never went back. it's so small, and a bit, in my opinion, out of place. the zoo should be a tourist attraction, but ours is like a small town zoo - almost directed to locals only. i personally think they should relocate the zoo to somewhere a bit closer to vancouver proper (burnaby? richmond?), or if possible IN vancouver?

The Vancouver Museum, or rather Museum of Vancouver, is located at Vanier Park in Kitsilano just west of Burrard Bridge. It has been there since the 1950s.

Both the MoV and space centre are under one roof:

Terrible locations for museums....and of course, the Maritime Museum is located about one km west.

And considering it barely draws 60,000 people a year, can't blame you for not knowing it exists. And I'm sure local NIMBY's forcing the city to ban tourists in their neighbourhood contributed to it.

Once upon a time, Vancouver did have a zoo in its own backyard....in Stanley Park. However, I've gotta admit the animals were far too crowded and in spaces that were unsuitable (though imo, they were treated much better than the animals at the Aldergrove zoo today). Hippies and animal activists got their way, and the city held a referendum on the future of the Stanley Park zoo. The decision was that it would be closed, and so it did in the 1990's. I was pretty young back then, and I remember faintly images of monkeys there. They also had penguins, giraffes, elephants, lions, polar bears, grizzlies, and bunch more....the animals were moved to other zoos, mainly the Aldergrove facility.

Right now, the Aquarium has expansion plans that would basically take over most of the former zoo's lands.

I gotta agree with you....I've proposed before that we should move the Aldergrove facility to Hastings Park.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:39 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro View Post
there's a vancouver museum?? this is the first i've heard of it.. i feel a little ashamed at not knowing about it
are you telling me you have never gone to a lazer light show???

you know, i must of been to that building about 2 dozen times and i never knew it was a museum.

i even once went there to listen to some crazed out hippy talk about crop circles and how aliens are communicating with us

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 1:43 AM

The NIMBY's at Kits Point managed to get the City to ban tour busses which hit the attendance of all the institutions. But when the rich bleat, the NPA jump.

Its not a bad location, easily accessible from Granville Island and by Aquabus.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment