HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 4:11 AM
Fourth and Main

Link Apartments Downtown:
With Don closing on the old Security Life & Trust Headquarters, we should see more details for this project, soon.

Credit: Grubb Properties

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 4:21 AM
Fourth and Main

Wherehouse Art Hotel Expansion: Built!
The expansion of this art and music themed boutique hotel is now completed. I will miss not following this project. It is a very awesome hotel. Thank you to Haydee for allowing us to follow the progress and let us know if you expand again. I would love to share it with the forum!

Stay an entire month, so you can spend a night in these rooms and all of the rooms in the hotel!

This hotel room is called "The Green Room"

Credit: _wherehouse_art_hotel_

Not sure what this new room is called?

The "Elevator Shaft"

I don't know the name for this hotel room?

The first guest to stay in the hotel expansion was David J. Haskins from the 1980s rock bands Bauhaus and Love & Rockets:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:47 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

This was outside a downtown store:

Credit: vanessawrites

Tomorrow is the first day of Summer! Have fun at the pool and enjoy the construction! This song is actually one year older than me!
Video Link

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company:
The original artwork in the space was destroyed. Thankfully, the brewery brought in a great artist to create replacement art, themed around the brewery. Hieronymus is among Winston-Salem's best artists. His work can be seen in both Winston-Salem and Los Angeles.

Credit: hieronymu.s

Credit: rosiehairninja

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

Credit: winstonwatchman

BH Media Printing Plant Expansion:
Davie Construction Company will complete work on this project in early-September 2017.

607 North Trade Building: Built!
This adaptive-reuse project is now completed! It converted a vacant building into two restaurants (Sweet Potatoes Restaurant and Miss Ora's Kitchen).

Credit: Sweet Potatoes Restaurant

Credit: Sweet Potatoes Restaurant

Credit: foodie.traveler.gal

I couldn't find any new photographs of Miss Ora's Kitchen, which will open at a later date. I think it will open in a week or two?

Miss Ora's Kitchen in May 2017:

Credit: Miss Ora's Kitchen

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
Another construction project that is difficult to find photographs or updates of. The windows are covered, likely removed for restoration? Completion is set for June 2018.

Due to Winston-Salem's rough terrain, there are entrances on two of the three floors. Notice the bridge. This is a side entrance from the sidewalk to the third floor:

Historic photograph of Union Station:

Credit: The Possum @ WSTB Forum

Convention Center Renovation:
The completion date was moved to June 1, when they missed an earlier completion date in May, and now I don't think they can complete this before July 1? What is the latest completion date? I can tell they are frustrated at the progress, because progress photographs and updates from official sources have disappeared. This has now become a project that is difficult to find photographs of.

Credit: Slow TV

Credit: centrum001

ABC of NC:
ABC of NC, the Triad's only comprehensive provider of autism services, will expand their building. Construction is set to begin on June 28. ABC of NC serves an 18 county area in the Triad and Northwest North Carolina. This project will result in 50 new jobs.

Credit: Steele Group Architects

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:

"Ripping up the concrete"

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Workers will begin installing the 190 foot tall (58 metre tall) crane on July 6. The crane will remain on the site for three months. Even more amazing than the crane is the aerial in this week's update! Wow! Look at the size of this apartment building's construction site! The 6-storey building with retail will use the entire site!

Aerial view of the massive apartment building construction site:

Credit: a.fitz.marshall

Kimpton Cardinal Hotel lights are in a rainbow of color for Pride Month :

Credit: lchapman49

Credit: rad_sen

500 West Fifth Street:
Flow has completed the purchase of the building and is seeking permits to start work.

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Alma Mexicana (almamexicanaws) has signed a lease at Bailey Power Plant's Building 23-2. STITCH Design Shop will be the architect for the interior. The restaurant will have two bars - one with beer taps and another with cocktails for the night crowd. Completion and opening of the restaurant is set for January 2018. It will be located at the main entrance to the building, at the corner of Fifth Street and Patterson Avenue. Expect to see more tenant announcements, soon.

Credit: julesblackbird

June 12, around sunrise:

Credit: twincityroses

Credit: algenoncash

Credit: _froonthego

The back side:

Credit: benssink91

A Thursday concert is a great opportunity for a construction update:

Credit: jonathan.riddle

Using the bike share to visit the lunch time food trucks:

Credit: ogmikism

Early morning look at the crane and Building 23-1:

Credit: winstonunder40

New steel on the projection:

Another look at the projection with new steel:

Credit: boonedoggies

Credit: nick.dandrea.13

Have Another! Brewing Company: Built!
This project is now completed. So, have another local beer! No photographs are available of the completed project.

Quarry Park:

Credit: drockpilot

Credit: vnibvl

Hotel Indigo:
City Councilman Jeff MacIntosh said "He (Simon Burgess) explained that by using historic tax credits the start-up time has been very long but that the credits were key in making the project work. Now that demolition and Historic certification are finished Blum Construction will start renovation any day now. Look for an opening date of late spring, early summer 2018." It was also said, developer Simon Burgess loves Winston-Salem so much he will move to this city at the end of the month. Simon Burgess is from Europe and has worked on hotel & golf resort projects around the world.

"Framing demonstrations. Gotta get creative when you're working with old buildings!"

Credit: cherrypips_

Summer is here: (Site of Hotel Indigo adaptive-reuse and future new construction Hyatt Place)

Credit: amazongetsfit

A better look at the menus they found from a restaurant that closed decades ago:

Credit: benjaminplante_

A look at the roof (bottom left corner):

Credit: christinaclark2012

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

Bridge for the East-West Expressway, with color-changing (Pride Month) lights, along a completed part of the bike and walking trail:

Credit: dsgnr2obx

Off-Subject:

Pride Month :

Credit: beastiesrus

Random Photographs:

Credit: samitatcbwolfe

Credit: geebbartlett

This person loves the southern half of the skyline, but what about the northern half?

Credit: kira.be.yoga

Credit: jarodcurley

Credit: eyehavethisthingwithceilings

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:43 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Wow, this looks dated:
Video Link

I think I was six years old when that song was on the charts?

Workers are installing color-changing LEDs on the smokestacks, adding more glass panels, and beginning the metal cladding.

A view from yesterday, showing cladding and glass work:

Credit: britneyloxendine

Credit: cam.b.snyder

The crane is used for installing the LED lighting:

Credit: trethaway

Testing the color-changing LED lights: (You can also see part of the Link Apartments construction site)

Credit: smithss_27106

Credit: Dr. Eric Tomlinson

Credit: dumpstersofwinston

Credit: momanothershade

Winston Tower Amenity Space:
This is an amenity space for the 30-storey Winston Tower. STITCH Design Shop is the architect.

Credit: _nishamary

Goose & the Monkey Brew House:
Are you ready for another brewery? Goose & the Monkey Brew House will renovate a 19,400 square foot vacant industrial building for a new brewery. The adaptive-reuse project will cost $1.2 million and the brewery will open in Spring 2018.

Credit: Goose & the Monkey Brew House

Reynolds Athletic Complex:
Update from the general contractor: "Major renovations to the pool and other areas in the back of the building will continue until spring 2018."

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

A new red covering was installed over the construction fence.

A look at the construction site at night:

Stevens Center Apartments:
According to Lindsay Bierman, in a recent interview, the Stevens Center declined rapidly over the past several years and is in desperate need of extensive renovations and technology upgrades. The terracotta is falling from the upper floors, so there is a sense of urgency to move this project forward. This is the work we are seeing, right now. This is another historic rescue project. Robert A.M. Stern Architects was hired to work on this project and plans should be completed by Fall 2017. Robert A.M. Stern and Lindsay Bierman want the Stevens Center to become a major regional cultural attraction. Cost consultants were also hired.

Credit: DWSP

This was once a rooftop garden for the luxury apartments in 1928... now it's just chiller units:

Credit: abetothek

New Winston Museum:
I want to thank Lambert Architecture for sharing an update. The architect said "Interior demolition has begun to transform the Winston-Salem Journal building into an exciting contemporary workspace! Removing 90 years of accretions to expose the original shell of the original 1927 building. Reopened roof monitor skylights will make for a cool studio space." It sounds awesome! I think this project will be completed in September or October of this year.

Credit: lambert_architecture

A look at the outside:

Credit: sterlings48

Sutton Sports Performance Center:

Elevator cores are rising:

Credit: wfudeaconclub

Salem Lake Marina:

Credit: penlandheating

Credit: penlandheating

Don't forget to take advantage of the bike share when you're at Salem Lake. They have a bike share docking station at the lake's trails and it appears as if people are taking advantage of it! It is the same bike share you see in downtown.

Credit: rgs0204

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
They added another floor.

Credit: vincerabil

An urban explorer shared the view:

Credit: instagran.drew

The crane:

Credit: paintmonsters

MedCost Enters Virginia:
Winston-Salem based MedCost has acquired Virginia Health Network Inc., of Richmond. MedCost provides group health plan services and has a network of 40 hospitals.

First Baptist Church Restoration:
I still haven't heard if they will move forward with the demolition?

Credit: caleb_passmore

Fiddlin' Fish said "More new toys today! We can't wait to start brewing in here!"

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Credit: colorisanevent

The size of these murals:

We finally have a new completion date: July 15, with a ribbon cutting on July 28. It was originally scheduled for completion on May 4. Then completion moved to May 21 and then it moved to June 1. No one is saying why it wasn't completed on time or why it missed other completion dates. Part of the project won't be completed until possibly Fall 2017? They are saying work on the skybridge is delayed until later in the year.

New art from a Tennessee artist: "In a couple days, this scrap pile of wood will be displayed as an exhibit wall at the Benton convention center"

Credit: rusticrenovations

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: thevelvetwanderer

Credit: winston_360

They are discussing design changes:

"Majority of the asphalt has been milled and removed. Next step is to demolish the concrete base."

About 12 inches (305 millimeters) of asphalt above 4 inches (102 millimeters) of concrete:

Do you know if this (above) is the concrete installed by the Works Progress Administration, during the Great Depression? This was the busiest airport in the Carolinas until the 1970s.

"After finishing with milling of the asphalt work has started on ripping up the concrete"

Notice you can see part of the downtown skyline on the far left of the photograph above. That explains why downtown has a height limit. I wish they would relocate runways 4 and 22, to remove the height limit.

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:

These are the new bookshelves for the bookstore:

Credit: glennfulk

Passageway Park:
Osgood Landscape Architecture said "Soil amendments and final phase one effort this week at The Passageway"

Credit: osgoodla.inc

Credit: _jakelikescake

They haven't made any progress on this part of the project:

Credit: lostvestige

A look at the elevated path over Third Street, Fogle Street, and the Bath Waterway:

Credit: hartvisuals

Credit: edwinangelcruz

Remember this bridge, along the path, from last week:

Credit: rlroikola

Off-Subject:

Remember this construction project? We didn't have many photographs of it, so when I found this image, I had to post it:

Credit: cole.bradburn

Random Photographs:

I once tried to go to the top of this art museum tower, but it was locked:

Credit: milessollars

Grace Court Park in West End:

Credit: southerngalpal

Actor Billy Zabka (click here to learn more), from the 1980s Karate Kid movies, on Liberty Street in downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: chriscalifornication

Credit: camelcitynightlife

Credit: kelseymolseed

This was a furniture hardware company in downtown, when it was built in 1929:

Credit: oneherocreative

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 5:40 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Plaza Building & Galleria:
Workers are preparing to replace the massive skylight over the Galleria. The Fortune 500 headquarters renovation incorporates ENERGY STAR appliances and lighting to dramatically reduce energy use. 90% of items removed from the building were recycled or donated to charities. This project won a 2017 International Interior Design Association Carolinas Design Works Award, for design excellence and new, innovative solutions for interior spaces. Yes, I was able to find a rare interior update!

"The Loft at HQ is designed for creativity, collaboration, and team building"

Credit: RAI

Credit: RAI

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:
It appears as if Canteen 411 Market & Bistro has officially signed their lease on Restaurant Row and are working on their space.

"18 foot windows and large outdoor bar going up in what will be the new gourmet market and bistro!"

Credit: linvilleteam

Quarry Park:
Workers are still completing the greenways and restrooms. This park won't open today. I think the opening is planned for three or four weeks from now?

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Credit: WFMY 2

Link Apartments Downtown:
Documents are filed showing the property separation that will allow for this (photograph below) building's demolition and the sale of the site to Grubb Properties for a new apartment building with retail.

1951 Security Life & Trust Building to be demolished, soon:

Credit: j_running_wild

Creative Corridors - East Winston:
A look at plans to improve Martin Luther King Jr., Drive in the East Winston neighborhood.

Credit: Creative Corridors

Credit: Creative Corridors

A new retail space tenant has signed a lease. CycleBar will open in the middle retail space. Construction hasn't started on the retail spaces, at this time.

This is an early morning photograph, as the construction workers show up for work:

Credit: tbondjack

Artists are now installing paintings and sculptures in the convention center. Around five of the artists are local. The other artists are from out-of-state.

Wine soaked oak barrel stave planks (Winston-Salem is the Southeast's Wine Country):

Credit: vintagewoodfloors

Before recycled wood planks are installed:

Credit: ginaelizabethfranco

After recycled wood planks are installed:

Credit: m00npulp

500 West Fifth Street:
This project is now under construction and will appear on our construction list. Frank L. Blum Construction is the general contractor. Flow's headquarters, in the skyscraper, will be completed in October. Other leases, for the remaining space, are being signed and you should see workers around the building tomorrow. Everything is ahead of schedule. There are tenants throughout the southeast interested in leasing in this tower, according to Flow, and he is working to bring two individuals with "significant experience" in starting new companies to the 21-storey skyscraper. You may remember, this building will have two floors for startups. That space is free for startups in their first year and startups will pay cheap rent after their first year.

Credit: jsilkstonephotos

Hotel Indigo:
Workers are starting exterior renovations. The fire escape was removed over the weekend, as part of these renovations. They also removed the rusty window air conditioners along the fire escape.

Credit: jimmytheink

Credit: bestofwinstonsalem

Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) will create a nearly 10,000 square foot meeting/conference space, in Bailey Power Plant's Building 23-2, you can rent for your events and meetings. The Turbine Hall (Innovation Hall) will open in October 2017. They are currently renting the space for Fall 2017, through their Venture Cafe, if you're interested.

Credit: keeksyogajourney

Credit: keeksyogajourney

Workers installing HVAC equipment on the roof:

Credit: daddysmoney404

Back side of the building:

Credit: tim_hutch

The crane will arrive on site this week!

Credit: dancefitgrl

"New surface laying to commence shortly"

1794 Boy's School Restoration:
They only have photographs of the Piazza and nothing on the restoration project. If you have interior photographs of the restoration part of this project, please share them.

Credit: OldSalemInc

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:
This project is looking great! Completion and a grand opening are set for July 8 at 10 a.m.,. The first author to make an appearance will be Daniel Wallace on July 10.

"Shelving installation!"

Credit: bookmarksnc

1,500 pounds of new books:

Central on 5th:
The sculpture was installed and this building will officially open next month!

Russell Towey said "Working on a massive library in NC for a week installing glass and handrails."

Credit: russelltowey

Credit: photo_detour

Credit: oneherocreative

First Baptist Church Restoration:
This project will move forward and includes the demolition of the 1954 and 1961 expansions on the church's north side. This will restore the building to its original 1925 size. With a shrinking congregation, this will allow the church to restore their building and continue to operate there. Changes include exterior and interior restoration of the Sanctuary building and constructing a 4,200 square-foot multi-functional space and an outdoor chapel at the rear of the Sanctuary building.

I will miss the 1954 and 1961 expansions. They really filled-out the block in an urban way and looked similar to the original building. The proposed replacement structure is smaller and doesn't look like the original 1925 building, but I understand the church's reasons for doing this and thank them for continuing restoration efforts.

And we finally have a rendering:

Credit: FBC

Credit: rhayesartwork

Passageway Park:
Phase I is completed. The landscape architect said "Epic site visit today (Friday 6/30) at The Passageway as we wrapped up phase 1... and enjoyed the design|build aspect of the effort today."

The city said, in their latest newsletter, completion is set for Summer 2017. Extremely vague and this is already Summer. As we've seen in previous updates, they still have a lot of work to complete. This is already July. I'm guessing it will be completed in early-September?

Restored light tower, with color-changing LEDs, from the former coal & gas yard:

Credit: ajohnsoniv

Using the new bike share on the high line:

Credit: jeau__

New sign for Wake Forest University School of Medicine, in the IQ District, above downtown's new high line:

Credit: innovationquarter

The office and education buildings, along this walking and bike path, all have bike showers and lockers for bicycle commuting. If you like to commute by bicycle, be sure to take advantage of this.

This is a look at the showers for bicycle commuters at the new downtown engineering school:

Credit: acjonesy2016

Off-Subject:
Over the past week, Winston-Salem was scouted for a super hero movie; was selected to be among several of the world's great creative cities on a TV show this fall; and South Main Street in downtown's Old Salem District was selected by a magazine as the nation's 4th best Main Street. Some people here may have a good laugh at this: The week before, a former magazine executive and NYC architect compared the city to Brooklyn and Austin. I present Winston-Salem here as its own unique and fun place. I think this city is being discovered nationally, which should be good for new development.

Random Photographs:

Protest at Stratford Park / Five Points:

Credit: marshallforhouse

Who are you going to call?

Credit: deadlylofi

Credit: sharigurlpack

Credit: andreaderflinger

Credit: e.t.wheeling

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 1:57 PM
Fourth and Main

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore: Built!
This adaptive-reuse project is now completed. Bookmarks opens debt free, with their building paid for and a large reserve fund. The new "independent" downtown bookstore will have story times for kids, with Karl the Kraken. It also has offices, an event space, and a cafe (with beer from neighboring Foothills Brewing) will open inside the bookstore in October. The event space will have frequent book signings with your favorite authors and other fun events. Be sure to visit Wednesday to meet John Grisham, who will sign books at the new downtown bookstore (ticketed event). Charlie Lovett, the chairman of Bookmarks, is a New York Times bestselling author and wanted to build this bookstore to attract more authors to Winston-Salem throughout the year. Bookmarks is designed as a comfortable gathering space to connect readers with authors and books. Architect Glenn Fulk did a great job with this project. I would like to see him work on more projects in downtown. Though the bookstore has a Fourth Street address, it is located at the end of a breezeway, in an alley. It really gives this bookstore a fun location and appearance. It's a quiet and peaceful bookstore hidden within a bustling downtown. There are three or four independent bookstores in downtown Winston-Salem. If you love books, like I do (yes, I'm a ), please visit all of them!

Don't forget to attend Bookmarks' Festival of Books & Authors in downtown Winston-Salem, on September 7-10. It is North Carolina's largest book festival. Be sure to look for other events, each month, from Bookmarks. They hold events in downtown throughout the year and bring authors to the local schools. This is a great organization and now they have a great bookstore!

Painting the sign:

Assembling shelves and stocking them with books:

"Art installation in the future breezeway"

Credit: Shelf Awareness

The night before the grand opening:

"Got the rare books case set up for Bookmarks new location!"

Credit: Charlie Lovett

Opening day: (It's in an alley, at the end of a breezeway, beside a brewery!)

This is the mascot for the local baseball team:

Credit: preciouspoisonivy

Credit: preciouspoisonivy

Credit: vanessawrites

Credit: dukersm

Credit: tzanishbelcher

And we close with a before and after...

Before - October 2016:

Credit: kimseufer

After - July 8, 2017: #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: kimseufer

This was a fun project to follow. Thank you to everyone who provided photographs & updates! Without your photographs and updates, this thread wouldn't exist. What are you waiting for... Visit downtown's newest bookstore!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:51 AM
Fourth and Main

This week's update includes information on a possible proposal to build what could become the city's new tallest high-rise!

Projects & Construction:

Instead of asking Lauren what song I should post, I decided to select a song I like for this week's update:
Video Link

New Tallest:
The tech boom continues... Are you ready for a tech company to build the city's tallest high-rise? CamCityFan at WSTB Forum, a good source of information on new projects, is reporting "a "notable company in the West" is planning to open a new HQ in downtown" "and they will build a 35+ story building." It's said to be a tech company, but this skyscraper won't be constructed in the IQ District. The location was said to be "just off of Fourth Street." 340 North Spruce Street (corner of Spruce Street and Holly Avenue)? Do you remember the high-rise sites report the city made, in February of this year? (Click Here to see it) I said, for the city to make that, someone had to ask for it. I think it was made at this project's request? We will see what happens. The current tallest is 34-storeys / 460 feet (140.25 metres) tall. 35+ storeys sounds like someone trying to build a new tallest for Winston-Salem. An office building of this height would reach around 550+ feet (around 168 metres) tall. This is a very large headquarters relocating to downtown Winston-Salem. Do you think this could be a Fortune 500 headquarters? If it happens, it would be the biggest development in Winston-Salem's tech boom. Very exciting!

New windows:

The view from the new windows will be a new apartment and retail building, with underground parking, breaking ground in a few months (Click Here to see it).

She said they are cutting three 18 foot (5.5 metres) wide windows into the side of the building:

This week, they constructed the steel frame for the corner restaurant and worked on the glass and cladding.

Credit: sky_high_optics

Credit: wowmya

Working on the color-changing LED lights:

Credit: bill_odoowod

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Roto Studio was selected to design and build the exhibits in the new downtown science museum.

Visit their website: https://roto.com

Video Link

West End Station:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time!

A very large construction site:

Credit: Eric Proctor

It may have a nice skyline view?

Credit: Eric Proctor

Credit: m00npulp

Credit: DTWS

Joymongers Brewing:
Are you ready for another brewery? This small batch brewery is already in permitting for the former CrossFit Downtown space. It is an adaptive-reuse of an existing historic building. "we are committed to innovative, local, small batch brewing. At every opportunity, we combine the finest seasonal ingredients from across the U.S. with the best grains and hops from around the world.

Historic building Joymongers Brewing will renovate for a brewery: #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: GSV

Travis Tolson, head brewer at Wicked Weed Brewing, originally wanted to open a brewery in this building. I think he was also looking at the Cycling Center on Main Street, too. He wants to open his own brewery in downtown Winston-Salem. I don't know what sites he is currently looking at? It would be great if he selected Bailey Power Plant. Yes, there could be another brewery announcement, soon!

Hotel Indigo:

Workers completed demolition of the fire escape:

Credit: troutbike

500 West Fifth Street:
They have demolition permits. This will likely be a project that is best viewed from interior photographs. If you have a chance to photograph the interior, please do so and share with us.

Credit: shanebritney

Wherehouse Art Hotel Expansion: Built!
Yes, this project was completed a few weeks ago, but I wanted to share this! "Building a chandelier (not pictured) to cascade through the center of the future off gallery space. It used to be the smoker in this 1913 meat packing factory we like to call home."

This is where the hotel will construct a new chandelier to replace these lights:

Central on 5th:
Completion is set for August 7... Are you ready!

Credit: Winston-Salem Foundation

Credit: nan_larosee

These "Central on 5th" images, below, are two or three weeks old, but are new to us...

Reading Garden / Outdoor Spaces:

Credit: blib660

I love the use of bright and warm colors! They should look great through the glass at night.

Wheelchair Ramp:

Library's Cafe:

Forsyth Reading Room - With Fireplace!

Third Floor:

Information Desk:

Children's Study Rooms:

Teen Work Area:

HVAC Equipment:

Atrium looking at Teen Central:

Atrium View of the Administrative Offices:

We haven't seen this view before:

New artwork in the convention center:

Credit: nico_malo1

Credit: grantminnix

"filling an old monitoring well where underground fuel tanks were kept for apron aircraft refueling"

I like this sign, from Hammerhead Built:

Salem Lake Marina:

Credit: chelseamaranda

They are still grading, so no crane at the site. We should see it at any time, so continue to watch the site.

Credit: lchapman49

Quarry Park:

Credit: myfox8

Credit: Unknown

Credit: vigemusque

Credit: vigemusque

These lights are animated. This was from a video of the animation:

Credit: the_urban_eclectic

Credit: the_urban_eclectic

Off-Subject:
Wake Forest University School of Medicine added another sign to their building, so everyone in downtown will see the Wake Forest University name. I wish more tenants in downtown's IQ District would add their names to the top of their buildings.

Credit: sara.hupp1

Credit: nicalbright

Random Photographs:

Credit: emmadarkroast

Credit: ontosomewherenew

Credit: winstonwandering

Yes, it was built in 1788:

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

This is a great song for this thread and the forum:
Video Link

Central on 5th:
Since it's nearing completion, in 20 days, I'll make it this week's lead project.

How do those colorful walls look from the outside...

Credit: yaboiluck

A few weeks old:

Credit: The Russell Agency

London's CML Microsystems Plc will lease space in Bailey Power Plant for their United States headquarters. They are a wireless semiconductor company. CML Microsystems will move into the power plant's Building 23-2 in January 2018. Mark Gunyuzlu, CML Microsystems president, said "We hope to leverage our technical depth and expertise to generate opportunities for collaboration with other companies there and so grow our presence." With this announcement, the power plant is now 77% leased. If you're interested in leasing here, they still have some space available. Look for more office and retail/restaurant tenant announcements, soon. Dr. Tomlinson said those announcements will be made this month!

Updated Renderings: (The corner tower will remain as an open framework)

Credit: Wexford Science + Technology

Airwheel's pop-up in Bailey Park is a nice amenity and a good place to view the construction:

Credit: airwheelcoffee

Bailey Park had a concert and poutine festival (Canadian-style french fries) on Thursday night:

Credit: nickbadgio

Credit: X1 Communications

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter construction on the left and Bailey Power Plant construction on the right:

Credit: melalenz

We often see photographs of the power plant from the park, so lets see the park view from the power plant:

Credit: holdsworthphoto

Morris Building Restaurant, Grocery Store, & Events Center:

Still, nothing happening at the Morris Building:

Bailey Power Plant Grounds:
Construction on the grounds won't be completed until Fall 2018.

Salem Lake Marina:

Credit: aisforbeautiful

A rare update on the Union Station restoration project.

Credit: fdvagnone

LJVM Renovation:
New LED lighting was installed and now they are replacing the scoreboard.

A look at the new scoreboard/videoboard:

Credit: ljvmcoliseum

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Gensler and STITCH Design Shop are still working on the design for this science museum. They plan to reuse the steel skeleton of this existing building and expand it to the south, doubling its size. This project is surrounded by other construction sites, including three hotel construction sites and a park construction site. This entire area is filled with construction and proposals. It could become one of those amazing areas no one can recognize, in about three years! Very exciting!

Credit: shandrananette

Wise Man Brewing Expansion:
Wise Man is already one of the state's most popular breweries! This will likely be the Triad's third largest brewery and one of North Carolina's top five largest breweries for 2017 and they just opened this year! This is what Wise Man Brewery said: "Add another one to the collection! Today we took delivery of a shiny new 30BBL tank from ABS Commercial. We have now doubled in size in only 6 short months!" WOW!

Credit: wisemanbeer

Wise Man Brewing is only 6 months old and they are already winning beer competitions: "We're deeply honored to add these 5 medals from the American Brewers Palate Awards to our growing collection!"
🥇GOLD: Outraged Daughters Irish Red
🥈SILVER: Body Electric New England-style Double IPA
🥉BRONZE: Mountain Calling West Coast-style IPA
🥉BRONZE: Scoop Dogg Cream Ale
🥉BRONZE: Rebel Funk Brett Saison

Credit: wisemanbeer

Do I see a fireplace in this photograph?

HealthSouth Winston-Salem Hospital:
HealthSouth selected Doster Construction as the General Contractor for this project. They also selected Frederick & Associates as the architect.

BH Media Printing Plant Expansion:
Is this our first photograph update on this project? This photograph is a few weeks old, but it's new to our thread.

Credit: Thomas H. Hughes Architecture

Goler-Depot Super Energy Efficient Solar Condos:
Remember this project, planned for downtown's Goler-Depot District? We now have an updated rendering. It looks more like a finished design in this rendering. If built, it would be a nice addition to downtown. Did you know these downtown condominiums will produce more energy than they use?

Credit: Unknown?

Credit: that_one_kaitlin_

Credit: X1 Communications

500 West Fifth Street:

Credit: boguewaves

Credit: connor_ferrell

Credit: nc_beer_pride

West End Station:

The photographer commented on the spelling mistake:

Credit: roedigerhouse

North Carolina's Tree City USA of the Year:
Winston-Salem is North Carolina's Tree City USA of the Year for 2017. The award recognizes the city's ongoing program to promote and protect its urban forest, and in particular for its efforts to educate homeowners and utilities about proper tree maintenance. Entries were judged for impact, quality, innovation, and the degree to which the work serves as a worthy example for others to follow, said Nancy Stairs, the urban forestry program coordinator for the N.C. Forest Service. "We are glad to recognize Winston-Salem, as the city has maintained a stable and steady urban forestry program over the years, which is pretty important in itself," Stairs said. Keith Finch, the city’s director of vegetation management, said the award affirms the city's efforts to promote and protect trees. Winston-Salem has been a Tree City USA community for 17 consecutive years and received its sixth Growth Award from Tree City USA in 2016. The Growth Award encourages communities to participate in activities that recognize environmental improvement, encourage higher levels of tree care, and strengthen community involvement.

They finish one floor a month. It may top-out in mid-September, at this pace?

Credit: triadrepro

This is an old photograph from six weeks ago:

Credit: zthobbs

Urban Bee Conservation - Yes, this group is beekeeping on rooftops in downtown: Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy

Credit: beeourfuture

A construction worker's view from the top: (I think they are now 7 floors above the street, below?)

Credit: pierrehudson7945

Work begins on the second structure, along Third Street, next to Kaleideum Science Museum:

Hotel Indigo:
Winston-Salem architect Marc Bryson died on July 7. He worked for local architecture firm archSTUDIO7. archSTUDIO7 is working on the Hotel Indigo adaptive-reuse project in downtown Winston-Salem. Yes, he did work on this project. He is survived by his husband, Phillip Kearns. Bryson worked on a few projects we have followed on this thread. This project is across the square from his office.

Credit: cityofwinstonsalem

Hotel Indigo and The O'Hanlon adaptive-reuse projects are in this photograph:

Credit: bvrtholomew

Workers demolished the 1953 addition to the penthouse:

Credit: kkcharley

Hotel Indigo (Pepper Building) construction site and the Hyatt Place (fenced-in area) construction site:

Credit: amberraewoodall

The completion date has moved, again. Completion is now scheduled for July 21. You may have noticed plywood in parts of the sawtooth windows. The glass doesn't fit and they are working to resolve this issue.

Replacing plywood with glass on the sawtooth windows:

Credit: twincityhive

Quarry Park:

Gabion walls on the restroom:

TV news interview: (Winston-Salem has beautiful terrain)

This was labeled "Change Order"

I found a few construction photographs, from the past few weeks, at Twin City Lofts. An upscale restaurant is in the process of leasing the corner retail space. They could have all three retail spaces leased in the next week or two? Buyers are currently closing on the condominiums. The first two closings were late last week. If you would like to buy one of these condominiums, please call (336) 779-9602 for availability. I don't know how many are still on the market? I would suggest calling right now, if you're interested in buying. These are very reasonably priced and in an amazing location.

Entrance from the underground parking:

Credit: Twin City Lofts

Underground parking: (Each unit has a 5x10 fenced storage space, seen below)

Rooftop amenity and the view:

According to the GC, the north end of the project is 45% completed and the south end of the project is 90% completed, as of last week. The GC said this about the north end: "All but one bridge has been installed and construction on trail has begun." The GC said this about the south end: "Bridges have been set, pipe extensions yet to be complete - weather conditions this winter have extended completion date." I thought the south end was already built? People are already using it, while it's still under construction. Completion is still shown as October 2017.

The south end needs trees and landscaping, if possible with the light rail (LRT) right-of-way (ROW) agreement:

Passageway Park:

"Onward to planting, lighting, site furniture and signage!"

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: maxzampiericine

Credit: kateruthmurray

Credit: hamburgerville

Credit: mio.caro.mondo

Credit: brockswin

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

We have several new projects to follow in this week's update! Two are restorations of buildings that are over 200 years old!

Is Winston-Salem on your mind? Of course it is! You're here!
Video Link

Prism Tower:
Our lead project for the week! I found an updated rendering for this week's update. Architect Heather Woofter had this to say: "An observation tower and multimedia performance venue for Winston-Salem, NC." The building is 350 feet (106.7 metres) tall.

The background is Winston Square Park & The Milton Rhodes Center for the Arts:

Credit: Heather Woofter / WU

Central on 5th:
It appears as if they may push-back the opening date until late next month or maybe in September? The county library had this to say, over the weekend: "While it looks finished from the outside, it's critical that the project is completed the right way. We expect to have a firm opening date by mid-August." They aren't saying it will open in mid-August. They are saying they may announce a new opening date in three weeks?

Credit: kilo.delta.romeo

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Credit: geebbartlett

500 West Fifth Street:
It appears as if they are currently working on the top three floors?

"Big day today at the brewery! Our first batch is in the fermenter and in the books. Coming soon to a glass near you!"

"Big glassware delivery today! We're eager to fill these glasses with beer!"

"Mashing in batch number 1! It's been a long road, but we're finally brewing!"

North Carolina History Teachers Training Center:
This project is now under construction. The State of North Carolina is the developer. McNair Construction Company is the General Contractor. This is an adaptive reuse project, converting an old industrial building into a summer training center for history teachers. You know your city is filled with old buildings when the state opens something like this in your city. This is where history teachers from all 100 North Carolina counties will spend their summers, learning about the state's history and best practices. Winston-Salem is the oldest of the state's big five cities and is known nationally for it's National Landmark structures and neighborhoods with Colonial and early-American architecture.

Credit: GSV

Construction on the retail spaces will be completed in December.

Credit: twincitylofts

The triangular park in the background will likely see more use when the 344 apartments and two retail spaces are completed:

Credit: chynagirl_is_here

Credit: davidmonjo

Old Vineyard Expansion: Built!
This 60 inpatient bed expansion is now completed. They have recently added around 70 new healthcare jobs.

I can see where they cut into the walls and ceiling, likely for plumbing, HVAC, and wiring replacement and design?

Credit: AlgenonCash

1815 John Blum House Restoration:
We will follow the progress of this project, if I can find photographs. This is an interesting restoration, since you can actually visit the house and learn how an historic home is restored. You will have to buy a ticket to go inside and learn about the restoration, but it is worth it!

Grading:

LJVM Renovation:
Workers dismantled the old scoreboard.

Novant Clemmons Medical Center: Built!
This project is now completed! They will have a grand opening next week, on August 2.

Credit: NovantHealth

Quarry Park:
We have photographs from three different cyclists in this week's update! I'm guessing this will be a popular park to ride your bike to, in the cycling community? It's still not officially open and is under construction.

An interesting piece of art in the park:

Credit: wanderlustwalt

Credit: wanderlustwalt

A visit from another cyclist:

Credit: dumptruckjunior

A third cyclist visits the park and yes, it's still under construction:

Credit: austin.joffe.photo

Ambulatory Surgical Center:
A new building is about to start construction on Hawthorne Hill. They have completed demolition and are ready clear the site and begin construction. The $40+ million project will have around 75,000 square feet of space, a skybridge to the other skyscrapers across the street, 8 operating rooms, and the ability to add more floors to the roof, in the future. They are saying this is only a small part of a larger project, so this could be a larger building than what I've just described? My description is from a state application, seeking approval. They have worked on approvals, land acquisition, and design for this project for the past seven years. It will be great to see it under construction. If I can find good photographs of this project, we will follow it.

It appears as if color-changing LED work on the smokestacks is now completed.

Credit: livingwellsnc

Credit: shirelleve

Credit: wfustyle

Credit: lyndsey_nomiddlename

Credit: mrgomez81

Credit: WFIQ

Credit: davidmonjo

Credit: amazongetsfit

1800 Winkler Bakery Coffee Shop:
The upstairs of this 217 year-old bakery building will have a coffee shop. It is already under-construction and will open, soon!

They finally completed another floor. It looks impressive from the east.

Wednesday, July 19:

Credit: chynagirl_is_here

If you look behind the busker and the big tree, you'll see it:

Credit: xl_hoodies

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

This nearly two mile project through downtown's IQ District is still seeing use, while under construction. Again, I expect this to be very popular when it's completed! A lot of people on this forum question these high line projects, but this high line project is seeing use, it's popular, and it hasn't opened.

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

They still have another section of bridge to complete:

A fixie on the high line. Local cyclists are calling this "Rainbow Road:"

Credit: chowandchatter

Mr & Miss Pride Winston-Salem tour the high line project:

Credit: sargentsoundmediaproductions

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: kira.be.yoga

Credit: indie_goh

Yes, this is inside the city limits:

Credit: sandinmyshades

This was the headquarters for Piedmont Airlines, one of the nation's major passenger airlines until a 1989 merger:

Credit: ultrastar175

This house was built in 1787!

Credit: wellswt_

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:44 PM

Lots of progress in Winston.

Central on 5th turned out great IMO compared to the renderings. And all this new public art is A1!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:36 AM

Matthew,
Sir, there is a bit of mis-info regarding the pic you posted of the House "Built in 1787" (the last photo in your 'random photos' section). I am pretty sure that this house is a 100% complete and authentic RE-build, modeled and based meticulously on the plans and materials used in the original construction (which was 1787, I think). A dear friend of mine owned it for many years. Old Salem can confirm this. Just wanted you to have accurate info in this matter.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 1:23 PM
Fourth and Main

As the person searching for these updates, I can say without a doubt, the amount of construction has increased by 75% in the past year. I was thinking: I need to start on posting the update a little earlier on Monday night/Tuesday morning, since the weekly update has nearly twice as many projects now. Developers are now saying they want to enter the downtown Winston-Salem market because they think this will be the next hot city for jobs, apartments, and development. It's great reading that in news stories and national reports.

I think you're right. It's not on Old Salem's list of historic homes. The source for the date is the photographer: Old Salem photographer Bill Wells. He has many amazing photographs of the neighborhood.

I did find an old photograph of the house:

Credit: Forsyth County Library

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:20 PM
Fourth and Main

Since this page is over-loaded with photographs and this project has several photographs, I'll give this project its own post.

Convention Center Renovation: Built!
This project looks great! It was a renovation and expansion of the city's 1960s convention center. City officials are calling this project completed, but it's not. This project won't be completed until next week. Next week, they will install metal panels on the east facade and finish construction on a second floor outdoor seating area. I will label it as complete, since the city is calling it complete, and if there is anything interesting to share from the actual completion, maybe I will share it in that week's update? Everyone who has seen this expansion and renovation has said they are impressed. Completion of this project should be great news for downtown. The CVB has already said they are booking significantly more events and larger events, leading to thousands more hotel room nights booked. Wow!

Credit: twin_city_quarter

Credit: visitwinstonsalem

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Credit: jeejuno

Credit: teamcvawesome

Credit: k_wedge

This is where all of the unfinished work is located, on the 1986 wing:

Credit: mariawurttele

They will renovate the pedestrian bridge in the Fall, so we could still see workers at the site until the end of the year.

Second floor outdoor seating area (still under construction!):

Credit: WXII

Credit: ncblackrep

Fifth Street is paved, marked, has new sidewalks, and is ready to reopen to traffic and pedestrians:

Credit: whartongladden

If you haven't seen it, be sure to attend the National Black Theatre Festival events, to see the expansion and renovation work.

The city usually makes coins for events like this (I would like to have one of these):

Sidewalks and Fifth Street are now open:

Credit: brightleafbooks

I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on this project. Without you, this post wouldn't exist. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media. Be sure to use WSNC as your tag, so I can find it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:55 AM
Fourth and Main

fProjects & Construction:

Video Link

Work has now started on the retail spaces.

Credit: cyclebarwinstonsalem

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
Big Sky Design is the interior designer for this project. They are currently working on a design focused on the colors and artwork of neighboring businesses. This is what Big Sky said: "Vintage meets New Age at the upcoming new Courtyard by Marriott in Downtown Winston-Salem! Our concept board was a hit and we cannot wait to show you how we bring that concept to life. Lauren researched specific meaningful details about the area that will be incorporated into this commercial design." On facebook, the developer said: "Our new Courtyard by Marriott Hotels [sic] in Downtown Winston-Salem is set to open in 2018 and we think it's going to look stunning!" If it's opening in 2018, construction should begin, soon? Their website still says opening in 2019? I'm guessing construction will begin early next year and they will complete the project in 2019? They still have to buy the site and demolish an existing office building on the site before construction can begin.

Interior Design Concept Board:

Credit: BigSkyDSGN

Mixxer Makerspace:
Construction on this project will begin in mid-September and renovations will be completed in January. When they move to their new building, next year, they will offer scholarships for members. If you would like to join, they are currently located in the Center for Design Innovation.

1880 Cupid's Park Theatre Renovation: Built!
Remember this project? It is now completed. I didn't search for any renovation photographs, to share an update. Sadly, I don't see many of the renovation; so there was little to share. These are all of the construction photographs I could find and all of the completion photographs. Yes, I said ALL of them. Yes, this structure is 137 years old! Be sure to visit and see the space.

Photograph from the Library of Congress:

Working on the floors:

Credit: kornersfolly

Restoring the original Victorian murals by German artist Caesar Milch:

Restored original gas theatre lighting (now electrified):

Completed Renovation:

Completed theatre in use:

Beautiful Victorian renovation!

They currently have a pile driver at the site, which is fun to watch. Sadly, I can't post that short video. This project will have two tower cranes. A 190 foot tall tower crane from Tindall Corporation and a smaller tower crane from Samet Corporation.

Credit: sarcasm_4_free

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center: (National Cycling Center)

Credit: Cycle Your City

The Variable Expansion:
Two years after doubling in size, with a move to downtown's IQ District, The Variable is ready to double in size again and become an investor in local startups. They want to become a business incubator on steroids, helping to develop the brand of new startups and invest in new startups in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. To expand their space, The Variable will take advantage of their historic building's high ceilings to add another floor above the current office. Did you know: The Variable won Advertising Age’s Silver Award for Southeast Small Agency of the Year. We will follow this project, if photographs of the work are available.

Runway Surveying:

MINIM:
The demolition company was given two penalties, including a fine, for the collapse, around three months ago. Work has stopped on this project and a wood fence was built around the site. The developer must purchase the pizza restaurant to build this project and hasn't, at this time. It's not clear if demolition work was completed or not, after the incident? For the reasons given, I will remove this 11-storey project from our current construction list, but it will remain on the projects list.

BB&T buys Republic Mutual Building for Expansion:
More banking jobs for downtown Winston-Salem. BB&T has purchased the Republic Mutual Insurance Headquarters (Park Building), designed by architect Pickard Chilton. This is the green-glass building with a tall atrium and palm trees in the lobby. Republic Mutual Insurance and Primo Water will have to move their headquarters to other buildings when their leases expire. BB&T wants the entire building for their operations. Republic Mutual Insurance leases all of the floors except for two, giving them most of the building's office space. BB&T is growing fast and is in need of more office space. They have now leased every floor in the BB&T Financial Center skyscraper. They also have two other buildings. Yes, BB&T will use the entire building when the other two tenants' leases expire, as part of a downtown BB&T Headquarters Complex. A greenway (bike & walking path) separates this building from BB&T's corporate headquarters tower. I'm sure they will make major renovations when the other leases expire. BB&T is Winston-Salem's largest Fortune 500 headquarters. If you're looking for a job in banking, BB&T is hiring!

So, what buildings will the two existing tenants move to? Primo Water may decide to move to the new office building proposed at the downtown ballpark, allowing that office project to move forward with an anchor tenant? The CEO of Primo Water owns the baseball team. One of these two tenants may also decide to lease at the proposed 325 North Broad Street mixed-use project. Republic Mutual Insurance leases most of the total space in their current building and if they sign a similar-sized lease in their next building, it could be enough to possibly fully lease the 9-14 storey 325 North Broad proposal? I would love to see that building break ground!

Credit: Commercial Realty Advisors

Central on 5th:

Credit: vanherdehaage

Another project that constantly pushes back its opening:

Credit: kbcjohn

Credit: timnatarr

Science & Office Building:
This building will have a 2,700 square foot atrium, where science will be on display. It will also have a cafe and a maker space. The top floor will have an outdoor terrace. They will seek LEED certification.

This shoe was found in the attic of the original 1794 building:

Credit: Old Salem Museums & Gardens

Residence Inn: Built
This hotel is now completed. It opened last Thursday, with a business library. It also includes studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom suites.

500 West Fifth Street:

Credit: wayupmedia

Credit: directoraustinabdo

View of 500 West Fifth from 16 Over 6 Artist Spaces:

Credit: mariawurttele

WSTB forum member rmhpmi posted an update, early last week. If you're a member of that forum, please thank him for the update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum

Credit: jonandjess

Credit: scharmann_ultra

The view from inside the power plant, on the Fifth Floor:

Credit: Dr. Tomlinson

Credit: pause.picture

I can see completed drywall work inside the building:

Quarry Park:
According to the architects, completion is set for August 15. Workers are installing a bike share docking station at the park. If you would like to use Zagster Bike Share at the park, it will be available!

Credit: austin.joffe.photo

Credit: worldsss

This is awesome!

Great views from the high line:

Credit: teamdreww

Filming a music video on Winston-Salem's high line:

Credit: justinreich

It appears as if a professional baseball player created a music video at this construction site? Very awesome!

Filming a music video on Winston-Salem's high line:

Credit: jonpfun

The music video is called Have a Good Day:

Credit: theallynetwork

Off-Subject:

Herman Buttner Distillery, built in 1803:
Distilling began in 1753, with brandy production reaching 2,100 gallons during the winter of 1776. A larger combined distillery and distiller’s residence opened in December of 1778 but fire destroyed it in December of 1802. The Buttner house, built in 1803, served as both the living quarters for the family of the distiller, Herman Buttner, and as a distribution point for the product.

Random Photographs:

Skyscrapers in Purple lights, last week, to support LGBT rights in the military:

Credit: shainakonzny

Yoga in the Park:

Credit: meghan_bab

Credit: roosterheisenberg

Historic Rowhouses:

Credit: wellswt_

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 6:02 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Do you love the way Winston-Salem looks, tonight?
Video Link

Jay once told me, music like this is the real soundtrack to Winston-Salem. I now agree.

1800 Winkler Bakery Coffee Shop: Built!
"Your new favorite spot in Old Salem to enjoy a cup of coffee and a pastry: Upstairs at Winkler - now open!"

"The Joiner's Shop's move to the Blum House is underway, starting with the successful placement of the 1820's Karsten Peterson work bench."

Honey from downtown bees and a crane at the construction site:

Credit: colonyurbanfarm

Does downtown honey have a unique flavor? Maybe it tastes like skyscrapers?

The owners said the brewery will be completed and open in roughly two weeks.

"This morning, we transferred our first batch from the fermenter to the brite tank for carbonation. Next stop: kegs!"

National Black Theatre Hall of Fame and Museum:
I was "guessing" we would have a progress update, on this project, for this week's update? Maybe we did and I didn't see it?

Credit: rachaels_cookin

Central on 5th:
The general contractor was kind enough to share an interior update with us. Beautiful construction and design work! We now know what the circular structure on the wall was for. It appears to be a circular seat?

Credit: kaitcetera

Credit: annathegreat

Credit: jav.j.a

It appears as if they found an issue with the sign?

Night View - August 4, 2017:

Credit: Mr. Jincks

A backing plate fell into the wall's channel, on this section: (You can see the metal backing in the channel)

Credit: matty.life

8 West Third Apartments:
Are you ready for another apartment project? The owner of this historic skyscraper won't renew any leases for the office tenants and is selling to an apartment developer. It was the first skyscraper built by Wachovia Bank & Trust, as their corporate headquarters from 1911 to 1965. North Carolina's Oldest Steel Frame Skyscraper "could" be the next project for PMC Property Group or maybe someone else? It's early, so no real details on the project at this time. I've long predicted the owner of this building would sell to an apartment developer. I'm surprised it took this long. The tenants moving-out of this building should be great news for the new office developments, nearby.

They added a floor inside the lobby, around 1917. Do you think this 1911 lobby is hidden under renovations:

Credit: Unknown

From what I've seen, it appears as if someone converted the beautiful lobby into two floors? Possibly in 1917, to gain extra space in the building? I would love to see it converted to its original 1911 appearance. It looked grander with the taller lobby.

HealthSouth Winston-Salem Hospital:
I didn't expect to find any photographs of this construction site. Thank you to the GC for providing updates!

Credit: dosterconstruction

Footnote:
It's time for us to start following this project. Foothills Brewing, on Fourth Street in downtown, is opening a new all-day business that will sell fresh roasted coffee (roasted on site) & pastries in the morning and become a high-end bar at night. The high-end bar will have Foothills beer, single malt scotches, single barrel bourbons, craft spirits, and a curated wine and cocktail list, along with charcuterie, tapas, and cold appetizers. Yes, this is the space located next to Bookmarks Bookstore and you will be able to have a beer or scotch while reading or attending events in the bookstore. WOW! It will also be designed as one of the preeminent private function facilities in downtown Winston-Salem. It will have three rooms of varying sizes, plus the main bar area, which altogether will offer 4,500 square feet of event space, with room for 250 people. So, this space can host anything from a small business meeting to Christmas parties to rehearsal dinners. Foothills will also have a special catering menu exclusively for Footnote. Their opening is scheduled for late-Fall 2017. If I can find progress photographs, we will follow this new and exciting project.

Credit: Foothills Brewing

When you visit Bookmarks Bookstore, you'll see a glass wall - Footnote is on the other side:

Atlanta-based FinTech company Sophisticated Means is relocating their headquarters to downtown Winston-Salem's Bailey Power Plant (Building 23-2). They have signed a lease for the third floor. New headquarters are always good news and it's great to see this building attracting companies from other states. No incentives are involved. No word on how many jobs this is bringing to downtown Winston-Salem.

Credit: aciaccia

Credit: ajr4187

Credit: rahul5hakya

Credit: jfennpics

I was told pieces of the tower crane have arrived on site?

Credit: rahul5hakya

"First footing pours of 400 yards at the Link Apartments"

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

"These are just three of the eight Mack Granites I saw hard at work in my neighborhood this AM"

Credit: chriszona17

New Renderings - Our first look at the interior:

Credit: bbm_arch

Credit: bbm_arch

Quarry Park:
This 220 acre park will open a week from today! If you are attending the opening day activities, they will have free Yoga at the Quarry and food trucks. If visiting the new park by bicycle: It has connections to multiple greenways, which explains the large number of cyclists visiting the park. It even has a connection to the high line project, through downtown.

Credit: ajr4187

Credit: checkybeckford

This is the highest cliff wall:

Credit: susanmaiercolon

Credit: blu2belle

Credit: CityofWS

Credit: chloenickles_yoga

Salem Lake Marina:

"Salem Lake is ready for boating again. New facilities are awesome."

Credit: clarkwork

Merschel / Civic Plaza Park:
There was talk this week about this park. I think they are close to releasing new renderings for a major transformation of this space? I found photographs that show the park and the setting.

A look at the space and the park's setting:

Credit: viantod

A view from inside the park:

Credit: luvinmy40s

Performance Place Renovation:
Our first update on the performing arts center renovation project! We now have an architect for this project and a rough idea of what they would like to do. Vines Architecture is the architect.

Credit: Vines Architecture

Downtown Marriott and Embassy Suites Renovations:
This project is currently pulling permits to begin construction.

Credit: divaheart_315

Credit: carroll_copeland

Credit: tictocka

The photographer above and below is "A Contemporary HipHop/RnB Recording Artist With SONY MUSIC/THE ORCHARD/MILES Ent." This project is attracting celebrities? And it's still under construction!

Credit: tictocka

Credit: al3xposure

If you would like to see Winston-Salem's new high line project by rickshaw, call: (336) 701-3282

Credit: officialbeersngears

Off-Subject:

The 1950s expressway is elevated (notice you're looking at the tree tops), providing a nice skyline view:

Credit: cadillac_brown

I have tried to capture that view a few times and never could.

Random Photographs:

Monday night in downtown:

Credit: c3artsradio

Credit: xxscapethenorm

Tuesday night:

Credit: jeejuno

Credit: ratbecky_

Fourth Street Restaurant Row: (Notice how small the streets are)

Credit: viantod

These houses, in Downtown's Village District, are fronting the sidewalk hard:

Credit: food_seduction_live

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 5:49 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank historian Fam Brownlee, the photographers, and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Video Link

RoedigerHouse, from the WSTB Forum, shared an update on this project, last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum

Really nice light fixtures:

Credit: lambert_dg

Hotel Indigo:
Construction workers are renovating the building from the top down. I expected each floor to be renovated at the same time. The discovery of asbestos covered pipes, rising the entire height of the building, has delayed renovation, but they removed them on August 11 and Omega Construction will start 6th floor wall framing on September 5.

Workers throw-out the last of the asbestos-covered pipe, ending the demolition phase:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

The old cafe space appears to be the construction workers' break-room?

Sunday View (Most of the buildings/storefronts on this stretch of 4th are under-renovation, including the tall buildings on both sides):

Credit: kaileeebethh

It's the 1928 Art Deco building on the right side:

Credit: wineandsuds

West End Station:

Credit: x1communications

Credit: sarahlak4realz

This brewery will open a week from today! Yes, Tuesday, August 22. This is a list of the beers they will offer on opening day:

Buena Vista Blonde Ale
Major Winston's Wheat
Ardmore Amber Ale
Camel City Session IPA
Dromedary IPA
Bactrian Double IPA

They will brew more beers over the coming weeks. They will also offer wine, craft cider, kombucha, and several non-alcoholic beverages.

I like this photograph! The brew-dog is named Banks:

It's a beautiful space! Since these posts are made on Tuesday mornings, we may have two more posts on this project?

8 West Third Apartments:
In this week's update, we have a better photograph of this building from 1911. 106 years old! Wow!

Credit: 91nephotography

iTech Solutions Looking for Office Space in Downtown Winston-Salem:
Connecticut-based iTech Solutions is considering downtown Winston-Salem for a new North Carolina IT office. They would like to move into the space in 2018. If you're looking for a job, iTech Solutions will create jobs for business analysts, developers, project managers, and IT directors. They already have two clients in the state and will create more jobs as they add clients. Winston-Salem is already on their website, including a skyline photograph.

New Winston Museum:

Credit: activewithanne

Credit: courtneybellebranch

This is an older photograph:

Credit: clyle_productions

This image is from a week or two ago and shows the east facade:

They are now ready to start restoration work and offer hands-on experiences in historic home restoration.

West End Marketplace Apartments:

We have new elevations of this project:

15 charming cities you may have overlooked:
Winston-Salem made the CNN list of 15 charming cities in the American South you may have overlooked. Several past projects discussed in this thread were among the city's attractions and one current project, Hotel Indigo, was also there. They also talked about the city's amazing art museums, luxury boutique hotels, Moravian food, breweries, distilleries, and vineyards.

Metal window structures and foam-board work are now completed and the foam-board is fully wrapped. Workers are installing glass in the window structures on the projection and around the main entrance, including the large window wall. They are also preparing to install the metal cladding pieces around the entrance. Workers are pouring the southeast corner restaurant's outdoor dining area, around the smokestack, too.

Panorama from the high line:

Credit: sjhzero

Notice the foam-board and wrap is completed on the projection:

Credit: winstonlovelist

What are these vertical wires, along the side of the smokestack? Does it have vertical LED lights, too?

Pouring the outdoor dining area around the smokestack:

Credit: mpollardterry

Central on 5th:
The library will open shortly after Labor Day, according to the library's N.C. Room.

Adding patterns/designs to the glass:

Credit: pro_tint_inc

North Carolina Room moving into their new space:

Credit: tamvw1

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center Among Best in the Nation:
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem was ranked second best in the Carolinas and is nationally ranked in six adult specialties, according to U.S. New & World Report's Best Hospitals list.

Workers are currently installing a massive canopy on the corner of the building.

Installing brackets for the canopy:

Credit: hammerhead_built

A closer look at the openings for the canopy brackets:

Credit: amylwagner

Workers building the massive canopy:

Gallery Lofts II:
The city gave final approval for this project. Residents wanted a 60 foot height limit placed on the project, located on Seventh Street in downtown's Goler-Depot District. It appears as if the developer agreed to do this. The building could have 50 apartments with parking under the building.

Quarry Park:
This park opens today!

Credit: ncroll4fun

Credit: chloenickles_yoga

Credit: CityOfWinstonSalem

Credit: rammy_4564

Credit: llphilpot

Credit: jcoplin

Credit: through_eddies_lens

Credit: out_of_our_minds_studios

You can also walk your dog(s) on this path:

Still under construction:

Off-Subject:

Why Texas Pete Is the Best Hot Sauce:
You may remember following T.W. Garner's downtown headquarters construction on this thread. They are best known for Texas Pete Hot Sauce. This article appeared recently on their hot sauce.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/na...hot-sauce-tips

Vigil for Unity:
They packed the entire area to demonstrate against racism and hate. Not just the park, but into surrounding streets. This is the city I post on!

Credit: sarahlasker

Credit: sarahjanegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nishamary
The city that showed up at the vigil today is the city that I moved here for. These men and women stood up against Hate. They stood for Unity. For Equality. For LOVE. Because they know silence does nothing but help divide us all.

This is what we all love about Winston-Salem:

Credit: Jim Pica

Random Photographs:

Credit: tarqac

Credit: Secretoriginz

Credit: ravenco

Credit: gabyoftherose

1957:

Credit: oldsaleminc

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 6:07 AM
Fourth and Main

Next week's update is growing too large, in photographs and projects, and there is no conversation in this thread, to push it to the next page, so I'll post this completed project in its own post. This is a massive completion post! I want to thank the photographers. Without them, we wouldn't have this post.

Quarry Park: Built!
This 220 acre park project is now completed. The new park can host concerts & events, you can ride your bike or a horse around the site, or you can enjoy the sunset over the skyline and large lake. The park connects to multiple greenways, including the high line project in downtown, if you want to bike to the new park. I will miss posting on it. This was one of my favorite projects. I love the views from THE BOOM observation pier. Thankfully, there are plans for a second phase in the next bonds. So, maybe we can add it back to our list again, soon?

Welcome to Winston-Salem's newest park:

Credit: 88.5wfdd

Winston-Salem's Mayor:

Credit: real_estate_by_anton

Ribbon is cut:

Credit: michaelviglianco

This is Kelsey Fabian from Fox 8:

Credit: myfox8

Credit: rescue_dog_mom

Volcanic rock from when Winston-Salem was a collection of volcanic islands (volcanic archipelago):

Credit: apolishedmother

Credit: cfsfc2011

Credit: sajackson88

THE BOOM Observation Pier is very high in elevation:

This is a bad angle to view the skyline. Notice how the buildings line-up behind each other (GMAC Tower behind the Nissen Building behind Liberty Plaza behind Ward Federal Building; Marriott behind Winston Tower; also BB&T Financial Center is behind the Wells Fargo Center; and One West Fourth is behind the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel):

Credit: gmcghee71

Horrible angle to view the skyline.

The Restrooms:

Credit: triadfamily

These are called gabion walls:

Credit: josephbullin

Credit: City of WS

The water-level continues to rise and it's drowning the trees:

Credit: clarkwork

Credit: apolishedmother

Credit: josephbullin

Credit: whg423

Credit: whg423

They also have remnants of vintage mining equipment at the park. The equipment was abandoned decades ago. Sadly, no one photographed it. It can be something to surprise you, on your visit!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 11:49 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

8 West Third Apartments:

Credit: thewanderinggirlandherchucks

Hotel Indigo:
Work on the sixth floor begins in two weeks.

Credit: something_like_oliviaa

Forsyth County Office Building:
County Commissioners have voted to construct a new county office building with parking under the building. It will be constructed at the southeast corner of Second and Church streets. The county already owns the site. It could be five or six floors. Not many additional details at this time.

Credit: egonn

A look at the new Alma Mexicana Restaurant, opening in January 2018:

Credit: theporchws

This is maybe a week or two old, but it shows an angle that is difficult to find:

Credit: forsythtechatinnovationquarter

A look at the projection with windows and some of the metal cladding installed:

The baseball team's mascot with the northeast corner's progress in the background:

Credit: llcoolmabe

A somewhat good view of the construction and the new apartment building across the street:

Credit: 0mgata

See the progress on the far right side of the photograph:

Credit: lovelunchliftoff

From yesterday (August 21) around 2:30 p.m.,:

Credit: kelseypirie

Winston-Salem Had Fastest Nationwide Rent Growth:
Winston-Salem's rent growth is the strongest in the United States, according to Apartment List. Last month, median rents grew 1.8% over a one month period (June to July). The most expensive part of the city to rent an apartment is downtown. With three downtown apartment buildings under construction that will rank among the most expensive in the city and more proposed, I expect this to continue. Apartment List is also reporting most of the renters in other Triad-area cities are leaving those cities to move to Winston-Salem.

Casper Distillery:
We have a fun project to add to our list, this week! This distillery is said to be looking at 408 North Liberty Street. The developer behind Hotel Indigo is proposing this project. He is seeking historic tax credits to restore the building to its original appearance.

Easter Creek Partners Headquarters: Built!
This project is now completed.

Credit: GEMCAP

Mixxer Makerspace:
This project is now under construction and we have our first update.

From yesterday (August 21 at 1:30 p.m.), I counted 8 floors:

Credit: camelcityneil

Yes, it's old. This is from a month ago. It's the building under construction on the far right side:

Credit: it.is.lj

It's taller now.

Central on 5th:
Did you know the library will have a demonstration kitchen for cooking classes, a makerspace with two 3D printers, furniture designed with outlets/ports, and soundproofed audio/video studios, along with a green screen & theatre lighting, to make movies, videos, or record music? The building has all of the latest technology and is a place where people can learn/use the latest tech devices. It even has large screens to play games on Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo. Workers moved into the new building last Tuesday. The grand opening is now scheduled for August 31st, at 11:00 a.m.,. Yes, it will be completed and open next week! They are replacing some of the carpet, working on the internet, and installing lighted handrails on the atrium stairs, which they expect to have completed by next week.

Credit: nan_larosee

Credit: fcplteens

This is the mountain view from the library's outdoor "observation deck" reading area: (Sauratown Mountain is pictured)

Sauratown Mountain is 2,441 feet / 744 metres tall and has towers for several local TV and radio stations. It is the second tallest mountain in the Winston-Salem metro area. The weather doesn't look good in the photograph. On a clear day, you should have nice mountain views.

Downtown Life Storage:
Due to the fast growing downtown population, a self-storage developer is buying the vacant 200 South Broad hotel and planning an upscale multi-storey, climate-controlled, self-storage facility. It will be designed to look similar to an office building, to blend-in with downtown. It will only have one truck bay, so it won't look like a storage facility. Construction is set to begin in early 2018 and will be completed in First Quarter 2019. There are few details at this time.

Concrete walls are being poured and the fence is wrapped in Link Apartments ads. It has become difficult to find photographs of this project. If you're in that area, please take a few for us.

Credit: 5150thepain

Concrete walls being poured:

Credit: hypetheengineer

A change order was issued to completely rebuild runway 4.

Runway 4 after milling: (Will be completely demolished and rebuilt)

500 West Fifth Street:

If you look into the windows on the top two floors, you can see some of the demolition progress (interior ceiling demolition):

Forsyth County Courthouse:
County Commissioners approved building a new 332,000 square foot courthouse at 175 North Chestnut Street (Second and Chestnut streets). The $120 million courthouse will have parking under the building and a tunnel, connecting it to the Forsyth County Detention Center Complex. A skybridge will connect the new courthouse to a new county office building, across the street (see "Forsyth County Office Building" in this post). The new courthouse will be the same height as the existing Forsyth County Government Center, across the street. It will be designed to add more floors, in the future. The county expects to close on the site on October 10.

New Winston Museum:

North Carolina History Teachers Training Center:
I didn't think we would see any updates on this project. According to Old Salem, it will have visible collections and an education facility. "Soon you will be able to walk through the building and view and learn about our stored objects. The building will also house a significant space for educational programs and ADA bathrooms."

A new restaurant has leased at this residential and retail development. The restaurant will offer poke and fresh organic & fair share ingredient juices.

The first phase of this project is very close to completion.

This brewery will open today! They are also the official beer of the Carolina Thunderbirds Hockey Team, playing at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex. If you like the local hockey team, be sure to try Fiddlin' Fish Beer while you're at a game.

Preparing the taps for opening day:

New employees learning about wine:

If you're interested in tickets to the Triad's hockey team, call: 336-748-GOAL(4625) or cpighini@carolinathunderbirds.com

Credit: carolinaatbirds

Sunrise Technologies Headquarters: Built!
This tech company office, in downtown's IQ District, is now completed. As you know, I always enjoy seeing the completed offices of creative and tech companies in the city.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: faded_lens_photography

A look at some of the massive houses built in Winston-Salem before WWII:

Credit: amyvermillioninteriors

This house, built in 1917, has around 75,000 square feet of space:

Credit: redcardinalstudio

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:31 AM

Cheers!

After skimming this thread off and on for about a year, I wanted to sign up and tell you how awesome it has been to read this! This is the best place for me to go to for trying to keep up with everything happening in Winston, and it is a lot.

Keep up the great work!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 5:13 PM

Link Apts 2016-08-16

There are several more sections of wall and foundation that have been poured since this picture was taken on Aug 16th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations