HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 4:03 PM
Burming Hammer

^Highland / Forest Park / Avondale areas definitely exhibit some of those qualities you mention. Some of the most urban/walkable residential areas in the state, IMO. the irregular grids, of course, are owed to the hilly topography.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I didn't realize this before following this thread, and then subsequently exploring Birmingham a bit more via Google Earth, but B-ham has some great, quirky neighborhoods in the sense that they have irregular grids that can foster a amazing, symbiotic districts if developed right.
I'd never really though about it like that, haha. Of course, many of these areas were tiny little villages, landmarks, homesteads, or hamlets before Birmingham was founded in 1873 and their locations just made sense as a place for a few roads to converge among the large street grid. Five Points itself was one of the city's first streetcar suburbs.

Of course, when the white flight occurred, many of these areas (most notably Five Points South, Lakeview, and Avondale) lost their sense of place and have only recently begun to grow into definable boundaries. But, really, I don't think you could ever say Five Points South ever lost its sense of place.

Either way, I love Birmingham's street grid. It gives the city a big advantage over cities like Atlanta or Nashville whose grids aren't as prevalent. It'll definitely be an asset as walk able communities become more and more desirable.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Nov 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 7:18 AM
Everywhere all at once

I guess it struck me that way because here in New York, one neighborhood that most notably defies Manhattan's very strict grid is the West Village...which just so happens to be one of the most famous and desirable areas of the city. Imagine marrying that with Birmingham's distinct topography... it could be spectacular.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 9:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I guess it struck me that way because here in New York, one neighborhood that most notably defies Manhattan's very strict grid is the West Village...which just so happens to be one of the most famous and desirable areas of the city. Imagine marrying that with Birmingham's distinct topography... it could be spectacular.
I can only imagine.

That was something I enjoyed about Manhattan. There were unique neighborhoods that easily defined themselves without feeling like they didn't belong in th city. In Birmingham, Five Points does that; I just hope other neighborhoods will continue to. So far, places like Five Points, Lakeview, and Avondale are building on that kind of synergy.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:41 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Updated master list with picture of Stockyard @ Railroad Park development.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
Burming Hammer

great job, tasc! appreciate you keeping this thing updated.

might want to add the u.s. treasury building to the "under construction" list... there are renderings and some more info on the next to last page of the Birmingham Development News thread in the Southeast subsection. kind of a bland design, but still a fairly significant investment.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 4:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
great job, tasc! appreciate you keeping this thing updated.

might want to add the u.s. treasury building to the "under construction" list... there are renderings and some more info on the next to last page of the Birmingham Development News thread in the Southeast subsection. kind of a bland design, but still a fairly significant investment.
I will begrudgingly do so...

EDIT: But at the moment I am totally drunk and I will focus on this issue tomorrow (Sunday, Nov 24th).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 3:52 PM

New Federal Bldgs.

I guess we can thank 9-11 for these suburban-type buildings on the edges of downtown. However, I am glad we have been able to retain these types of jobs more or less in the core of the city.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:10 PM

Downtown's St. Paul's Cathedral to undergo a $6.5 million exterior renovation.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 4:09 AM
Burming Hammer

^ i was wondering about that... passed it today after leaving the Y, and scaffolding was covering up the entire front facade. also looks like they chopped some of the trees in front down

speaking of facelifts... Ross Bridge also getting one, apparently: Remodeling price tag for Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa to top $5.2 million

Last edited by TimCity2000; Nov 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:12 PM

Has anyone heard anything regarding the amphitheater stage at Railroad Park? The last I heard was they were raising money and that was at least 3 or 4 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:30 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
Burming Hammer

for what it's worth, i'm glad to see all this new development, but these apartment proposals are all starting to look the same. similar massing, height, blocking. none of them really stand out, although none are that obtrusive either. just kind of.... boring.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:05 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
for what it's worth, i'm glad to see all this new development, but these apartment proposals are all starting to look the same. similar massing, height, blocking. none of them really stand out, although none are that obtrusive either. just kind of.... boring.
They do look really boring and cookie cutter... but, this isn't really something endemic to Birmingham. This huge apartment projects being constructed all around the country are pretty uninspired in their architecture so it's not really all that surprising. Given time, maybe it will change. I really wish this projects would draw from the design of Regions Field, that would be a really interesting neighborhood to look at.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Master list updated with info/images about the previously mentioned apartment project next to Regions Field.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
They do look really boring and cookie cutter... but, this isn't really something endemic to Birmingham. This huge apartment projects being constructed all around the country are pretty uninspired in their architecture so it's not really all that surprising. Given time, maybe it will change. I really wish this projects would draw from the design of Regions Field, that would be a really interesting neighborhood to look at.
Yes you are so right, I love to Google "Mixed Use Developments" and click on images, and these thing just pop up in just about every other image. But some of them are nice like the U Loop near the University of Cincinnati. But I have not seen one that just blows me away.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 9:05 PM

Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Yes you are so right, I love to Google "Mixed Use Developments" and click on images, and these thing just pop up in just about every other image. But some of them are nice like the U Loop near the University of Cincinnati. But I have not seen one that just blows me away.
Actually, the renderings we have seen do look a lot like Regions Field which looks a lot like most of the buildings on the UAB campus. And I suspect this approach was taken to get these projects through the design review process. This means that unless someone decides to break with tradition on the next few projects, that sea of red brick will continue to the railroad tracks and perhaps beyond. Not sure how I feel about that yet!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 10:21 PM
Burming Hammer

i think it's safe to say that VERY few cities in the country are touching birmingham when it comes to the preservation and expansion of green space within city limits.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
i think it's safe to say that VERY few cities in the country are touching birmingham when it comes to the preservation and expansion of green space within city limits.
Sorry, but you left out a little Ole city 130 miles ENE of you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations