HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:21 PM

Canada's fattest and fittest cities

Canada's fittest: Vancouver, 12% obese
Canada's fattest: Hamilton, 74% overweight/obese

Maybe if we outlaw some of those stupid scooters...

source: http://www.statcan.ca/english/studie...006/17-3-c.pdf and http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ms...st+and+fittest

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:45 PM

One of those 74%, who found it incredibly offensive that the city states their goal of reducing that percentage, recently had a letter published in the spec about it. I think it's an appropriate goal, especially with Hamilton being the centre of medical research excellence that we aspire to be.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:17 PM

haha..thanks for the good laugh....time to get them lazy welfaries off their butts, off the soap opera box, and on their asses with a job.

Sorry, but the welfare system DESTROYS hamilton.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:22 PM
Closed account

I don't believe those stats at all. Unless there are entire districts of the city full of fat people that I've never visited, I don't buy this. Based on observations, I'd say 25% of the population is overweight. Much less in Westdale, Kirdendall, Dundas, Strathcona etc......

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:28 PM

it's obese..obese is different than overweight. You can be overweight but yet, not look large on the outside, it's your BMI over 25.

Therefore, only 34.6 people are obese. it's your Body Mass Index over 30, which is your weight divided by your height in metres squared.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:53 PM

BMI is a total crock IMO.

As for obesity, it's really something that has proven to be influenced by culture and socio-economics. It's also fueled by our car-centric society.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:00 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

^ BMI is a crock mine is 24 (26 is overweight) and I'm 18% body fat.

These stats could also be called "Canada's youngest and oldest populations". Vancouver has been the place to be for the last generation. A lot people I went to school with took off out west after graduation. Hamilton is loosing a generation and has one of the oldest populations. Generally the older people are the more overweight they'll be.

Raisethehammer is right. Even parts of Toronto show dramatic differences, downtown is full of skinny 18-35 year olds, but travel to North York and you'll a difference. Coote is right too, socio-economics is a big factor too.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:10 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
^ BMI is a crock mine is 24 (26 is overweight) and I'm 18% body fat.

These stats could also be called "Canada's youngest and oldest populations". Vancouver has been the place to be for the last generation. A lot people I went to school with took off out west after graduation. Hamilton is loosing a generation and has one of the oldest populations. Generally the older people are the more overweight they'll be.

Raisethehammer is right. Even parts of Toronto show dramatic differences, downtown is full of skinny 18-35 year olds, but travel to North York and you'll a difference. Coote is right too, socio-economics is a big factor too.

good post....I agree with this.
BMI is stupid. and age/economics have a lot to do with it. I guess it depends on where you live. This certainly isn't representative of the downtown neighbourhoods where I live.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 7:05 AM
Closed account

so, from what i can gather from recent threads, we're both fat and smelly. how about stupid and ugly? any stats to back that up as well?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 5:30 PM

Another manipulated survey/study. I'm not saying that being overweight or obese isn't an issue (I wouldn't miss 15 - 20lbs.), but they only emphasize stats about being overweight and don't mention anything about how many people are 'underweight' which is sometimes more serious. And pretty much just gloss over physical activity levels.

I love how the article in the link is titled "Canada's fattest and fittest", it certainly gives the impression if you are overweight you are not fit. I guess all those 18.6 - 24.9 BMI smokers are fitter than active/non-smokers in the 25 - 30 range............

3 types of lies: lies, damn lies & statistics........

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion