HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 9:54 PM

Austin's downtown real estate market can't seem to afford any (much?) panache. Better to have sustainable height over unsustainable style. One thing that height does bring is density. With density we have a better chance of bringing/affording style in the future.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Austin's downtown real estate market can't seem to afford any (much?) panache. Better to have sustainable height over unsustainable style. One thing that height does bring is density. With density we have a better chance of bringing/affording style in the future.
I just don't know if that will help out in the future. We already have two not so flamboyant tallest towers......that may have unfortunately started a trend.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 7:24 PM

bump....any news? Man I hope this one doesn't get pushed back.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:28 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I have a bad feeling everything is about to come to a screeching halt in terms of construction and development this coming up year.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I have a bad feeling everything is about to come to a screeching halt in terms of construction and development this coming up year.
Everything announced at this point should be green lighted and be practically ready to go as far as development. If anything were to be cut in the Austin area I'd imagine it'd be this project or the Travis though I'd think they'd secured financing by now and be well into the design/engineering phases right now.

I wouldn't expect any new major developments until 2020-21 as everything I'm hearing on the development end is leading me to believe interest rates will continue to go up and signal a national decline in high to mid risk projects. Austin is still a good investment and won't suffer, most likely, but I can't imagine we see much anything over 500'+ in the next 2 years unless things change. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:01 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Everything announced at this point should be green lighted and be practically ready to go as far as development. If anything were to be cut in the Austin area I'd imagine it'd be this project or the Travis though I'd think they'd secured financing by now and be well into the design/engineering phases right now.

I wouldn't expect any new major developments until 2020-21 as everything I'm hearing on the development end is leading me to believe interest rates will continue to go up and signal a national decline in high to mid risk projects. Austin is still a good investment and won't suffer, most likely, but I can't imagine we see much anything over 500'+ in the next 2 years unless things change. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I would tend to agree with you a bit. We are entering a new cycle right now. However, any new tower will not be restricted by height. Should a development company receive enough pre-leasing or sales contracts he/she could build a 1000'+ tower. Additionally, if company has a good development background, financing may be more challenging to obtain, but, not difficult enough to push back a project by 1-2 years.

We are not in a recession yet...but, one is coming. How deep and who it will affect is not 100% clear at this point.

**If I may suggest - should we want to continue this conversation regarding a potential recession (or difficulties in obtaining financing in general), we open up a new thread and not bog this one down.**

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:30 PM
Resident Moron

This, 600x and the Travis (along with Block 185) are likely going to be the last of a wave of big projects to get off the ground in the next 12 months. You'll see the credit markets become more cautious this year so I expect a couple of them to not make it, but that's just a guess.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
This, 600x and the Travis (along with Block 185) are likely going to be the last of a wave of big projects to get off the ground in the next 12 months. You'll see the credit markets become more cautious this year so I expect a couple of them to not make it, but that's just a guess.
I wholey agree with you though Block 185 is going up, you can take that to the bank. I'm confident on 600x and Travis I - though Travis II and this project I have much less confidence on.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 11:42 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
I wholey agree with you though Block 185 is going up, you can take that to the bank. I'm confident on 600x and Travis I - though Travis II and this project I have much less confidence on.
In addition to the current & short-term lack of confidence in the markets, this one may be in trouble without a major tenant & the fact that the same developer may brake ground a few blocks north (600xGuad).

I also wonder why they increased the size of this project in the last year. Do they have a major tenant? Or, was it simply bullish thinking?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 1:36 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
In addition to the current & short-term lack of confidence in the markets, this one may be in trouble without a major tenant & the fact that the same developer may brake ground a few blocks north (600xGuad).

I also wonder why they increased the size of this project in the last year. Do they have a major tenant? Or, was it simply bullish thinking?
There was a major player poking around downtown 6 months ago. This upsizing happened at a time when there was a lot of noise around lots of downtown projects shifting scale and scope.

I don't know a ton, but my feeling is they stopped poking around.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:29 AM
Meh

The utilities and streetscape plan was posted to the AULCC page. It also includes the elevations. The elevations are on page 51. As far as I can tell there's no change to the overall height, but I did notice the mechanical penthouse roof height is a bit higher. The number I had listed from the previous elevations was 652 feet, and this is saying 665 feet 6 inches. The mechanical screen height still tops out at 707 feet 6 inches. The number of floors hasn't changed either, it's still 46, and the first office floor is still level 17.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...pe_PLAN_03.pdf

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:13 PM

Glad to see that this thing is still getting filings. I was afraid someone had hit the big red STOP button sometime before Xmas.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 1:56 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I love the height of this tower. But, the angle of the crown does not match the steepness of all the other angles of the building. It looks off... The crown's angle needs to be steeper.

Yes...it makes the building taller, but, it's more consistent with the overall design.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:54 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I love the height of this tower. But, the angle of the crown does not match the steepness of all the other angles of the building. It looks off... The crown's angle needs to be steeper.

Yes...it makes the building taller, but, it's more consistent with the overall design.
Yes. Yes, THIS. You put to words what has been nagging me about this design. That and the hollow mechanical space...like I understand there's going to be machinery in there, but you can't cover that with a grating of a sort? So the crystal shape has a closed roof that's not the roof of the last office floor?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:19 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Of everything proposed right now, I want this to happen more than anything, including 6X. This tower is beautiful and unique!

I would love to see this thing kick off this year sometime.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:57 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Of everything proposed right now, I want this to happen more than anything, including 6X. This tower is beautiful and unique!

I would love to see this thing kick off this year sometime.
Seconded. This one could end up being in my top 3 favorites in Austin. Also, a lot of our new buildings lately have been pretty underwhelming when it comes to their lighting. This one will no doubt be spectacularly lit, not to mention the very centralized location and position in the skyline. I hate sounding like a booster, but this is one I'm really most excited about.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:58 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Seconded. This one could end up being in my top 3 favorites in Austin. Also, a lot of our new buildings lately have been pretty underwhelming when it comes to their lighting. This one will no doubt be spectacularly lit, not to mention the very centralized location and position in the skyline. I hate sounding like a booster, but this is one I'm really most excited about.
Yes! This tower in this location--such a significant presence. Really hope to see it or something similar go here. Pretty much all of the blocks from Guadalupe to San Antonio are under developed which looks odd on the skyline. Hope this is the year we change that!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post

I can't really tell what you are talking about...looking at the most recent renderings and the elevations, they look like the same steepness and look consistent. What are you referring to?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I can't really tell what you are talking about...looking at the most recent renderings and the elevations, they look like the same steepness and look consistent. What are you referring to?
( didn't look that way to me either.... Its an optical illusion due to the top being white in the rendering.... I threw it into photoshop and dropped a line on it to be sure.... All the angles carry thru each plane. )

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 12:49 AM

Big blatant bump. You know there is a lot going on in Austin when the thread for what is arguably the best project drops to half way down the second page. There was an update to the site plan to clear the comments for approval about a week and a half ago. This may actually get approved before Lincoln's other project - 6 X Guadalupe - gets approved. The site plan for 6 X G has been inactive since December.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin