HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:37 PM

^^^ Yeah they are filming today and tomorrow at UBC's Buchanan tower. It is set up right now as a sort of jail scene. Looks kinda cool, Buchanan tower already looks like a jail so they didnt have to do much set up hahaha.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 12:09 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeP8Vf0gYq4

Link to the trailer on Youtube. If they followed Canadian history at all, looks like the movie will run from atleast War of 1812 to Juno Beach to present... Though I'm a little worries seeing as how they used Huey's (might be a twin-Iroquois), and Hummers rather than Griffons and LSVW's & G-wagons vs. Hummers... Though the Hummers are used by JTF 2, and as I said about the Hueys, they may be Twin-Iroquois, which have been in mothballs since the mid-1990s.

I really hope that based on the military hardware they don't reset him to being an American... And if it is Canada, it's nice to see it without snow in a movie.

Last edited by Canadian Mind; Jan 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:08 PM

I don't know if you guys are a big fan of "Frontiers of Construction." They have had a number of filmings in Vancouver for the series. What comes to mind is:
1. BCIT building upgrades
2. Pipeline "pushing" below Fraser River
3. Lions gate upgrade (is playing now on Discovery Civilization with a bunch of renovations also in the same hour)
4. Granville bridge upgrade (really old! Mid-90s Just look at West End/Yaletown in the shots)
5. Grouse mountain ski run expansion

I can't think of many others, but I wish they would make more the these series. I haven't seen any new ones in the past couple of years.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:31 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
I don't know if you guys are a big fan of "Frontiers of Construction." They have had a number of filmings in Vancouver for the series. What comes to mind is:
1. BCIT building upgrades
2. Pipeline "pushing" below Fraser River
3. Lions gate upgrade (is playing now on Discovery Civilization with a bunch of renovations also in the same hour)
4. Granville bridge upgrade (really old! Mid-90s Just look at West End/Yaletown in the shots)
5. Grouse mountain ski run expansion

I can't think of many others, but I wish they would make more the these series. I haven't seen any new ones in the past couple of years.
I love this show but it's one of the few Discovery HD shows that still isn't filmed in HD. When will they get with the program?!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:03 PM

^^ From what I gather, they stopped production in 2001...at least according to IMDB. It's a shame, as Discovery channel and its related channels has really gone downhill. Btw, TLC used the be the channel to watch for construction and new technologies and developments. I have an old 4 hour recording from 1998 of random shows that were on....all I can say is that these shows were actually interesting and fascinating. They also had a few Vancouver only projects, but I forgot under what name the series went.
It's also quite interesting to watch Discover and National Geographic in Europe...which have way more interesting things on. They only play a very small fraction of the shows they broadcast there over here.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:51 PM

CTV runs Discovery channel in Canada and they just don't have the money to support it

so they don't buy the newer programming - I believe its like how a franchise works and they have to buy the programming from the Parent company

so they buy what they can

it really sucks

especially in canada if you want HD you have to pay extra for crap programming - they should just let the american feed come here

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I think Vancouver's track record is much better in terms of TV series...Battlestar Galactica anyone?
I was thinking that too. Let's not forget MacGuyver, 21 Jump St and the X-Files which were all hit shows.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Feb 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 9:51 PM

lots of pilots and things being filmed this spring

Twilight Sequel - with Dakota Fanning!
V - new ABC TV Series - Pilot
Human Target - TV Series based on a DC comic
Fringe - has moved production here

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 10:11 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Harper's Island is also being filmed on Gabriola Island. Although that one is a "horror"/"suspense" show, which I don't think will do well.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 10:20 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
lots of pilots and things being filmed this spring

V - new ABC TV Series - Pilot
would this be a remake of the original V mini series? because that would be awesome.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 4:19 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I was thinking that too. Let's not forget MacGuyver, 21 Jump St and the X-Files which were all hit shows.
Don't watch it myself, but "Stargate" and "Stargate Atlantis" are pretty popular.

Smallville, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and Highlander too.

And lest we forget, Danger Bay and The Beachcombers. (dating myself here)

And yes, I think that it is a remake of the "V" mini-series.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Harper's Island is also being filmed on Gabriola Island. Although that one is a "horror"/"suspense" show, which I don't think will do well.
at least that one was made to only last a certain amount of episodes so people might get sucked in - maybe more Canadian shows will be done weith shorter runs like the brits do instead of the way the american shows work

found this about "V"

Quote:
Now, Warner Bros. wants to try again and ABC has given the project a greenlight. This time around, The 4400’s co-creator/exec producer, Scott Peters, has the reins. Kenneth Johnson, the original’s writer/producer, isn’t involved with the ABC project.

The new series pilot will focus on a Homeland Security agent named Erica Evans. She has an aimless son who attaches himself to the newly-arrived aliens, causing lots of tension at home. Like the original, the new V will center around aliens who say they’ve come to Earth to help but have other motivations. Because this is a reworking of the original story, it’s doubtful that any of the performers from the original will reprise their roles.

If the pilot impresses network execs and gets a go-ahead, will the new series outlast the original? Other recent remakes of NBC 1980s shows, like Bionic Woman and Knight Rider, have been critical and viewer disappointments. Perhaps the new V will be different. One way or another though, these aliens just refuse to go away.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/v...n-new-tv-show/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:51 PM
victory in near

gawd, it will only be good if michael ironside is in it.

remember, they come in peace to enslave humankind.

too awesome

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
remember, they come in peace to enslave humankind.
too awesome
National political leaders?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 9:06 AM

This popped into my head a couple weeks ago and I'm hoping someone will remember this:

There was a kid's sci fi movie (where kids commanded a space ship that was found, I don't remember it fully) - I don't recall the name? Anyone know it? I remember seeing it during the CBC disney hour. Anyway, it was partially shot on the grounds of Expo 86, I remember the Monorail and a few other things.

Anyone remember the name of this movie?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 1:11 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 3:22 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
This popped into my head a couple weeks ago and I'm hoping someone will remember this:

There was a kid's sci fi movie (where kids commanded a space ship that was found, I don't remember it fully) - I don't recall the name? Anyone know it? I remember seeing it during the CBC disney hour. Anyway, it was partially shot on the grounds of Expo 86, I remember the Monorail and a few other things.

Anyone remember the name of this movie?
Flight of the Navigator?

Speaking of movies... I watched "Are we there yet?" with Ice Cube. Fun fluff movie you don't need to think about. Tonnes of very Vancouver scenes. The premise of the movie is even a trip from Portland to Vancouver, BC. Good for the kids.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 4:05 PM
testify

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 9:27 PM

i really wanna see it i guess i will wait

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 10:10 PM
Registered Loser

does anyone know what street was used in hot rod for the steep street-luge scene?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion