HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 6:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I'll do some digging, because I know I've been to towns in Europe and Argentina where they had annual parades that were well over 150 years old!
There are places that have been having annual Easter parades for 500 years or more. The tradition itself is probably much older than that.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:21 AM

Dig away. Many places have had Easter Parades only to have the stop after many years. As far as I can tell the Toronto Santa Parade holds the current title to longest running annual parade. I know it's really annoying isn't it.

But please if you find a parade still running that has been around since before 1904 with-ought skipping a year I'd love to know about it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:44 AM

Santa parade?

lol

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 8:30 AM
video et taceo

please guys. don't do this.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:14 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
To make this even more interesting - how long have the Unionists in Northern Ireland been having parades to mark the Battle of the Boyne?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Rare is it that I have a real good laugh at what someone has written here at SSP. Thanks, man.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:35 PM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Dig away. Many places have had Easter Parades only to have the stop after many years. As far as I can tell the Toronto Santa Parade holds the current title to longest running annual parade. I know it's really annoying isn't it.

But please if you find a parade still running that has been around since before 1904 with-ought skipping a year I'd love to know about it.
The Montreal St. Patrick's Day Parade has been held annually since 1824. There were years where it was officially cancelled, but people marched anyways to keep the tradition going.
http://www.montrealirishparade.com/a...torians-corner

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 9:01 AM

Last edited by Darkoshvilli; Oct 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Darkoshvilli, thanks for bringing us back to outstanding photos/illustrations of yesteryear.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Darkoshvilli, thanks for bringing us back to outstanding photos/illustrations of yesteryear.
No problem. And thanks to DubyDub2009 for his amazing collection of photos on Montreals history on flickr.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
very interesting video

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
very interesting video
Ha!

One thing that has shocked me since moving home is the strength of separatist sentiment. I simply didn't hear it growing up - now it's everywhere.

Even my parents have said, when they were growing up, no one even thought of independence as an option.

They said, about 25 years ago, people really started to bring it up in anger, or as a joke - but now it comes up all the time, in every political conversation, as a realistic and sober option.

There seems to be a passion for it that wasn't there before as well. I notice a lot of people, especially the younger generation, seem disappointed and even saddened by the political status quo. They feel... robbed of something, they feel it personally.

And the attempts to revive some of the aspects of our culture that were lost following Confederation are obvious enough. The Mummers Parade, as you know, perfect example.

I'm... not saying too much. But I think Newfoundland really is moving in a separatist direction. I don't think we're anywhere close to that yet, but I do think - if nothing changes in our relationship with Canada - that's where we're headed. We're definitely becoming less integrated, politically and emotionally, not more.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 8:00 PM
video et taceo

it'll take some of the weight off us i guess.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Ha!

One thing that has shocked me since moving home is the strength of separatist sentiment. I simply didn't hear it growing up - now it's everywhere.

Even my parents have said, when they were growing up, no one even thought of independence as an option.

They said, about 25 years ago, people really started to bring it up in anger, or as a joke - but now it comes up all the time, in every political conversation, as a realistic and sober option.

There seems to be a passion for it that wasn't there before as well. I notice a lot of people, especially the younger generation, seem disappointed and even saddened by the political status quo. They feel... robbed of something, they feel it personally.

And the attempts to revive some of the aspects of our culture that were lost following Confederation are obvious enough. The Mummers Parade, as you know, perfect example.

I'm... not saying too much. But I think Newfoundland really is moving in a separatist direction. I don't think we're anywhere close to that yet, but I do think - if nothing changes in our relationship with Canada - that's where we're headed. We're definitely becoming less integrated, politically and emotionally, not more.
I disagree with you. Do we wonder how history would have unfolded had we voted to stay our own nation, yes! But nobody I know has a separatist attitude. We tend to think of ourselves as Newfoundlanders first, and Canadians second.

Te rest of Canada also seems to often forget we exist. For example, often on national news programs/ morning talk shows they will give out the national weather, but they stop at Halifax as if we do not even exist. Another example, the term Maratimes. (NB, NS, PEI. NL excluded) I hear this word often on the news as opposed to "Atlantic Canada". Just another way we are excluded.

As former premier Danny Williams would put it, the rest of Canada too often gives Newfoundland "the shaft". But even though we are different than the rest of Canada, often excluded, and made the butt of jokes across the country, we put up with it!

Although the vast majority of us as a province, are much more patriotic to Newfoundland than Canada, separation will never happen. I have never even heard of Newfoundland Seperatists before. We need Canada. There is no way you would ever get the public here to support separation, unless some huge disagreement with the federal government.

Had the outcome of the vote been different, we may have made it on our own. But today, it makes no economic or political sense, and is something that has never even crossed my mind.

There is no way we would make it as a nation. No way.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 9:56 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I disagree with you. Do we wonder how history would have unfolded had we voted to stay our own nation, yes! But nobody I know has a separatist attitude. We tend to think of ourselves as Newfoundlanders first, and Canadians second.

Te rest of Canada also seems to often forget we exist. For example, often on national news programs/ morning talk shows they will give out the national weather, but they stop at Halifax as if we do not even exist. Another example, the term Maratimes. (NB, NS, PEI. NL excluded) I hear this word often on the news as opposed to "Atlantic Canada". Just another way we are excluded.

As former premier Danny Williams would put it, the rest of Canada too often gives Newfoundland "the shaft". But even though we are different than the rest of Canada, often excluded, and made the butt of jokes across the country, we put up with it!

Although the vast majority of us as a province, are much more patriotic to Newfoundland than Canada, separation will never happen. I have never even heard of Newfoundland Seperatists before. We need Canada. There is no way you would ever get the public here to support separation, unless some huge disagreement with the federal government.

Had the outcome of the vote been different, we may have made it on our own. But today, it makes no economic or political sense, and is something that has never even crossed my mind.

There is no way we would make it as a nation. No way.
A lot of what you said in the middle can apply to Saskatchewan as well. Numerous times on the national weather forecasts they seem to mention BC, Edmonton, Calgary, then skip over Saskatchewan, and they might mention Winnipeg in passing before they get to Ontario. Saskatchewan also has been the butt of many many jokes for a very long time. And for a long time people within Saskatchewan (and Saskatchewan expats) were down on our own province as well, but with the change in economics there is a growing pride again.

Also, the "Maritimes vs Atlantic Canada" thing; I think it lies in that a lot of people don't really know that NL isn't one of the "Maritimes", I find people use the 2 terms pretty interchangeably. It isn't out of a desire to forget Newfoundland, but lack of knowledge of the proper terminology. I'll let you decide which infraction is worse. This is also seen in the usage of the term "Prairie Provinces". Technically it would refer to AB, SK, and MB; however, increasingly it is starting to just refer to SK and MB with AB being something of its own designation especially in political commentary.

In any case, with the flashy tourism ads NL is putting out nowadays, more and more people have started to take trips there. So I'd say your profile on the national stage is probably better than it has been in quite a long while. Plus... there is always the "9:30 in Newfoundland" appended to the end of all CBC broadcast announcements to remind us all that you haven't drifted into the Atlantic.

Last edited by Nathan; Oct 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Ha!

I have to agree with you.. a lot within the young population and many who do not talk about it openly but do hold this belief .. many older people who do not see the huge economic things happening say the "we cannot survive" thing they have become accustomed to saying ..

Who knows what the future holds lots change in short amounts of time

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hmm....

And now some old Regina... a baby compared to Eastern Canadian cities.

Some are old photographs, so this is the best quality available. Unless otherwise mentioned, all come the following University of Saskatchewan site which partnered with the City of Regina and Various Archival and Heritage groups.

1906 - The year Regina acheived "City" status, basically unrecognisable:

Unrecognisable due to the 1912 Regina Cyclone:

Source

Source

And now onto happier times... Regina's first true highrise under construction:

And completed shown in 1913 (demolished in the 80s to make way for one of the twins):

Downtown Scarth Street... much of this was demolished to make way for the downtown Cornwall Shopping Centre (which is still the premier mall of the city):

1935:

1937 - Now with Hotel Saskatchewan:

A shame the first proposed/partially constructed railroad hotel "Chateau Qu'Appelle" was never completed due to Grand Trunk Railway going under:

Photo from wikipedia

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:35 PM

We haven't seen many Regina pics on this thread. Thanks for posting these interesting pics Nathan.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Nice stuff. I really like that picture of Scarth St.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Nice stuff. I really like that picture of Scarth St.
I found a clearer image of the King's hotel in the first picture of Scarth... a shame it was demolished:

Originally this:

But expanded and with additions became this:

From U of A Library

Part of the facade of the bank next to it was saved and is currently a feature inside the Cornwall Centre:

Source: "Regina in Pictures" Blog

Edit: And bonus... an old photo showing the old City Hall on the right - often called the Gingerbread House (the building in the background on the left with the two domes was used as city hall for a while too):

And Closer in an old postcard:

Was unable to be saved due to the extremely poor condition of the foundation.

Last edited by Nathan; Oct 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada