HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Horizon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 6:33 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Ok okay. lol. I meant more recent. I've heard of all those names except for sassafrax. thank gawd they changed that one.

I kinda call East River/Kelly both names. I think it'll be hard to get used to calling West River MLK because it's so long.

Pick on the the friendly neighborhood Flyers fan day. lol

And I was on the Eagles website and noticed Chad Lewis was not anywhere to be seen. they had a poll that said something about getting a backup TE, and Chad was not on the roster or depth chart. did he retire or did the birds drop him?

Shame...I liked Chad a lot. He was the man!

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 7:17 PM
OG from the L.B.C.

All the original streets running east west had tree based names (except for High St., which was named after a street in London) because Quakers believed it was vainity to name a street after a person. Eventually some of those streets had their name changed for various reasons. Mulberry had a stone arch at the end of it connecting to the delaware waterfront. It became know as Arch street. Cedar Street was the southern boundary of the city, and it's no surprise it became known as South Street. High Street being one of the two widest streets in the city (along with, duh, Broad street) developed an open air market down it's center. Hence it's change to Market Street.

Sassafrax (I assume simply an archaic spelling of Sassafras) became known for the horse races people held along its length. today it's known as Race Street.

I don't have a problem with renaming streets, it just bugs me when the new name doesn't roll off the tounge well. Columbus Blvd. will never stick simply because Delaware Ave. is easier to say, and being along the Delaware river is extremely fitting.

Same with MLK drive. It's too hard of a name to say easily. West River drive will probally win out in the end.

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 8:51 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

JFK Boulevard used to be Pennsylvania Avenue. that one stuck.

i agree that it's better to use just that last names. after all, it isnt Stephen Girard avenue of the Theodore Roosevelt Boulevard. i'm not sure when/why things got more bureaucratic-sounding. King Drive, or Kennedy Boulevard, sound much better.
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 9:11 PM

I know it's been said before, but I think it's stupid this is going to be gated or something. I didn't really know where this was until I started an internship in NoLibs this summer, and I see it's around Brown-ish, or at least nearby to it right? So... whats with the gatedness, I mean it's a not too far walk into the 2nd st area, it's not like its in some distant neighborhood, you're pretty much right there...

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 12:17 AM
OG from the L.B.C.

JFK is easier to say then Pennsylvania I think. As much as I like the word Pennsylvania (second coolest sounding state name IMO, gotta give props to Oregon. Such a cool sounding word.) it isn't exactly something which rolls off the tounge with ease.

King Drive is much better then MLKjr Drive.

King Drive and Kelly Drive. Nice symmetry there actually.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 12:34 AM
Posting Quick Reply

I could deal with that.

Wow this is offtopic. Look what my st00pidity has begun.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 12:44 AM
Future World Dictator

I can deal with JFK. It's easy enough. As is Kelly Drive. But meh, those are the two 2 decent ones.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 1:17 AM
Posting Quick Reply

Well I'm used to JFK. Kelly is still East River sometimes...I flipflop between the two. I don't think I'll get used to MLK easily, if at all. East and West River are still easier and the most sensical.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 6:07 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Here is a cool pic taken from 8th and Springarden. Check out how the cranes are rising in the background. Cool isn't it?

As far as WFS being a gated community, I don't mind it so much. If that's how they want to live, then fine. One gated community here or there won't bother me (depending on the location), but any more then that could become a real issue. Personally I prefer an "open" community.

Last edited by Philly-Drew; Jun 2, 2005 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 6:19 PM
furified freestyle

yes, but it only takes one success to set off a domino effect. the tivoli is also to be a gated community, is it not? the bigger problem with WFS being gated is that it cuts off access to the riverfront that could and should otherwise be public.

and to the defense of it being gated in a sketchy part of town ... well that's an even bigger confusion if you ask me -- what on earth is the purpose of spending $500K on some luxury condo when your perception is that there could be criminals just on the other side of the precious gate? i know people who have been mugged and beaten in northern liberties proper by young (and likely displaced) polish/irish/whatever thugs. (not to mention the brick beatings that happened last year.) i'm not saying crime doesn't exist, but putting a gate around your fancy new community doesn't make it go away.

if nothing else, it discourages the people who buy these high end condos from walking to nearby establishments. that's the difference between WFS and 700 delaware. the developers from hoboken get it -- they understand the importance of community in new development enough to have re-introduced brown street and connect with with NoLibs. so does bart blatstein, with germantown ave in the ongoing liberties walk development. WFS is the first development in philly for this israeli team, and it pays no mind whatsoever to the existing philadelphia urban fabric. (not that it necessarily has that option where it is ...)

again, i'm not saying delaware river access in philly is perfect. far from it -- there is much, much work to be done to turn the riverfront into the green space it deserves to be, but it could happen. only now, it'll have to go around WFS.

this is from yesterday on the way home from the frankford festival ...

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 6:52 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Just for the record, Northern Liberties is not a dangerous part of town. The brick muggings from over a year ago were by a group of teenagers from another neighborhood that came into Northern Liberties and were mugging people. They were caught and prosecuted.

The beatings by Irish/Polish people? I haven’t' heard about that.

My personal perception after living here for 5 years is that Northern Liberties is a great place to live, and I feel safe walking the streets of this neighborhood day in and day out.

As far as the gated community going up on the waterfront, I understand every point you made. It's hard to argue with what you are saying. But I don't this project as cutting the waterfront off from people. At least not at this time, at that location. If that was the case, look at the condos around LaVeranda, or Dock St. They aren't public places. You can walk by the front of them though to get to the public places on each side.
Now if they developed Penn's landing as a gated community, or if they totally cut off areas around Penn's landing that made it difficult for public access, I would be outraged. I just don't see this project doing either of those.

Now the domino effect is a different story, and that should be carefully considered.

Last edited by Philly-Drew; May 22, 2005 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 8:15 PM
furified freestyle

right right, don't get me wrong -- i wasn't trying to portray northern liberties as unsafe, and if i lived there i would probably have the same love for it you do. (i know -- i've been living in the graduate hospital area for close to five years and love it to death, despite naysayers that still pop up here and there.)

i know that the brick kids were caught and prosecuted, but it does go in line with the other muggings i mentioned. they're few and far between -- e.g. they're not the norm -- but they do happen. just like they do down here -- my buddy's girlfriend was mugged two blocks from my house walking home from the bar. granted, she is very pretty (she's a dancer) and was walking by herself at 2 in the morning, but still.

also for the record: i think WFS is a 100 times better than what was there before. i just think it could have been done a whole lot better and been more considerate for the philadelphia community, not just the 300 rich (nouveau) philadelphians within WFS.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 8:17 PM

Actually all the waterfront properties are privately ownd except Penn's Landing. There isn't access to the property just north of Waterfront Square. It is fenced in. It is private property. 700 N. Delaware can't do that because they are putting up towers within the street grid. But you're not getting into their building and maybe even their property around it.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 11:52 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

The land at 700 Delaware is to be totally public accessible. You probably can’t wander through the towers, that’s not what is meant by public access. 700 Delaware will actually reconnect the street grid at that location, creating totally public accessible streets. More specifically, reconnecting Brown street to Delaware Ave. Currently, Brown St. is blocked by by a huge, ugly fence with a bus terminal there and stops at Front St. Thus, cutting Brown street off, where it used to go through. Also, it will reconnect Beach St. which runs between Delaware Ave and Front street there, or at least used to.

Here is the ugly bus terminal, with one of the buildings that will get demoed for the 700 Delaware project (the other building is behind it).

Brown Street shold run right along the side of that building you are loking at. If this project gets a go, instead of the busses, you will see townhouses (Can these be considered "Row Houses") reminiscent of earlier Philadelphia architecture.

Here is a shot from the EL at 2nd & Springarden.

Last edited by Philly-Drew; Jun 2, 2005 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2005, 11:32 AM
OG from the L.B.C.

That's a shame, I actually like those buildings.
They would look great rehabbed.

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 1:36 AM

Any map showing the location and distance from the city center?

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 2:02 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Eigenwelt, I have to say that I think they are two super-ugly buildings. I am glad to see them go. Plus, the new buildings could be as much as five times higher then them, and be totally modern looking.

I'll make that trade any day.

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 2:22 AM
Posting Quick Reply

^agreed.

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 11:25 AM
OG from the L.B.C.

They would make great lofts/artist studios, and would be perfectly fine dense filler inbetween towers five times as high.

I am a fan of the industrial warehouse look, and think they would be quite decent looking with some new windows and a clean up. Snazz up the walkway between the two, and I would move in tomorrow.

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 12:01 PM
OG from the L.B.C.

I have a long standing dream/goal of rehabbing a building or buildings that can house both a loft for me, and studio space for various arts.

In the more grandiose versions, the building or plot would be large enough to have extra apartments and studio spaces I could rent out or lend to artists.

These two particular buildings, along with a few in brooklyn have been part of the modle I based my vision on. I have always liked the odd angles and cat walk on these.

Tidy up the masonry, new windows, maybe a mural on the part of the left hand building with the square windows...

I think they are good looking. But that's just me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive