HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
"rational thought process," says the man riding a bike in the nude or close to it lol (not judging btw). Both Jdawg and you are right but I would think that most of the local businesses would benefit. For example, the barber you speak of. Wouldn't some visitors from out of town need a haircut too? It may not be the normal clientele but business is business. If I remeber right JAM has a business downtown, maybe it is a business that has no way to make money during that time maybe just because of the nature of his business...
No, ours is in the burbs. Unfortunately, downtown really doesn't cater to our type of business. If you go DT, go food or bar, anything else is just going against the grain. Have you seen how many biz on 2nd street have failed. Its just not quite ready yet... Anyone who says otherwise is welcome to go plop down the bucks and try it. We try to capitalize on SXSW, but over all, it doesn't impact us much. But it does make it hard to get home or leave the house for a few weeks. Last year, one day it actually took me 45 minutes to get on to I-35, which typically takes me 5 minutes. And getting home can be a 2 hour process, which normally takes 1 hour or less. Wish there was convenient mass - transit to take. I'd be all for it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderlychaos View Post
It's not anti- sxsw. It's just about knowing the true cost of something. Everything as an upside for someone, and a downside for someone else. So questioning the cost of something is not advocating the abolition of it. Just look at transportation funding in roads versus public transport, factory conditions in workers versus cheap products, or industrial farming in animal conditions versus food for people. Everything has a cost. Sxsw has costs. Lots of benefits, but not for everyone. It's better to know that than to pretend they're not there. My barber is downtown. He has to close for the majority of sxsw because his customers can't get to him or they perceive that they can't get to him. He loses more than a week's business every year. He deals with it. Should sxsw be closed down because of the cost of his lost revenue that week? No. But we should know that not everyone benefits from sxsw. It does cost some people and businesses a lot, and has no benefits to them. It's looking at the world we exist in with a rational thought process.
Well said Orderly, perfect example of businesses that suffer due to it.....

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
~Hook'em~

Sure it is an inconvenience for a few for a week, and may cost some lost revenue for that week. But you have to weight that against it being the whole year in one week for many thousands of other people. Like the Holidays is for Retail, SXSW is for many others.

There is also another thing to think about. Just to get outside of our bubbles, but outside of just us here in Austin. What SXSW is to the industries it involves. It is a major event, and the biggest event of its kind for some, in many industries. It has helped (lead even) innovation, growth and change in those industries. They need events like SXSW, and where else can something like SX be put on? If it doesn't happen in Austin it will happen elsewhere. Because in today's world it is something that is very much needed.

Which reminds me, any city in the world would kill for South By. NYC would love to have South By there, to add to their Fashion Week and other similar big event weeks. Side note: South By even has its own, though much MUCH smaller, Fashion Week during SXSW in Style X. And while ya it is only like 1:1 billionth the size of Fashion Week, it has been a key part in bringing fashion and several designers to move to Austin.

SXSW is important to lots of people. While yes it is especially important to many in Austin, its importance isn't just limited to those of us from Austin. Sure some in Austin it is an inconvenience and causes some lost revenue, but weighed against what it does for some many others it is very much worth it. And there are very few places that could put on a SXSW like Austin can. Where else in the world can you fit over 2,000 bands to put on shows in such a small area like Austin's DT? Not to many other places that can be accomplished, and accomplished in a safe way. And yet Austin does make it almost seem easy. lol.

Last edited by BevoLJ; Feb 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:37 AM

ya, SXSW is great. I can pretty much pick up an newspaper or Google that info and read how great it is. IMHO talking about how great it is doesn't really lead to an interesting discussion. That's why I talked on another point. Here's a few more to rattle some cages: How about the countless pollution caused by it, and environmental damage done. Where are all the treehuggers when it comes to SXSW or any other event we have in this city. Think of all the extra smog it produces from traffic. All the beer cups that end up in Lady Bird Lake. All the pregnant girls. (Fathers, lock up your daughters, SXSW is coming! LOL, OK now I'm just getting silly) What about all the horrible musicians and actors that get inspired by it, and think they are going to start a career in the business and end up on the dole because they have no talent. OMG!!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
ya, SXSW is great. I can pretty much pick up an newspaper or Google that info and read how great it is. IMHO talking about how great it is doesn't really lead to an interesting discussion. That's why I talked on another point. Here's a few more to rattle some cages: How about the countless pollution caused by it, and environmental damage done. Where are all the treehuggers when it comes to SXSW or any other event we have in this city. Think of all the extra smog it produces from traffic. All the beer cups that end up in Lady Bird Lake. All the pregnant girls. (Fathers, lock up your daughters, SXSW is coming! LOL, OK now I'm just getting silly) What about all the horrible musicians and actors that get inspired by it, and think they are going to start a career in the business and end up on the dole because they have no talent. OMG!!!
give me a break. you may just be joking but this is not even close to rattling a puppy's cage.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 6:02 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post

Perhaps they could discuss how horrible SXSW is for the environment at the SXSW Eco Conference?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post

Perhaps they could discuss how horrible SXSW is for the environment at the SXSW Eco Conference?
Ha ha, that is ironic. I can just see them all now, pulling up in their living room sized SUV's for valet service because their too lazy to walk from the train.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 6:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

JAM I know what you mean and I do see your point. But given all the positives versus negatives, there is no doubt SXSW is a major asset to Austin and yes people leave town during SXSW but some people try to leave for any major event we have like for example ACL Fest. There are always going to be people who do not like big events. Im assuming they had no other choice but to live in Austin but my opinion on them is they might as well live in a little town that nothing ever happens in. You bring in all the side effects of SXSW but there are side effects to every major event in Austin. Traffic will always be bad during major events there will be more air pollution during these times. The only way that is going to change are the people themselves finding alternate ways Downtown. Austin may not have many mass transportation options, but there are ways to get around.

A very interesting thing to watch is we will be witnessing two massive events this year with Formula One's U.S. Debut, that is the one we need to look at closely as we will be on our training wheels and trying to figure out how to manage this event which is a totally different monster from SXSW. There will be new problems and issues we will have to deal with very suddenly. SXSW was not the same way as it started small and has taken it 26 years to get where it is today and while it is still a learning process for the city to continue to adapt to its ever growing presence, we will not have that chance with Formula One.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:35 AM

Totally agree on SXSW Jdawgboy. Yes, there are always ways to get around. I prefer taxis, trains, bikes, and feet, although those two wheel lean-into-thinga-ma-jobs look pretty fun. Oh, and I've been wanting one of those electric scooter things for a while too! Yes, Formula one will be a sight to behold. Glad to be a part of it. Maybe we'll even be lucky enough to see the cars on the track!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:06 PM

It's always funny and a little sad to see the many people and businesses act like they're caught off guard by SXSW year after year. Plan ahead, think rationally. I cannot believe how many downtown offices attempt a week of business as usual during this event.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 8:49 PM
~Hook'em~

I'll try to put up a list of cool free shows and parties/events when we get closer to SXSW.

Here is this weeks update.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:55 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
It's always funny and a little sad to see the many people and businesses act like they're caught off guard by SXSW year after year. Plan ahead, think rationally. I cannot believe how many downtown offices attempt a week of business as usual during this event.
That's what business want. If they can't get it, they will move their offices away.
The last thing Austin should be doing is running corporations away.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:23 PM

All of the big events downtown are what makes Austin an attractive place to the masses that continue to move here. But the downtown street closures due to big events are getting ridiculous to those of us who work downtown. I strongly support closures for events like SxSW, Pecan Street Festival, etc. but not for all the races/marathons/parades. I almost wish my company would move to the 'burbs.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
That's what business want. If they can't get it, they will move their offices away.
The last thing Austin should be doing is running corporations away.
Austin is not running corporations away and fact is they get over it once SXSW is over so yea your right, if they don't like it they don't have to have their offices in Downtown, but they do because they like to be Downtown and more companies are moving into Downtown so SXSW is not running anybody out.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Austin is not running corporations away and fact is they get over it once SXSW is over so yea your right, if they don't like it they don't have to have their offices in Downtown, but they do because they like to be Downtown and more companies are moving into Downtown so SXSW is not running anybody out.
Its unlikely that any big corporation is going to base setting up in downtown because SXSW is here unless it what they do is inline with their business. Hi-Tech companies for example, and in general, have nothing to do with SXSW. If anything, SXSW would cost them lost millions due to productivity issues associated with payroll expenses and other intangibles (slipped schedules, etc). It would provide them yet another reason, not to come downtown (among many other ones too). Case in point, we have seen a lot of hi-tech companies come to Austin or expand in Austin metro over the years, but a small fraction of them are actually located downtown. You're going to need more reasons than SXSW to base your decision on moving downtown.

If you're in the food and beverage / hospitality / retail industry, that is a whole nother story. These industries typically provide lower paying jobs. There is a fine balance between having good entertainment in a city and having too much entertainment. An over abundance of low paying jobs doesn't make for a thriving city. For example :

http://nycprogressives.com/progressi...w-yorkers-act/
http://blogs.reuters.com/reuters-mon...u-s-jobs-plan/

Last edited by JAM; Feb 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
~Hook'em~

Most of Austin's high tech don't operate DT because they are manufacturing. It is a bit silly to expect a large manufacturing plant to open downtown. For software it is a good mix of both. There are tons of software and gaming companies DT. Tons of them up north too. Even some down south. But to suggest they don't have a presence DT is ridiculous.

And from what I have seen there has been a lot more movement from the burbs to DT than the other direction (honestly can't think of any notable ones moving out the past couple years, which is a lifetime in terms of Austin). A couple notable ones moving DT being, Richard Garriott just moved his company from Westlake near Pennybacker on 360 to Congress in DT. Cirrus Logic is building a new HQ on 6th across from Huts and moving DT. And Cirrus is R&D. That is a very surprising company to move DT to me. Usually companies like Cirrus are always out in the burbs. That one would even think of operating in a DT speaks volumes to how special Austin is. And as far as I can remember, in the many decades that Garriott has been making companies in Austin this is the first time he has ever operated DT (not counting out of his dorm at UT obviously).

Last edited by BevoLJ; Feb 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Most of Austin's high tech don't operate DT because they are manufacturing.
I really don't think this is true. Any manufacturing in Austin has a pretty small workforce. Most of the hi-tech companies with large work forces have little to no manufacturing. And even if they do, there is nothing preventing them from moving or keeping it offsite from the main engineering offices. The plain cold hard facts are, most people want to live in the burbs, not smack DT, and they want a short commute to work. Have any stats available on the manufacturing?

yes, was thrilled to see Cirrus move downtown, in fact, just rode my bike past their bldg yesterday. Its coming along quite nicely, can't believe no one here has take photos. I was going to grab some with my phone on the way back and forgot....

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:08 AM
Rundberg & I35

SXSW basically starts one Friday evening and ends the next Sunday night. It only affects a normal business 5 days...one Monday-Friday work week. That's not that big of a deal. Getting into downtown in the morning, even in the height of SXSW is really not that hard. People in New York, Boston, or LA would laugh at this morning traffic. It

does start to get dicy in the evenings... but still I would have a hard time imagining a business moving out of downtown because of this one event. The people watching alone should make up for it!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:13 PM
~Hook'em~

They are doing one of those apps for Austin that they did for Central Park and D.C. The one where as you walk around the GPS on your for makes music it plays change. Pretty cool. =)

http://www.bluebra.in/

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
~Hook'em~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin