HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:09 AM

There are a few airports I could see push for Flair. Ottawa anyone?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:33 AM
Displaced Edmontonian

No frequencies or anything, but Westjet confirmed today the flight to LGW will be back in summer 19 :

"For summer 2019, WestJet will operate the following European service: London (Gatwick) service from Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto"

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...699012601.html

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
No frequencies or anything, but Westjet confirmed today the flight to LGW will be back in summer 19 :

"For summer 2019, WestJet will operate the following European service: London (Gatwick) service from Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto"

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...699012601.html
Odd WS did not mention YYC to LGW - assumed to be using older aircraft while YYC gets the Dreamliner.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Odd WS did not mention YYC to LGW - assumed to be using older aircraft while YYC gets the Dreamliner.
Maybe the assumption is that this is announcing service to LGW outside of the normal service to YYC as that is a non changing standard route

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Maybe the assumption is that this is announcing service to LGW outside of the normal service to YYC as that is a non changing standard route
Actually, it does....it goes on to say:

The announcement of Barcelona service comes on the heels of WestJet's recent announcement of its first Dreamliner routes to Paris, London (Gatwick) and Dublin from Calgary.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:03 PM

This will be an interesting capacity re-distribution. I believe it will favour Edmonton in the long run as it allows a refocus on markets, and not chasing the competition.

https://grapevine.is/news/2018/11/05...s-out-wow-air/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
This will be an interesting capacity re-distribution. I believe it will favour Edmonton in the long run as it allows a refocus on markets, and not chasing the competition.

https://grapevine.is/news/2018/11/05...s-out-wow-air/
Definitely interesting article. What it means for YEG or other smaller markets remains to be seen. Personally I am hoping FI continues to serve Edmonton but would be happy with WOW if frequency increased. An all Airbus fleet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW_air

Example fare YVR - SFX
https://booking.wowair.com/search?la...038.1541437689

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:11 PM
Community Guy

FI over WOW.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
FI over WOW.
No doubt FI will implement a single integrated FI+WW booking system - like AC ... meaning more flight options to existing 1 stop cities at KEF and new 1 stop destinations that WW serves that FI does not. This is a win for YEG travellers as seamless travel to more 1 stop destinations is good. And while we know that nonstops are preferable ... landing in KEF which is in the EU is very convenient and with the second set of slot times - travel is getting better through KEF.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:36 AM

Quote:
FI over WOW.
EIA would do really well to embrace LLCs. I think this market can support them better than legacy airlines.
Strange how one company that is not able to pay interest due on it’s bonds can buy another airline.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:43 AM
Community Guy

That's the spirit.

Race to the bottom, the Edmonton way!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
EIA would do really well to embrace LLCs. I think this market can support them better than legacy airlines.
Strange how one company that is not able to pay interest due on it’s bonds can buy another airline.
It’s Iceland and you know what happened with the last Icelandic financial melt down. Let’s hope FI makes a go of the merger strategy to swallow the competition ... higher ticket prices should be on the way to drive profits.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
That's the spirit.

Race to the bottom, the Edmonton way!
Just being realistic Ian. Give it a try.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 2:05 PM
Community Guy

Celebrating even more flights to LAS and hoping for LLCs in place of mainline do not an airport make.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:41 PM

So long as people connect in YYC and/or YYZ to go to Europe YEG has to take what it can get.

Anyone who does that and complains about service here is a hypocrite almost on the same scale as the anti-pipeline hypocrites.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Celebrating even more flights to LAS and hoping for LLCs in place of mainline do not an airport make.
If there were room for another mainline year round to Europe Icelandair would not have cut back. Try something different that shows a possibility of succeeding.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
just simple market demand. When thousands more Edmonton residents make it a habit to hop over the pond to visit London, Paris and Berlin as often as they visit LAS or Phoenix, then more routes open up.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:40 PM
Sand kicking airport guy.

Could be good in the long term, WOW serves several destinations in Europe that FI does not. Could stimulate the market at YEG again for FI.

CUN-MEX-YYC-YEG-YYZ-MEX-CUN

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 2:04 AM
A Better Place

Flying Flair to Miami in January - glad to have a direct transborder flight to somewhere other than the southwestern US or an all-inclusive destination during the winter months.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:05 PM

Kelowna frequencies

Booking a ski trip with some buddies in February and we are flying into Kelowna. I knew YEG had some pretty good frequencies with Air Canada, Westjet, & Flair all on the route but it's remarkable to be seeing 7-10 flights a day each way between the two given the size of Kelowna.

Not making much of a point, i know Kelowna is more tourism driven than a Saskatoon or Regina, but just kind of took me by surprise seeing the vast number of options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton