HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:04 PM

If that proposed Station District development comes to full fruition that will be a nice use of the land along the railroad tracks. Ii should create a nice visual as you travel along the west side of the CBR. The massing will be really nice especially when you add in the already planned and approved developments in the Gulch between Broadway and Demonbreun. It may even provide some nice views traveling towards the city on I-65.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:00 PM

Counter broken?

I noticed that the counter in the number of posts does not seem to ever change anymore. Is this inoperable?

Oh, I see it does work. Oops. Never mind.

Last edited by Baronakim; Feb 1, 2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Abject ignorance

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:32 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Well it's Thursday, so just out of the blue.....thanks to Urban Planet...

Developers announce a four tower development with 30+ story residential and hotels to be constructed in several phases.

From the NASHVILLE POST...

Phase 1 will be 31 stories and is announced to start in September, 2019.

Nashville is hot, hot, hot!!!

Bumping up to new page for reference.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:49 PM

My first attempt at a diagram....

The proposed Paramount Building in downtown/65 stories/750 ft.

When I have time to figure out the pixel thing, then maybe I will post on the diagrams pages.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 4:08 PM

Paramount

Paramount proposal looks cool, just wish it had more of a crest. I think the primary feature of the AT & T is the spires and those spire define the Nashville skyline. Everything else is Nashville is rather flat on the top. Love to see a Chrysler building style top on a Nashville building.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinewatcher615 View Post
Paramount proposal looks cool, just wish it had more of a crest. I think the primary feature of the AT & T is the spires and those spire define the Nashville skyline. Everything else is Nashville is rather flat on the top. Love to see a Chrysler building style top on a Nashville building.
I agree. I'd even be happy with an angular top like Citigroup in NYC or Crain Communications in Chicago. Even doing intersecting arches would be a decent break in the skyline, especially if they are lit at night. Just something other than horizontal lines. I wish the Pinnacle Bldg was taller because just the slight curve in the top would stand out more. The Marriott has added a new dimension but it's only apparent from certain angles.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:15 PM

Smile Diagrams

Quote:
My first attempt at a diagram....

The proposed Paramount Building in downtown/65 stories/750 ft.

When I have time to figure out the pixel thing, then maybe I will post on the diagrams pages.
MidTenn1, it looks great. There are so many other new buildings in Nashville that need diagrams as well. Bridgestone, Marriott, and 222 building to name a few.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:38 PM

^ Great job MidTenn1-that's gorgeous!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:30 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinewatcher615 View Post
Love to see a Chrysler building style top on a Nashville building.
I'm not trying to be a pot-stirrer but BRING BACK SIGNATURE TOWER!

Honestly though, this looks like it'll be a beautiful building. Considering 505 was shrunk and value-redesigned a bit, I'm glad this will likely be the actual Giarratana tower that tops the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:42 PM

The Paramount will definitely be a game and skyline changer. Maybe it will show that this large a building can work and maybe we will see more.

However, we have risen above the 20 story ceiling with several buildings at 30+ including the 40 story 151 First Ave scheduled to start soon and the recently opened 45 story 505CST downtown.

It's not my Grandfather's city anymore.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I'm not trying to be a pot-stirrer but BRING BACK SIGNATURE TOWER!

Honestly though, this looks like it'll be a beautiful building. Considering 505 was shrunk and value-redesigned a bit, I'm glad this will likely be the actual Giarratana tower that tops the skyline.
Some people think that Signature Tower would look dated today. I totally disagree with them. I would still love to see Signature Tower built at its original height which I believe was 70 stories. I think the Paramount will be a great addition to the Nashville skyline simply because of its height and to some degree the design. But the styling of Signature Tower would easily make it the new iconic building of Nashville. I also think it would cause other developers to introduce buildings with more visual interest.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
The Paramount will definitely be a game and skyline changer. Maybe it will show that this large a building can work and maybe we will see more.

However, we have risen above the 20 story ceiling with several buildings at 30+ including the 40 story 151 First Ave scheduled to start soon and the recently opened 45 story 505CST downtown.

It's not my Grandfather's city anymore.
I don't know how old your grandfather is but at 56, it's not my city any longer.... Okay, I know technically I'm grandfather age but that's besides the point... I was 38 when I left Nashville for the DC Metro area in the fall of 2000. Nashville hadn't seen any real activity for high rises since the AT&T Bldg (formerly BellSouth) was completed in 1994. I believe the newest structure in downtown was the Hilton on Demonbreun. SoBro was just a name. Not a destination area. The Gulch wasn't even a thought. Midtown was seeing some growth. But that was it. No one would have imagined virtually every part of Nashville changing and growing as it has since then. Especially in past five years. I'm hoping it will continue. I'm hoping I'll be around to see Nashville with a completed 65+ story building.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:52 PM

I have to agree with the sentiments of several of you who have spoken out about the positive aspects of having an iconic building such as the Signature Tower would have been. People don't get tired of looking at classic skyscraper architecture and The Chrysler Building is a perfect example. It's something that becomes a symbol of a city by the sheer boldness and originality of its design. The box shaped buildings are common all over the world and I feel that when a developer is going to build a very large structure in a city that the importance of the design becomes even more significant if it dominates the skyline. You don't get those chances very often and you need to make the most of them. We all know that the economics of a big project plays an important role in what the developer can or cannot afford at the time of construction but when you think in terms of many decades in the future I have no doubt that the notoriety and status of a classic skyscraper that eventually tends to symbolize a city will clearly be seen as a good investment while the bland box design that seemed like it was a good business move when it was built will tend to become an eyesore as newer and fresher structures pop up around it which will affect its long term value as businesses or tenants eventually want to move to a classier building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:13 PM

Work stoppage on W due to flooding

Looked out my window and saw that the torrential deluge yesterday had flooded the W hotel excavation somewhat. Several of the large pieces of excavation equipment were semi-submerged and probably will have to be replaced. At any rate, there was no work going on there this morning. The lower parking level at Gulch Crossing also flooded, knocking out the parking level elevators. That happens when you put garages 30 or so feet below street level here in the Gulch. Anyone see how the hole at the old Lake Palmer site fared?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Looked out my window and saw that the torrential deluge yesterday had flooded the W hotel excavation somewhat. Several of the large pieces of excavation equipment were semi-submerged and probably will have to be replaced. At any rate, there was no work going on there this morning. The lower parking level at Gulch Crossing also flooded, knocking out the parking level elevators. That happens when you put garages 30 or so feet below street level here in the Gulch. Anyone see how the hole at the old Lake Palmer site fared?

You would think the contractor would be prepared for that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:43 PM

I see from my office window that the Gulch Union site is today setting formwork centering for the floor level slab at Demonbreum Street on walls they have formed in the past weeks or so. Soon we will see the frame rising above street levels. I also see that the deep excavation for the W underground parking looks like it may be going deeper than the flat area I thought was to be the bottom. Blasting this week though has broken this plane up well beyond what I would have expected for things like elevator pits and footings. Does anyone know how many subgrade levels for parking are planned?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:04 PM

Second tower crane being erected today at Gulch Union site.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:23 PM

It's official; Amazon has withdrawn their plans for a New York City headquarters. Amazon also announced they do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search.

Quote:
We do not intend to reopen the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada," according to the statement.

Nashville Mayor David Briley quickly issued a statement on Thursday, assuring his constituents that Amazon's plans for an operations center that will bring 5,000 jobs are still in place with no connection to New York.
I would think that this could only help Nashville's chances to expand on the Amazon Operations Center of Excellence with 5,000 jobs already in preliminary construction.

However, FOX Business News is reporting that Tennessee is 'very interested' in Amazon HQ2.

Quote:
Although Amazon said the hunt for a second headquarters is off for now, some Tennessee lawmakers would be happy to swoop in and work with the e-commerce giant.

“We would be very interested in working with Amazon in any way possible,” Bob Rolfe, commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, told FOX Business on Tuesday before Amazon's announcement.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
It's official; Amazon has withdrawn their plans for a New York City headquarters. Amazon also announced they do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search.

I would think that this could only help Nashville's chances to expand on the Amazon Operations Center of Excellence with 5,000 jobs already in preliminary construction.

However, FOX Business News is reporting that Tennessee is 'very interested' in Amazon HQ2.

That would be awesome if Nashville could land more or all of the 25k jobs. Would love to see it happen and them push those towers up to the 500 ft or taller range.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceburt2 View Post
That would be awesome if Nashville could land more or all of the 25k jobs. Would love to see it happen and them push those towers up to the 500 ft or taller range.
Will not happen, Nash is still too small and has 0 transit, Atlanta makes and made more sense than most of the cities on the original second list. I love Nash though, dont jump on me...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations