HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 2:01 PM
Man on a mission

Eastside, just to update you. The ramp is still open. According to the radio one of the neccessary peices of equipment didn't arrive so they couldn't open the new temporary ramp.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 9:18 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Eastside, just to update you. The ramp is still open. According to the radio one of the neccessary peices of equipment didn't arrive so they couldn't open the new temporary ramp.
Okay, thanks for the update!

A mere 5-stories, yet touting the wonderful views from the upper floors?!? You have got to be kidding me LOL

It's a nice looking building and I am glad to FINALLY see some movement on the NGP, but they could do much better than this.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 11:51 AM
Man on a mission

You have a point. Although I have thought that a building of similar stature to this project would have some nice views of the city if built in the Alison Hill region. The property to build it on would probably go pretty cheap too.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 12:02 AM
HERO

i was in harrisburg this weekend and theres still a crane up that was up like, 3 monthes ago when i was there and there still isnt anything above the skyline (from a west shore veiw) is whatevers being built ever gonna be part of the skyline?

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 12:23 PM
Man on a mission

As you looked from the west shore was it to the left of the Capital? If so that crane is doing work on the judical center at the Capital Complex. It won't be rising above the skyline. The reason it is there so long is the building has extensive stone work that must be lifted into place. The frame has been up for a long time (many months), but they are only about half to 3/4 of the way up with the masonary. The building will fit in very well with the surroundings.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 1:34 PM

Harrisburg Development Page

I have decided to document the status of major development projects in Harrisburg. To accomplish this, I have begun the Harrisburg Development Page. None of the information hosted there is new. It all has been recorded in press releases, newspaper articles, and public records. This information has not been consolidated into one place, until now! I plan to keep it updated, and I look forward to your tips for new or missed projects or updates. In the future, you’ll always find a link to it in my sidebar.

http://karnsquality.com/harrisburg-development-page/

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 9:11 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh View Post
I have decided to document the status of major development projects in Harrisburg. To accomplish this, I have begun the Harrisburg Development Page. None of the information hosted there is new. It all has been recorded in press releases, newspaper articles, and public records. This information has not been consolidated into one place, until now! I plan to keep it updated, and I look forward to your tips for new or missed projects or updates. In the future, you’ll always find a link to it in my sidebar.

http://karnsquality.com/harrisburg-development-page/
WOW, what a cool site and thanks for sharing, yosh! Welcome aboard, and talk about an entrance!

I have added your site to the first page w/ the project rundown and credited you. If I forgot anything major on there, please let me know, everyone. You all are my eyes and ears, seeing as I don't live there anymore and go back twice a year (if that LOL).

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 4:16 PM
Man on a mission

Space Crunch

This one isn't on the first page although it was referenced several times in the past on this thread.

This one also didn't make Pennlive.com

The business section of Patriot News has more information about the 36,000sq. ft. building to go on 3003 N. Front street. It is supposedly about to finalize leases for 78% of the building. Will have parking for 72 cars. The article claims that there is not a lot of space available to downtown development. I can't really agree with that. I can site several very promising spots right now. Probably not at a competitive price though. This building is one block North of where they wouldn't let Mary Knackstedt build the condos.

Reed is quoted as saying:
We're essentially out of land in downtown. This is a predicament we haven't had for 60 or 70 years.
He goes on to spout a bit about the Southern Gateway, and his desire to push downtown towards front and Paxton Streets. I guess it is time for me to buy properties on Washington Street and other South Front street properties.... heheh

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:10 PM
Me?!?

Uh, what?!? Further proof that the Mayor is definitely losing it LOL There are TONS of parcels and opportunities left in DT. I mean come on, they even found one in a prime spot in the not too distant past to dump a freakin' crappy trailer on it and call it a "diner".

One thing I absolutely despise about Harrisburg: many of the people don't live in reality, and like to fabricate the truth. To say, "We're essentially out of land in downtown. This is a predicament we haven't had for 60 or 70 years," is laughable at best.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:04 PM
Man on a mission

Well easily available LARGE plots are gone. And with the obsinate council killing anything in the downtown area that destroys historic buildings I see that there is room running out. but there are several condemed buildings in the downtown that should be ripe for demolition and rebuilding. Not telling where they are at though.

That brings me to the historic areas of downtown. I realize that they were inacted to stabilize the neighborhood when the city was on hard times, but in some areas they should now allow reconsideration. I mean anything South of Forester along 2nd Street should be allowed to be rebuilt unless it has a specific architectural value. I can't think of too many along second that this applies to. Maybe the house part of the Belco building and the building on the corners of state street. I would oppose demolition of the senic side streets between 2nd and front as they have a nice neighborhood feel. I believe it is the best interest of the city to try to push the downtown development towards Cameron rather than towards the river.

Lets not forget the "diner" is on borrowed time. I hope that they don't have to wait on lease deals to secure the financing for the 212 tower.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 2:38 AM

Old Uptown development photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.butcher View Post
I have a few pictures of the new units referred to in this article. I'm on the road right now, but will be home next week and will post the pics for everyone to see. This area is walking distance from me, so its easy to get pics.
Here are the photos of the Old Uptown development project I mentioned previously. Hope you guys like 'em!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/...d119d1c9d5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/...614b3922bb.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/...482a4d79e5.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/...56d226e6f5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2275/...59004bfdda.jpg

Btw, when I voted in the PA primary a month ago, I actually met Alex Hartzler, of WCI Partners. He seems like a real cool guy. I thanked him for his investment in Harrisburg [i.e. the Aloft Hotel and the Old Uptown project] and he was very modest and gracious about the projects. If Harrisburg had just a few more believers like Mr. Hartzler, I think we'd be on the fast track to great projects and even better development in the City.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 6:21 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Here are the photos of the Old Uptown development project I mentioned previously. Hope you guys like 'em!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/...d119d1c9d5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/...614b3922bb.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/...482a4d79e5.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/...56d226e6f5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2275/...59004bfdda.jpg

Btw, when I voted in the PA primary a month ago, I actually met Alex Hartzler, of WCI Partners. He seems like a real cool guy. I thanked him for his investment in Harrisburg [i.e. the Aloft Hotel and the Old Uptown project] and he was very modest and gracious about the projects. If Harrisburg had just a few more believers like Mr. Hartzler, I think we'd be on the fast track to great projects and even better development in the City.
Wow, what classy developments and they blend in quite nicely...I am impressed! Thanks for the pics, Chris. Do you happen to know what they are selling for?

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 2:17 PM

Old Uptown development

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Wow, what classy developments and they blend in quite nicely...I am impressed! Thanks for the pics, Chris. Do you happen to know what they are selling for?
The price rumors I've heard is $100,000 and up, but I'd like to verify that. They seem worth more than that, to me, but I haven't been inside the model yet. I do know that they are selling like crazy. As a matter of fact, the day I took the photos, there was only one unit not sold.

To me, this is proof that there is quite a demand for "quality" housing in the city. Too much of the available housing is in need of renovation and modernization. To the extent that buyers and developers can do that somewhat economically, then I think Midtown is a GREAT area to buy property. However, what is sad is the lack of empty building lots, like those that WCI Partners built on at Pfeffer and Green Sts. You have to take buildings down first and that is a hard sell to City Council.

Once you get west of Third Street, there are plenty of empty lots, but much of that is being developed by Struever Bros. of Baltimore, MD, and it is a completely different kind of development than the Old Uptown project. Struever Bros.' development is known as Capitol Heights and there is more of an emphasis on single family homes and more modest townhouses. Their website: http://www.sber.com/harrisburg/capitol_heights.php says they've sold and built 176 homes with 44 more on the way. Who knew Harrisburg was ready for that?!

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
My friend just bought a house on Penn street (not one of the new ones). He looked into the new Old Uptown houses and they were selling for $189,000 and up.

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 11:17 PM

Old Uptown development

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
My friend just bought a house on Penn street (not one of the new ones). He looked into the new Old Uptown houses and they were selling for $189,000 and up.
Thanks for the update, danwxman. I thought I'd heard that too, but wasn't sure that is right. I think that's a very respectable price, but its a lot knowing parking is on street. The ones at Capitol Heights at least have parking in the rear or a rear yard. I think the Old Uptown ones don't have either. Still, if you can get $190,000 then that also says good things about the City and the need for quality housing.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the update, danwxman. I thought I'd heard that too, but wasn't sure that is right. I think that's a very respectable price, but its a lot knowing parking is on street. The ones at Capitol Heights at least have parking in the rear or a rear yard. I think the Old Uptown ones don't have either. Still, if you can get $190,000 then that also says good things about the City and the need for quality housing.
Actually, they each have a one-car parking garage around back. Take a walk behind the units sometime. Nice back decks as well. The houses around the corner on Delaware street are a bit smaller but totally rehabbed and going for less than $120,000. I think its a great deal.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:49 AM
Me?!?

Thanks for the info, guys! I'm actually a little surprised they are selling that high right out of the gate and this does say good things about the city for sure, considering that the property taxes in the city are very high in comparison to the surrounding 'burbs.

Midtown is a cool place, definitely up and coming and there certainly is A LOT of potential but it still needs some work before people totally buy into it. My sister lives on 4th near Harris and hearing gunshots is quite common during the summer, and her car has been vandalized a few times already. Also, like you said chris, the numerous vacant lots need to have something done with them.

But these are all things that can be fixed and I am happy to see the direction HBG is going in. A little too slow for my tastes, but small steps forward is definitely something!

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 4:22 AM

Old Uptown development

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Actually, they each have a one-car parking garage around back. Take a walk behind the units sometime. Nice back decks as well. The houses around the corner on Delaware street are a bit smaller but totally rehabbed and going for less than $120,000. I think its a great deal.
I must thank you for your thorough knowledge of this subject and for correcting my inaccuracies. I should do a more thorough job of researching these things, obviously! I am now MORE impressed with these townhouses since they have parking and decks. I could not see paying 190- for something without off-street parking and/or a back yard and/or deck. Alex Hartzler strikes me as a class act: professional and earnest and WCI Partners seems to have those same qualities.

Here's an observation about Harrisburg, that may be a bit "controversial", but valid, I feel: since John Vartan's death, it seems that the City has moved forward much better and much bigger and with more diversity in regard to development. I believed that Vartan held us back, even though he did do a couple of interesting projects early on. Now, WCI Partners, Struever Bros. and others can get a fair shot at development in the City. Anyone else feel this way?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
Man on a mission

Chris,

I was not around the city in Vartan's days so I have no opinion, sorry. I drove by the new townhomes and they have nice backs and off street parking but no back yard. Honestly probably not something that someone buying in the city cares about though, and most new condo projects lack a propriety backyard too so that is competitive. The restored homes supposedly start in the low $100k and the new townhomes as reported above. Capital Heights starts in the $180's as well, but if you get any options (upgrades on kitchens, etc.) it will easily sell better than $200k So the Hartzler project in competitvely priced, and I think the styling is better than Capital Heights, imho. The city is on firm foundations and I think the economy and the surge in gas prices will help it continue on its current path.

Where is that store you took the picture of located? It looks like it was renovated.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 3:28 PM

Aloft Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations