HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:56 AM

^Yeah, I don't think either project affects the other. The 360 reclad effectively takes up no more space and is no more intrusive than washing the windows almost. And they likely won't touch a lot of the lower/connecting facades until the centre portion build is underway, likely 2 years out.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
once the facade of 360 is done i think is whats been said a few times in the media
That's expected to be completed in (or before) Dec 2017, and 300 should get moving before... relocation work (as per below) likely in early summer, upward momentum late summer early fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Yeah, I don't think either project affects the other. The 360 reclad effectively takes up no more space and is no more intrusive than washing the windows almost. And they likely won't touch a lot of the lower/connecting facades until the centre portion build is underway, likely 2 years out.
Sounds about right. Artis is pushing this forward hard, and the two projects do not affect each other.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 12:28 AM

There looks to be some fencing and construction pylons southbound main by Winnipeg Square. I also saw someone wearing a safety vest walking around on the south pad of Winnipeg Square today, not sure if this could be related at all to 300 main??

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
There looks to be some fencing and construction pylons southbound main by Winnipeg Square. I also saw someone wearing a safety vest walking around on the south pad of Winnipeg Square today, not sure if this could be related at all to 300 main??
Sewer work. There's a giant hole in the ground where the bus stop is.

Also, work has begun on finishing the corners of the tower. It's a nice rounded brushed silver (look), looks great with the new facade.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
As mentioned sewer work.

That said although there is work on the 360 Main tower exterior, Artis is constantly renovating interior spaces. Hard hats and vests are commonplace in Winnipeg Square.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:06 PM

I noticed they had the columns at the very base of 360 finished with a silver coloured covering. I assumed that is what would go on the tower corners all the way up. Sounds like that's the case.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I noticed they had the columns at the very base of 360 finished with a silver coloured covering. I assumed that is what would go on the tower corners all the way up. Sounds like that's the case.
No, the corners will stay as on the rendering.

I guess I should clarify what I said earlier about the renderings a couple pages back. They were purely conceptual for the NEW tower at 300 Main, which had no plans.

They were accurate for the existing tower, which likely was mostly done its plans by that time, considering they started construction shortly after announcement. Actually, Border Glass and Marwest Construction were at the press release so they would have won the bid for the job already, so plans must have been complete.

If you look carefully at some videos and renderings, you can see the silver columns at some lower level corners. It's admittedly hard to spot them though.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 8:53 PM

The silver caps are dull. They should have used red caps.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
No, the corners will stay as on the rendering.

I guess I should clarify what I said earlier about the renderings a couple pages back. They were purely conceptual for the NEW tower at 300 Main, which had no plans.
- So the corners are to remain the same faded golden color then? If so, why would that be the case?

- Also, has anyone else noticed the little hat/topper that first appeared for the conceptual renderings of 201 Portage has found its way to the top of the 360 Main tower? Ray Wan will get his hat one way or another.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
- So the corners are to remain the same faded golden color then? If so, why would that be the case?

- Also, has anyone else noticed the little hat/topper that first appeared for the conceptual renderings of 201 Portage has found its way to the top of the 360 Main tower? Ray Wan will get his hat one way or another.
Sorry, I was unclear again.

Those goose-poop-green corners are getting completely done over. Lower, towards grade level a select few corners have round columns with a new silver finish.

I think the poster earlier suggested he assumed this new SILVER rounded corner was going to be used all the way up. It won't.

These silver round columns are visible in the promotional video, albeit for only a second or so from select vantage points, towards the bottom. But visible... and that's what I meant with as per rendering.

Also, as per rendering, the current rounded goose-poop-green corners will be sharp and clad in lieu of the new design.

I say things in confusing ways sometimes.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:10 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Sorry, I was unclear again.

Those goose-poop-green corners are getting completely done over. Lower, towards grade level a select few corners have round columns with a new silver finish.

I think the poster earlier suggested he assumed this new SILVER rounded corner was going to be used all the way up. It won't.

These silver round columns are visible in the promotional video, albeit for only a second or so from select vantage points, towards the bottom. But visible... and that's what I meant with as per rendering.

Also, as per rendering, the current rounded goose-poop-green corners will be sharp and clad in lieu of the new design.

I say things in confusing ways sometimes.
I was wondering about them as well, but I assumed that they would be addressed once the east facade is done, and then they're going to do the finishing touches to the whole curtain to cover the corners.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:10 PM

Does anyone know if the electrical work on Main St related to the new tower? Seems to be at the right location.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I was wondering about them as well, but I assumed that they would be addressed once the east facade is done, and then they're going to do the finishing touches to the whole curtain to cover the corners.
I think that;s the plan

Nonetheless, it's a totally Winnipeg thing to suddenly, fearfully wonder "oh no, are they gonna leave those corners alone????"

Similar things have happened here haha!

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if the electrical work on Main St related to the new tower? Seems to be at the right location.
Manitoba Hydro has a large number of manholes that they have to rehab the roof and sidewalls in mostly the old Winnipeg Hydro service area before they fall in on themselves.

This could be one of the rehab ones as I would hazard a guess that additional empty duct work was installed years ago to service that complex when Trizec built the first tower.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
I asked the Hydro guy last week about it and he said he didn't know. It's a repair of the existing structure. He said the repair would continue until about May 14th and a bit longer maybe because Hydro was not paying any over-time and the work was limited to 8 hours a day.

Edit: I just checked the lane closure site and the work is not scheduled to end until June 9th.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:55 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
That building is going to look great when it's done. So glad the boring beige colour will be gone.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Exciting times....300 Main coming right up!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

It's been a long time coming! For a while it felt like our skyline might remain frozen in time for decades to come... seeing the ground (roof?) break on this project will really be something else.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I walk by the site to/from work everyday and am just chomping at the bit to see something happening!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan