HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:46 PM
All man. Half nuts.

this thread reminds me of a George Carlin quote:

"Temperature at the airport is 88 degrees, which is stupid, man, cause I don’t know anybody who lives at the airport."
--George Carlin as Al Sleet, the Hippy Dippy Weatherman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1uaw3WIOlc

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:47 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Coming into Midway is pretty crazy, feels like you could almost jump out of the plane and onto someone's roof.

Living in one of those houses must suck though.
From the houses on Central Avenue you can see planes without even having to look up.

From the alley behind some houses that front S Keating Avenue you can see the control tower.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:56 PM

Love Field is pretty much surrounded by residential and commercial. Planes landing from the east have to fly close to high rise neighborhoods of Midtown/Uptown and Turtle Creek. Not as dramatic as San Diego, but it is a busy pre WW2 airport just a few miles from downtown. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8394...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:38 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i lived in airport flightpath neighborhoods for much of my childhood. the drone of a airliner was background noise like birdsong.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i lived in airport flightpath neighborhoods for much of my childhood. the drone of a airliner was background noise like birdsong.
we currently live DIRECTLY under the flight path for runway 28C at ORD.

we're 10 miles from the end of the runway, so the planes are still a couple of thousand feet up in the air and not excessively noisy, but they're always there, zooming by every minute or so, all day and night.

the brown line trains that rumble down the alley in back are considerably louder.

but background noise all the same, like you said.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:55 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Love Field is pretty much surrounded by residential and commercial. Planes landing from the east have to fly close to high rise neighborhoods of Midtown/Uptown and Turtle Creek. Not as dramatic as San Diego, but it is a busy pre WW2 airport just a few miles from downtown. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8394...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
The view from a house at the corner of Denton and Langdon.

I'm not a machine guy. I don't care about vehicles. Even so, it would have been the shit to be able to look out the window, when I was a kid, and see planes trundling around across the road.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
cool! planes, trains, and automobiles.

i wonder what the story is with that old 727.

they ain't flying anymore (to my knowledge).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Stapleton looks like sweet, sweet New Urbanist yumminess.

I've lived there for almost 16 years now, and it's getting close to built out.

My house is under the DIA flight path and I definitely hear the planes flying over about one per minute when westbound flights take off to the south. I love watching them fly over!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:26 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC
I live in the Stapleton neighborhood of Denver, that used to be an airport. Does that count?
I like that Stapleton kept and re-purposed their air traffic control tower. Very cool.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:46 PM
More transit please

Surprisingly, the neighborhood right under the takeoff runway at Montreal-Trudeau is quite nice.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4556...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Boston Logan and San Jose would be up for the same award. They might not win, but they'd be nominated.
At distances like this the "winner" can vary wildly depending on how you measure.

Boston Logan's terminals are the closest at 1 3/4 miles, but the harbor is between them and downtown Boston, and the runways are on the other side of that.

Aircraft landing in San Jose fly closest to their downtown, directly over it in fact (which puts a 300' height limit on their skyline). But there's a riverfront park and a good deal of suburban housing between downtown and the runway ends 1 1/2 miles away.

The end of San Diego's runway is the closest to downtown, at less than a mile, and there's no clear dividing boundary between downtown and the airport. But the landing aircraft overfly the nearby Banker's Hill, a suburban/urban mix separated from the airport by the 5 freeway (which downtown is not).

From a transportation planner's perspective Boston Logan is the closest because a person going from downtown to the aircraft gate travels the shortest distance. From an aviation engineer's perspective, San Jose is the closest because aircraft fly nearest to its downtown, meaning its skyline is the most heavily effected and its regulatory requirements are the most stringent. From a land use planner's perspective San Diego is the closest, because the area the city treats as its downtown extends right up to the foot of the runway.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:35 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Coming into Midway is pretty crazy, feels like you could almost jump out of the plane and onto someone's roof.

Living in one of those houses must suck though.
You know what's a harrowing experience? Landing at Midway at night on July 4.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:34 AM
Rational urbanist

Vancouver International Airport gets a whole island to itself in Richmond (Sea Island), just south of Vancouver. Land use on the island is typical airport stuff, mostly warehouses and car rentals. Most of the airport hotels are actually off that island on the main island of Richmond.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.21642.../data=!3m1!1e3

However, there is a small residential neighbourhood right on Sea Island, named Burkeville. Per wikipedia, it was built by the federal government in the 40s, which initially housed many workers at the nearby Boeing plant before later having many of the houses sold to returning veterans.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.18927.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:23 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Surfridge, a once thriving idyllic beachfront community:

https://goo.gl/maps/wExYZ79W3NBDdbdY7
https://goo.gl/maps/43C3zuGtxmbq9HdQA

Wish they would do something with that land, even if people can't live there anymore. The whole area is just fenced off and left to rot.
yeah, Playa Del Ray which is fantastic is right next door (to the right). I'm guessing noise standards among other things necessitated a buyout of some kind. I hate when they leave the streets intact (to slowly degrade) when they do this around airports, though. I'm actually surprised there wasn't some kind of ecological restoration in the case of LAX.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Playa Del Ray (LAX) is probably my favorite "airport neighborhood" by far, if we are counting any neighborhood/municipality that touches an airport. Its usually the first place I go when I land in LA.

just close your face when delta flights go over.
Just curious, why do you like Playa Del Rey? It seems quite sterile and boring to me. The Ballona wetlands are pretty and interesting, but PDR itself always seemed pretty blah to me. Neighboring El Segundo is a bit more interesting, and they actually have a somewhat cute little downtown. Of course, the South Bay beach cities (Manhattan and Hermosa, especially) are the stars in that area near LAX, but I guess they're a bit too far to be considered 'airport neighborhoods'.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Playa Del Ray (LAX) is probably my favorite "airport neighborhood" by far, if we are counting any neighborhood/municipality that touches an airport. Its usually the first place I go when I land in LA.

just close your face when delta flights go over.
I love Playa del Rey. My (former) dentist lived there (she passed away many years ago now).

I assume Señor G's on Culver still exists? I haven't been there in years. My partner and I would hike the wetlands and then eat at Señor G's, and just sit back and look at the wetlands...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Just curious, why do you like Playa Del Rey? It seems quite sterile and boring to me. The Ballona wetlands are pretty and interesting, but PDR itself always seemed pretty blah to me.
Sometimes you just have to actually hang out at a place, and be with the locals, to appreciate why some people might like it.

A lot of longtime residents in Playa Del Rey, and non-touristy. And believe it or not, very low-key, laid-back, unpretentious people. I can't speak for Centropolis, but maybe that's why I like it. To me, it's an example of the *real* LA.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:04 AM

Playa del Rey is great. It has a strong sense of place, like a lot of small neighborhoods tucked into unusual little corners of the city. That's one thing I love about LA, the neighborhoods have a very strong sense of place due to local geographic features. Fun fact: that area used to be the mouth of the LA river in the early Spanish colonial days.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:15 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Without having been there, I can still see the appeal: https://goo.gl/maps/rxEVXCVkVcLAC4Wc8

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:16 PM

Landing at Midway is insane. Driving in your car right next to it when a plane is taking off (and you don't realize whats going on) is also insane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions