HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:19 AM

San Francisco has moved to ban e-cigarettes. Juul has a backup plan

Quote:
Catherine Ho
June 18, 2019 Updated: June 18, 2019 3:55 p.m.

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors on Tuesday unanimously voted to approve first-of-its-kind legislation to suspend the sale of e-cigarettes in the city, amid concerns over underage use of the addictive nicotine products. The measure is already being challenged by the nation’s largest e-cigarette company Juul, which is laying the groundwork to take the issue to voters in November.

The bill stll requires final approval, but the board voted 11-0 to pass the ordinance on the first reading, telegraphing its intent to make it official as early as next week.

The measure, if passed, would go into effect seven months after it is signed by the mayor. It would halt the sale of e-cigarettes in San Francisco’s brick-and-mortar stores and bar the delivery of e-cigarettes bought online to San Francisco addresses until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration reviews the safety of the products, which it has not yet done . . . .

Juul is collecting signatures for a ballot measure for the November election that would override the board’s e-cigarette ban and allow the sale of vaping products to continue in the city . . . .

The move to ban the sale of e-cigarettes is being hotly contested by the owners of vape shops, corner stores and other small businesses who say they rely on the sale of e-cigarettes to keep their stores open. It has also riled many adult vapers who say they should be able to buy e-cigarettes if they so choose, as long as they’re over 21 . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...php?psid=azob8

It is a city, of course, which has made marijuana smoking nearly ubiquitous and readily available to people of any age, whether from legal sources for those over 21 or the illegal sources that are everywhere (and hardly ever prosecuted).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

It is a city, of course, which has made marijuana smoking nearly ubiquitous and readily available to people of any age, whether from legal sources for those over 21 or the illegal sources that are everywhere (and hardly ever prosecuted).
Yeah...I am sure SF would vote to lower the age to drink to 18 if it could. And of course, smoking weed is considered normal there but God forbid if people smoke on vapes which actually help people kick a habit that actually kills hundreds of thousands of people a year.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:33 AM

^Yeah I gotta say as an ex smoker. Thank god for e-cigarettes and the process of quitting.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm a very heavy drinker. I started vaping with Juul about 2 months ago, and it's helped me reduce my intake A LOT.

I usually roll my eyes when anyone (conservatives) complains about government overreach, but this is actually a prime example of it... Why not just strengthen existing laws? Treat it exactly like alcohol.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:51 PM
The City

An overly bored Government that just needs to pass laws nobody asked for to justify its existence.

Get rid of 50% of our elected representatives, and I’m betting nobody will even notice the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
I'm a very heavy drinker. I started vaping with Juul about 2 months ago, and it's helped me reduce my intake A LOT.

I usually roll my eyes when anyone (conservatives) complains about government overreach, but this is actually a prime example of it... Why not just strengthen existing laws? Treat it exactly like alcohol.
I know what you mean, but my problem is the exact opposite; I was a heavy vaper and 3 months ago I started hitting a quart of gin a day, and got rid of the awful vaping habit.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:

I went into a dispensary in SF last weekend. Security took my ID but it felt like a formality as he gave it back in like less than a second lol. If I was underage I'd have easily gotten. I bought what I needed and wasn't even taxed. Did I mention their ATM had an extra $20 that someone forgot? It was an all around win. It was a nice shop too which was surprising. The ones in LA are definitely more regulated.

Anyway this policy is very much low-hanging fruit. The city has many other problems, including the Homeless Industry Complex that's starting to make a lot of money for a few people (and some of those inside City Hall). Why attack something as meaningless as this is beyond me, but very typical of Bay Area politics.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
I was a heavy vaper and 3 months ago I started hitting a quart of gin a day, and got rid of the awful vaping habit.
Wow, new friends! You two belong in this conversation:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...238096&page=10

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:38 PM
Dryer lint inspector

SF is pretty tiny and how easy is it simply to cross over into Oakland or south of the city limits on the 101 or 280 and buy these things?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
SF is pretty tiny and how easy is it simply to cross over into Oakland or south of the city limits on the 101 or 280 and buy these things?
15-30 minutes across the bridge depending on time of day, or a 10 minute BART ride. Also there's Daly City and South San Fran close by, which are both quicker to get to than Oakland depending on which SF neighborhood you're in. Plus you won't pay a toll coming back into the city if you go there. Businesses in neighboring cities would welcome SF banning e-cigs. Maybe Juul even moves their HQ outside the city if this goes through.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
The city has many other problems, including the Homeless Industry Complex that's starting to make a lot of money for a few people (and some of those inside City Hall). Why attack something as meaningless as this is beyond me, but very typical of Bay Area politics.
Starting to? The "Homeless Industry Complex" has been a fixture of the city for 2-3 decades.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
⅓ of San Franciscans, including, I would guess, a higher percentage of heavy vapers, don't own motor vehicles. The BART fare to Daly City and back (to Civic Center) is $6.50 and I don't know how far you'd have to walk from the Daly City BART station to a vape shop. The fare to West Oakland is similar as is the Bay Bridge toll (but the Bay Bridge traffic is a nightmare--you'd need a heavy hit of something more than nicotine when you got back).

So yeah, no doubt the vape shops and corner groceries on the fringes of SF south and east will do well and probably praise the "wisdom" of the SF Supervisorial overlords.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:16 PM

This is about the big loophole that exists at the federal level for e-cigarettes, particularly in regards to minors, and how the feds don't seem to be in a big hurry to close it. Cigarettes are already regulated by the federal government. So is marijuana.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
⅓ of San Franciscans, including, I would guess, a higher percentage of heavy vapers, don't own motor vehicles. The BART fare to Daly City and back (to Civic Center) is $6.50 and I don't know how far you'd have to walk from the Daly City BART station to a vape shop. The fare to West Oakland is similar as is the Bay Bridge toll (but the Bay Bridge traffic is a nightmare--you'd need a heavy hit of something more than nicotine when you got back).

So yeah, no doubt the vape shops and corner groceries on the fringes of SF south and east will do well and probably praise the "wisdom" of the SF Supervisorial overlords.
It would motivate people to simply stock up when they're out and about and already in Daly City or Oakland for other reasons. Smokers who live in proximity to an Indian reservation will load up on cartons of cigarettes when they're in the area.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:28 PM

Was reading about this earlier. Apparently big business will still get to sell e-cigs it's small businesses that get screwed over just like the plastic straw ban.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Meanwhile, housing crisis continues and the homeless poop on the street. Traffic is abysmal and prices give folks asinine commutes. Put that on the back burner, and lets focus on working on e-cig ban legislation.

Your middle-class folks can barely afford housing, and anything lower than middle class, good luck.

San Francisco is on the wrong track, and long-term will see its decline and rightfully should because its leadership is driving the city towards the wrong track.

Forget buying... just RENTING is an issue.

California needs new leadership.

What a train wreck of a city, and its a shame. When people start leaving the metro in droves, maybe than it'll wake up.

Its why they call it the California dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it.

The issue is not e-cigs, but the work that is being done with the local government. The priorities are all messed up. This is just a waste of time and resources, bigger fish to fry while the population continues to stress. Thank goodness weed is legal at least, so you can get high after a crap commute and knowing you pay 50+% on housing alone.

PEOPLE who have MONEY will disregard what I said, but the city might be fine for you, but isn't for the masses. Quite frankly, your voice is not important, as it does not represent the rest of the city, and is a small niche of those that are affluent. Your PD/FD, teachers, small business owners, non-tech EE's suffer. While salaries might be high, it does not help one iota.

A city that once welcomed immigrants is now a gated community. A club.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:06 PM

San Francisco is definitely a gated community but that gate is also broken, and the city refuses to fix what's inside. Priorities are all jacked up all over the Bay. As long as "I got mine then screw you" is the attitude that's been winning for the last 20 years at least, and has only gotten worse with the recent tech boom.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

And I say what I say because I care. Its not to offend, but because I care. I see the same crap slowly happening in NYC, and I'm telling yah, in 5-10 years, you will see the metastasis of these policies in play, and people will leave the city. It will become more anti-business. Its just not good for long-term growth.

There needs to be a balance. Just like any city that goes to far to the right, one that goes to far to the left is equally just as unstable.

But people are catching on to DeBlasio. Wouldn't suprise me if thats not what will be elected next election in NYC. People like AOC, again, starting to piss people off in NYC.

Change is long due to come. Guilliani was great, Bloomberg was great, and at first... Deblasio was actually okay, but once he got a hard-on for the presidential election, the bull shit started, and now its more about making a name for himself to appease the left base.

Now its not about NYC, but his selfish ass, and New Yorkers are seeing this.

I apologies, but I get really triggered when I see bs like this occur. People out there struggling, and these local governments focus on bull shit to begin with. NYC should never become a gated community. Not being one is what made it great. All it will due is slowly kill the culture, the diversity, and turn it into a stale area where folks of all classes can't live.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:54 PM

C'mon guys, read the article. It's not a permanent ban.

Quote:
It would halt the sale of e-cigarettes in San Francisco’s brick-and-mortar stores and bar the delivery of e-cigarettes bought online to San Francisco addresses until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration reviews the safety of the products, which it has not yet done.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:56 PM

Hahahaha! Everyone's all moded!

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions