HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post

Per Urban Realty Block 12 aka ASU Bookstore at 6th & College broke ground.
Correction the signs were for an archaeological dig. Villas at VDS is almost complete. ISTB IV is finished and I'm about to check it out tomorrow. A few classroom touch ups with the Social Science fourth floor (condemned for awhile), Life Sciences A/B/D building and Batemen Center. Touching up Cady Mall by College and University and landscape work around PV Main/ West/ East, San Pablo and Manzy. Interesting seeing Manzy interior gutted out. Read that PVs would be remodeled once Manzy is completed.

One site has The Hub listed done by February 2013.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:40 PM

Websites for The Hub

Since all of you keep asking about these apartments here are the websites..
www.corecamp.us
www.thehuboncampus.com

Oh & opening date is August 2013 for apartments; however, for the retail/restaurant spaces...according to loopnet.com, it will be open or ready for move-in January 2013 (retail/restaurant)

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:37 AM

The latest on Gracie's Village

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...w-income-units

The Tempe City Council is expected to decide Thursday whether to allow an out-of-state developer to bypass height and density rules for a proposed low-income housing complex along the light-rail line.

More than 100 residents from neighborhoods flanking the land oppose Gorman & Co.'s request to build Gracie's Village, a four-story apartment that would replace the single-story Gracie's Thrift Store on Apache Boulevard west of McClintock Drive.

Grace Community Church owns the 2-acre site and is working with the Wisconsin-based developer to build the apartments. Several church members, who do not live near the proposed development, said they support the project because it would serve needy families.

But scores of residents near the proposed Gracie's Village want the developer to stick to the current zoning, which would allow a maximum of 40 units and a building no taller than 35 feet. Gorman is seeking a waiver for 50 units and a 54-foot building with areas that would reach 64 feet for an emergency staircase and elevators.

Nearby property owners have filed a legal protest against the proposal. The protest requires a supermajority 6-1 vote of the council for approval of the zoning amendments.

The proposed development is surrounded by several historic neighborhoods, including Borden Homes, which is nominated for the National Register of Historic Places.

Residents have spent the past year fighting to protect their neighborhood and property values.

Gorman officials have argued that they have scaled back their proposal from an initial plan that called for a six-story building with 75 units. Residents have scoffed at that argument, saying that it is ridiculous for the developer to characterize the new proposal as a compromise when it still does not meet zoning standards.

The developer has argued that the complex is in line with the city's General Plan guidelines and is essential to providing affordable housing for residents who cannot pay typical rental rates in Tempe.

Gorman's Brian Swanton told residents at a recent community meeting that individuals and families earning 40 to 60 percent of the area median income -- about $18,000 to $50,000 per year -- may apply for a rental unit.

Existing older apartments and rental homes in the area, which is close to Arizona State University, already provide affordable rates, said Chuck Buss, a Tempe real-estate agent who lives in the University Heights neighborhood near the proposed apartments.

Buss said he does not oppose low-income or workforce housing. However, he said the council should not grant the developer a waiver to build a towering apartment that would harm existing homeowners.

Residents in the historic Borden Homes neighborhood are worried the project would lower their property values and damage the quaint character of their neighborhood.

"The reason we're digging our heels in on zoning is we didn't want them (Gorman) to get an exception and then set a precedent that every single project ... in the future along Apache would get extra height and extra density," Buss said.

Several areas along the light-rail line east and west of Gracie's Thrift Store are zoned for the density the developer seeks. But the pocket where Gracie's Village would sit was zoned in consideration with the proximity of mature residential communities.

Visits with council members

The fight over the past year has become so heated that residents have begun to question whether city leaders are too focused on appeasing developers.

Gail Martelli, who lives near the proposed complex, said she does not understand why the council would even consider granting an exception for a future project when hundreds of area residents oppose it.

"We're not really asking for that much. We're just asking for them (Gorman) to stay within the current zoning," Martelli said. "How does it help my neighborhood to lower the standards that we set as a community?"

Martelli is among the many residents who worried the added building height will give future residents of the apartment a bird's-eye view into their backyards. "We would lose all our privacy," she said.

Martelli thought it would help council members to visit her house to see firsthand the impact of the development on her place.

Martelli said she appreciated Councilmen Corey Woods and Joel Navarro visiting her and listening to her concerns. She said Councilwomen Onnie Shekerjian, Shana Ellis and Robin Arredondo-Savage declined her offer.

"They said they were nervous about meeting with me at my home on such an emotional issue," Martelli said.

To ease their concerns, Martelli said she offered to pay for an off-duty Tempe police officer to guard the council members during the visit, but the councilwomen would agree only to meet at a city building with staff present.

"I think they really needed to see the situation we're dealing with from our backyard," she said, adding that she accepted the meeting at the city site as it was better than nothing.

Tax-credit application

Residents have been concerned that council members may feel obligated to give the developer what it wants because more than a year ago the city offered financial backing for the project as well as written support to the state for the project.

A Tempe development director sent Gorman a letter stating Tempe would consider providing $300,000 toward the project if it meets standards and is approved by the council.

The developer also had applied for federal low-income housing tax credits, which are allocated by the Arizona Department of Housing. A low-income housing tax credit is a credit against the federal income-tax liability of the developer.

As part of the application for the tax credit, Tempe development officials supplied a form to the state saying that the city would allow 74 apartment units on the site.

"The city basically told the state, months before they even told us about the project, that the developer could ignore the (zoning) standards," Martelli said.

This month, Mayor Hugh Hallman told residents at a council meeting that the form to the state did not obligate the city to approve a waiver for the developer.

"I'd like to believe that's true," Martelli said.

If Gorman builds the project, it is eligible for up to an estimated $2.17 million in federal tax credits, which can be claimed annually for a 10-year period. The property must maintain low-income rent restrictions for at least 30 years.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...#ixzz1wPpqyqP7

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:00 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
This:

looks exactly like what we need to see along the Light Rail line. I have no sympathy for the single family home owners in the area. You live near the LRT line, its big city time, sorry. I live in a single family neighborhood and 300 ft+ buildings tower over my hood and it doesn't really effect my, or anyone's, lives. If you want to live in a single family neighborhood with nothing but low density everywhere, the PHX area has that in spades and spades, time to vote with your feet.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:02 AM
A City's where I'll die

Tempe updates

On my way to work, I drove by last Thursday morning and took a couple of crappy pictures with my phone through a dirty window (I need to wash my car).

The Hub

Residence Inn by Marriott

I will try to stop by and take some better shots when I get a chance.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:30 PM

Argo at Town Lake

Argo at Town Lake
I just saw this today on the City of Tempe's Development page. Looks like two, potentially 4-6 story buildings are being planned at 601 W Rio Salado Parkway- near the Tempe Center for the Arts! Here is the info from the city's website:

ARGO at Town Lake

Address:
601 W Rio Salado Pkwy
Tempe, AZ

Category: Dev Review Commission

Meeting Date: June 12, 2012
Agenda
Description:
Request for ARGO AT TOWN LAKE (PL110131) (Jason Ottman, Evergreen Development Co., property owner; Brent Fike, Todd & Associates Inc., applicant) consisting of a new four story building over two floors of podium parking, with 604,105 s.f., on approximately 5.72 net acres, located at 601 W Rio Salado Parkway in the MU-4 Mixed Use District. The request includes the following:

GEP12003 - (Resolution No. 2012.60) General Plan Projected Land Use Map Amendment from Open Space to Mixed Use and Residential Projected Density Map Amendment from Medium-High Density (up to 25 du/ac) to High Density (greater than 25 du/ac) on approximately .5 acres of the 5.72 acre site.

ZON12003 – (Ordinance No. 2012.27) Zoning Map Amendment from GID, General Industrial District to MU-4, Mixed-Use, High Density District for approximately .5 acres of the 5.72 acre site.

PAD12003 – (Ordinance No. 2012.28) Planned Area Development Overlay Amendment to change existing entitlements for density from 99 du/ac to 63 du/ac, lot coverage from 53% to 75%, landscape area from 35% to 43.2%, building height from 189’ to 90’, side yard setback from 44’6” to 34’0”, and parking reduction from 631 to 559 parking spaces.

DPR12065 – Development Plan Review including site plan, building elevations, and landscape plan.

Here is the direct link: http://www.tempe.gov/index.aspx?page=812&recordid=332

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 1:56 AM

Here are some pictures I took this afternoon of 'The Hub' (Veteran's Way & College) and the Residence Inn by Marriott.

The Hub:

The Residence Inn by Marriott:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:16 AM

Interesting news.

Bruckal Group buys Tempe lofts for $6.7 million
Phoenix Business Journal by Danielle Verbrigghe, Editorial Intern
Date: Monday, June 4, 2012, 2:10pm MST
Related: Commercial Real Estate, Residential Real Estate
View photo gallery (2 photos)

The Farmer Lofts in Tempe were sold for nearly $6.7 million.

Danielle Verbrigghe
Editorial Intern- Phoenix Business Journal
Email
Bruckal Group. purchased the Farmer Lofts, an 18-condo property located in downtown Tempe, for $6.65 million. The property was previously owned by Avatar Development Group LLC.
Bruckal partnered with Synergy Properties Inc. of Vancouver, British Columbia, to make the acquisition. They obtained financing from 1st Bank of Arizona.
This is Bruckal Group’s fourth purchase in the Phoenix market in the past 18 months.
“This is where we are actively investing,” said Steven Bruckal, vice president of Bruckal Group.
Each of the 18 luxury condo units is rented. The 3-level units are about 2,500 square feet.
“We are going to hold them as rentals for the next three years and once the condo market returns we will sell off the condo units individually,” Bruckal said.
The complex, built in 2007, includes six work/live units, and is located on Farmer Avenue, a few blocks away from Mill Avenue.
“That location in Tempe is great,” Bruckal said. “The market for apartments has gotten much better over the past year.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...lofts-for.html

Last edited by ciweiss; Jun 5, 2012 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:58 AM

The District on Apache
The District on Apache seems to be under construction. It is the southeast plot of land located at Apache & Rural (part of Baer's Den). The project calls for a six-level parking garage, 2 5-level buildings, and 1 six level building according to one source. Also, it looks like a lot of more projects are getting in line to be approved/moved forward (according to COT council meeting).

Villas @ SB Approval?
The approval of the Villas at South Bank will be voted on the June 14th meeting. They expect construction on that project to begin soon after.

529 Tempe LLC Apartments update
Also, that development bordered by 8th street, Rural, and Terrace Road (529 Tempe LLC) is expected to get approval for relocation of SRP canal/confinement of 8th street. According to their original presentation, the project consists of two 20 story luxury apartment buildings (varying down to 10 stories depending on the market; built one-by-one in phases) with a multi-level building with 15,500 sq ft of retail. The canal realignment is expected to take place late-summer, early fall. The project itself will take off sometime in 2013. (according to Development review commission meetings) Since they are moving forward with the canal project, I expect this developer is serious and construction will start soon. However, I do expect the buildings to go from 20 stories to somewhere between 12-18 stories. My guess is that the residential (apartment) surge will calm after this project.

Predictions...post your opinion too
Personally, I predict office space is soon to see a surge in development here in Tempe. Especially at South Bank-now that the first South Bank project is less than 6 months from construction. I am assuming that the South Bank developer has chose to move forward because there are other projects in that area that are in the interests/planning stages that we do not know about. It is too much of an isolated project to assume a developer would take a shot like that without other surrounding parcels in planning.

Last edited by Spitfiredude; Jun 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:00 AM

Oh & nice pics, I went by the Marriott yesterday & saw that they have the base and first section of the tower crane in place. I would guess should probably be up by the end of this week or next week.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
529 Tempe LLC Apartments update
Also, that development bordered by 8th street, Rural, and Terrace Road (529 Tempe LLC) is expected to get approval for relocation of SRP canal/confinement of 8th street. According to their original presentation, the project consists of two 20 story luxury apartment buildings (varying down to 10 stories depending on the market; built one-by-one in phases) with a multi-level building with 15,500 sq ft of retail. The canal realignment is expected to take place late-summer, early fall. The project itself will take off sometime in 2013. (according to Development review commission meetings) Since they are moving forward with the canal project, I expect this developer is serious and construction will start soon. However, I do expect the buildings to go from 20 stories to somewhere between 12-18 stories. My guess is that the residential (apartment) surge will calm after this project.
This is great news since that piece of land is now home to a deserted shopping center and vacant lots. Does the small canal go underground east of Rural? You can see it above ground on the west side of Rural between the light rail station and America's Taco Shop.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
This is great news since that piece of land is now home to a deserted shopping center and vacant lots. Does the small canal go underground east of Rural? You can see it above ground on the west side of Rural between the light rail station and America's Taco Shop.
It does. The open channel canal was reconstructed a bit during light rail utility construction and it goes under ground into 4-5' pipe sections north of University and east of Rural. I was on the inspection crew in this area.

Some relatively cool information: The Salt River has changed paths many many times over the millenia. About 7-10 feet below the ground in this area of Tempe (and many other areas of Tempe) there is a layer of river cobbles (those smooth semi-large round stones) about 1-2 feet thick. When they were trenching for the new SRP irrigation pipeline, they were constantly trenching through this stuff.

Some other relatively cool information: The area around Tempe Butte is littered with prehistoric Hohokam artifacts. When they were digging they were constantly bringing up thousands of pottery sherds (there were even pieces of pottery just scattered about on the surface of the dirt near the old frat row) and other artifacts. There are probably hundreds (more?) of burial sites in this area too. They found/trenched up (and I saw) at least a dozen skeletons around the area of Wells Fargo Arena, the old frat row area, and the area just east of Hayden Flour Mill during underground utility work for the light rail line. Next time you get off light rail at College, you're likely walking on top of old graves.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:41 PM

Im not sure what site they are referring to....but interesting proposal for a site off mill ave...would be the city's tallest at 40 stories http://continentalgrp.com/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:48 PM
them bones

^I don't know how much faith I would put in that. Did you read the website? Grammatical errors all over the place. And oddly, there's a picture of Marina City in Chicago, but that developer started in 1979? Looks like amateur hour.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:16 PM

Looks like a class project to me. I've never heard of a developer describing their residences as "expensive." there's contact info at the bottom. Maybe someone should call.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:06 PM
BANNED

It's so odd. It's like the website was made in the speaking tone of the Eastern Block. Plus, the head guy without any vowels in his name looks like a Borat character. Very weird.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:18 AM

Sky Tower?

All I found after googl(ing) it was this article
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ts-stalls.html

The company seems like a joke. Doubt this is anything serious seeing how they didn't even attend the Scottsdale meeting.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:39 PM

There is a rendering of this project that has been posted before, but it appears that it is on track towards breaking ground soon. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...3-million.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:17 AM

Why Tempe could be the coolest city in AZ but I'm starting to have my doubts.

I live in the DT Tempe area. I cruise down to Mill ave multiple times a week to conduct business or enjoy the restaurants and bars. Lately (last couple of years) it just seems like it is non-stop begging and non-stop sign my petition form. There were UN petitioners on every corner a few weeks ago.

I am getting tired of this and am beginning to think about where I will move to next. The street urchins are getting out of hand. I see their tactics because I am down there all the time. I am deaf but I wrote out this message to beg for money at $5 increments. I used to see a couple on my entire trip but now I am seeing a couple on every block of my trip. Even with headphones on they are shouting at you. If the City does not do something quick I am gone. I don't get hounded at other parts of the valley. This is getting ridiculous. I used to disagree with all the AZcentral articles in regards to Mill going down hill but now am starting to agree with them. Its to bad because it has so much potential. Here is to hoping the city will do something but I'm not holding my breath.

Rant over.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
I live in the DT Tempe area. I cruise down to Mill ave multiple times a week to conduct business or enjoy the restaurants and bars. Lately (last couple of years) it just seems like it is non-stop begging and non-stop sign my petition form. There were UN petitioners on every corner a few weeks ago.

I am getting tired of this and am beginning to think about where I will move to next. The street urchins are getting out of hand. I see their tactics because I am down there all the time. I am deaf but I wrote out this message to beg for money at $5 increments. I used to see a couple on my entire trip but now I am seeing a couple on every block of my trip. Even with headphones on they are shouting at you. If the City does not do something quick I am gone. I don't get hounded at other parts of the valley. This is getting ridiculous. I used to disagree with all the AZcentral articles in regards to Mill going down hill but now am starting to agree with them. Its to bad because it has so much potential. Here is to hoping the city will do something but I'm not holding my breath.

Rant over.
I live live near, and work ON Mill Ave and walk around downtown Tempe nearly every day, and I hear what you are saying about the "street urchins." There certainly do seem to be a lot of them, many of them appearing to be in their 20s. I've never understood how they can afford their numerous tattoos and body piercings- which then limit their employment options somewhat.
From my observations though, I don't perceive that there is any more begging/ petitioning going on now than there was seven years ago when I moved to the area. Mill has always had a lot of this type of activity.
I do agree however that it has always seemed much more aggressive on Mill Ave than in other parts of the valley. I've NEVER been panhandled in Old Town Scottsdale for example. It could just be that because Mill Ave is such a well known pedestrian-friendly area that caters to a diverse spectrum of the population that street urchins know their odds of success will be higher here- and I also think it is because nearly 100% of the energy and activity in downtown Tempe is focused on the stretch of Mill Ave between University and Rio Salado, so again, the odds for successful contact and interaction between people is SO much higher than in Old Town -where energy and activity is so much more spread out. (I'm thinking about an insightful comment someone on this blog made the other day about how "One street, a downtown does not make...)
I also agree that the City of Tempe really does need to get a bit tough on this issue if they really want to change people's perspectives on the area. Quite frankly- it really is very annoying to be asked five or six times for money as you walk from the Metro stop at 3rd - down towards University. But I don't know what methods the city can use? Can they post "No Loitering" signs and then curtail begging by enforcing them? To my knowledge, it is not illegal to be homeless or to beg- so I don't really know what other options the City has. Thoughts anyone?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest