HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshdodd View Post
The problem with Dallas has always been Dallas. I don't know why but Dallas has never had a good reputation for road maintenance. Dallas' current road infrastructure is largely obsolete and desperately needs an upgrade. Many of these roads were built 70-80 years ago. Seriously. Most of them were never designed for the loads and amount of cars they carry on a daily. Dallas has an amazing skyline with amazing buildings. But from the ground, the conditions o the streets really just takes so much away from the city. Something also needs to be done about all of the open wires hanging over the streets. The city needs to start burying all power lines around the core.
Austin's road surfaces are just about as bad. Traveling around the country, I find the same problem in most of the large cities. The funds just aren't available and residents don't want to pay for it. Some of the worst are in L.A., and up north, it's just a way of life because of the freeze-thaw cycles. The only place I've been that has pretty much consistently good surfaces is Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:40 AM

They have actually completely built a few streets around my area as major underground infrastructure projects have taken place. There are also a lot of "road diet" projects going on in this process. There is some hope, but it seems to be starting in smaller scope so far.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:12 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Austin's road surfaces are just about as bad. Traveling around the country, I find the same problem in most of the large cities. The funds just aren't available and residents don't want to pay for it. Some of the worst are in L.A., and up north, it's just a way of life because of the freeze-thaw cycles. The only place I've been that has pretty much consistently good surfaces is Phoenix.
I disagree. Spending lots of time in both cities, Austin has far fewer potholes and shitty road surfaces than Dallas. Nebraska is up north and actually has nice roads.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:39 PM

Stay on topic, guys.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:50 AM

I don't understand. Discussing Dallas' roads is on topic.

Last edited by jshdodd; Apr 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:03 PM

New tower on the drawing board for Dallas' huge Lincoln Centre project

Quote:
Now Lincoln Centre's owners are proposing construction of a fourth office tower that would be built on the east side of the tollway.

The 390,000-square-foot office project would be the largest such development in that area in more than a decade.
Quote:
Lincoln Centre leasing agents with Cushman & Wakefield have recently been showing details of the planned tower to prospective tenants.
Quote:
The expansion project would also include a multi-level parking garage that would replace surface parking on the northwest side of the property, according to plans for the development.
Project Location

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:41 PM

From an outsiders perpective:

Dallas needs to revamp its downtown, bad. Take care of blight, crime, and make the area more attractive. Where I live, Norfolk, our city took hold of this idea and now there are always apartment buildings getting built(3 as of now, remember, smaller city though) and the amount of ped traffic seems to be increasing year over year. Dallas has something we will never have, a huge rail network. Dallas needs to try and entice developers to make apartments and houses near the stations.

However, until downtown has a nice redo.....they don't have much need to hop on the train.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
From an outsiders perpective:

Dallas needs to revamp its downtown, bad. Take care of blight, crime, and make the area more attractive. Where I live, Norfolk, our city took hold of this idea and now there are always apartment buildings getting built(3 as of now, remember, smaller city though) and the amount of ped traffic seems to be increasing year over year. Dallas has something we will never have, a huge rail network. Dallas needs to try and entice developers to make apartments and houses near the stations.

However, until downtown has a nice redo.....they don't have much need to hop on the train.
this is already happening.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:09 PM

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:23 PM

Architects will ponder new uses for old Dallas Morning News building

Quote:
As part of that plan, the media company is asking award-winning architect GFF to study potential reuse and redevelopment of the property at Young and Houston streets.
Quote:
GFF, which also worked on the recent restoration of nearby Dealey Plaza, has had experience repurposing old buildings. The firm was the original architect on redevelopment of the historic Old Parkland Hospital building in Oak Lawn.
Quote:
"The parking garage is a significant asset that could support many different redevelopment scenarios," Fulton said. "As such, we anticipate our evaluation will also include assessments of its expansion potential, both vertical and horizontal."

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:18 PM

Why is the crescent shaped building in the Lincoln Center marked purple?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshdodd View Post
Why is the crescent shaped building in the Lincoln Center marked purple?
That's the Hilton. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they're wanting to expand the podium. I assume they at least want to connect it via a walkway to the new building the way it connects to the rest of the office towers.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I disagree. Spending lots of time in both cities, Austin has far fewer potholes and shitty road surfaces than Dallas. Nebraska is up north and actually has nice roads.
Deleted my post since we were reminded to stay on topic.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:22 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Construction starts this week on $136 million seniors towers in North Dallas(LINK)
Steve Brown
April 17, 2017

Quote:
Construction will start this week on a two-tower seniors residential development in North Dallas.
Quote:
The $136 million Ventana development is being constructed across the street from NorthPark Center mall at the southwest corner of U.S. Highway 75 and Northwest Highway.

Developer Buckner Senior Living said it plans to start construction on the project Thursday.

Last edited by Thymant; Apr 18, 2017 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 7:20 PM
high five!

Dallas Arts District hotel and condo tower will kick off on Friday
Written by
Steve Brown, Real Estate Editor

Quote:
*After more than a year of planning, developer Craig Hall is ready to start work on a hotel and residential tower at Ross and Leonard Street.

*The planned 25-story tower next door will include luxury condominium homes, a hotel and retail on the ground floor.

*Hall Group plans to break ground on the new tower on Friday. The building will take more than two years to complete.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ll-kick-friday

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 8:01 PM

Hall arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconahey View Post
Dallas Arts District hotel and condo tower will kick off on Friday
Written by
Steve Brown, Real Estate Editor

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ll-kick-friday
I am incredibly excited for this project to kick off!
Does anyone know if the last rendering was altered? Will this be taller than One Arts Plaza?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Patrick View Post
I am incredibly excited for this project to kick off!
Does anyone know if the last rendering was altered? Will this be taller than One Arts Plaza?
Yes. I don't know if this is the height they're going with but it was approved for 440 feet by the FAA at the end of October. One Arts Plaza is like 330 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/WebBlobServlet

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:19 PM

Anyone have an idea what hotel chain will go into the Hall Arts tower and the other new Ross Ave developments?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Yes. I don't know if this is the height they're going with but it was approved for 440 feet by the FAA at the end of October. One Arts Plaza is like 330 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/WebBlobServlet
The article mentioned the same 25 stories as originally planned, so unless plans have changed, they unfortunately won't be getting quite that tall.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:37 AM

Proposed 21-floor Hilton Canopy Hotel for downtown.

Rendering by Mark W. Tiedemann.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations