HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
What's wrong with the Bay Area thread? It's confusing tbh haha
no need for a Bay Area thread. SF thread and San Jose thread...maybe Oakland(Alameda County)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 5:31 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Removing approximately 75 Heritage Trees for more suburban sprawl is sad.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwin517 View Post
You guys should post everything in Santa Clara County in the San Jose thread on this site.
Why should people post non-SJ projects in the SJ thread?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Why should people post non-SJ projects in the SJ thread?
Milpitas and Sunnyvale are burbs of San Jose. Same reason people post about Santa Monica and West Hollywood developments in the LA thread.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 8:24 PM
Sonoma Strong

What about East Bay and North Bay projects. This thread is definitely needed.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Milpitas and Sunnyvale are burbs of San Jose. Same reason people post about Santa Monica and West Hollywood developments in the LA thread.
The Metro LA thread. This is the Metro SF thread.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
The Metro LA thread. This is the Metro SF thread.
Right, and Milpitas and Sunnyvale are part of the San Jose Metro area, that's why I simply said developments in Milpitas should be part of the San Jose thread. This thread is fine for San Mateo and East Bay developments.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Right, and Milpitas and Sunnyvale are part of the San Jose Metro area, that's why I simply said developments in Milpitas should be part of the San Jose thread. This thread is fine for San Mateo and East Bay developments.
San Mateo and the East Bay (and marin) are within the SF metro area. So by your logic it should all be included in the SF thread...so why do you want east/north bay and peninsula suburbs to be in the Bay Area thread instead of the SF thread, while simultaneously calling for south bay suburbs to get lumped into the SJ thread?

make up your mind

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
San Mateo and the East Bay (and marin) are within the SF metro area. So by your logic it should all be included in the SF thread...so why do you want east/north bay and peninsula suburbs to be in the Bay Area thread instead of the SF thread, while simultaneously calling for south bay suburbs to get lumped into the SJ thread?

make up your mind
Maybe scroll up and read my previous comments.

no need for a Bay Area thread. SF thread and San Jose thread...maybe Oakland(Alameda County)

My original comment was Milpitas "Fields" development should be lumped in the San Jose thread since it is a burb of San Jose.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe scroll up and read my previous comments.

My original comment was Milpitas "Fields" development should be lumped in the San Jose thread since it is a burb of San Jose.
Given the commute patterns, one could call San Jose a burb of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara

I think it's fine for SJ to have it's own thread, it has very active posters. But places like Fremont/Santa Clara/Sunnyvale/Palo Alto are fine in this Bay Area thread in my opinion. It's nice having all the suburban development in one easy spot to check out!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 11:23 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
I think it's fine for SJ to have its own thread; it has very active posters. But places like Fremont/Santa Clara/Sunnyvale/Palo Alto are fine in this Bay Area thread in my opinion. It's nice having all the suburban development in one easy spot to check out!
I agree with this.

from my usual starting point of http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/tags...=san+francisco , the organizational scheme of the threads I discern is that, besides the (almost always SF) projects that get their own dedicated threads, there is one for 'everything else in SF proper' and one for 'everything else in the rest of the Bay Area' (this latter of which, by its own description, includes Marin, Sonoma, Solano, Napa, Contra Costa, Alameda, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties).

if we now want to have a thread dedicated to San Jose specifically because the number of projects there - and people posting about them - warrants it, totally fine. but I don't think we need to disrupt the existing scheme more than that.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:54 AM
heavy user of walkability

San Carlos transit village starting to look like something

while work continues on the parking lot south of the station

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:28 PM

I remember when that lot was empty. Glad to see it "topped off"

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:31 PM

Video: Huge fire tearing through Oakland construction project

"at Valdez and 23rd Streets, engulfing the six-story, multi-use building at the site . . . . The site also has a crane that could be in danger of collapsing . . . ."

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 5:41 PM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 8:12 PM

It seems that a lot of what gets posted in this thread relates to suburban development (nothing wrong with that of course). It would be nice to see Oakland and San Jose have their own threads (San Jose has one going already) because they are each their own cities with a plethora of projects going on within them. A serious under representation of projects going on in Oakland right now. Perhaps one of these days i will have the time to get one going

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorQuinbee View Post
It seems that a lot of what gets posted in this thread relates to suburban development (nothing wrong with that of course). It would be nice to see Oakland and San Jose have their own threads (San Jose has one going already) because they are each their own cities with a plethora of projects going on within them. A serious under representation of projects going on in Oakland right now. Perhaps one of these days i will have the time to get one going
Unless you also have the time to keep it going, why bother? You can see from the amount of posting in this thread that there simply aren't a lot of Oakland posters. I would guess I've posted as much about Oakland as anyone and I don't even live there (e.g the 2 posts above yours on which no one has commented). To justify a thread, there needs to be a group of people willing and able to do what several SF posters do: Travel around the city taking pictures of ongoing projects to keep the information about them current. Oakland hasn't had such a group unless you are willing to do it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 4:40 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Unless you also have the time to keep it going, why bother? You can see from the amount of posting in this thread that there simply aren't a lot of Oakland posters. I would guess I've posted as much about Oakland as anyone and I don't even live there (e.g the 2 posts above yours on which no one has commented). To justify a thread, there needs to be a group of people willing and able to do what several SF posters do: Travel around the city taking pictures of ongoing projects to keep the information about them current. Oakland hasn't had such a group unless you are willing to do it.
I always wished there were more east bay posters on here too. I lived there for five years, still keep up with what's happening, and go back pretty frequently. I have not contributed to this thread much, but I've always had it bookmarked. While what's happening in the city is certainly interesting, I've seen a lot of exciting development happening in Oakland, but also even beyond into Walnut Creek and Lafayette. It's amazing, if somewhat commendable, that Walnut Creek, an otherwise cookie-cutter 90s suburb, is actively willing to reposition itself as a third city to SF and Oakland. I am a firm believer in the regional approach to absorbing more density as a solution to the entire Bay Area's housing crisis, so I find any east bay or south bay infill far more exciting than most of the very modest and somewhat underwhelming developments happening in the city.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 3:03 PM

Yeah, there's rarely any posts on the East Bay and the only threads I keep going to are SF, the whole Bay Area and San Jose threads. I'm not that up to date on what's going on in Oakland and wished there were more members from that area to update the thread.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
I always wished there were more east bay posters on here too. I lived there for five years, still keep up with what's happening, and go back pretty frequently. I have not contributed to this thread much, but I've always had it bookmarked. While what's happening in the city is certainly interesting, I've seen a lot of exciting development happening in Oakland, but also even beyond into Walnut Creek and Lafayette. It's amazing, if somewhat commendable, that Walnut Creek, an otherwise cookie-cutter 90s suburb, is actively willing to reposition itself as a third city to SF and Oakland. I am a firm believer in the regional approach to absorbing more density as a solution to the entire Bay Area's housing crisis, so I find any east bay or south bay infill far more exciting than most of the very modest and somewhat underwhelming developments happening in the city.
A while back in this thread I posted some new developments and proposals from Walnut Creek and got little interest. I agree it is one of the most underrated areas as far as Bay Area suburbs go and has a lot of potential. Nearby Lafayette has little room to grow besides the BART parking lots but Walnut Creek from the BART station down to Broadway Plaza has tons of strip malls and parking lots and are starting to be turned into midrise mix use developments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations