HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:01 AM

Stop F@%^&g around on Google Maps

Ok, honestly, this is really starting to annoy me.

Google maps highway designations in BC keep on changing.

Now highway 99 ceases to be a freeway before it meets the 99 in Richmond, but it should extend all the way to north side of Oak Street Bridge.

Also, highway 91 between the Alex Fraser and New West should also be designated as a freeway.

The 99 just yesterday was displayed as a freeway all the way to Lions Bay, but now it stops before the ferries, when in reality it should extend to the Lawrence Way intersection.

Victoria's 2 short freeway spurs are no longer shown as such but should be, same with the freeway stretch of the Island Highway outside of Qualicum Beach.

Also the freeway stretch east of Kamloops has also been removed (after being re-posted as such only a few weeks ago).

And while I am on it even Knight Street through Richmond could be shown as a freeway.

Honestly, who keeps fucking around with Google Maps? I have a feeling it is some troll that has been on here before who has a vendetta against BC"S highways.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I've noticed the freeway status constantly changing for BC highways too, and I'm also very irritated by it. I don't know why Google would keep changing it back and forth, even if people keep submitting 'corrections'.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 1:09 AM

And some really don't make sense, such as ceasing the 99 freeway status 3 interchanges before it actually ends...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 1:12 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Ok, honestly, this is really starting to annoy me.

Google maps highway designations in BC keep on changing.

Now highway 99 ceases to be a freeway before it meets the 99 in Richmond, but it should extend all the way to north side of Oak Street Bridge.

Also, highway 91 between the Alex Fraser and New West should also be designated as a freeway.

The 99 just yesterday was displayed as a freeway all the way to Lions Bay, but now it stops before the ferries, when in reality it should extend to the Lawrence Way intersection.

Victoria's 2 short freeway spurs are no longer shown as such but should be, same with the freeway stretch of the Island Highway outside of Qualicum Beach.

Also the freeway stretch east of Kamloops has also been removed (after being re-posted as such only a few weeks ago).

And while I am on it even Knight Street through Richmond could be shown as a freeway.

Honestly, who keeps fucking around with Google Maps? I have a feeling it is some troll that has been on here before who has a vendetta against BC"S highways.
Get in there and fix it then and tell the troll to take a hike! We're proud of our mini-freeways dammit!!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:41 AM

You people can't be effing serious.

Only on SSP

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:45 AM

Why are you surprised by this? It literally changes every week n google maps, and yes, as someone who is GIS certified (just graduated, yay!) I do get bothered by cartographic errors.

Many of the architectural aspects that drive you to constantly complain are just as trivial and anal as this

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:04 AM

But you seem to take it so personally! "A vendetta against BC's highways"??

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:29 AM

No there is an internet troll that does have a vendetta against BC highways, he was banned from this site twice over the past 5 years and was also banned from SSC before coming back again. He was the one who continuously complained about jersey barriers and even made bizarre comments such as how the concrete in the new Port Mann Bridge pillars was miss-matched in colour, and therefor again equalling terrible BC highways (even though the concrete was just still bleeding moisture having been recently poured) etc...

I would honestly not put it past him to be obsessed enough to downgrade as many sections of BC highway as possible in Google Maps.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:47 AM

Oh look... there's a survivor called the Golden Ears Bridge...

(anticipates seeing it get downgraded next)

But anyway, the Oak Street Bridge south approach definitely appears to be an error and should be fixed. All the others, though... I'm reluctant to classify them as freeways (even if they have higher than normal speed limits) unless the province calls them such. That's just me though.

And before you prematurely flame me, I'm not the one wasting time with trivial edits like these... and I find them rather unhelpful, too.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:57 AM

Yeah, the Knight Street can stay as is, but the 99 should be extended as freeway to Lawrence Way (seeing how between there and where they have it stop now is completely divided with 2 full interchanges and no other access points) and same with the spur of the 91 between the Alex Fraser and New West.

These are the rules they seem to follow ever where else in designating freeways (they end when they meet the first at grade intersection, not several interchanges before as they are doing on the BC maps).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:04 AM

I could be wrong, but I was always under the assumption that one person can't just edit things on google maps. But that the changes need to be approved.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:07 AM

Thats what I though as well, but they keep on changing highways in BC weekly. Sometimes the SFPR is a freeway, sometimes its not, the two short freeways in Victoria use to be shown proper as freeways, then they disappeared, then only part of one showed up for a while, now it is gone, etc... so now I have no idea what is going on there. this is not happening anywhere else that I have seen.

For example, the #1 east of Kamloops for about 20km (where it has interchanges) was also recently listed as a freeway a few weeks ago, now it is not again...

And for no reason the northern end of the 99 is now gone as a freeway...

I know this is a trivial thing but it has been going on for over 6 months now, if not longer, and as someone who uses google maps a lot it is annoying and incorrect.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 6:44 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

They must be in the process of some ongoing editing; I have noticed certain odd changes recently in other areas as well. Manitoba has no freeways at all according to the map right now, and I don't think that is actually the case.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 11:45 AM

Anyone can submit edits for approval at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:10 PM
life in the present

I edited HWY 99 from 91 to the OSB in map editor last night. Still awaiting approval by Google. If anyone has the time, go to Google Maps, click on 'report a problem', click 'road and street' and edit away or as as GeeCee mentioned simply go to Google Mapmaker and take care of the rest. I'll do some more next week.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:24 PM
life in the present

UPDATE : Just noticed HWY 99, 91-OSB is now a freeway again ( perhaps it was my edit ) and HWY 91A, 91 to Queensborough is also a full freeway again!! Woot!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:48 PM

Umm... Just looking at it now, and either it got changed back, or the changes you made were local and still have to be synced with Google.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:32 PM
(daka_x)

I've been playing around with Google Maps Maker, but I haven't touched the highways - mostly bike routes in my local area. I agree with you that some of the designations are ridiculous... like 96th Ave west of Route 15. It was never a "regional highway" and, while there indeed was an expansion there lately, the purpose of the designation is not very clear. In the case of 96th, however, it was already "discussed" between some of the mappers. Not sure what's with the variability of these highways.

I'm looking at Golden Ears Way right now, and its freeway status is also probably going to disappear soon. It's been marked as a "regional highway" in priority rather than "expressway" or "freeway".

Some guy named "Dewey" is changing all of these freeways into regular highways.

connect2source: by the way, the freeway statuses do not seem visible in actual maps yet, though I see it in map maker view (edits are pending at the moment).

Last edited by xd_1771; Jul 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I've been playing around with Google Maps Maker, but I haven't touched the highways - mostly bike routes in my local area. I agree with you that some of the designations are ridiculous... like 96th Ave west of Route 15. It was never a "regional highway" and, while there indeed was an expansion there lately, the purpose of the designation is not very clear. In the case of 96th, however, it was already "discussed" between some of the mappers. Not sure what's with the variability of these highways.

I'm looking at Golden Ears Way right now, and its freeway status is also probably going to disappear soon. It's been marked as a "regional highway" in priority rather than "expressway" or "freeway".

connect2source: by the way, the freeway statuses do not seem visible in actual maps yet, though I see it in map maker view (edits are pending at the moment).
I think there might be a difference of opinion according to "regional significance" of a route and "technical specifications."

For example, Knight Street operates as an "alternate" route into Vancouver, and while only 4km in length (longer than some "interstates") is still divided with a 80km/h limit and full interchanges.

Also, google needs another colour to denote the difference between an arterial / expressway / freeway, like openstreetmap, which could solve a lot of this bickering.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
They must be in the process of some ongoing editing; I have noticed certain odd changes recently in other areas as well. Manitoba has no freeways at all according to the map right now, and I don't think that is actually the case.
by US or Canadian standards, I wonder. (more on this)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Anyone can submit edits for approval at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
UPDATE : Just noticed HWY 99, 91-OSB is now a freeway again ( perhaps it was my edit ) and HWY 91A, 91 to Queensborough is also a full freeway again!! Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

>>>>>>>
This might or might not be because Google, being American, defines freeways as US Interstate 8-lane standards. If this has any influence at at all or not, please correct me. >>>>>>>>>

maybe similar reason as above

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure