HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:18 PM
The City

^ Definitely exciting, but I wonder where they are going to fit that much parking?

Make no mistake, with this much parking not only are a lot of employees going to drive, but they must be planning for this excess parking to serve other local uses as well.

A lot of parking also means a lot of out of out of town visitors. River North West indeed in the making?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:57 PM

Im fine with the parking if it is hidden well, and i looks like it will be. the retail is great and its a great design. but where is that little pocket park going to be situated?

Edit: Just did a quick google earth search, and i see the parking lot it will cover, but what is going on with the building that is there? is it an unfinished building?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:04 PM

The 796 parking spots appears to be in the 6-7 story garage visible in the 1st and 4th pictures. The design is above average, but I really loved the previous renderings for the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Fulton West - 1330 West Fulton Street
290,000 sf office + ground floor retail
796 parking spots (!!!)
Pocket park covering what looks to be the existing parking lot
Designed by Gensler

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
I was standing in the blast radius at when the condo bomb went off and I watched this constant growth of dwelling size first hand.
I don't feel that a 3500 sq ft apartment with a two car garage is a sustainable model in the suburbs, let alone the inner city
Counting my basement family room I'm probably at 2300 sq ft. Between one kid and my wife's home office, I'm out of room. If we have another kid I'd have to move.

If the city doesn't provide housing large enough for families, then families won't live in the city. And building vertically makes that size home sustainable. We're not talking about ranch homes on 5 acres in Lake County.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Definitely exciting, but I wonder where they are going to fit that much parking?

Make no mistake, with this much parking not only are a lot of employees going to drive, but they must be planning for this excess parking to serve other local uses as well.

A lot of parking also means a lot of out of out of town visitors. River North West indeed in the making?
From the picture of the pocket park, it looks like the parking will be created by adding floors to the parking structure on Ada and Carroll.

The new construction will require 500+ spaces (2/1000 over 10,000)
The difference is roughly equal to the 165 existing in the Ada lot and the 50 displaced by the park on Elizabeth.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Counting my basement family room I'm probably at 2300 sq ft. Between one kid and my wife's home office, I'm out of room. If we have another kid I'd have to move.

If the city doesn't provide housing large enough for families, then families won't live in the city. And building vertically makes that size home sustainable. We're not talking about ranch homes on 5 acres in Lake County.
Trying to do the math here - I grew up with 2 other siblings in a house that was 2300 sq ft, maybe 2600 sq ft if you counted our basement family room. In total, it was probably 3600 sq feet if you count the entire basement including a home office on the main floor. 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3 living/family rooms (counting basement), dining room, full kitchen with an island, kitchenette, wood working shop, etc. We were totally fine with that and were never cramped.

Last edited by marothisu; Mar 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
290,000 sf office + ground floor retail
796 parking spots (!!!)
Pocket park covering what looks to be the existing parking lot
Designed by Gensler
This is pretty slick. Parking is a bummer, but considering it fronts an industrial site on Carroll and is completely hidden from Fulton, I am okay with it.

300,000SF of office space in this project, combined with the 200-300 new hires at Uber's Fulton West office should really accelerate the growth in this area.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
This is pretty slick. Parking is a bummer, but considering it fronts an industrial site on Carroll and is completely hidden from Fulton, I am okay with it.

300,000SF of office space in this project, combined with the 200-300 new hires at Uber's Fulton West office should really accelerate the growth in this area.
While that's a large number of spaces, the ratio really isn't all that high. Given that the standard for suburban office buildings is 4 spaces per 1000 SF, a ratio of just over 2 spaces per 1000 SF doesn't seem all that unreasonable in this relatively decentralized location. If this were outside city limits it would be at least 1100 spaces if not more. Available parking is a huge selling point for office leasing outside of the CBD.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 9:10 PM
TL;DR

^ Better in a garage than for the office project to metastasize with a bunch of cancerous parking lots and destroy the neighborhood. This one actually knocks out a surface parking lot, so +1 on that.

Still, this is not exactly a transit desert. 3 blocks to Ashland/Lake, with Green Line service and frequent #9 buses to Wicker Park, Lakeview, etc. It'll be interesting to see how much of the parking actually gets used. Unfortunately, like we just saw at Burnham Pointe, there's always a good reason to build parking... if the residents or tenants of the building don't want it, then you just make the spaces public. There's always an expanding demand for driving and parking... something Chicago really needs to turn around.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 9:14 PM

Plus a drive thru McDonald's on Lake/Ogden...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

yeah i just googled 2300 sq foot house

http://www.houseplanshut.com/house-p...lan-4119-1.jpg

how is that in any world not enough space for a family of 3? perhaps that pic is deceiving but nevertheless it looks enormous

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Seriously though, if we want to stay on the same level as cities like NYC or London then we NEED more projects like this or 30 Elm. We need to create an ultra lux habitat to compete for the global class.
Frankly, I dont WANT to be in Manhattan or London. If I did I would move there. The ultra luxury pissing contest going on in those cities is disgusting. F the "global class". They have enough playgrounds. Im more concerned for affordable, convenient housing for the working class people who actually live, work, shop, volunteer, and contribute the the vibrancy of the city day in and day out.

Not to mention most of whats fueling those developments is basically legalized money laundering

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/ny...er-condos.html
http://nymag.com/news/features/forei...estate-2014-6/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:00 PM

Still talking about that HPA River North (I mean RiNo) condo building?

Here's the info from the contractor:

All the Ultra High End units, with the exception of the Duplex Penthouse, are 2,530 sq foot, 3 BR (all en suite). 3.1 baths, and approximately 1,000 sq feet of out door space.
1st Floor – 2 car tandem parking for all 7 units
2nd Floor $1.695M – expansive additional outdoor space
3rd Floor $1.595M
4th Floor $1.625M
5th Floor $1.695M
6th Floor $1.750M
7th Floor $1.825M
8th Floor $2.9M for the 3,330 sq foot Duplex Penthouse with massive outdoor space

I don't see where the disconnect lies. There's no one right way to live. A millionaire can live in an 900 sq ft loft space he wants, or he can live in a 32,000 sq feet mansion with indoor basketball court, indoor/outdoor pools, staff quarters, and adjustable convention space if he wants.

I'm sure you'll find no shortage of people willing to spend that 1.7-2.9 million bucks to live in a stylish building in a stylish neighborhood of a stylish city. Hell, it could be their summer vacation space when they aren't at their Aspen house or their Miami Beach house, or it could be something somebody saved their whole life for after a lifetime of owning a small hardware store and putting their kids through college and they want to retire in modest luxury.

Christ almighty folks, let people be.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
What's the story with this site? From Google Maps it looks like there's been an unfinished concrete shell structure here since at least 2007. Was it going to be something else that fell through mid-construction?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:23 PM
The City

^. Discussed a while back. It was supposed to be the HQ of another company that got sunk in the 2001 recession. Now it will be completed as a spec office project by Sterling Bay.

I agree with your comments about the luxury condos. Too much disdain for the wealthy around here under the guise of hating "suburbanism" but some of us know better.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:29 AM

Why do people think this thing is going on the south side of the street where that empty lot is? Even numbered addresses in Chicago are located on the North and West sides of the street, meaning that concrete shell of a building is where this thing would go, not the empty lot.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yeah i just googled 2300 sq foot house

http://www.houseplanshut.com/house-p...lan-4119-1.jpg

how is that in any world not enough space for a family of 3? perhaps that pic is deceiving but nevertheless it looks enormous
No way that house is 2300 sq ft. More like 3000+. I grew up in a house that was 2300 sq ft minus the basement (3600 sq ft with basement) and it was smaller looking than that. I grew up around houses that looked like that picture and yeah, no way it's 2300 sq ft.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No way that house is 2300 sq ft. More like 3000+. I grew up in a house that was 2300 sq ft minus the basement (3600 sq ft with basement) and it was smaller looking than that. I grew up around houses that looked like that picture and yeah, no way it's 2300 sq ft.
fwiw heres the plan

http://www.monsterhouseplans.com/tra...lan79-108.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
So basically those dormers shown in the rendering aren't part of an actual second floor. There's only one floor there. My case still stands that if this thing had a legit second floor, it would be over 2300 sq ft and more like 4000. This one only has one floor and high ceilings. If you see a house like this with an actual second floor, it's more than 2300 sq ft.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Why do people think this thing is going on the south side of the street where that empty lot is? Even numbered addresses in Chicago are located on the North and West sides of the street, meaning that concrete shell of a building is where this thing would go, not the empty lot.
Who thinks that exactly? Every reply I have seen understands where it is located. Maybe you are confused by the talk of taking out a surface lot? Which it is... the pocket park component is to occupy the surface lot that fronts Elizabeth Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development