HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 6:01 AM

i dont know about you guys...but i love the name...CITIFIELD...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 12:30 PM
New Yorker for life

^I like it, though I'm not a Mets fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
now what about all those run down business next to the new ball park?? they are nothing but old dirty auto-body shops & junk yards...are they gonna be relocated and replaced with taverns? stores?? or what???? I can't imagine these business will remain there....[/img]
Yeah, the City has yet to release its plans for the so called "iron triange", but it's supposed to be a city within a city type development. We'll see...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
Bionic Boogie

It would be great if the city re-design this area to have better access to the waterfront, marina and LGA airport...from the new ball park..
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Last edited by CarlosV; Apr 12, 2007 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 1:06 PM
Bionic Boogie

here's a foto a took a while back too...

and how about re-designing and replacing these horrible #7 train stations along Roosevelt Avenue....they are eye sores....i hate that horrible paint job and everything about them!!! yuk

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 1:18 PM

Quote:
and how about re-designing and replacing these horrible #7 train stations along Roosevelt Avenue....they are eye sores....i hate that horrible paint job and everything about them!!! yuk

They've redone many of these 60s era stations along a number of lines (including further down the 7), so hopefully this station will get a much needed facelift before CitiField opens.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
not bad. it's kinda cheesy given its location and that it's relatively throwback in its design, but the fact that the arches are open and there's a modern "top" to it are decent. it's stupid that there will be two huge parking lots on either side of the walkway between the 7 train and the entrance of the ballpark. overall though, it's an ok design.

jeez, in thinking about it, the NL east is really shitty for stadiums considering its participants. new york, philadelphia, washington, atlanta and miami, and yet every last one of them is suburbanesque. ironically, atlanta's is currently the most urban of them, but at least NY, philly and DC have transit stations. (does miami?) and, DC's new ballpark should be nice.

now that shea will be gone, what will be the worst ballpark in baseball? oakland's?

Minnesota and Tampa come to mind.

One thing that bugs me is that they could have turned the thing around and at least faced the city

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:53 PM
low-riding

4/11/07

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 11:29 PM

Thanks Scruffy!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzz2000 View Post
One thing that bugs me is that they could have turned the thing around and at least faced the city
All baseball ballparks are in the direction they're in because of the sun.

They're oriented that way in order to avoid having the sun in the batter's eye in the afternoon.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:04 AM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
All baseball ballparks are in the direction they're in because of the sun.

They're oriented that way in order to avoid having the sun in the batter's eye in the afternoon.
Holy crap. that makes perfect sense and I never thought of it before. So in other words the only way to have a baseball stadium face the skyline it would have to be in Jersey. No one wants that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 11:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
4/11/07

It makes me cringe to look at those signs, but they do need the new stadium.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 1:33 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzz2000 View Post
Minnesota and Tampa come to mind.

Minnesota is starting groundbreaking on their new ballpark next month.

Tampa will then undoubtably be the winner.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 6:12 PM

Why are they building the new stadium with less capacity then the old one?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 6:33 PM
welcome to the madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokarma View Post
Why are they building the new stadium with less capacity then the old one?
That's generally been the trend with most sports stadiums built in the US for a while. Less capacity means more sellouts and a higher premium for tickets. I personally like the trend with these newer stadiums--views are better, seating is nicer, better amenities and for me one of the biggest plusses is that stadiums no longer feel empty when 25,000-30,000 people show up for a typical weeknight game. Places like Skydome in Toronto are crowdeaters.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 9:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Luxury boxes also take up more space. There was a plan to create some at Yankee Stadium, cutting into capacity there. But that never went through.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 7:09 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-wi...m-topheadlines

Mayor details Willets Point plan

By Karla Schuster
May 1, 2007

As the Mets' new stadium rises nearby, Mayor Michael Bloomberg Tuesday unveiled a proposed master plan for Willets Point that would transform the 60-acre swath of car repair shops and junkyards near Citi Field into a mixed-used development that officials envision becoming New York's version of the neighborhoods flanking Fenway Park in Boston or Camden Yards in Baltimore.

The single largest feature of the plan, outlined Tuesday at a news conference at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, is 1.7 million square feet of retail and entertainment space that would be built across the street from the new CitiField ballpark.

There would be few, if any, interior walkways and no big box stores -- a street-oriented design aimed at drawing fans before and after games
, similar to Landsdowne Street outside Fenway Park or Baltimore's Inner Harbor neighborhood surrounding Camden Yards, according to officials from the city's Economic Development Corporation.

The plan also includes 5,500 units of mixed-income housing, some townhouses and some mid-rise apartment buildings of no more than eight stories; a 700-room hotel, a convention center, 500,000-square-feet of office space, a two-acre park and a new bridge into Flushing over Flushing Creek. Designers have also included plans for so-called "green roofs" on many of the buildings to create additional recreational space.

While the city has outlined its plans for redeveloping what is called the Iron Triangle before, Tuesday's announcement offers the most detailed vision for the site yet and kicks off the formal land-use review process necessary to rezone the area, acquire the property and re-locate the estimated 250 businesses there.

The area has no sidewalks or sewers, and is pockmarked by potholes and deep puddles. City officials acknowledge that an expensive environmental clean-up is necessary before the site can be developed. The city expects to choose a developer by next summer.

The plan, called bold and ambitious by some and criticized as needlessly uprooting viable businesses by others, must be approved by the city Planning Commission and the City Council. A public hearing on an upcoming environmental study of the site will be held Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. and from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Flushing library.

Businesses and property owners from the area have decried the city's plans, which include seizing the property through eminent domain if owners are unwilling to sell.

Approximately 1,300 workers would be displaced if the city's plans for redevelopment are approved. The city estimates the construction would generate 20,000 jobs, while the the project would create 6,100 permanent jobs at full build-out.

http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-wi...mepage-swapbox

Willets Point's last man standing defiantly

May 1, 2007

On the west side of 126th Street, the Mets are building themselves a new home, while three blocks away, in the rutted exhibit of planned urban neglect known as the Iron Triangle, Joe Ardizzone is just trying to save his old one.

The higher the concrete towers and steel framework of Citi Field rise, the lower the hopes of Ardizzone sink. But while Bruce Ratner has been successful in displacing - or, to use the preferred term of the real estate vulture, "relocating" - thousands of city residents to make way for the future home of the Brooklyn Nets, Ardizzone says there is no way the city or the Mets or any combination of the two will evict the one and only resident of Willets Point, N.Y.

"They'll have to kill me and drag me out of here first," he said. "This is my home. This is not democracy. This is not American. Why should I have to leave the place where I've lived my whole life so some billionaires can get richer?"

No one has yet told Ardizzone, who is 74 and more energetic than any man his age has any right to be, that he has to leave his two-story stucco and brick house, wedged between an ironworks and an auto parts dealer on Willets Point Boulevard, today, tomorrow or ever.

But then, no one has told Ardizzone or any of the 100 or so business owners in The Triangle anything.

"We don't know what they're going to do," Ardizzone said, although he has a pretty good idea. "Their goal is to take all this away from us, come hell or high water."

The high water already has come. In fact, it never leaves an area in which the only storm drain is used by Shea Stadium and where, although the area businesses pay as much as $75,000 a year in taxes, the city has never seen fit to install sewers or provide basic services such as snow removal or road repair. (By the way, the Mets don't pay a nickel in real estate taxes now, nor will they on their new ballpark.)

But now that Citi Field is rising, it suddenly has dawned on a lot of powerful people that Willets Point, for a half-century the most neglected sliver of land in the city, soon could be a slice of real estate as valuable as Sutter's Mill, circa 1849.

And whatever "they" are doing, the fear is that they are doing it in secret, the way they always do when there is a land grab of this magnitude in the works.

At first, the Willets Point community thought it needed to fear only the city, which would seek to condemn the land they live and work on as an environmental hazard, seize it under eminent domain and then sell it off to a real estate developer.

Now they realize their enemy is not only the city but the Mets.

"Since 1994, Fred Wilpon told us, 'We've co-existed with you for 40 years and we can continue to co-exist with you,' " said Richard Musick, the spokesman for the Willets Point Business Association. "But about two years ago, he stopped returning our phone calls."

Yesterday, the other shoe dropped. At a meeting with politicians at Tully Construction on Northern Boulevard, city councilman Thomas White Jr. passed along the bad news: Wilpon had changed his mind. "He said, 'The junkyards gotta go,' " White told the group.

The stereotype angered Ardizzone even more than the death sentence it carried.

"People from the outside, they come here and all they see is junkyards," he said. "This is a community, with hard-working people trying to make a living. These are human beings here."

It is a point that seems to be lost on the politicians, who see only dollar signs, and on sports fans, who don't care whom the bulldozers flatten in the rush to build their heroes a stadium, and by a lot of sportswriters, who become willing shills for the team just thinking about what a dump the Shea Stadium pressbox is.

None of them seems to realize that the only ones who will truly benefit from Citi Field are the Wilpons and the privileged few who are well-heeled or well-connected enough to score one of its 42,000 high-priced seats. The Mets did not return a phone call seeking comment yesterday.

Ardizzone, who never married and has lived in the house alone for the past 40 years, considers the people of Willets Point his family. One after another, they came up to him yesterday, most uttering a single word: "Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow" is today, when every man and woman working in Willets Point, along with as many family members, friends and supporters as they can rustle up, will gather at the Flushing branch of the Queens Public Library on Main Street to demonstrate against what they see as an invasion of their turf by the people who are supposed to protect it.

They seem to know it is a doomed battle - David hasn't beaten Goliath since the Old Testament - but one worth fighting nonetheless.

"Just because the big guy always wins," Joe Ardizzone said, "doesn't mean you have to roll over for him. What am I supposed to do, lay down and die?"

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:55 PM

NYGuy, I think the Willets Point Development deserves its own thread. I don't want to take away anyone's thunder, and folks like you and Jularc and Carlos do a phenomenal job of keeping the rest of us abreast of development projects. Here's a gif I found at the NYC Economic Development site that gives a rough shape to the proposal:

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 11:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Wow. Now that would be an incredible transformation.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 11:29 PM

Here's how it looks like now, from the air:

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 12:12 AM

Lovely

It looks even lovelier at ground level:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive