HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 5:50 PM
Only Mostly Dead

A tower crane! After seeing so many for so long, it's now become more of a rarity -- especially that far west. Happy holidays to you too, CityKid!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 7:38 AM

Has any work been done on 680 folsom lately? It seems as though the project is stalled perhaps?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 4:18 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Not a thing. I haven't read anything official, but I'm under the impression it's on hold.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 6:57 AM

John King thinks 101 Second Street works better now that it has taller neighbors. I think there's something to that.

Why Zampa Bridge, 101 Second St., Target work
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DDCS150N6H.DTL
... If Zampa Bridge was blessed by an act of subtraction, the addition of towers to San Francisco's skyline is what makes 101 Second St. look even sharper now than when it opened a decade ago.

From the start, to be sure, the 26-story tower had a presence that belied its modest height. It broke with the cut-and-paste historicism that defined too many towers of the prior 15 years, pairing green glass with pale yellow limestone and wrapping both around a rectangular shaft bowed slightly on the east.

The difference now? This tower no longer rises in isolation. New towers are popping up all around it - four in the past two years alone, each climbing higher and each clad in glass.

And each makes 101 Second stand out all the more.

The recent arrivals share a 21st century sheen. They're designed to make a splash, iconic markers of Now. They also lack depth, because glass by its nature has a two-dimensional look.

By contrast, 101 Second's design, by Craig Hartman of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, is all about texture and layers. There's ample glass, but the heavy limestone puts down roots. The details are modern, but the tower's stepped-back form conjures up a sense of the past.

It looks as if it belongs - high praise in San Francisco....

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:14 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Mercy Housing update from today:

The corner of course has the most interesting visual elements. I'm looking forward to the red paint going on the concrete wedge:

Here's the related senior housing around the corner:

I don't recall if anyone posted a rendering of this part of the development, so I found one today:

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:20 AM

Wow - that Mercy Housing building has gone up pretty fast. It's been awhile since I've been over there to take a look.

Thanks for the pics, pg.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:24 AM
Only Mostly Dead

On my way back to work I spotted a tower crane I hadn't noticed before and checked it out. Turns out to be for the second Mason St Glide housing project. You might recall that the first of these (125 Mason) is also the offsite affordable housing for the Millennium Tower development.

This is 149 Mason, which will be studio apartments and services for formerly homeless:

It will look like this:

Source: glide.org

It sits right next to the aforementioned and recently completed 125 Mason:

I wish I had taken more shots of it and could have gotten a better angle because it's yet another example of the interesting architecture going up throughout the Tenderloin.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:43 AM
Only Mostly Dead

My pleasure, Gordo.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:46 AM

Yeah, I'm a really big fan of 125 Mason. It turned out looking even better than the renderings, IMO, which is pretty rare.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:19 PM

i like how they are incorporating a masonry (no pun intended) look into the first two stories to give it a cohesiveness with the surrounding buildings.

ps anyone know if there are plans for that little abandoned theater next door?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:58 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Yeah, I'm a really big fan of 125 Mason. It turned out looking even better than the renderings, IMO, which is pretty rare.
Exactly my thoughts as well. I'm hopeful the same will be true of 149 as the rendering is just OK compared to 125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
i like how they are incorporating a masonry (no pun intended) look into the first two stories to give it a cohesiveness with the surrounding buildings.

ps anyone know if there are plans for that little abandoned theater next door?
I'm pretty sure Glide has plans for that as well. On their site, they describe these developments like this:
Quote:
This complex of three buildings helps accomplish Glide's strategic housing goal, to provide a wide spectrum of housing options.
They also have a rendering that includes the small building on the corner:

Perhaps that space will be used to offer the services they mention in the 149 description. I'm not sure though.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 7:43 AM

Mercy Housing

Thanks Peanut Gallery for the photo update. I live one block from the development and am a bit disappointed with the architecture (I expected much worse). It looks exactly what it is, painted concrete. It reminds me of a bunker. I'd liked to have seen an lighter treatment. Much too beefy for my taste.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 2:34 AM

San Fransico seems to be a interesting city, although still trying to figure out it's layout( mainly downtown). Seen pictures of the beaches right off the city, surprise to see how nice they were.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 4:19 AM

Mid-Michigan - the water is very cold at our beaches - I have never been in nor never will! They are nice to look at and walk along.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 4:28 AM

Trinity Plaza - Phase One - San Francisco

The last two weeks I've noticed the skin going onto Trinity Plaza. It appears to be plain concrete. The view is from my apartment on the 27th floor of the Fox Plaza. This structure will eventually disappear for men if the other phases are built a few years from now. Those in the SOMA Grand on the west side will have to live with it for a long time. Hopefully the windows will be a winner.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 4:53 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Sweet shot, Jerry! You should post it in the Trinity Plaza thread.

The skin on this will be very nice in my opinion. If you haven't seen it, the rendering can be seen in this post from the Trinity thread.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:13 AM

Peanut Gallery - thanks for pointing me to the updated picture of the building. I do not get to that side of Trinity Plaza often - I must make a trip and look at the progress from that angle! I looks like it will be a winner!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 2:47 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I had the opportunity to take some time the day before yesterday and shoot around the city. Since 2000 this is what I figure was added to the skyline:

The last decade has been good to San Francisco.

The original is 10,000 pixels wide. This is just the taller buildings, lots of the stuff in the bottom of the pic was added in the last decade, too, I know. Just north of 101/80.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:44 AM

Wow, cool picture, WonderlandPark. It's informative AND it's pretty.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:49 AM

Nice. I think the Four Seasons, behind (and partially obscured by) the Mariott, is new too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations