HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:28 PM
Modulator

Report pegs Phoenix as a top tech hiring market in 2019

More good news for the Phoenix tech market. Keep 'em coming!

Quote:
By Tim Gallen
– Digital Editor, Phoenix Business Journal

Dec 17, 2018, 4:24pm EST
Phoenix will continue to be one of the top markets for tech hiring in 2019, according to a new report.

Research from staffing services agency Robert Half Technology shows that Phoenix is No. 3 on a list of top markets for tech hiring. That is based on the percentage of local technology managers who expect to expand their employee counts in the coming year.

Seventy-six percent of Phoenix-area tech leaders reported they plan to hire in 2019, according to the report. The only cities where more managers expect to hire are Charlotte (77 percent, No. 2) and Houston (80 percent, No. 1). Phoenix ranks just ahead of Chicago and Dallas. In each of those cities, 75 percent of hiring managers expect to expand their teams.

The percentage of tech leaders in Phoenix looking to hire increased two percentage points since Robert Half's mid-year report on tech hiring.

In the Valley, the most in-demand skills are cybersecurity, cloud security, cloud computing, cloud architecture and visualization, according to the report. More than nine in 10 tech leaders (91 percent) in Phoenix said it is challenging to find tech talent in the market. But 99 percent also express confidence in their company's prospects for growth.

To help alleviate some of those challenges in hiring, 93 percent of tech firms in Phoenix are providing training to boost the skill sets of existing workforces, according to Robert Half.

"Along with a strong core team, project professionals are becoming an integral part of organizations' staffing strategies to get the best and brightest on board quickly for key projects," John Reed, executive vice president of Robert Half, said in the report. "Digital and security initiatives continue to put pressure on IT departments, adding to the need for talent."

The overall survey looked at nearly 30 regions in the U.S. based on the percentage of tech leaders expanding teams.

In the past decade, Phoenix has experienced a tech sector boom, with several tech clusters dotted around the Valley including in downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe and Chandler.
Source: PBJ https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ng-market.html

Link to report: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300764802.html

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:59 PM

Info on the Microsoft land development deal, Bill Gates invested in a REIT and it appears they will be developing some land in Goodyear if general flex office space.

http://azbex.com/goodyear-council-he...ft-site-plans/

Quote:
Microsoft‘s secretive metro-Phoenix project, which documents describe as “a five-building technology center,” is set to go before the Goodyear City Council.

A brief, 14-minute discussion before the city’s Planning and Zoning Commission included a staff presentation that was light on details. The commission recommended that the council approve the rezone request, which included:

Increasing building height from 50 feet to 60 feet.
Increasing how much of the land can have buildings.
Building with a metal facade.
Using chain-link fencing.
The applicant’s attorney, Scottsdale-based Jordan Rose, made no mention of the tech giant by name and declined to give a presentation.

Rose would not comment and Microsoft won’t reveal any plans for the site.

Microsoft paid more than $48M for the land near the Phoenix Goodyear Airport in August.

It bought the land — just south of Interstate 10 and the airport, between State Route 85 and Lower Buckeye Road — from Carefree Partners.

Since the August sale, officials have been tight-lipped on what’s in store for the site.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Info on the Microsoft land development deal, Bill Gates invested in a REIT and it appears they will be developing some land in Goodyear if general flex office space.

http://azbex.com/goodyear-council-he...ft-site-plans/
Gotta be a datacenter. I mean, why would MS come and open a corporate campus in Goodyear? Many other more ‘prestigious’ places in the valley to do that - they have space in Tempe already on the lake.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Gotta be a datacenter. I mean, why would MS come and open a corporate campus in Goodyear? Many other more ‘prestigious’ places in the valley to do that - they have space in Tempe already on the lake.
It'll probably be a datacenter. I'm 90% sure the land that was purchased by Microsoft is classified as a Superfund from all the munitions testing in the past.

(Superfund is any land in the United States that has been contaminated by hazardous waste and identified by the EPA as a candidate for cleanup because it poses a risk to human health and/or the environment. These sites are placed on the National Priorities List (NPL).)

Also... the request for chain link fencing isn't normally something you would see from a nice, beautiful, campus... haha

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:19 AM
Modulator

Articles I have read state this will be a technology center. I'm not sure Goodyear would be hush-hush over a data center...even though it is Goodyear, so anything could be big for them.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsof...ter-in-arizona

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Articles I have read state this will be a technology center. I'm not sure Goodyear would be hush-hush over a data center...even though it is Goodyear, so anything could be big for them.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsof...ter-in-arizona
Technology center being internal Tech help line, data center, IT and Customer care

But I still think this is just going to be an office complex the REIT owns and will lease out to tennatns.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 11:34 PM

http://ktar.com/story/2373049/taco-b...ntown-phoenix/

Taco Bell Cantina is open.

I might have to stop by and try a Baja Blast Freeze with a shot of Tequila.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Phoenix locals: In the post recession period, Phoenix has been white hot and we all know it'll have to cool off and catch it's breath at some point in time, etc.

Is there any concern brewing that the local economy has over heated and a slowdown in the region is coming in the next 2 years? Or has a threshold been breached and the city/region will continue to feed off the momentum?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 2:51 AM
E pluribus unum

I worry about that all the time, but that's partly because I'm a government employee in Coconino County.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Phoenix locals: In the post recession period, Phoenix has been white hot and we all know it'll have to cool off and catch it's breath at some point in time, etc.

Is there any concern brewing that the local economy has over heated and a slowdown in the region is coming in the next 2 years? Or has a threshold been breached and the city/region will continue to feed off the momentum?

No the local economy has not overheated, no a threshold has not been breached, and yes the region will have reduced momentum. This upcoming recession will be different than '08, it'll be a slow burn. And certain metro areas will be hit harder than others. I don't anticipate the across-the-board total beatdown like last time.

Metro areas that are in high demand now will continue development - not nearly at the same rate - but development will continue nonetheless.

So long as there isn't an unforeseen catalyst like the Iranian revolution in '79, or the '73 oil crisis... we're looking at your 'average' recession. 1.5-2.5% GDP decline. (it was over 5% in 2008)

We can likely expect something along the lines of 1990, fortunately.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
No the local economy has not overheated, no a threshold has not been breached, and yes the region will have reduced momentum. This upcoming recession will be different than '08, it'll be a slow burn. And certain metro areas will be hit harder than others. I don't anticipate the across-the-board total beatdown like last time.

Metro areas that are in high demand now will continue development - not nearly at the same rate - but development will continue nonetheless.

So long as there isn't an unforeseen catalyst like the Iranian revolution in '79, or the '73 oil crisis... we're looking at your 'average' recession. 1.5-2.5% GDP decline. (it was over 5% in 2008)

We can likely expect something along the lines of 1990, fortunately.
It certainly feels a lot better than 10 years ago - the area has really shifted into a new phase were there are a lot more stable jobs available - and we aren’t relying on real estate growth to push our economy forward.

Hopefully this translates to minimal impact - who knows areas hit harder could result in more growth for us as people move to where the jobs are and homes are more affordable.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 12:39 PM
self-important urbanista

I think we've previously discussed the Nowakowski recall in the transportation thread, but it probably belongs here. In any case, I expected that defense of the councilman would come primarily from the more conservative members of the council. That certainly seems to be in evidence based on the comments at this meeting:

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/01/16...wskis-absence/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I think we've previously discussed the Nowakowski recall in the transportation thread, but it probably belongs here. In any case, I expected that defense of the councilman would come primarily from the more conservative members of the council. That certainly seems to be in evidence based on the comments at this meeting:

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/01/16...wskis-absence/
Speaking of, is there any news regarding the signatures for the anti-LTR petition? Been kind of quiet lately on that.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:17 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Speaking of, is there any news regarding the signatures for the anti-LTR petition? Been kind of quiet lately on that.
I monitor Building a Better Phoenix on social media. The group posted that yesterday was the first court date related to the lawsuit filed against their petitions. Apparently, it was just a routine hearing to set a date for the case to be heard, but the group was still urging its supporters to be in the courtroom if possible.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:28 PM

Phoenix getting tight on space.

Never thought I would see the day!

https://azbigmedia.com/is-east-valle...room-to-build/

Quote:
The demand for single family homes in the East Valley communities of Chandler and Gilbert remains strong, but homebuilders are running out of room to build.

“There isn’t an opportunity to go to a master-planned community anymore, they don’t exist in Chandler or Gilbert, those are pretty much gone,” said Fulton Homes president Norm Nicholls. “Unless the state land decides to let loose, we’re running out in Mesa, too.”

In Chandler and Gilbert, there are no more parcels of 300-400 acres for communities like Fulton Ranch or Power Ranch. Further out in east Mesa, there are two master-planned communities currently rising from what was once the General Motors Proving Grounds. Those two developments, Eastmark and Cadence at Gateway, are 3,200 and 464 acres, respectively, which allows them to have sprawling parks, shops and restaurants, as well as amenities like resort-style pools and recreation facilities.

The tradeoff for residents is a longer commute, as available land can only be found far away from the city centers in the Phoenix metro area.

The lack of large parcels of land does not mean that home builders aren’t very active in Chandler or Gilbert. To the contrary, there are a lot of new homes being built in those communities.

As Chandler has nearly reached build-out, home builders are taking a different approach. They are searching out properties that were zoned for commercial use, but are still sitting vacant. They buy those small properties, usually in the 10-40 acre range, and have them re-zoned for residential use.

“The City of Chandler, years ago, it just seemed like every landowner thought that their corner had to be a commercial corner,” said Nicholls. “It seemed like all four corners at every intersection in the city ended up being zoned commercial, but there was just no way physically possible that they were going to build all of those corners into commercial use.”

Homebuilders like Fulton Homes, Mattamy Homes, Meritage Homes and others have been busy buying these parcels of land at major intersections.

Chandler has seen several undeveloped commercial corners rezoned to residential,” said David de la Torre, planning manager for the City of Chandler. “There are probably many more empty or undeveloped parcels that are currently zoned or planned for commercial that may never be developed as commercial due to the oversaturation of commercial currently in the market.”

Fulton’s latest development in Chandler is one of those former commercial properties. Sirona, which is located on the northeast corner of Cooper and Pecos roads, is located on a piece of property that was unique. The city-owned 10 acres that ran along the consolidated canal and Chandler Paseo Trail, land that had no access points. Fulton purchased 13 acres and got them rezoned for residential use. Fulton then struck a deal with the city, planning and developing a park along the trail in exchange for five acres of that land, to raise their acreage to 18 and allow them to put 89 home lots in that property.

“We’ve cleaned up that entire corner for the city,” Nicholls said. “It was a great thing for us because it gave us the chance to have an infill type subdivision and it was great for them because they were stuck with a piece of property they had no access too. Now they have a great little park along that consolidated canal that they didn’t have to pay for.”

While Sirona doesn’t have the large amenities that most Fulton developments have, it is in a great location, close to the city center and the Loop 202.

“We sold a dozen in the first seven days we were open, so it just shows you that the buyers want to be in these infill locations,” Nicholls said. “I wish I could do more in some of those communities, but for people who want to be in a smaller community, it’s a cute community.”

These smaller residential developments typically feature smaller lots, which means small backyards and less maintenance requirements, something many homebuyers are looking for. Plus, for new houses in the red-hot southeast Valley market, they are affordable to many new homebuyers.

“With respect to the value that the new small-scale residential developments provide, the increase in residential units will help support existing retail developments that may currently be struggling,” de la Torre said. “The change in land use from commercial to residential has two positive effects; supporting existing retail and diversifying housing options for Chandler’s residents.”

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:57 PM
Modulator

Quote:

https://azbigmedia.com/is-east-valle...room-to-build/
Seems like this article is only stating available land in the East Valley. There is a ton of total available land in the rest of the Metro as a whole. As for the East Valley, let's just hope the state doesn't release the land so that it will start to build denser.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 8:39 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Seems like this article is only stating available land in the East Valley. There is a ton of total available land in the rest of the Metro as a whole. As for the East Valley, let's just hope the state doesn't release the land so that it will start to build denser.
Once the East Valley fills up more closer to Meridian you'll see that land start to turn over. I don't believe the northern state land trust parcels started to flip until the freeway and sprawl abutted the sites, and at that point they commanded top dollar.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Any article about Arizona running out of space in any capacity is atypical

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post

Totally agree. Phoenix is likely to build right through any recession, perhaps a dampened pace being the worst.

Quote:

That was a good read; thanks.

Meanwhile this isn't necessarily news-worthy

but I did find some nifty 'before and after' renovation photos in Central Phoenix that ABC15 has.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:56 PM

Desert Ridge/City North News

Shockingly, the semi-failed City North Project is finally out of litigation and now some long fallow dirt can begin to be developed in Desert Ridge.

https://azbigmedia.com/96-5-acres-in...or-54-million/

Quote:
Crown Realty & Development, a renowned California-developer behind significant projects in Arizona, through controlled affiliates, has closed on 96.5 acres and acquired the “Master Developer” rights in North Phoenix’s Desert Ridge master-planned community. The property and rights have been the subject of active litigation and bankruptcy for a decade. Crown now plans to develop the land as a new urban core in Phoenix.

Crown’s winning bid for the land was $54 million while the Bankruptcy Court had previously valued the land as high as $121 million.

The acquired acreage comprises the majority of the vacant land east of the 1.2 million square foot Desert Ridge Market Place and that surrounds the existing High Street. The land Crown has acquired is zoned for about 2,500 residential units, 2 million square feet of office, 500 hotel rooms and 100,000 square feet of retail.

“Unlocking this parcel from years of litigation now provides the opportunity to develop a 21st-century urban community on the north side of Phoenix,” said Robert Flaxman, CEO of Crown. “What Century City was to Los Angeles in the 1960s, the new City North project will be to Phoenix,” he said.

Flaxman said there is now finality about litigation and certainty about future development on what many consider to be Phoenix Metro’s most prized, undeveloped commercial property. As part of bankruptcy court proceedings, all claims have been settled. As part of the judgment, Crown obtained what is known as “master developer” rights not only for its 100-acre site but also the entire 5,700 acres at Desert Ridge from the 51 Freeway to 64th Street and on both sides of the heavily trafficked Loop 101. That’s approximately five square miles in the City of Phoenix’s highest-growth corridor.

City North was planned in the mid-2000s to be a significant retail development that was to include Bloomingdales, Nordstrom’s and Macy’s. The recession and years of litigation prevented the project from moving beyond the High Street portion that was completed in 2008.

“It’s impossible to grow new land but the slumbering status of this property for the last decade or more does exactly that, as the end of litigation means the start of development for what is unquestionably one of the best pieces of real estate in Arizona, and perhaps America,” said Rick Carpinelli, Senior Vice President of Acquisition and Development at Crown.

Carpinelli noted that the greater Phoenix market is maturing with corporate headquarters for technology, health care and financial service companies moving to and expanding in the market. The majority of that growth has been centered in Tempe or the Southeast Valley where land and zoning has been plentiful to meet the demand. That all changes with Desert Ridge’s City North jumping onto everyone’s short list.

Prior to the Great Recession and the more recent legal imbroglio, significant commercial development did occur at Desert Ridge in the late 1990s and early 2000s with Desert Ridge Marketplace, Mayo Clinic, JW Marriott Resort, American Express and thousands of residences.

With Monday’s closing by Crown, the City of Phoenix now has the opportunity to better capture pent up demand in the Valley and create a second urban node for the city.

Mayo Clinic has recently announced plans to double the size of its nearby 250-acre campus with a $650 million investment. Arizona State University has broken ground on its first 166,000 square foot building on its adjacent healthcare campus. American Express is also under construction on a new 300,000 square foot building expanding its current employee base of 5,000 to 8,000.

These developments show the demand for growth in this North Phoenix sub-market and were able to proceed because they were properties outside of the litigation that has stymied more growth in Desert Ridge.

This all changes thanks to Crown’s successful conclusion of litigation and acquisition.

Crown acquired the 96.5 acres and Master Developer rights in Desert Ridge as a final, non-appealable step in what has been a long series of various litigation matters.

In late 2015 and early 2016 affiliates of Bruce Gray and Gray Development defaulted on notes owned by Crown. One of the notes was secured by the 96.5 acres of land that surrounds the High Street property as well as the Desert Ridge Master Developer rights. In the years that Gray held these rights, not one shred of development occurred. Gray filed bankruptcy in May 2016. The bankruptcy was resolved in March 2018 with a ruling from U.S. Bankruptcy Court that became a final and non-appealable order. The ruling ordered the sale of the Desert Ridge property through a court-appointed trustee. Beth Jo Zeitzer of ROI Properties was appointed by the court to be the trustee to oversee the marketing and sale of the property. The bid deadline for the court-ordered sale was January 15th, 2019. Crown’s credit bid was the winning bid and thus Crown purchased the property and Master Developer Rights, closing on January 28th.

Crown, which has locally developed the Montelucia Resort (now an Omni property) and spearheaded the redevelopment of Mountain Shadows in Paradise Valley, now plans to develop what will essentially be a new city on the coveted property.

“The new City North project will include a residential core, office buildings from four to ten stories, vibrant new restaurants, a full-service hotel and several select service hotels,” said Carpinelli.

“All of this is great news for existing residents of the area soon to get more amenities as well as future residents and employers who will be able to call this amazing slice of Arizona home,” said Flaxman.

Crown is already working with several major corporate users looking to locate their business at Desert Ridge. Crown will begin developing the property this spring and plans to complete the streets, sidewalks and landscaping by the end of 2019. In addition, Crown anticipates the first office building, the first residential project and the first restaurant all starting construction this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest