HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:21 PM

The only way LA will beat the Canucks is if Quick plays absolutely unbelieveably incredible and Vancouver's goalies let in a few soft ones.

Which is a possible scenario.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:46 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

...you're not better than Ottawa or Edmonton or Calgary in the last decade...
If you believe that, then there should be no need for your inferiority complex when it comes to Vancouver. You should focus more on your own team instead of constantly obsessing over the Canucks. It's neither healthy nor attractive.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Winnipeg is a bit of a Cinderella story being a new team and all. Give it another season or two and they will fall into the either the 'can't stand them' category like Vancouver or the 'not liked' category along with Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal or the 'nobody cares about them' category like Ottawa.
You've got it all wrong buddy. There's NO way you can put Edm and Calgary in the same category as Toronto and Montreal. Toronto and Montreal are not "not liked"... they go in the "hated and adored" category. Then you have the "ok, if they loose, ok if they win" which is Vancouver. Followed by the 3 "who gives a fuck but still glad you're there", that's right: Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary. And finally the "dam, I wish my team was exactly like their's and since they're not I will choose to pretend to ignore them although I'm green with envy" Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:44 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Looking forward to watching the bloodbath tomorrow, I wonder if Crosby will be able to last through the whole series, promises to be violent.

Really hoping the Rangers and Redwings meet in the final, when's the last time Original 6 teams met in the final?
Montreal Canadiens-New York Rangers 1979

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Montreal Canadiens-New York Rangers 1979
Wow, long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban2Core View Post
Calgary people have no idea what they're talking about. Don't worry bout them
Is that really necessary?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:21 PM

about as necessary as bringing "sushi dens" and "granola taverns" into an article about the Canucks Honestly, I can't believe stuff like that is actually published, yet it does make me laugh! Have to love ignorance.

Anyways, the last time Calgary was running for the cup they did indeed become Canada's team, or at least it seemed so in the national media.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
about as necessary as bringing "sushi dens" and "granola taverns" into an article about the Canucks Honestly, I can't believe stuff like that is actually published, yet it does make me laugh! Have to love ignorance.
What does an article in the Edmonton Sun have to do with Calgary? Anyway, no one should ever read any article published by Sun media, regardless of what city it's in. Pure trash!

Quote:
Anyways, the last time Calgary was running for the cup they did indeed become Canada's team, or at least it seemed so in the national media.
Same with Edmonton and Ottawa. Vancouver was Canada's team for a while, but I think a lot of the Canucks antics turned a lot of people off them. No one will doubt the skill of the team, but when they start diving and pulling hair, it's difficult for a non Canucks fan to stick by them.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Same with Edmonton and Ottawa. Vancouver was Canada's team for a while, but I think a lot of the Canucks antics turned a lot of people off them. No one will doubt the skill of the team, but when they start diving and pulling hair, it's difficult for a non Canucks fan to stick by them.
Bingo. There will always be the die hard fans, and the die hard haters (I really loathe that word, but can't think of a better one), but most of the country isn't full of mindless sheep who only pray to their One True God. Plenty of casual/fairweather fans exist, but more importantly, this country is full of HOCKEY fans. Not fans of just a particular logo, but fans of the sport itself.

When playoffs come, and "your team" gets eliminated... you must not like the sport very much to suddenly lose all interest entirely. Consequently, people latch onto other teams, for a myriad of reasons. And in Canada, national pride is stronger than we let on - so many people cheer for another Canadian team. Enough so that it becomes a national news story, and the phrase "Canada's team" gets bandied about.

I fail to see why this isn't obvious to so many people. It happens every freaking year when a Canadian team makes it deep in the playoffs, and it gets stronger the further away we get from 1993. Unfortunately the Canucks had to go and cock it up by being complete douchebags on the ice - I've never see the country turn so radically before. By the end of round 4, it felt like most of Canada was cheering for the American team, which certainly was not the case in 2004, 6, or 7.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

...I think a lot of the Canucks antics turned a lot of people off them. No one will doubt the skill of the team, but when they start diving and pulling hair, it's difficult for a non Canucks fan to stick by them.
You (and other Albertans like you) are so transparent on this issue.

Do you have any scientifically valid data which show the Canucks do these things any more than other hockey teams? Can you prove your belief is actually based on something objective?

Of course you can't. You cling to this narrative about the Canucks because it spares you the necessity of admitting to yourself the real source of your hatred: envy--envy of the team, envy of the city.

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Jesus. Why can't somebody dislike the Canucks without it being labelled as veiled envy?

I hate the Canucks. I'm not going to back that up with scientific date (seriously, WTF?).
I'll never cheer for the Oilers either, and their fans seem to be OK with that.
I'll never cheer for the Leafs, am I envious of them, too?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
That's so interesting.

Do you have any scientifically valid data which show Canucks do these things any more than other hockey teams? Can you prove your belief is actually based on something objective?

Of course you can't. You (and other Albertans like you) cling to this narrative about the Canucks because it spares you the necessity of admitting to yourselves the real source of your hatred: envy--envy of the team, envy of the city.
haha, scientifically valid data? we're talking HOCKEY here. Get over yourself. Just youtube "Canucks Diving" or "Burrows pulling hair" and you will have all the evidence you need. There's a reason the Canucks don't get a lot of respect from the rest of the league.

Anyway, I made my point, I'm not going to argue with you about it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
If you believe that, then there should be no need for your inferiority complex when it comes to Vancouver. You should focus more on your own team instead of constantly obsessing over the Canucks. It's neither healthy nor attractive.
There's nothing to believe, that's the cold hard facts...and you're mighty delusional if you think anyone is obsessing over the Canucks. Mighty delusional. Not to mention a bit pretentious.

Most of us aren't blind homers here, and enjoy the good game of hockey. We watch hockey all season long, not just in April. Hockey shouldn't include the constant diving, whining, biting and hair pulling known as the canuck brand of hockey.... "oh the refs are out to get the canucks" conspiracy stories that seem to come out from Nuck fans and media every other week. You can try to deny these facts, but when even TSN, Sportsnet, CBC has mentioned it, not to mention the many sports writers out there....

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Jesus. Why can't somebody dislike the Canucks without it being labelled as veiled envy?

I hate the Canucks. I'm not going to back that up with scientific date (seriously, WTF?).
pretty much. I can have an arguement with Flames fan and although we will disagree we can understand where one another is coming from. At the end of the day we are most likely just trying to convince one another that whatever my team is doing is better than what your team is doing.

When you argue with a Canucks fan...well.... threads like this happen. It speaks volumes about the immaturity of their fan base. I suppose when you didn't have anything to cheer for up until a few years ago your going to be inundated with fans who lack a solid grasp of the game. Perhaps the next generation of vancouver fans will be more knowledgeable...but most likely history will repeat itself and the next generation of fans will latch on to whatever local team is the most succesfull (like soccer lol)...perpetuating the cycle of fans who lack a solid grasp of sports.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:34 PM

Ok, one last thing on this, then I'm done. Why bring cities into this? I love Vancouver, but can't stand your sports teams, that's kind of the point of rivalries. Why try to make it more than that? it's just petty and goes nowhere towards changing my attitude of the Canucks.

Go Red Wings! one more cup for the Dynasty baby!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
There's nothing to believe, that's the cold hard facts...and you're mighty delusional if you think anyone is obsessing over the Canucks. Mighty delusional. Not to mention a bit pretentious.

Most of us aren't blind homers here, and enjoy the good game of hockey. We watch hockey all season long, not just in April. Hockey shouldn't include the constant diving, whining, biting and hair pulling known as the canuck brand of hockey.... "oh the refs are out to get the canucks" conspiracy stories that seem to come out from Nuck fans and media every other week. You can try to deny these facts, but when even TSN, Sportsnet, CBC has mentioned it, not to mention the many sports writers out there....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
When you argue with a Canucks fan...well.... threads like this happen. It speaks volumes about the immaturity of their fan base. I suppose when you didn't have anything to cheer for up until a few years ago your going to be inundated with fans who lack a solid grasp of the game. Perhaps the next generation of vancouver fans will be more knowledgeable...but most likely history will repeat itself and the next generation of fans will latch on to whatever local team is the most succesfull (like soccer lol)...perpetuating the cycle of fans who lack a solid grasp of sports.
When you're a high profile team like the Canucks, a biting incident (when the guy is trying to jam his glove in Burrows' mouth), or a hair pulling incident (when Burrows is getting fish hooked), gets major media attention and is way over hyped. Other teams are just as dirty as the Canucks, they just don't get the same media attention. And the last time I saw a stat on diving penalties this year, the Canucks were at the bottom of the list, with Washington leading the league in diving.

The two of you are easily influenced by the media and you let them manipulate your perception of the team and the city. I'm sure as you get older, you won't be as susceptible to the persuasion of the media.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:06 AM

Maybe if people (media, etc) would stop generalizing the Canucks and the fans, then maybe I'll stop generalizing Canuck "haters" (i.e. other fan bases). But as it stands now, every Canucks discussion I encounter is filled with "the fans are going to riot for sure", "the Canucks are a dirty team", "the team dives and whines more than ANY team" and on and on blah blah... Show me one team in the NHL that doesn't embellish calls or whine or what have you.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post

LOL, so true. Alot of the hate towards the Canucks is due to the actions of some of their fans, but mostly the actions of Canucks on the ice. Unfortunately they will never be Canada's team like any other team would in this country. Seems they have the inferiority complex though judging by the responses in this thread.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:10 AM

[QUOTE=ZeDgE;5661816]LOL, so true. Alot of the hate towards the Canucks is due to the actions of some of their fans, but mostly the actions of Canucks on the ice. Unfortunately they will never be Canada's team like any other team would in this country. Seems they have the inferiority complex though judging by the responses in this thread.[/QUOTE]

This right here is why many seem upset or angry, it is because we are being treated differently than any other Canadian team would in the same situation, and you expect us to be cool with that??

Thats what I don't understand. Why do people expect Vancouverites to be cool with being treated completely different (in a negative light) than any other city would in the same situation?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:28 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

Hockey shouldn't include the constant diving, whining, biting and hair pulling known as the canuck brand of hockey...You can try to deny these facts....
You have not presented any facts to deny, which is strange since hockey keeps objective statistics. If your beliefs regarding the Canucks and diving were factual rather than a rationalization for your all-consuming hatred, then it would be easy for you to show that the Canucks receive more diving/embellishment penalties under rule 64.1 than any other team.

Why haven't you done this then? Because, unfortunately for you, your hatred has nothing to do with the actual facts: the Canucks received just one diving penalty more than the Bruins during last year's playoffs and didn't receive a single diving penalty this entire season: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/stats/p...LL?&_1:col_1=6

By contrast, the worst offenders under rule 64.1 were:

Washington - 4
NY Islanders - 3
Dallas - 3
Minnesota - 3
NY Rangers - 2
Winnipeg - 2
St. Louis - 2
Pittsburgh - 2
Nashville - 2
Ottawa - 1
Calgary - 1
Boston - 1
Chicago - 1

As I said before, your obsession with the Canucks is unhealthy and has forced you into a war with reality which you cannot win. Let it go. Focus on other things in your life.

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 11, 2012 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:13 AM

[QUOTE=Metro-One;5661822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
LOL, so true. Alot of the hate towards the Canucks is due to the actions of some of their fans, but mostly the actions of Canucks on the ice. Unfortunately they will never be Canada's team like any other team would in this country. Seems they have the inferiority complex though judging by the responses in this thread.[/QUOTE]

This right here is why many seem upset or angry, it is because we are being treated differently than any other Canadian team would in the same situation, and you expect us to be cool with that??

Thats what I don't understand. Why do people expect Vancouverites to be cool with being treated completely different (in a negative light) than any other city would in the same situation?
I agree its kinda shitty. Maybe they should just win the cup and everyone will shut up. lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada