HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:50 PM

Zoning help

My parents are thinking about dozing one of their properties and building a duplex but don't know if we can because we don't know what we are zoned and what the codes are etc... Its the Bible Park area off Monaco and between Hampden and Yale. Where can I go to find out if we can build the duplex here without calling the city and dealing with that? Thanks

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:11 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I would start by entering your address here:

http://www.denvergov.org/FindYourZon...5/Default.aspx

Once you know what zone district you're in, click on the link (or navigate elsewhere) and it should open up the appropriate code sections in PDF. You'll have to look in the code to see what you can/cannot build there.

If you need any help with the details, PM me (or if you want it to be a fun public exercise, we could do it here too ).

EDIT: My guess is you're in the S-SU-F. If that's the case, it's sort of the classic larger-lot suburban zone district, and there's probably not much they can do.

There are also a lot of pockets of Arapahoe County in there... I'm assuming they're in Denver, though?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:32 PM
BANNED

based on that area...sounds very SFH to me....but yeah check that map, or look up that address in the real property records and click on "new zoning code" link on the prop record.

if it is SFH, and if the zone lot is big enough...you could possibly do a lot-split and build to SFH.

let me know if you need a developer / builder!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:35 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
based on that area...sounds very SFH to me....but yeah check that map, or look up that address in the real property records and click on "new zoning code" link on the prop record.

if it is SFH, and if the zone lot is big enough...you could possibly do a lot-split and build to SFH.

let me know if you need a developer / builder!
That would have to be one hell of a large lot, that area is zoned for 8500 sq ft minimum lot size.

Moneymaker, your parents are probably SOL.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:21 PM

It appears we are about 1500ft short of splitting it up into 2 houses

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
BANNED

^ you might be able to fight / beg / compromise for a variance...really depends on the neighbors, design and how palatable it all is. if the current house is not contextual, and you come up with two that fit in great...just might work.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:15 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Not a chance on a variance, not there. Not in a large recently platted subdivision where the lots and houses are all substantially identical. If you want to try, let me know, but I won't make any promises.

Another thing, I don't think we got your actual address but most of that is fairly recent development down in that area, you might also have covenants to contend with.

Remember that everything about suburban development is set up to make change as difficult as possible; to protect people from change.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:51 PM

My neighbors call the city if there are more that 5 weeds in the lawn. Everyone is a retired King of the Hill kind of person. This is actually probably one of the worst neighborhoods to live in.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West