HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 4:19 PM

Is Century City getting a stop on the Purple Line?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas1092 View Post
Is Century City getting a stop on the Purple Line?
Yes.

The exact location hasn't been chosen, though. It's either Santa Monica Blvd/Avenue of the Stars or Constellation/Avenue of the Stars. Pretty clear what the best alternative is...though the NIMBYS of Beverly Hills disagree...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Yes.

The exact location hasn't been chosen, though. It's either Santa Monica Blvd/Avenue of the Stars or Constellation/Avenue of the Stars. Pretty clear what the best alternative is...though the NIMBYS of Beverly Hills disagree...
A few more questions if you don't mind me asking..

1) the pink line is a no go now, right?

2) the line isn't going to UCLA and instead is going to that hospital?

3) the possibility of the purple line actually going to Santa Monica is very slim or is it just that that's really far in the future?

-Thanks, Mike

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 11:21 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

1) The "Pink Line" as HRT was given the axe in favor of a cheaper alternative such as LRT subway (although a study needs to be conducted to see if it really is any cheaper -- I personally doubt it).

2) The line will have a station at either Wilshire/Westwood or Wilshire/UCLA parking lot. It is presumed that UCLA will operate a shuttle to transport students from/to the heart of the campus.

3) Funding for the SM extension is not provided for in Measure R. I see the line extending all the way to SM one day, but lack of identifiable funding and issues with equity mean that it will be a while.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Nothing much new in the article but the tone and content is reasonable. In general, I don't think the Times or WSJ have much of an anit-LA bias (although they sometimes have a failure to understand that it is possible to have a city that is different from NY; for example they don't note that London and Paris and closer in many ways to LA than is NY).

There are other writers that have a chronic, unchangeable dislike of LA but they are not of siginificance or concern.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 8:11 PM
Ascension

These are pretty cool.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 9:19 PM

^ Thanks for posting those. It'll be interesting to see what happens on the "Meredith property" when the Gold Line hopefully goes through it on the way to the airport, possibly along the Cucamonga channel, as residents have suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
1) The "Pink Line" as HRT was given the axe in favor of a cheaper alternative such as LRT subway (although a study needs to be conducted to see if it really is any cheaper -- I personally doubt it).
I wouldn't say it's official yet (as Crenshaw North is still a ways off), but basically your right.

Quote:
2) The line will have a station at either Wilshire/Westwood or Wilshire/UCLA parking lot. It is presumed that UCLA will operate a shuttle to transport students from/to the heart of the campus.
This will be useful until the 405 Corridor is built, with possibly a station at Ackerman Loop, near the heart of UCLA and a major stop for bus routes.

Quote:
3) Funding for the SM extension is not provided for in Measure R. I see the line extending all the way to SM one day, but lack of identifiable funding and issues with equity mean that it will be a while.
If there's funding left over, this project would probably be the first in line to inherit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Nothing much new in the article but the tone and content is reasonable. In general, I don't think the Times or WSJ have much of an anit-LA bias (although they sometimes have a failure to understand that it is possible to have a city that is different from NY; for example they don't note that London and Paris and closer in many ways to LA than is NY).

There are other writers that have a chronic, unchangeable dislike of LA but they are not of siginificance or concern.
Having living in a major city whose transit network "survived" the era of suburban sprawl, in a way, they have every right to dislike LA. I think a great deal of this lies with the fact LA once did have a vast transportation system but carelessly tore virtually all of it down; and now, it's changing its mind. It's like, "well why didn't you keep the system you had in the first place when building your highways?".

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 7:38 PM
BANNED

JDR: you are confusing me. NY (Manhattan) tore up all of their surface LRT long-ago. Generally, the same for London and other cities, basically because they were outdated, inflexible, buses were cheaper and the local govt. got tired of subsdizing them. LA tore theirs up as well for the same reasons. I don't see any significant move in those other cities to put in surface LRT in urban areas and hope LA doesn't either. (Surface rail in the suburbs also strikes me as a loser except as short feeders to HSR, but that is another story.)

LA did not tear up underground transit because it had essentially none. We have been slow to put in subways, but that is because it is very expensive compared to when NY, London and others put theirs in and because LA had much lower density until recently.

In brief, the differences between LA and NY or London in the 1940's to 1960's seem to met to explain the differences in approaches to transit. They both strike me as rational at the time.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
JDR: you are confusing me. NY (Manhattan) tore up all of their surface LRT long-ago. Generally, the same for London and other cities, basically because they were outdated, inflexible, buses were cheaper and the local govt. got tired of subsdizing them. LA tore theirs up as well for the same reasons. I don't see any significant move in those other cities to put in surface LRT in urban areas and hope LA doesn't either. (Surface rail in the suburbs also strikes me as a loser except as short feeders to HSR, but that is another story.)
Yeah, but by then, New York (as well as other major cities) already had huge subway and commuter rail systems built or under-construction. The PE system was really the only large rail network that we had, it was torn up largely because of pressure from the tire and oil industries.

Quote:
LA did not tear up underground transit because it had essentially none. We have been slow to put in subways, but that is because it is very expensive compared to when NY, London and others put theirs in and because LA had much lower density until recently.
Well, that's half correct. We did have the Belmont Tunnel, and the Boneventure developer unfortunately did not incorporate it into the foundation of the hotel (a station inside would've been NICE.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 5:14 PM
Ascension

Do you get your information from Wikipedia?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Wiki-pedia is good for checking dates and such but I wouldn't rely on it for broader conceptual issues. I have caught enough errors or serious prejudices there so that I won't use if for anything controversial. I remember the Singapore article a few years back, which was obviously written by the govt. of Singapore and had high praise for the brilliant leadership of Lee Kwan Yew and his son and criticism for his critics and opponents.

I think it's common knowledge that large industrialized cities got rid of their LRT during the early 20th century since it was considered inflexible, an eyesore, etc. LA was not the only one doing this as the history of NY or London shows (the London transit museum is very interesting). Even those who kept LRT often elevated it to get it out of the way of cars.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 5:12 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I visited my aunt in Ventura County over the Thanksgiving holiday. I was surprised how useless Metrolink is. No trains on the weekend? Makes Chicago's spartan once-every-two-hours Sunday schedule seem luxurious.

I spent Sunday night in Hollywood, and rode the Red Line using a TAP card (I wanted to get one to add to my collection of transit RFID cards). I don't think I need to restate that the implementation of the TAP card is boneheaded. What I will say is that when stuff like that happens, I always wonder if the people who decided to implement it that way have ever actually ridden transit outside of their own city, because to me that seems like the only way someone would choose to do such a clumsy implementation - if they'd never actually used a proper implementation. How much do transit decision-makers actually get to other cities to see how transit functions, what systems work, what don't, etc? It seems like that should be a requirement.

I was disappointed to see that Red Line service is never more frequent than every 10 minutes, even during weekday rush. On the Sunday afternoon I was riding, it was 12-minute headways. Not a huge fan of 1-mile spacing, either.

Got to see "puke-in-a-bag." I know this happens everywhere, it's just disconcerting when my first trip on a train in a city it turns up, whereas I haven't seen that in Chicago in a few years now. Also watched a voluptuous girl/woman in a miniskirt drink sips of vodka out of the bottle cap

There were things I did like.

I liked that most of the stations I saw had arrival times for the trains. Chicago is starting to add that, but we're not totally there yet. I liked that the trains were smooth and (relatively) quiet. I thought the buses with sort of a curvy, somewhat retro-looking style were pretty cool. I didn't ride any, though. I liked that there seemed to be some new transit-oriented development near the stations I saw. I would like to see Chicago encourage more things like the development on the NE corner of Hollywood and Western - perhaps without the extensive underground parking, though.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I visited my aunt in Ventura County over the Thanksgiving holiday. I was surprised how useless Metrolink is. No trains on the weekend? Makes Chicago's spartan once-every-two-hours Sunday schedule seem luxurious.
Metrolink doesn't run weekend service on the Ventura county line as the service is replicated by Amtrak.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:47 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Also watched a voluptuous girl/woman in a miniskirt drink sips of vodka out of the bottle cap

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:02 PM

L.A.'s Light-Rail Fiasco (LA Weekly)

L.A.'s Light-Rail Fiasco
How rail service to the Westside jumped the track

By Gene Maddaus
Thursday, Dec 2 2010

"Over the last year, a series of train bridges has risen at La Brea Avenue, La Cienega Boulevard and the corner of Venice and Robertson boulevards. They're all part of the Expo Line, the first train to the traffic-choked Westside since the days of the Pacific Electric.

They're also a symbol of everything that can go wrong on a massive public works project. The Expo Line is a staggering $260 million over budget — 40 percent above the initial price — and it may open as much as two years behind schedule.

The reasons behind the fiasco are as numerous as they are complex. But at its core, it's a simple story: Somebody had a clever new idea, and it backfired...."

http://www.laweekly.com/2010-12-02/n...t-rail-fiasco/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:00 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ well, no wonder its over budget - he's paying himself 334,000 a year!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
L.A.'s Light-Rail Fiasco
How rail service to the Westside jumped the track

By Gene Maddaus
Thursday, Dec 2 2010

"Over the last year, a series of train bridges has risen at La Brea Avenue, La Cienega Boulevard and the corner of Venice and Robertson boulevards. They're all part of the Expo Line, the first train to the traffic-choked Westside since the days of the Pacific Electric.

They're also a symbol of everything that can go wrong on a massive public works project. The Expo Line is a staggering $260 million over budget — 40 percent above the initial price — and it may open as much as two years behind schedule.

The reasons behind the fiasco are as numerous as they are complex. But at its core, it's a simple story: Somebody had a clever new idea, and it backfired...."

http://www.laweekly.com/2010-12-02/n...t-rail-fiasco/
It's not $260 million over budget. The guy is not counting the fact that the original budget of $640 million was not in 2008 dollars, the addition of Venice/Robertson, a phase II project was moved into Phase I, the problems with LADWP and the La Brea/La Cienega bridges, Farmdale addition, and USC station, which was optional and eventually Metro added the $5 million for. It's maybe $40 million over budget truly. Again, false reporting by the LA Weekly. Horrible paper.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 1:01 AM

emathias, does Chicago get creative with it's subway stations like we do, making the stations themselves an attraction?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 1:18 PM
TL;DR

Ha! We haven't built a new subway station in 60 years, and we can't even bother to clean the ones we have.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 2:04 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodha View Post
Metrolink doesn't run weekend service on the Ventura county line as the service is replicated by Amtrak.
At least for a couple of trains per day, yes...

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation