HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:25 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
While violent crime and homicides have been in general decline in Detroit for a few decades, either the city data portal is grossly behind, or Detroit's going to have a unsually low year. If the numbers are right, Detroit has had 69 criminal homicides as of June 24th. We'd be looking at 120-130 on the year when the city usually averages around 300, so something must be wrong with the numbers. But the post back on May 1 was also showing historically low numbers, so maybe things really have slowed down out of nowhere. Either way, it does appear to be a significant decline even if they are off a dozen.
Detroit has the second lowest unemployment rate of any large metro in the country right now at 3.6%. It has billions in development downtown and the economy is looking up, I would think that should help crime rates a bit.

Crime in Detroit always seemed to be more about poverty and desperation than organized gangs, etc like you see in Chicago. Easier to stamp out the first one than to break up the second.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions