HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Crown Las Vegas in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Las Vegas Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 8:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i have now cleaned up all of the off-topic, vs. BS from this thread. anyone who continues with the city vs. city nonsense WILL be getting suspended. if you don't want to talk about LVT, then get the hell outta this thread.

there will be no further warnings.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtown420 View Post
Maybe it’s for a sales office? They still have to excavate the ruins of Wet n' Wild, so it will be a long time before we see actual construction of the tower.

We still have to wait until May 2nd to see if it gets FAA approval.
So is the plan still to build an 1888' tower and all the supporting stuff (assuming they get FAA approval)?

What hurdles are left after the FAA? Are they funded, own 100% of the land, etc.?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 7:59 PM

The entire LV Tower site has now been paved over.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:50 PM

^Umm, what's the point of that? I understand that certain paved areas on any construction site are necessary for moving equipment and storing construction sheds and whatnot, but what's the point of covering the entire site?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVegas View Post
well the building is still in very early stages and i'm sure the space is needed for construction/ parking elsewhere for the time being rather than just sit there as an open field only fill up with used condoms and empty beer bottles.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 12:58 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Now it's going to be a staging parking lot for construction filled with used condoms and empty beer bottles.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:22 AM

That half of the site isn't regular pavement, it's some sort of oily gravel, look at those tire tracks. I'm guessing it's just to cut down on dust which is a real problem around here. I'm also guessing that Fontainebleau is paying for it since parts for their tower cranes were over there last time I went by, and those trailers look like the same type as some other trailers on the Fontainebleau site and there are also piles of Fontainebleau rebar to the right of those trailers in the photo, all on the LVT lot.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:59 AM
Registirred User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I would honestly consider suicide if thewtb was in Vegas.
..Well judging by the latest events, I guess you better keep that rope handy..

jk

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:12 AM
Desert Dweller

This tower better not be built. Ugh so ugly!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVegas View Post
There are enough cranes in that photo to keep Vegas busy. Meanwhile, I don't really have faith in this one
getting built. But stranger things have happened.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 1:49 PM
Not far from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There are enough cranes in that photo to keep Vegas busy.
With the submissions I've seen of Vegas construction lately, it reminds me of Beijing when I visited in '05. Lots of cranes, lots of steel.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 11:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLG Allstar View Post
the thing looks hideous in my mind, i would hate to see that thing everytime i fly out to vegas, being 4-6 times a year. Lets hope they redesign this 1.
hate seeing that everytime you fly here? give me a break. having grown up here in vegas it's refreshing to see vegas finally catching on to "bigger city ideas". for years the construction here has destroyed the natural wild life in and around the valley due to "spreading out" instead of "spreading up". it is great to finally see a building plan that goes up instead of having to destroy miles of the city/lands/history for another boxy, monstrosity of a project. sorry if it effects the views of many of the tourists, but it's not like any of them visit the actual city here anyway. locals should be happy to have something else add to the economy of this city and tourists should be happier that they have another single building to spend their vacations in. one even larger than the rest so you'll never have to leave the comfort of the tower to actually visit the city.

go vegas tower.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 12:15 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal View Post
hate seeing that everytime you fly here? give me a break. having grown up here in vegas it's refreshing to see vegas finally catching on to "bigger city ideas". for years the construction here has destroyed the natural wild life in and around the valley due to "spreading out" instead of "spreading up". it is great to finally see a building plan that goes up instead of having to destroy miles of the city/lands/history for another boxy, monstrosity of a project. sorry if it effects the views of many of the tourists, but it's not like any of them visit the actual city here anyway. locals should be happy to have something else add to the economy of this city and tourists should be happier that they have another single building to spend their vacations in. one even larger than the rest so you'll never have to leave the comfort of the tower to actually visit the city.

go vegas tower.
I agree wholeheartedly!!! Within the next 10 years we will be seeing a lot more development upward rather than outward. The edges of the metro area are already at the edge of the mountains. Also, it is great to see so far over the last few years that Vegas is finally growing up with multiple projects getting taller and taller as each one is announced. Someday the Stratosphere will not be lonely, if anything it will have several neighbors just as big as well as bigger!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:17 AM

As for the paved parking lot - I don't think construction will start for many, many months - and it is possible they will just lease it out for parking/storage for a while. Nothing like making money with a lot you own, but are still preparing!

That is a piss-poor paving job, obviously not there for the long term (and no curbs or anything)

I say this with the opposite hopes - there is NO way this tower will be built. By that I mean I desperately want it, and really hope they build it. Its not that I find it particularly attractive, its just cool, and as a Nevadian, I support a 1900' skyscraper in my state!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:19 PM

I watched them bring in the recycled blacktop - looks like dark gravel. They spread it out with a grader and then steam rolled it flat. Then they came in with a couple of tar spraying trucks. I'm sure it's a very cheap and efficient method for temporary staging for Fontainebleau. Not sure, but that concrete pad on the left may be there as part of Fontainebleau's temporary concrete plant they are going to build on site.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:27 PM

^^^^ so if Miliam obtains the final approvals from the County and FAA and wants to start construction i guess Fountainbleu will have to move it's concrete plant and use another site as a staging area ?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:42 PM

It's back on the planning agenda for this Wednesday, Item 29. Doesn't look like any changes have been submitted.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:18 AM
millard fillmore

it vaguely reminds me of gaudi's proposal for a supertall hotel in new york, though his was clearly shaped like a rocket.

i'm wondering how on earth they might fund this tower if so man others have been canceled from astronomical construction costs and the robust community of flippers and speculators that seem to cause more busts than booms. something like this would cost far more per square foot than so many of the other canceled projects.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoen313 View Post
it vaguely reminds me of gaudi's proposal for a supertall hotel in new york, though his was clearly shaped like a rocket.
Had to google that. This one?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 7:03 PM
Puyo!

^^^Look like a Giant Ghost in the town!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive