HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:05 PM

DT Oakland Updates

Lennar's project on 19th and Harrison is breaking ground

Demolition has begun on 1721 Webster

1700 Webster is quickly rising

A lot of development going on this block and the surrounding area. (1640 Broadway, 250 Alice, 1340 Franklin are all also showing plenty of activity).

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:31 PM

Unhappy Eastline Project, 2100 Telegraph St, Oakland CA

"Zoned for the potential development of up to 1,556 residential units, 2.8 million square feet of office space or a combination of the two, the preliminary plans for the proposed “Eastline” project to rise across the entire 3-acre Uptown Oakland block bounded by Telegraph, Broadway, 21st and 22nd Streets had envisioned a mixed-use development with 880,000 square feet of large-floor-plate office space which could accommodate around 4,500 tech workers; a 397-foot tower with 395 residential units inside; 85,000 square feet of street-level retail; and six levels of parking for 1,750 cars, the overall design for which has since been refined by Gensler as newly rendered below.

At the same time, plans for a potential “all office” scenario rising up to 420 feet in height have been drafted and newly rendered as well, an approach which would yield 1.45 million square feet of office space; 80,000 square feet of ground floor retail; and six levels of parking with 2,050 spaces for both public and private use.

Which of the draft plans for the 2100 Telegraph site will be pursued has yet to be determined."

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...own-block.html

Credit via Socketsite

According the the EIR report, the Eastline Project could break ground as early as this year. Though, i find that doubtful at this stage. I have mixed feelings aesthetically about both designs, but fundamentally feel that adding only office space is not very responsible by the developer. Considering the project's location, it should absolutely be a mixed development. While I am also not a fan of a parking block at the bottom of towers, i feel that replacing some of the parking that would be taken away is vital. Particularly considering it proximity to both the Fox and Paramount theaters. Hopefully that will be tucked away somewhere inside of the block. Also, did i mention i miss Giant Burger?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:22 PM

I'd prefer the Mixed-Use space over the all office development. It'll help bring a more foot traffic in the area and, in my opinion, would be good since it's near Paramount and Fox Theater.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I'd prefer the Mixed-Use space over the all office development. It'll help bring a more foot traffic in the area and, in my opinion, would be good since it's near Paramount and Fox Theater.
Exactly. seamlessness between pedestrian traffic and the design of space is essential, and also functional. While the mixed use proposal seems a bit blocky to me overall, it is at least modular and broken up, plus it would balance out the project proposed directly next to the Fox. Outside of the fact that only creating office space doesn't seem responsible to the over all environment, nor practical, the cantilevered approach seems like it amputates the built up space even more from the sidewalk. Not a welcoming approach, even if somewhat visually pleasing. I am a fan of cantilevered design in many aspects. But the scale weighted on top of it makes it feel very monolithic. If lower density, i would say it might have some potential. Both designs don't really take advantage of the space and opportunity around it. Feels very rushed for a big chunk of land....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:40 AM
heavy user of walkability

digging all the Oakland development.

the Genesis building on San Bruno Mtn doesn't look too different than the last time we checked in

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Oakland approves two more towers, adding to building boom
By Roland Li – Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
an hour ago

Oakland's Planning Commission approved on Wednesday two highrise projects, adding more density to its downtown.

CIM Group, the city's biggest office landlord, won approval for 2 Kaiser Plaza. The office project has two alternatives: 670,000 square feet of workspace in a 250-foot tower or 1.1 million square feet in a 450-foot tower, which would be the city's tallest building.

RAD Urban received approval for 2044 Franklin St, a 29-story mixed-use tower that is one block from CIM's project.

Oakland-based RAD Urban's project includes 184 residential units, 57,000 square feet of office and 6,750 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.

More than a dozen towers are approved in Oakland's downtown, and four have started construction in the past two years. Developers have flocked to the city, attracted by soaring office and housing rents, an abundance of empty parcels and a government that has generally welcomed growth.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...789&j=79486761

At this level of development, should Oakland have its own thread? Without one, I am completely lost among the "more than a dozen" approved projects.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jan 11, 2018 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:11 PM
A Man In Dandism

^ Agreed. Feel free to start one up!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
^ Agreed. Feel free to start one up!
I'm not sure I'm competent. Like I said, I'm lost in it all. Some of the projects seem to have more than one designation (perhaps a street address and a project name) and I might get them wrong plus I am not at all famiiar with streets in Oakland. I wish someone who lives or spends time there would do it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:47 PM
Meh

I was looking for the place to post that, too, as I logged onto the Bizjournals today and saw it. I'm surprised there isn't an Oakland thread already.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 8:11 PM

Glad to finally see posts of Oakland!

And I'm not sure. The Bay Area is actually going to have 4 threads on this forum with San Francisco, San Jose, this thread and a potential Oakland thread.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm not sure I'm competent. Like I said, I'm lost in it all. Some of the projects seem to have more than one designation (perhaps a street address and a project name) and I might get them wrong plus I am not at all famiiar with streets in Oakland. I wish someone who lives or spends time there would do it.
I will get one going here in the next few days. I think there is enough going on. Being the Bay Area's third largest city. If SF and SJ have one, Oakland should have one too.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
And I'm not sure. The Bay Area is actually going to have 4 threads on this forum with San Francisco, San Jose, this thread and a potential Oakland thread.
San Jose is 50 miles from SF and a different MSA. It should have a thread. This thread is really an "everything else" thread and most cities haven't bothered to create those. Meanwhile Tacoma and Bellevue WA have threads. So do Jersey City and Newark-Elizabeth.

I see it more as a question of whether there is enough development to warrant it and my original point was that Oakland now seems to--it has nearly as many arger scale projects as SF assuming those that are approved will actually get going and it seems like they will. The other matter is what I alluded to--the majority of us San Franciscans really don't know (or honestly care about) Oakland enough to keep up with what'sgoing on in BOTH cities. Oakland needs somebody to give it its share of love from up close and personal.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:17 AM

Credit via The Registry SF
"Major new ground-up mixed-use development in Oakland

OAKLAND, Calif. (January 9, 2018) – TMG Partners (TMG), one of the Bay Area’s largest mixed-use property developers, announced today the submission of a pre-application to develop a full city block between Telegraph Avenue, Valley Street, West Grand Avenue, and 22nd Street in Oakland. The proposed development, at the intersection of Grand Avenue and Telegraph Avenue, calls for a 760,000-square-foot office building with approximately 10,000 square feet of ground floor retail and arts spaces. The development’s approval process is expected to run through 2018."

http://news.theregistrysf.com/tmg-pa...ptown-oakland/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Having Oakland and SJ threads is a bad idea. They will get no traction. Better to have one thread for SF and one for the rest of the bay.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
Having Oakland and SJ threads is a bad idea. They will get no traction. Better to have one thread for SF and one for the rest of the bay.
Agree to disagree. SJ already has its own thread, and seems to be doing just fine. While i don't frequent SJ, I like that development there is consolidated in one thread, and i don't have to sift through this thread to know whats going on there. The same should be for Oakland. Respectively to this thread, there is enough going on in Oakland that a surge in development shouldn't wash over what else is happening in other Bay Area cities. Hence, I think that Oakland should be separated out from this thread and have its own.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
Which is among the reasons I, a San Francisco resident, am not creating one even though I think one should exist. It should be created, if at all, by Oaklanders and kept active by them (or not).

If they do create one, I will contribute to it and try to support it.

There is already an SJ thread.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:26 AM

in the meantime, more Oakland stuff

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 9:53 PM

fwiw, I agree that good criteria for deciding whether a new thread is warranted for an area are

1) is the area clearly defined

2) is there enough going on there to be interesting in and of itself, and to mean that keeping activity info grouped in one place would help keep things clearer

3) is/are there someone/some people willing and able to keep the thread up-to-date

to me, Oakland meets the first two, so if people can also help with 3), I'm in favor

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:31 PM

Milpitas BART Development area:

Facing the North side. There will be a pedestrian bridge going towards the new mid-rise across the street in 2019-2020.

Facing the West side of Milpitas BART:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:32 PM

Milpitas - The Fields - January 14, 2018 Update:

No progress at all for the 2nd Phase:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations