HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

If there was a downtown grocer in Edmonton, then I would question why not one in Winnipeg. That Save On location there, the geographical proximity makes a significant difference for sure.

If a more downtown-core grocer pops up there then I would say "why not Winnipeg" - but if the closest thing to it already failed then I would question how high the population needs to be to support that business model. Circa 2016, it looks like downtown Edmonton was between 12k-13k, and downtown Winnipeg between 16k-17k in terms of what each city was reporting as "downtown population"...both neighbourhoods were within their defined "downtown" areas
You'd be right to suggest "why not", if we had today's population 4-5 years ago. Now it's not a question of our population or our downtown, but the national market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I've long said downtown doesn't need a suburban-size grocer, but a small footprint version would be good... my tune is starting to change even on that. Because of the growing availability for grocery delivery, you can get pretty much everything you need delivered at little-to-no cost. I already do that and I live in Norwood.

Where you may lose out is on higher-end or specialty items that either aren't offered at big grocers, or aren't available online due to stock – and you would go to an (independent) specialty store. I have some fears that if a Superstore or Sobeys were to open downtown, it would kill the potential business of some specialty or small shops opening, as well as convenience stores. While there aren't any 7-11s downtown, there's actually quite a few independent convenience stores that do a decent business, they're just often tucked away.

Apparently there's a specialty food store/grocer opening on McDermot soon (former Paperdoll) – if a major grocer opened, it could kill them. Get your big groceries by delivery and allow these small shops (the long-sought mystical deli) to open and thrive.
If a small store was an option it would be there, and you can be guaranteed that this approach was tried. It wasn't about getting the size right, but getting the time right, and that time isn't right for nearly any grocer in any downtown in Canada these days. Getting the right product means little if the market isn't hospitable.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:21 PM

I have to say I'm really surprised that our downtown population is 33% larger than Edmonton. That's great news and with these new buildings going up and filling up since 2016 we might be closer to 20,000 in short order. That's great news for this city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:28 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Population isn't everything, though. New buildings or conversions might have relatively high income earners, but large chunks of downtown Winnipeg have residents with low incomes. Having lived in both downtown Winnipeg and Edmonton, it appears to me that on the whole, downtown Edmonton is a higher earning place... I draw this conclusion on the basis that there are far more residential buildings there that would appeal to higher earners than there are in Winnipeg. That will be a factor in how viable a grocery store is.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:29 PM

dit

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:37 PM

Well it seems the new residential that has been introduced downtown is geared to high to median level incomes which is great news. I'm not particularly concerned with a grocery store. I feel if the market displays a need then a grocer will come in some form. From the sounds of it, Artis put in the work to find a grocer but it wasn't worth it. If that's the case then this is all a non issue for now.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:24 PM

Marwest Development and Construction sign is up

https://instagram.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn....78775296_n.jpg
kevin (@garnettttt) on Instagram

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:39 PM

^^^A good sign of things to come!

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:27 AM

Was browsing the Canada diagram page when I noticed the status for 300 Main had been changed to UNDER CONSTRUCTION! I had the cartoon bug-eyes sticking out of my face.
I couldn't race over to the forum fast enough to confirm this OUTSTANDING news. What a vote of confidence for downtown Wpg. Please please have a construction cam for this project. It's been 28 years since the cities last tallest bldg was topped off.

Old Posted Today, 1:19 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan