Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:20 PM

Cool CHICAGO | 725 W Randolph | 700 FT | 41 FLOORS

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/10/1...otel-high-rise

Equinox hotel to rise 58 stories above Chicago’s West Loop
The proposed high-rise would top out at 680 feet

BY JAY KOZIARZ OCT 11, 2017, 12:22PM CDT

Quote:
The plan to bring a combination residential/hotel development marketed under the Equinox Fitness Club brand to Chicago’s West Loop is finally coming into clearer focus. Reported originally in 2015 to be a 369-foot tower featuring 145 hotel rooms topped by 20 for-sale condominiums, the project at 725 W. Randolph has since grown considerably larger. According to zoning documents filed with the Chicago City Clerk, the latest plan now calls for a 680-foot skyscraper containing 165 hotel rooms and 370 residential units.

The project comes from Chicago-based developer Related Midwest who is in effect doubling down on the area after also submitting an application for a 51-story residential tower at Randolph and Peoria with partner Tucker Development. Equinox had announced plans to open as many as 75 fitness-oriented hotels around the world including a location at the Related Companies’ Hudson Yards megaproject in New York. Related acquired Equinox Fitness Clubs in 2006.

Contrary to earlier reports tapping New York-based Handel Architects to oversee the design, the 58-story Chicago tower comes from Perkins Eastman Architects and Roger Ferris + Partners. The plan also calls for an on-site fitness club, prominent exterior signage, and parking for 150 vehicles accessible via Court Place.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:46 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:08 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
So, I heard this forum likes tall buildings...

725 W. Randolph | 58 stories | 680 ft | 165 hotel | 370 units | 150 parking

Looks like an enlarged Exhibit (aka Hojo Tower).
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:46 PM
Development Shill

I wouldn't put much weight on these drawings at all for what the rendering will look like, and if it is going to look like anything it's more likely to look like that 1035 W Van Buren than Exhibit(God willing...)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:39 PM

The tower is projected to have "Prominent exterior signage"
.__.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:41 PM
TL;DR

The other elevations in the PD seem to indicate a tower with angled sides. I can't tell if the floor plates will be a parallelogram, or maybe a chevron. The plan views don't indicate the shape of the tower.

Cautiously optimistic about this one... it will fill in a big gap in the high rise wall developing west of the Kennedy. Also a nice gateway to the Randolph Market.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:13 PM

I am pleased about the "existing building to remain". It's a quite handsome 4-story brick building that spans the length of the block, with no curb cuts or parking entrances.

I also know that this is sacrilege on SSP, but hopefully there will be no further highrises west of this on Randolph. If that's not prevented by zoning then it should be. The last thing we need is for all of the interesting places (Au Cheval, Girl & the Goat, Bar Siena, Maude's, etc) replaced by whatever can afford ground floor retail rents in a condo building. Not to mention the inevitable destruction of the streetscape that occurs with Chicago-style parking podiums.

It's going to fuck up the skyline view from Soho House, but I suppose that was bound to happen at some point.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:32 PM

I'm in London at the moment for school stuff, and my dorm is across a tower call the Triton Building. The tower's facade is vertical and horizontal metal panels which extend past the building. I could imagine 725 W. Randolph looking similar to the Triton.

Source: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-48780380.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:19 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I am pleased about the "existing building to remain". It's a quite handsome 4-story brick building that spans the length of the block, with no curb cuts or parking entrances.
I too would be very upset if the venerable and delicious Haymarket Brewery were to be demolished

Is that god awful BOA branch and parking lot on the corner of Halsted and Washington sticking around? I remember when they were building it around 10 years ago and thinking what a waste of real estate it was. I seriously hope I'm reading that drawing wrong...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I too would be very upset if the venerable and delicious Haymarket Brewery were to be demolished

Is that god awful BOA branch and parking lot on the corner of Halsted and Washington sticking around? I remember when they were building it around 10 years ago and thinking what a waste of real estate it was. I seriously hope I'm reading that drawing wrong...
I'll have to admit that I've never been there (at least not that I remember). I don't really like that kind of American bar food (wings, nachos, anything with "ranch", etc), and it seems like such a waste to be in the neighborhood and not go to Au Cheval or the Publican, or something more sophisticated.

It sure seems like the BofA is staying.

But I don't mind that. It will be redeveloped at some point, and I would rather it be a different project to create a more varied block, rather than this building having a big podium that wraps around the Haymarket Brewery building.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:53 PM

Here's a massing I did. My guess is the facade doesn't angle out and that its just the design of the mullions. Although it would be way more interesting if it did angle.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:24 PM

Good stuff.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Let this get built first, then the BofA lot will have guaranteed views over this development's parking structure east of that lot.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:05 PM
The City

^ Yeah really, the BofA is a great future development opportunity. And in the meantime it at least provides a needed service for the community

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yeah really, the BofA is a great future development opportunity. And in the meantime it at least provides a needed service for the community
Really? The last time I went into a bank was to open my account. I really can't figure out why they have so much physical presence.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 2:14 PM
The City

^ Knowing people at your local bank is still a plus, even in this day and age. They help you out with stuff, especially if you're dealing with money wires, transfers, etc where things can go wrong. It's that much more helpful when the people there know you by name and are friendly with you than when it's a total stranger who is indifferent to your needs. Plus I sometimes still use them as a notary.

Banking is one industry where I definitely hope everything doesn't become completely automated. The customer service element is still needed by many of us.

Having said that, I think you sort of answered your own question: one of the reasons bank branches exist today is precisely because that's where people open up new accounts. And in a booming area like the West Loop you definitely want to be in on the action

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Knowing people at your local bank is still a plus, even in this day and age. They help you out with stuff, especially if you're dealing with money wires, transfers, etc where things can go wrong. It's that much more helpful when the people there know you by name and are friendly with you than when it's a total stranger who is indifferent to your needs. Plus I sometimes still use them as a notary.

Banking is one industry where I definitely hope everything doesn't become completely automated. The customer service element is still needed by many of us.

Having said that, I think you sort of answered your own question: one of the reasons bank branches exist today is precisely because that's where people open up new accounts. And in a booming area like the West Loop you definitely want to be in on the action
But do you need a half block retail branch for new accounts? You could have a small shop the size of the average city AT&T or Verizon shop for the same thing.

I get the desire for a personal contact, but I've got a private banker in the US and do everything by phone or email. The brick and mortar branches are silly.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 5:09 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I'll have to admit that I've never been there (at least not that I remember). I don't really like that kind of American bar food (wings, nachos, anything with "ranch", etc), and it seems like such a waste to be in the neighborhood and not go to Au Cheval or the Publican, or something more sophisticated.
Not everyone wants to spend two hours waiting for a cheeseburger.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:49 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Here's a massing I did. My guess is the facade doesn't angle out and that its just the design of the mullions. Although it would be way more interesting if it did angle.
Now that I see your massing, I'm sure the tower is a parallelogram (like John Hancock in Boston). The tower in your images is too fat for residential, the spaces close to the core don't get any daylight so they're virtually useless as living spaces.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Now that I see your massing, I'm sure the tower is a parallelogram (like John Hancock in Boston). The tower in your images is too fat for residential, the spaces close to the core don't get any daylight so they're virtually useless as living spaces.
Hmm you might be right. Here's the elevation I hadn't seen before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals