HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:26 PM

Some saw activity today at the old Chester's location (not the Fingers Wine Bar one). There was a junk truck removing stuff, so maybe something is finally happening with the new owner.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 12:49 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

believe it or not a 99 year land lease with a different building owner that goes back to the landlord is not uncommon when the developer can't buy the land or won't but two /three generations of rent money is fine.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:15 PM
Forever forward.

Hamilton Air Traffic Control (Landmark 21) is having their balconies replaced. Maybe they'll get the slick black almost-opaque glass ones and then reclad the rest of the tower? One can hope.

original size here, my image

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 6:13 PM
Ham-burgher

Looks like they're doing something to the concrete too -- note the new horizontal ribs and the lines and strips of discolouration (crack sealant?). Perhaps it will be clad in paneling?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 7:48 PM

been watching this for a few weeks. They are simply replacing the panelling which gives me little hope that they'll do anything but replace the balconies.
One sliver of hope comes from the fact that they literally tore the balconies off. Replacing with concrete would be more expensive than a glass or frosted glass frame. Here's hoping...this building needs all the help it can get.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 8:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
been watching this for a few weeks. They are simply replacing the panelling which gives me little hope that they'll do anything but replace the balconies.
One sliver of hope comes from the fact that they literally tore the balconies off. Replacing with concrete would be more expensive than a glass or frosted glass frame. Here's hoping...this building needs all the help it can get.
From the original pic on Imgur, looks to me that they've added horizontal ribbing that juts out from the original concrete surface, along with vertical pieces at the building corners. Leads me to believe some kind of paneling will be added.

And the balcony platforms look like they're still original, with patching. They removed the vertical guard panels for replacement.

Done well this could be a huge improvement. Done cheaply...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 10:35 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
From the original pic on Imgur, looks to me that they've added horizontal ribbing that juts out from the original concrete surface, along with vertical pieces at the building corners. Leads me to believe some kind of paneling will be added.

And the balcony platforms look like they're still original, with patching. They removed the vertical guard panels for replacement.

Done well this could be a huge improvement. Done cheaply...
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about... they've been there since at least 2015 according to Google Maps.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 10:38 PM

The old balcony guards used to be coated cinderblock with a metal railing and frosted glass dividers. They've been removing the old block guardrails and restoring the slab edges which makes me think this will be getting glass railings of some sort.

Their building permit says they're going to be installing EIFS panels aka stucco but I'm not sure about how much of the building will be getting refinished.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 12:27 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootaround View Post
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about... they've been there since at least 2015 according to Google Maps.
Thanks. I hadn't noticed, haven't looked at it up close in a while.

Wait and see I guess, per what davidcappi has noted.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 10:47 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
The old balcony guards used to be coated cinderblock with a metal railing and frosted glass dividers. They've been removing the old block guardrails and restoring the slab edges which makes me think this will be getting glass railings of some sort.

Their building permit says they're going to be installing EIFS panels aka stucco but I'm not sure about how much of the building will be getting refinished.
Is there a way to lookup building permits online or are we still stuck in the 18th century here?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 6:05 PM

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 6:57 PM
Hamilton Historian

yeah you can still see the old concrete balconies on the right hand side.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 4:20 PM
Ham-burgher

A video and more pics of the shipping container house on Arkledun, from The Spec:

Source story:
Hamilton’s first shipping container home rises on Arkledun Avenue -- The Hamilton Spectator (Jul 06, 2018; by Jon Wells)

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:43 AM

Hoping the slowdown in starts course corrects. One would think the upward movement in prics in Toronto being published would once again push demand in Hamilton. So many residential tower developments on paper but very little follow through.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:44 PM

The boom in Hamilton was because you could get a pretty great house for 300k, now that those houses are gone things have quieted down quite a bit.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:46 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
The boom in Hamilton was because you could get a pretty great house for 300k, now that those houses are gone things have quieted down quite a bit.

They can still get a nice house in Hamilton for half of what it would cost in Toronto. It's just a natural reset when a slowdown occurs. The market values haven't really gone down and sales will pick up again.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 10:00 PM

Update on Landmark Place. Looks like the area between the windows is getting a dark brown stucco finish. I can also see what looks like a lighter beige/tan coloured paint on the underside of one of the refurbished balcony slabs. As you can see they've got railing frames and partitions up on one of the balconies awaiting glass. Looks like a brown/bronze finish railing, so I'd imagine the glass will be a similar colour.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 4:18 AM
Ham-burgher

Interesting. Some contrast on the tower may liven up the old concrete Hulkette... or the changes may end up being porcine lip makeup.

An open mind I shall keep.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:10 AM
Hammer'd

Should look great for about the next 15 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 9:08 PM
Forever forward.

I think it has the potential to look better...

but only if they colour the entirety of the tower. If they just colour the concrete under the windows that won't be much of an upgrade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton