HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
People keep making the mistake of saying things like "Skytrain is expensive" (compared to the implied "LRT is cheap") when it isn't really the vehicles or technology that cost the money but rather the grade separation of the track. Grade-separated always costs more, regardless of vehicle type, but it brings a ton of benefits as well.
Great point. The propulsion and electrification is different between the two, that's about it. For that reason, SkyTrain must be grade separated (please, nobody correct me ), and LRT can be grade separated.

Anyways, I fear that we may be hemming off-topic and the last several posts should be in the transit fantasies thread.

For this "lost" station, I completely agree with the others. It would add too much complexity to the interlining, add far too much cost for the added benefit of just a few people, and overall further inflate Corrigan's ego to the point of possibly encouraging him to start his own army to invade Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 1:19 AM
loafing in lotusland

A bigger loss than this interesting proposal was Maillardville and a North/South Alignment for Lougheed.

The former would have been instead of Braid.
The latter would have had a direct connection to Lougheed Mall and made A trip from Surrey to Coquitlam easier (only 1 transfer). Lougheed would be more of a terminus station until M-Line part 2 came into effect.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
A bigger loss than this interesting proposal was Maillardville and a North/South Alignment for Lougheed.

The former would have been instead of Braid.
The latter would have had a direct connection to Lougheed Mall and made A trip from Surrey to Coquitlam easier (only 1 transfer). Lougheed would be more of a terminus station until M-Line part 2 came into effect.
The loss for the station near Maillardville is due to the opposition of nearby resident, which result in the guideway being placed south of the highway. The original alignment, I believe, was Brunette -> Bernatchey -> Lougheed.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 4:44 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
The loss for the station near Maillardville is due to the opposition of nearby resident, which result in the guideway being placed south of the highway. The original alignment, I believe, was Brunette -> Bernatchey -> Lougheed.
You are right, there was a lot of opposition from the residential neighbourhood that lies between Brunette, Lougheed and the freeway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure