HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:10 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah I wasn't doubting it as I've seen that before, too... just pointing out it's not in that link. It's also clear there is some reasonably significant doubt around these "outer" freeways that we've seen in master plans for both Calgary and Edmonton. Fingers crossed these projects actually go forward. Iveson's made his feelings clear on the notion of an outer ring road, and instead pushed really hard for Yellowhead money which he managed to pull off. Can't fault him there.
Yellowhead is an immediate need. Outer ring road that already exists as secondary highways for the most part... a proper outer ring road is 30-50 years before we need it, but much like the Henday, planning begins now. Start buying up the right of way required.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:11 AM

Regarding terwillegar drive, in the grand scheme of things isn’t 1.2 billion is over 30 years really not much at all to do it right?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 9:14 PM

Went to the Yellowhead Trail 82 to 97 St Improvements public engagement session yesterday. Display boards and plans available here:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...89-street.aspx

It's pretty straightforward and will benefit everyone, but man that left turn onto 97 St southbound will be even more brutal and I pretty much avoid going that way as it is. I suggested redesigning for a dual left turn lane but the dual left turn going the other way onto 97 St northbound would need to be rejigged.

Maybe it's a good spot to put Edmonton's first diverging diamond interchange. We'd lose that straight through westbound movement but we should just force drivers to head back towards 82 St to head west on Yellowhead. Or we could lose that movement now then maybe the left turn to 97 St northbound wouldn't need dual left turn lanes

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 10:20 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Regarding terwillegar drive, in the grand scheme of things isn’t 1.2 billion is over 30 years really not much at all to do it right?
yes... that's my thinking as well. I would also think that the province should/would contribute money towards the Whitemud/Terwillegar Interchange and the AHD/Terwillegar interchange... the ones in between, maybe not.

We can start to spend 1.2 Billion over 30 years,

or

we can spend 300 M, upgrade to expressway for 5 years... and then
we can spend another 1.2 billion over the next 5-30 years and build it properly.

But politicians only really care about the short term, and what will get the votes in the next election, not what's best for the long term... Option 1 above is the best for the long term in so many ways, so of course we will go option 2.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Went to the Yellowhead Trail 82 to 97 St Improvements public engagement session yesterday. Display boards and plans available here:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...89-street.aspx
I think its a dumb idea not to put a fly over at 149st. 156 and St Albert trail interchanges are pretty congested now.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I think its a dumb idea not to put a fly over at 149st. 156 and St Albert trail interchanges are pretty congested now.
Yea, currently the plan is to turn 149 St into a RIRO on the collector/distributor lanes but I agree an overpass with no interface to Yellowhead Trail would've been much better. Costco likely protested that idea however.

What they could add is a turnaround flyover before St. Albert Trail and maybe before 156 St although it might be elevated over Crosstown Chrysler there. This would allow drivers to turn around without impacting those interchanges.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 10:59 PM

With the land annex going through I hope we can get a secondary proper road to the airport sooner than later. 170st going all the way south please.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 11:07 PM
Community Guy

Concur in full.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 7:56 PM

I hope the COE can figure out their road clearing practices. THe amount of sand they are using is unbelievable, the streets looks like wet sand boxes. It is the only city I’ve been in that uses Sand like they do. Horrible.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
THe amount of sand they are using is unbelievable, the streets looks like wet sand boxes.
I was in town a short while ago and what a gawdawful time of year to ferry out-of-town people around. In their eyes, it seriously looks like dirt roads are the norm for Edmonton.

Gateway to the North? Yee-haw.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I was in town a short while ago and what a gawdawful time of year to ferry out-of-town people around. In their eyes, it seriously looks like dirt roads are the norm for Edmonton.

Gateway to the North? Yee-haw.
It is horrible compared to last year. Total embarrassment again.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
It is horrible compared to last year. Total embarrassment again.
I honestly wonder what the glorious f*** goes through the minds of people at the City. Are they honestly so tone-deaf and colour-blind in their thinking? Frankly, for outsiders I've had visit here, Edmonton looks like the run-down neighbouring house that uses its backyard as an open garbage pit: it honestly just doesn't seem to give a s***. It's terribly embarrassing.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I honestly wonder what the glorious f*** goes through the minds of people at the City. Are they honestly so tone-deaf and colour-blind in their thinking? Frankly, for outsiders I've had visit here, Edmonton looks like the run-down neighbouring house that uses its backyard as an open garbage pit: it honestly just doesn't seem to give a s***. It's terribly embarrassing.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/edmonton...her-season/amp
Read.
When you have a citizenry that provides mostly negative feedback and a council that barely supports what the administration is trying to do with alternates to sand and gravel, ignoring the actual constraint that brines don't work well below -10 or -15 so lately science has been dictating what gets used, you get this outcome...
You get more sand, more gravel and more mess.
I'm not blaming the folks at the city in this case, you should be yelling at your neighbours... Which might suit you?

Last edited by Hardhatdan; Dec 31, 2018 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:53 AM

s211 does nothing but bitch, whine and complain.
Which is why, as of now, he is on my Ignore List. Not even gonna bother waiting for the new year.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 8:32 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
I hope the COE can figure out their road clearing practices. THe amount of sand they are using is unbelievable, the streets looks like wet sand boxes. It is the only city I’ve been in that uses Sand like they do. Horrible.
Ummm, I am not sure where you're driving but on my typical routes (southwest, Whyte, downtown, westend) I haven't noticed anything unusual. Seems like the same ol' whining from the usual suspects .

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Ummm, I am not sure where you're driving but on my typical routes (southwest, Whyte, downtown, westend) I haven't noticed anything unusual. Seems like the same ol' whining from the usual suspects .
Downtown, Southside. This latest snow fall the roads look much better. I think the sand was used due to the rain. What stating is it still needs to improve.

I’m sure hoping you’re not grouping me into that group.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:55 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
s211 does nothing but bitch, whine and complain.
Which is why, as of now, he is on my Ignore List. Not even gonna bother waiting for the new year.
Much like you on C2E...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:35 PM
HVAC guru

I think the roads have been okay. It’s Edmonton, it’s dirty for six months pf the year, no changing that. Downtown is pretty gross but that’s normal, everywhere else seems reasonable.

Our street was glare ice after that last round of snow & ice, but after a call to 311 they ran a grader down it in less than 24 hrs, so that was nice to see.

Thumbs down to whoever (city or EPSB) is responsible for sidewalks around the schools though. They are in terrible shape and almost inpassable in our area. Out walking the dogs for the last three nights and they haven’t been touched, need to walk on the road they are so bad

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:07 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
WTF is with the 70km/h speed limit on the AHD/Manning Freeway interchange and along Manning Fwy? There is zero need for it to be that low.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
WTF is with the 70km/h speed limit on the AHD/Manning Freeway interchange and along Manning Fwy? There is zero need for it to be that low.
The better to give a speeding ticket with my dear.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton