Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 8:14 PM

A different perspective:

MLK drive looking towards the Comcast Towers. by Krtz07, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:38 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
A different perspective:
So awesome...this building looks especially ominous with some badass lighting.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 3:48 AM

I was just told that my office was moving from the Comcast Center to the CTC in the end of September. I hope I’m on a high floor. I’m on the 39th in the Comcast Center.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:57 PM

Forgot to post this one.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 4:31 PM
In the long run...

Philly is awesome!!!!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Philly is awesome!!!!
Damn right, some really awesome pics on this page.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:31 PM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:42 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

this needs a caption...

"I didn't like the design of the Comcast at first, but it's starting to grow on me."

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:35 AM

First 2 photos from Flickr
1st: https://flic.kr/p/gmtZqx
2nd: https://flic.kr/p/MgqmAy

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post

First 2 photos from Flickr
1st: https://flic.kr/p/gmtZqx
2nd: https://flic.kr/p/MgqmAy
Wow, you can't even see the W until the last shot!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:32 PM

Relation between CTC and Comcast I seems off. Guess that person needs to cut off and reconfigure pieces of their arm. Get cracking!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:27 PM
SWING DOWN AND CARRY US..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
This is a massive project, and I like the design and it's looming form.....but the blocky spire feels like a very awkward ending to the building at the top. It makes me look right at the other tower with simple geometry nearby....and it just doesn't flow well. That's just my view of it...but I do appreciate how the tower was designed and cladded. (Actually...the spire isn't a bad idea for the project, but it just looks like a gimmick more than a part of the building. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a supertall IMO)

(Huh....I thought this was entirely office space for this project. Well, this project is pretty dynamic it seems)
For me, it’s just a waste of space, and too damn blocky at that!!! The ACC was light years ahead in terms of design and architecture and it still boggles my mind why the ACC was never erected after the Philadelphia City Council approved a measure allowing for supertalls to be built.

The CITC isn’t even a true supertall. Every part of the tower except the spire is below 911’, making this tower actually shorter than the Comcast Tower, and it’s not easy to look at anyways. I also look at it as a symbol of corporate welfare on behalf of Comcast while other companies (Lincoln Financial, Sunoco, CIGNA, Santander, etc) are allowed to leave the city limits while other cities (Chicago, Boston, SF, Atlanta, Miami, SF, and NYC) are expanding their economies and raising their corporate portfolios.

I always wanted Philadelphia to be a part of that elite group of cities, and although the city has been Top 5 for much of its history, I’m afraid by 2020 Census it’s going to be dropping down off the Top 10, or in danger of being surpassed by cities like San Antonio, Phoenix, San Diego, Fort Worth, San Jose, Austin, and Dallas.

Imagine those aforementioned cities being in the Top 10 and Philadelphia being knocked out of the Top 10 for the first time in American history. Chicago may slip to fourth place behind Houston, but that’s nothing compared to not being a Top 10 American city.

Lastly, I was actually hoping that Philadelphia would actually get the ACC built once it was approved, and it seemed seemed like everything was right on track, and the Phillies were contenders and the Flyers made the Stanley Cup in 2010, but it also seems like economically, the city has seemed to lose steam since companies have left Philadelphia and the city hasn’t really grown in comparison to DC and Boston.

I’m currently in SF and seeing the new Salesforce Tower personally is breathtaking, even though it’s not the tallest building compared to the CITC, let alone the entire state of CA (that honor goes to the Wiltshire Grand Center in LA), but I can foresee S.F. getting something like no more than 1500’ in the near future since SF is only about 49 sq ft of land and land prices are at a premium so it has no choice to go but up, LA still has tons of cheap land, if not cheaper on average. All I’m saying is that when it comes to Philadelphia, not building the ACC was a missed opportunity!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:45 PM

Is it possible to be haunted by the ghost of a building that has never been built? Can that ghost qualify for an account on skyscraperpage?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
For me, it’s just a waste of space, and too damn blocky at that!!! The ACC was light years ahead in terms of design and architecture and it still boggles my mind why the ACC was never erected after the Philadelphia City Council approved a measure allowing for supertalls to be built.

The CITC isn’t even a true supertall. Every part of the tower except the spire is below 911’, making this tower actually shorter than the Comcast Tower, and it’s not easy to look at anyways. I also look at it as a symbol of corporate welfare on behalf of Comcast while other companies (Lincoln Financial, Sunoco, CIGNA, Santander, etc) are allowed to leave the city limits while other cities (Chicago, Boston, SF, Atlanta, Miami, SF, and NYC) are expanding their economies and raising their corporate portfolios.

I always wanted Philadelphia to be a part of that elite group of cities, and although the city has been Top 5 for much of its history, I’m afraid by 2020 Census it’s going to be dropping down off the Top 10, or in danger of being surpassed by cities like San Antonio, Phoenix, San Diego, Fort Worth, San Jose, Austin, and Dallas.

Imagine those aforementioned cities being in the Top 10 and Philadelphia being knocked out of the Top 10 for the first time in American history. Chicago may slip to fourth place behind Houston, but that’s nothing compared to not being a Top 10 American city.

Lastly, I was actually hoping that Philadelphia would actually get the ACC built once it was approved, and it seemed seemed like everything was right on track, and the Phillies were contenders and the Flyers made the Stanley Cup in 2010, but it also seems like economically, the city has seemed to lose steam since companies have left Philadelphia and the city hasn’t really grown in comparison to DC and Boston.

I’m currently in SF and seeing the new Salesforce Tower personally is breathtaking, even though it’s not the tallest building compared to the CITC, let alone the entire state of CA (that honor goes to the Wiltshire Grand Center in LA), but I can foresee S.F. getting something like no more than 1500’ in the near future since SF is only about 49 sq ft of land and land prices are at a premium so it has no choice to go but up, LA still has tons of cheap land, if not cheaper on average. All I’m saying is that when it comes to Philadelphia, not building the ACC was a missed opportunity!
IT. HAS BEEN. 10. YEARS.
Please lay it to rest.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
IT. HAS BEEN. 10. YEARS.
Please lay it to rest.
Also I knew San Fran was small but had no idea it was smaller than a modest bedroom. 49 Sq feet! How they fit over 800, 000 people there is beyond me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture