HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 3:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ I too would've cried foul had that been built in DT. But I accept and welcome it as filler for a developing, up-and-coming neighborhood. It helps to put things in proper perspective.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 9:14 AM
BANNED

That's the thing. Some people act like every project is being criticized on these forums and then act butthurt about it. K2LA is uninspired but so what? Who cares? It doesn't need to be. It's infill in a neighborhood that's loaded with dense infill. It fits and it works. It's par the course of a wonderful hood. Ktown is an outer hood, but when you travel into DTLA you want to feel like you've "arrived" somewhere special. That's why DTLA is held to a higher standard. Certain forumers who cry over criticism need to visit the LA metro forum where projects like this are accepted (unless they are really atrocious like the wilshire/la brea monstrosity)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 2:15 PM

Happy New Year! Just a quick update of the Vermont Towers.

Wilshire by Kelifornia, on Flickr

Vermont Towers by Kelifornia, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 9:34 PM

/\ /\ The glass may not completely hide the podium but I must say it does wonders for the buildings. Whether it's from a distance or even at street-level, the glass makes a very disjointed design look much more cohesive. Despite the fact that we all yacked when we first saw the renderings with the podiums, these dudes may actually surprise us after all when it's fully built.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
/\ /\ The glass may not completely hide the podium but I must say it does wonders for the buildings. Whether it's from a distance or even at street-level, the glass makes a very disjointed design look much more cohesive. Despite the fact that we all yacked when we first saw the renderings with the podiums, these dudes may actually surprise us after all when it's fully built.
The glass is doing wonders, but I just discovered this image which suggests they're not totally covering the podium (as they should). Though if they paint the structure white like it is in that image it might look 1/2 OK.

From http://thevermont.net/#the-plaza

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 10:15 PM

arent the century plaza towers supposed to break ground soon?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
The glass is doing wonders, but I just discovered this image which suggests they're not totally covering the podium (as they should). Though if they paint the structure white like it is in that image it might look 1/2 OK.

Looks like I may have spoken too soon.

I hope that isn't the case because the glass helps hide the ugly soooo much. Besides, how long does the color white last in a parking garage??

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:39 PM

Another angle of the proposed redevelopment of West Hollywood's Sheriff's Station/Bus Depot.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post

I'm waiting for that exploding-lightning-eyeball thing to go into the center!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
I'm waiting for that exploding-lightning-eyeball thing to go into the center!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Another angle of the proposed redevelopment of West Hollywood's Sheriff's Station/Bus Depot.
This is just atrociously awful. Circulation seems overwrought and massing is not right with the PDC.
"highrises are tall and shiny and expensive and city-like!!! I'm eternally happy our 4 sq miles of shiny highrises is finally getting more shiny neighbors!! If we can't actually be a real city, at least we can look like one in the postcards!!! LAMG, citywatch, bjornson, if you're listening, post more pictures and comments!" - edluva

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson View Post
This is just atrociously awful. Circulation seems overwrought and massing is not right with the PDC.
I like it okay, PDC isn't much to work with. Doesn't make a lot of sense for a design center in one of Southern California's most urban-design-focused cities to be such a pedestrian hostile campus. As long as those buildings along Santa Monica Boulevard has some sort of commercial street interaction I think it is not terrible. A huge improvement over the current situation, that is for sure.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:30 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson View Post
Yeah, it's wonky, but its super early too, so I have hope the issues will be worked out.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:23 PM

West Hollywood is going to really need start needing the metro.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoronel View Post
West Hollywood is going to really need start needing the metro.
I agree. Pink Line?!?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesDreamin View Post
I agree. Pink Line?!?
Pink line would be awesome...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:37 PM

Pink Line didn't make operational sense. Metro looked into it. The operations would be 3 rail lines sharing a single track from Union Station to Wilshire/Vermont and then 1 line would continue with the Red Line and re-join the Purple Line in Beverly Hills. Nice in theory, but not practical for operations. Imagine having to wait at Pershing Square for every 3rd train to take to your destination in North Hollywood if you ran 3 lines on a single track.

Now, the Crenshaw Northen extension to Hollywood via La Cienega/West Hollywood would do wonders..........a connection from Hollywood to the South Bay via WeHo, Sunset Strip, Beverly Center, Wilshire, Mid-Cities, Crenshaw, etc.....

That is more exciting and practical.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim View Post
Pink Line didn't make operational sense. Metro looked into it. The operations would be 3 rail lines sharing a single track from Union Station to Wilshire/Vermont and then 1 line would continue with the Red Line and re-join the Purple Line in Beverly Hills. Nice in theory, but not practical for operations. Imagine having to wait at Pershing Square for every 3rd train to take to your destination in North Hollywood if you ran 3 lines on a single track.

Now, the Crenshaw Northen extension to Hollywood via La Cienega/West Hollywood would do wonders..........a connection from Hollywood to the South Bay via WeHo, Sunset Strip, Beverly Center, Wilshire, Mid-Cities, Crenshaw, etc.....

That is more exciting and practical.
Oh wow, I didn't know metro had already looked heavily into the proposed pink line to already cancel it, where did you get that info so I can see? I know there were a couple of different routes that were considered, the one that made the most sense to me was it being its own route going down santa monica blvd. Wwhen it reached the purple line at Wilshire going towards santa monica, it would end, and going the other route towards downtown it would go down santa monica and than route down sunset blvd until it ended at union stations doorstep...... that route would have connected a lot of neighborhoods that are not yet connected.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 12:29 AM

I feel like an eventual Pink Line can serve so many different glaring LA transit needs.

Rather than running the Pink Line along Vermont and into downtown along with Red/Purple, why not make it run the length of Santa Monica from Beverly Hills --> West Hollywood --> Hollywood --> crossing Red Line and onto Sunset where it can run past Dodger Stadium (and hopefully a future NFL stadium) --> underneath Chinatown to link up with Union Station --> make a stop at Piggyback Yards in anticipation of a new massive riverside park that become's the regions new real central park --> LAC+USC --> Cal State LA.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 12:33 AM

The way you satisfy LA County voters in addition to interested parties who want to distribute rail throughout the county rather than concentrated within the central core is by selling them on rail to Dodger Stadium, not on rail through West Hollywood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations