HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Hopefully this inaugural season will go well.

The question marks will be Summerside (too small for a franchise IMHO) and how well the Ontario teams will do.

For the league to survive, they will have to establish at least a half dozen strong franchises in central Canada. The intermediate term goal should be a 12 team league in eastern Canada, with plans for expansion to western Canada down the road.

If the league can survive the next couple of years, then I think the future can be bright for professional basketball in Canada!
The Problem with Summerside is it didn't brand itself as an Island team. The original market was supposed to be Charlottetown BUT because Summerside has a nice and newer facility and it already owns a basketball court leftover from the '09 Canada Games, things were just easier in Summerside. There was a TON of people at the game here last night though!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 8:09 PM

Updated Oshawa Power logo. That's better then a real ball!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 9:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I took one of my sons to the Moncton Miracles home opener this afternoon.

Unfortunately the Miracles lost 97-92, but they put up a valiant effort and actually led most of the game, only losing in the last five minutes.

The NBL is actually a good product. The level of play is very good and the production values are also impressive, with dancers, a mascot, giveaways and a festive atmosphere.

I'm not sure what the attendance was, but they had the upper bowl curtained off and they only sold tickets for the lower bowl sections paralleling the court. The sections sold were at least 80% full, so I will estimate that there was probably 2,800-3,000 spectators. They were really into the game and seemed to enjoy themselves. I know that I will be back.

Here is a photo that I snapped during gameplay:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 2:05 PM

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the game. I have been a season ticket holder for both seasons of the Mill Rats and thoroughly enjoy it. The quality of basketball is phenomenal!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Well, I took one of my sons to the Moncton Miracles home opener this afternoon.

Unfortunately the Miracles lost 97-92, but they put up a valiant effort and actually led most of the game, only losing in the last five minutes.

The NBL is actually a good product. The level of play is very good and the production values are also impressive, with dancers, a mascot, giveaways and a festive atmosphere.

I'm not sure what the attendance was, but they had the upper bowl curtained off and they only sold tickets for the lower bowl sections paralleling the court. The sections sold were at least 80% full, so I will estimate that there was probably 2,800-3,000 spectators. They were really into the game and seemed to enjoy themselves. I know that I will be back.

Here is a photo that I snapped during gameplay:

Apparently the official attendance was 1800, so probably around 1500 in the seats. Not bad for their first game, hopefully it picks up towards the end of the season.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Apparently the official attendance was 1800, so probably around 1500 in the seats. Not bad for their first game, hopefully it picks up towards the end of the season.
Actually I would believe the 1,800 figure. Like I said, at least 80% of the available seats were sold.....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sadly, it was announced in the T&T today that Norris Bell, the GM and coach of the Moncton Miracles has resigned, apparently for family reasons back in Atlanta.

This is a big loss. Mr. Bell was quite personable and did a lot to promote this new franchise in the Moncton region. He will be missed.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 9:27 AM
The New Republic

Thanks for the Moncton pics. Would be great to see pics from other cities around the league.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 9:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

abridged from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1459397

Miracles get new coach, GM
Published Monday November 28th, 2011

Mike Evans played nine seasons in the NBA
by neil hodge
Times & transcript staff

The Moncton Miracles are hoping that Mike Evans can help reverse their fortunes.

The National Basketball League of Canada team named him as its new head coach and general manager this weekend. He replaces Norris Bell, who resigned on Friday, and he takes over a Miracles' squad that's worst in the league at 0-7.

Evans played nine seasons in the National Basketball Association for the Denver Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs, Milwaukee Bucks and Cleveland Cavaliers. He was selected in the first round, 21st overall, by Denver in the 1978 NBA draft and he was among the league's best three-point shooters for much of his career.

The North Carolina native finished his NBA playing career in 1987-88. He also suited up for one season in Italy's professional league.

Evans has worked in the NBA as Denver's head coach and assistant coach and he was an assistant coach with the Toronto Raptors. He was head coach of the Halifax Rainmen last season in the Premier Basketball League and that club is now one of Moncton's rivals in the NBL Canada.

His son, Mike Evans Jr., plays for Moncton.

"We're excited about bringing in a head coach and general manager the calibre of Mike Evans," said Kim Blanco, Moncton's senior vice-president of business affairs. "He has an extensive NBA background both as a player and coach and I think he will bring out the best in our players.

"He coached Halifax last season so he understands this league. He understands the importance of the team being involved in the community. He understands what's involved in this job. It was a priority in our search for a new head coach to bring in someone who values being involved in the community.

"Evans was Halifax's head coach last season in the PBL and he made a big impression on team owner Andre Levingston.

"He's a class act," said Levingston. "He's played and coached at the highest levels and he's a very passionate coach. He works extremely hard. He takes his job very seriously and has a lot to offer the game.

"For Moncton to get a head coach of his stature this early in their franchise existence, that's definitely a blessing for them. He's going to bring a lot to that organization. He has a lot of patience and understands how to develop young guys. They will definitely benefit from having him there."

Evans only spent one season in Halifax.

"We were unable to come to terms on a contract," said Levingston. "Mike has accomplished a lot so his resume dictates him feeling that he deserves more as a coach which I totally understand.

"We were unable to come to an agreement for Mike to come back here this season, but he and I remain very good friends. I wish him and the Moncton organization success."

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 4:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton Miracles get first win!!!!

The Miracles beat the Summerside Storm last night 112-101 in Summerside. The team now has a lowly record of 1-11 but I think brighter times are in the future. We lost our last game to Saint John by only three points, on a last second buzzer-beater. I think we are now competitive in the league.

The new coach has made a difference and the team has signed four new players in the last couple of weeks, making the line-up much more experienced. The old coach (Norris Bell) may have misinterpreted that this was a "development league" and our original team roster was relatively young and inexperienced.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 1:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton Miracles win first game at home!

The Miracles beat Oshawa Power this evening at the Coliseum by a score of 103-95 in front of a noisy and appreciative crowd of about 1,600.

The game was fast and very entertaining. We sealed the deal with two consecutive three pointers with about two minutes remaining and finished off the game by playing solid defence.

The team still only has a record of 2-11, but are 2-2 in their last four games, with one of their losses being by a buzzer beater at the end of the game.

I think the team has turned a corner here. It will still be tough to make the playoffs, but "Miracles" do happen!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 1:54 PM

This league appears to be doing well at the moment and it sounds as though they will add a few expansion teams next year, however it may be at the expense of an existing franchise.

Summerside seems to be the surprise success with a competitive team that will most likely make the playoffs as well as very strong attendance.

Moncton has improved their on court performance in recent weeks but stands little chance of making the playoffs after a rough start. Attendance has been a disappointment to this point but may be attributed to the rough start on the court.

Saint John currently holds the fourth and final playoff spot however this is in significant jeopardy as Anthony Anderson, who leads the league in scoring, is out for the next 4 weeks with an injury. Attendance in Saint John is down from last season however the last home game had over 3000 fans and continues to be strong.

Halifax has a high quality team and will most likely challenge for the league championship with London. The addition of Rodney Buford who played 5 NBA seasons is significant and he is a game changer. Attendance continues to be strong.

Looking forward to the second half.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Moncton has improved their on court performance in recent weeks but stands little chance of making the playoffs after a rough start. Attendance has been a disappointment to this point but may be attributed to the rough start on the court.
According to the T&T, the Miracles have been averaging just shy of 1,400 per game average attendance. This is in the middle of the target range that the owner had been hoping for in the initial season (1,200-1,500).

I agree with you that the slow start may have hindered things. Also, the first six games of the season were all played on the road, and the team has still only played about six home games total. It will take a little time to build product recognition in the city.

Still, the product is good and the team is doing some smart things in terms of marketing. The Miracles have also won three of their last six games. The atmosphere at the games is great and once sports fans in the city discover this, I will have no concerns that the franchise will prosper.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Still, the product is good and the team is doing some smart things in terms of marketing.
So are they advertising in the city? Billboards, posters, radio?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
So are they advertising in the city? Billboards, posters, radio?
They have dancers and a mascot at the games and team merchandise is available for sale. The players and the coach have been out in the community at events building support and holding clinics for minor basketball players in the city. There has also been a lot of coverage of the team in the T&T. They are doing a lot of the same things as the Wildcats do.

The Coliseum is configured for lower bowl sideline seating during Miracles games. 1,400 fans may not sound like a lot, but that amounts to about 50% of the available seating which makes the crowd seem bigger than it actually is. This contributes to the atmosphere and the crowd can be pretty noisy. The players seem to feed off of this.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 5:04 PM
Honored Member

The NBL of Canada league seems to being doing well. Halifax had close to 4,000 in attendance for their game last night. story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...derson-s-debut). This could become a good league for prospective Canadian national team players.

Hopefully the league will continue to grow and attract a few more Ontario/Quebec teams next season. As the league grows stronger, they will be able to increase the salary cap and attract even better known players.

Quote:
Rainmen swamp Mill Rats in Anderson’s debut
January 15, 2012 - 4:35am By BRIAN FREEMAN Sports Reporter

Halifax Rainmen's Eric Crookshank, left, battles Saint John Mill Rats' Darren Duncan for possession of a loose ball in a NBL game in Halifax on Saturday. (ADRIEN VECZAN / Staff)

Count Richard Anderson’s first game with the Halifax Rainmen a resounding success.

The former Canadian national team member didn’t accumulate any gaudy statistics in Saturday night’s 121-104 win over the Saint John Mill Rats, but his teammates saw exactly what they were hoping for in the burly centre.

"We’ve been beating teams with very scrappy team defence but we didn’t have no beast inside that can really just hammer other big guys so that’s gonna help," veteran power forward Eric Crookshank said after Anderson’s debut.

"Once he gets comfortable with everything, he’s gonna give us more but he did great tonight."

Anderson, a six-foot-seven, 245-pound native of Ottawa, was signed earlier this week after parting ways with his club team in the Czech Republic.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 2:05 PM

Quote:
RAINMEN DROWN LIGHTNING

source

The Halifax Rainmen defeated the National Basketball League of Canada’s first-place London Lightning on Sunday afternoon by a score of 104-78 in front of 4,562 fans.

http://rainmenbasketball.pointstreak...ews/news_43548
Halifax finally beat the top team in the league, in front of an impressive size crowd.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 8:05 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Just noticed on Mayor Morgan's twitter feed that a group is looking to set up a franchise in Sydney. I'll continue to keep an eye out for updates, but I could see a Sydney franchise doing reasonably well. Basketball is a very popular sport in the area.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 8:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good to hear!

It's a good product. I took in about 8 Miracles games this year and always found it quite entertaining. The team averaged about 1,400 per game attendance and got over 1,500 for the last home game against the Rainmen (we won).

The league also wants to add at least three teams in Ontario for next season (they're talking about Windsor, Ottawa, Kingston and KW). If the league can get at least 12 teams and a strong Ontario division, I think that the NBL will be here to stay.....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:26 AM
Honored Member

It is good to see that the NBL of Canada will make it through its inaugural year. It is also great to see the Rainmen come back from being down 0 wins and 2 losses.

Quote:
Lightning lose their thunder
ZAPPED IN HALIFAX: They have one game to find it

By MORRIS DALLA COSTA, The London Free Press

Last Updated: March 22, 2012 9:55pm

Before the games began, the National Basketball League of Canada would have been perfectly happy if it had known its first season would go down to a deciding Game 5.

After the first two games of the NBL final, the Halifax Rainmen would have been ecstatic.

As for the London Lightning, it's safe to say today they are wondering what hit them.

The Halifax Rainmen left London looking dead in the water. They'll come back Sunday to the John Labatt Centre for a one-game, winner-take-all decider for the NBL championship.

The Rainmen tied the best-of-five final 2-2 Thursday with a 93-85 win over the Lightning in front of 3,832 at the Halifax Metro Centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces