HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 9:00 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Mt, Baldy is maybe 30-40 miles from DTLA, so there is a telephoto lens assist to the stunning photo. Still definitely a postcard photo.
Mt. Baldy isn't needed for a stunning mountain backdrop. Here's a different vantage point from Palos Verdes showing what's most likely Strawberry Peak, which is just 15 miles from Downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Flying into LAX today would've been nice:

gregggentry / instagram

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:54 PM
Sonoma Strong

Beach, downtown and mountains all in one shot!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
What did I say that wasn't true? Yes, demo permits for the Hooters were issued months ago. The wall for ads + the extra surface parking is a smart move near-term with how much parking has disappeared in the area.

Do you have a link for the building/construction permit? Take your time, no rush.
Permits for demo haven’t been issued yet. The fencing was necessary to attain those permits. Once they are issued, demo will begin. Hence, the purpose of the wall is to proceed with demolition, which was my point.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 5:07 PM

Video Link

Wisdome in arts district.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Video Link

Wisdome in arts district.
Are those permanent structures?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:29 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hopefully Oceanwide can get the funding going. At the north end of the Vegas strip, there was a huge unfinished hotel tower that has set for 10 years since the 2008 financial crisis rusting. I think work has resumed on it. Hoperfully back in gear at Oceanwide in Feb. like the article in the Times Friday said. I am hopeful. The exterior is almost finished. It will be completed. There still is a housing shortage.
Yeah, when I heard that work stopped, I thought of the Fontainebleau in Vegas as well. But I don't think Oceanwide will suffer the same fate. I think they'll secure funding soon and finish, its topped out and nearly complete, maybe at 90% Complete. The Fontainebleau Was topped out but fell apart in the middle of the Recession. If the worse happens, if anything, Oceanwide will be sold off to somebody else to finish.

One think I feel we'll have to say BYE BYE too is that wrap around ribbon display that they haven't even started construction on yet on fig and 12th. I hope not

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:02 AM

Lightbulb

So is this the best AEG could do for their glorious expansion ? I'm confused. It was valued engineered right from the start. Why not recycle their other tower ? bring it back from the dead after their tantrum. At least that one looks 10 years old rather than 40 years old. I wouldn't put this thing anywhere, not even the Midwest. I wouldn't even put it in hell.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...qMK7H9_zQddoXp

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...H9vrkRzhHPkBy7

Might be a "what can be" mock up by AEG but.....Its a pretty stupid mockup

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:56 PM

That design hasn't been confirmed by anyone

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:35 PM

^^^ I almost had a heart attack. Well that's good I guess. I hope its not.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
So is this the best AEG could do for their glorious expansion ? I'm confused. It was valued engineered right from the start. Why not recycle their other tower ? bring it back from the dead after their tantrum. At least that one looks 10 years old rather than 40 years old. I wouldn't put this thing anywhere, not even the Midwest. I wouldn't even put it in hell.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...qMK7H9_zQddoXp

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...H9vrkRzhHPkBy7

Might be a "what can be" mock up by AEG but.....Its a pretty stupid mockup
Looks like a modern retro take on brutalism. Preferable to all the generic glass boxes. Could this be a new trend?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Mt. Baldy isn't needed for a stunning mountain backdrop. Here's a different vantage point from Palos Verdes showing what's most likely Strawberry Peak, which is just 15 miles from Downtown.
With all these big storms & mountain snow now, once the storms clear hopefully expect to see some new stunning photos posted here in the next few days with L.A. skyline and snowy San Gabriels in backround looking like the Alps. Lots of potential postcard photos.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:54 AM

Tbh, the little protrusion at the intersection of 12th & Fig isn’t that big of a deal. I just hope they still have a screen at all. This year will be the best year since 2017 to take photos around LA. All the rain really does transform the landscape and make it so much more beautiful.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:56 AM

It also is going a long way in helping the burn areas recover. Malibu Creek State Park was always on my list, but I never had the chance to go. Some of the transformation photos from just a couple months ago are pretty astonishing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
It also is going a long way in helping the burn areas recover. Malibu Creek State Park was always on my list, but I never had the chance to go. Some of the transformation photos from just a couple months ago are pretty astonishing.
The trouble is when the rain comes in torrents in an El Nino "pineapple express", you can get massive erosion and mudslides. Better to have slow rains and a series of smaller storms that can soak in. But beggars can't be choosers. We do need the rain. Hopefully spread out over a few weeks or months.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 3, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
The trouble is when the rain comes in torrents in an El Nino "pineapple express", you can get massive erosion and mudslides. Better to have slow rains and a series of smaller storms that can soak in. But beggars can't be choosers. We do need the rain. Hopefully spread out over a few weeks or months.
The LA river is insane right now. Havent seen it this full since I was kid and the last proper El Nino came through.
(not my video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzoNfFX-4_Y

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
How about 40 years ago...
2016-12-10-0002-1 by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Anyone know, on a clear day, those living in the higher floors of the new condo buildings downtown, they can spot the ocean? Or from the Wilshire Grand Hotel? When I had an apartment on the 38th floor of a high rise in Minneapolis, I had a 30 mile view to the south.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
The LA river is insane right now. Havent seen it this full since I was kid and the last proper El Nino came through.
(not my video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzoNfFX-4_Y
LOL at the newbie commentator being scared. If the LA River is great at anything, it’s rushing water out to the ocean. Drought-busting winter I hope.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:37 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Anyone know, on a clear day, those living in the higher floors of the new condo buildings downtown, they can spot the ocean? Or from the Wilshire Grand Hotel? When I had an apartment on the 38th floor of a high rise in Minneapolis, I had a 30 mile view to the south.
On clear days, the Pacific is easily visible from office/condo buildings in DTLA with a clear view to the west or south. Santa Monica is less than 20 miles to the west, Long Beach a bit more to the south. Catalina Island is sometimes visible as well.

Sometime this week, after the last storm blows out (by Tuesday/Wed) and while the air is still crystal clear, there will be a great opportunity to take photos of the downtown skyline with all the new buildings, and the snowy San Gabriel Mountains behind them. If I still lived in LA I'd be one of the photographers. I'm told the Kenneth Hahn Park overlook in the Baldwin Hills is one of the best places to take such photos of DTLA/mountains (maybe people can share other such good DTLA/mountain view spots). Some of these photos should be spectacular if anyone takes them. The snow level is supposed to get down to 3000 feet in this last storm, so the mountains will be spectacular.
Hopefully people will post these photos here! Getting a good photo will ease the pain of losing to the Patriots.

Photographers--amateur & pro--get yee up to an overlook this week!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
LOL at the newbie commentator being scared. If the LA River is great at anything, it’s rushing water out to the ocean. Drought-busting winter I hope.
Many spots are already approaching seasonal rain totals, and we still have almost all of Feb & all of March left, usually among the 2 rainiest months. Dare I hope for a 30+ inch year that L.A. has gotten in a few past el nino years? The annual seasonal record is about 38 inches in DTLA (and much more in the coastal foothills and San Gabriels). But that would bring floods. 20-25 inches would be better. Would sure help bust the drought, &help the plants & wild animals that can badly use it. Hopefully the rain is spread out among several storms so flooding is minimized (especially in the burn areas), and the rain can soak into the soil and do good for the plants/animals. I'm tired of yellow brown aridity. Want to see green and ferns and healthy trees this Spring in the canyons like the old days when the rains came.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 4, 2019 at 11:10 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations