HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I'm less concerned with the color of the light as I am with the style of the fixture. Some of our neighborhoods and areas of downtown have either vintage fixtures, or fixtures that are exact replicas of the lamp posts that have been there since the beginning of the 20th century (i.e. Michigan Avenue along Grant Park, throughout Lincoln Park, to name a couple). I would hate for those to be replaced with some stock neo-traditional fixture that every town in America has, or worse with a minimalist rectangular LED array on a stick. What are people experiencing in areas that have already been converted?
Pretty sure the current phase of the project is just for the cobra head style fixtures. The decorative lamps are supposed to be retrofitted at a later date, IIRC.

Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM
The City

So a judge tossed out the suit against the 111 S Peoria project.

They got Jarta-ed!!!

Old Posted Today, 5:08 AM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Pretty sure the current phase of the project is just for the cobra head style fixtures. The decorative lamps are supposed to be retrofitted at a later date, IIRC.
The conversion just replaces the luminaire (the head) not the entire pole. Usually the new luminaires are just a slim LED array.

When the city does put in new poles, they're usually either vintage poles done as part of a streetscaping, or the hockey-stick shaped aluminum davit poles in the case of a street reconstruction that doesn't involve streetscaping. CDOT doesn't want to stock a million different kinds of pole, so they only have the two main designs plus a few one-offs like the Michigan Ave electroliers.

Old Posted Today, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The conversion just replaces the luminaire (the head) not the entire pole. Usually the new luminaires are just a slim LED array.

When the city does put in new poles, they're usually either vintage poles done as part of a streetscaping, or the hockey-stick shaped aluminum davit poles in the case of a street reconstruction that doesn't involve streetscaping. CDOT doesn't want to stock a million different kinds of pole, so they only have the two main designs plus a few one-offs like the Michigan Ave electroliers.
That is what I meant. Most of the poles themselves will remain but some percentage of pole replacement is included in the contract, IIRC, if the existing pole is damaged or rusted out.

Old Posted Today, 3:41 PM

They put up new poles and lights on the street where I was doing a bungalow renovation. They look really nice though the two head approach is a little aesthetically awkward. They have a big arm going up to a head that serves the street and then a smaller lantern that sits just about head height and lights the sidewalk. They are silver and I wonder if they aren't machined aluminum or something other than steel. They could be stainless steel, but that sounds even more expensive. Anyone know what these new poles are made of?

Old Posted Today, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
They put up new poles and lights on the street where I was doing a bungalow renovation. They look really nice though the two head approach is a little aesthetically awkward. They have a big arm going up to a head that serves the street and then a smaller lantern that sits just about head height and lights the sidewalk. They are silver and I wonder if they aren't machined aluminum or something other than steel. They could be stainless steel, but that sounds even more expensive. Anyone know what these new poles are made of?
They aren't all that new AFAIK since I've been seeing them on side streets in Lakeview for a few years. I don't see a lot of them but they're out there. They look like they're made of aluminum to me. Not sure at all how or why these have been appearing.

Old Posted Today, 4:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

The new Plumbers 130 Training Center will open in September. Article states that it is 50,000 sq. ft., 3 stories, has a nearly 3,900 sq. ft. green roof and was designed by Gensler:

Image from article
http://chicagoconstructionnews.com/n...careers-union/

Old Posted Today, 5:13 PM

looks good, but still wish they had found a way to rehab the old building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development