HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Exactly. It’s only ever a waste of taxpayer money when it’s the other guys or something they ideologically disagree with. It has nothing to do with respecting taxpayer money. It’s just more lazy anti tax rhetoric that ignores all facts and will likely end up costing the people of Ontario more in the end than if they had just stuck with the original cap and trade system. That’s what voters wanted though I guess.

Really it’s no different than when Harper increased the size of the privy council 100 fold so he could create a virtual propaganda wing of the government.
The Privy Council or the Privy Council Office? I'm guessing you mean the latter.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It’s only ever a waste of taxpayer money when it’s the other guys or something they ideologically disagree with. It has nothing to do with respecting taxpayer money. It’s just more lazy anti tax rhetoric that ignores all facts and will likely end up costing the people of Ontario more in the end than if they had just stuck with the original cap and trade system. That’s what voters wanted though I guess.

Really it’s no different than when Harper increased the size of the privy council 100 fold so he could create a virtual propaganda wing of the government.
The big companies have bought into the carbon cap as well - literally. They have bought $2B+ of carbon credits, which will be worthless if Dougie gets his way. I'm sure the corporations will love that 'pro business' piece of policy.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:50 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Gotta love the con's love of money over the environment.
Conservatives need a new name. They don’t want to conserve anything. The only thing they care about is money. That’s it. Historic buildings? Scrap heap! The environment? Destroy it for profit. Health and wellness? Only for the rich!

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The Privy Council or the Privy Council Office? I'm guessing you mean the latter.
Yes that’s what I meant.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:54 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The big companies have bought into the carbon cap as well - literally. They have bought $2B+ of carbon credits, which will be worthless if Dougie gets his way. I'm sure the corporations will love that 'pro business' piece of policy.
But he’s gonna save them money they’ve already invested!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:29 AM

Quote:

While I generally agree with the sentiment, you seem to be suggesting that this is solely a trait of conservative governments. Surely you don't believe that to be true, do you?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 4:03 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It's like Treasury Board vs Treasury Board Secretariat.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:15 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
While I generally agree with the sentiment, you seem to be suggesting that this is solely a trait of conservative governments. Surely you don't believe that to be true, do you?
When it comes to the line about ‘respecting taxpayers’ it’s 100% only conservatives. That is their schtick. And they use it for all it is worth. I find a single minded focus on nothing but taxes and money myopic, inhuman and amoral.

On the other hand the Liberal party can be arrogant and breaks promises all the time. Trudeau claiming this would be our last FPTP election and then scrapping the plans for proportional representation was galling.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

RE: The garage house. Curious if this is ugly to ye? Early 1940s suburbia in St. John's this morning.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:59 PM

Not ugly but that is largely because of the vegetation surrounding it. Also looks very well maintained. Basically it is looksmaxxed (this is a new term to me but it applies here, given what it has to work with it looks the absolute best it could).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I frequently check MLS and this one popped up, ugly or not ugly?

The giant protrusion of a garage is a blight on modern housing. That aside, the house itself is fairly inoffensive.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:12 PM

The house would look better if they built a bonus room on top of the garage.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:21 PM

I was checking out the neighborhood on Google Maps, the one for sale looks the worst IMO. Also, interestingly enough, its garage protrudes the most.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:22 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Both those homes are respectable, certainly not ugly, the smaller one is a bit more attractive. We in Canada are spoiled and have very high standards, those homes would be the envy of most Londoners (UK).

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Conservatives need a new name. They don’t want to conserve anything. The only thing they care about is money. That’s it. Historic buildings? Scrap heap! The environment? Destroy it for profit. Health and wellness? Only for the rich!
Conservatives put the N in Cuts.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:35 PM

The roofs of almost all buildings in London, UK are built to last a lifetime. They don't use asphalt shingles like we do. My house is 15 years old and it already needs new shingles, pisses me off.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Mostly felt roofs here (in the core, I mean - our suburban houses are normal). I think it's the poor man's version of shingles:

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jun 16, 2018 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:50 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Those roofs and homes look great!

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
The roofs of almost all buildings in London, UK are built to last a lifetime. They don't use asphalt shingles like we do. My house is 15 years old and it already needs new shingles, pisses me off.
I had never heard of replacing roofs on a routine basis being much of a 'thing' until I came to Canada but wasn't sure if that was just because I was too young to pay attention to such things back then. But given how the houses here are generally made crappily out of chipboard and plastic rather than cement blocks and bricks, it wouldn't surprise me if the roofs are not great either.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I had never heard of replacing roofs on a routine basis being much of a 'thing' until I came to Canada but wasn't sure if that was just because I was too young to pay attention to such things back then. But given how the houses here are generally made crappily out of chipboard and plastic rather than cement blocks and bricks, it wouldn't surprise me if the roofs are not great either.
You expect to replace a shingle roof every 15 to 25 years, depending on the quality of shingles. I think construction grade is normally 15 year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada