HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
is there a LINK for Vegas Rail information?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XpressWest

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

all the terminals at lax are modern and functional . . .

ha!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
ha!
If you are going to disagree, at least provide some examples. Which LAX terminal is not functional like LaGuardia? Which one cannot handle modern wide body jets?

The oldest terminal at LAX is T3... which was rebuilt in 1987. And it is the terminal currently in most need of update from an aesthetic standpoint.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
If you are going to disagree, at least provide some examples. Which LAX terminal is not functional like LaGuardia? Which one cannot handle modern wide body jets?

The oldest terminal at LAX is T3... which was rebuilt in 1987. And it is the terminal currently in most need of update from an aesthetic standpoint.
I was addressing the "modern" comment. But since you asked, although the city has poured hundreds of millions into the international terminal (and it is, accordingly, pretty nice), the record is more spotty with regard to the other terminals. Out of necessity, most of the flying I do is on United, so I'll concentrate on those terminals. I keep hearing that they're being "upgraded", but the results aren't evident yet, or at least they weren't last fall which was the last time I had to fly. They are still drab. The services and amenities are awful. But most irritating is the need to walk everywhere. The first moving sidewalk was installed at Love Field in Dallas in 1958 or thereabouts. Moving sidewalks are hardly revolutionary technology. So why don't the United terminals at LAX have them? God help you if you land at the far end of Terminal 8 and have to pick up checked baggage. My point is, there are ways to move people without exhausting them. Maybe United, or whoever is responsible for those disgraces where their planes park, should consider installing some of them.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I was addressing the "modern" comment. But since you asked, although the city has poured hundreds of millions into the international terminal (and it is, accordingly, pretty nice), the record is more spotty with regard to the other terminals. Out of necessity, most of the flying I do is on United, so I'll concentrate on those terminals. I keep hearing that they're being "upgraded", but the results aren't evident yet, or at least they weren't last fall which was the last time I had to fly. They are still drab. The services and amenities are awful. But most irritating is the need to walk everywhere. The first moving sidewalk was installed at Love Field in Dallas in 1958 or thereabouts. Moving sidewalks are hardly revolutionary technology. So why don't the United terminals at LAX have them? God help you if you land at the far end of Terminal 8 and have to pick up checked baggage. My point is, there are ways to move people without exhausting them. Maybe United, or whoever is responsible for those disgraces where their planes park, should consider installing some of them.
Well good news for you (by 2017):
Here's the New Look Coming to LAX's United Airlines Terminal
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...s_terminal.php

No word on the moving sidewalks though...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Well good news for you (by 2017):
Here's the New Look Coming to LAX's United Airlines Terminal
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...s_terminal.php

No word on the moving sidewalks though...
That's because, unaccountably, there aren't going to be any.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 10:31 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I'm sitting in the United terminal as I type this. I don't find it anywhere near as egregious as you've made it out to be, jg6544. Customer service at the check-in desk was very helpful and friendly and security was a breeze. The concourse itself is perfectly clean and air-conditioned, although it's by no means modern.

Bzcat is right in that all it needs is a cosmetic upgrade, although I'd still prefer a brand new terminal. Having said that, those upgrades look very bland and underwhelming. The terminal has lots of potential though.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Aug 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
The "modern" comment was not about aesthetic but functionality. As in the terminal being able to handle the new generation of wide body airplanes and has facilities that people tend to expect - airline lounges that are not overcrowded, WiFi, lots of electrical outlets for charging, variety of food options, logical TSA holding area etc. These things are all missing in LaGuradia... which is "not modern".

The drab appearance in T7 is aesthetic in nature and I agree (in fact I pointed that out) that most terminals need an aesthetic upgrade. Luckily, it is actually happening.

But to address your point about moving walkways, T7/8 is relatively small compare to other airports with mega terminals. LAX doesn't really have those mega terminal complex that takes 30 minutes to walk from end to end. That being said, I think it is a valid observation and perhaps if enough UA flyers complaint, UA will respond. United has a master lease in T7/8 so it is up to them to install moving sidewalk, not LAWA.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 2:15 PM

delete

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:

But to address your point about moving walkways, T7/8 is relatively small compare to other airports with mega terminals. LAX doesn't really have those mega terminal complex that takes 30 minutes to walk from end to end. That being said, I think it is a valid observation and perhaps if enough UA flyers complaint, UA will respond. United has a master lease in T7/8 so it is up to them to install moving sidewalk, not LAWA.
The real problem comes when you have to travel from one end of T7 to the other end of T8. Particularly if you are carrying things, it's a schlep. I suspect the reason they don't install moving walks is that the terminals and connecting walkway are just too narrow.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 2:54 PM

American Airlines to charter flights from LAX to Havana

American Airlines to charter flights from LAX to Havana

By DAINA BETH SOLOMON
LA Times
Aug. 18, 2015

"Flying to Cuba will be getting easier for Angelenos.

Less than a month after the United States resumed diplomatic relations with the island nation, American Airlines said Tuesday that it would begin offering charter flights from Los Angeles to Havana.

Partnering with tour operator Cuba Travel Services, based in Cypress, the airline will offer Saturday flights on Boeing 737s out of Los Angeles International Airport beginning in December. The carrier said it would be the first company to offer nonstop service from the West Coast to Cuba since travel restrictions were loosened this year..."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...817-story.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 10:27 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
The "modern" comment was not about aesthetic but functionality.
But LAX lacks one giant aspect of airport functionality, that being mobility. It's absolutely mind-boggling to think that it's gone this long without an efficient APM system, especially given the sheer amount of people that use the airport on a daily basis. There's no excuse for that.

While I'm ecstatic that this is finally being rectified, I'm equally disappointed that these solutions won't materialize until 2023. But, eventually, it will be nice to siphon all those shuttle buses to the ITF West and have space available for taxi zones.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
But LAX lacks one giant aspect of airport functionality, that being mobility. It's absolutely mind-boggling to think that it's gone this long without an efficient APM system, especially given the sheer amount of people that use the airport on a daily basis. There's no excuse for that.

While I'm ecstatic that this is finally being rectified, I'm equally disappointed that these solutions won't materialize until 2023. But, eventually, it will be nice to siphon all those shuttle buses to the ITF West and have space available for taxi zones.
I agree 100% - I mentioned in my post that LAX terminals are modern but the ground transportation is basically a cluster f@@k.

My wife had to pick up her friends from T5 last Sunday at 9PM, which is peak period at LAX. She told them to walk to T7 Departure so she can take the shortcut in the middle of the horseshoe and use the upper level, which is less congested. Her friends decided they rather not and stayed at T5 Arrival... so my wife had to drive all the way back to TBIT and T4 and around the horseshoe. The trip inside the horseshoe took 45 minutes. Had her friend simply walked 100 yards (probably 5 minutes?), it would have taken only perhaps 15 minutes. The roadway design is completely outdated. Why haven't LAWA separated different mode of traffic is beyond me.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 5:31 PM

My friends who arrive at LAX during rush hour are told to take a cab.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 6:48 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
I agree 100% - I mentioned in my post that LAX terminals are modern but the ground transportation is basically a cluster f@@k.
I know. I just felt like ranting about it after experiencing it a few hours prior.

However, what I will say about the terminals themselves is that they feel too cramped for the amount of passenger traffic flowing through daily; seating and baggage claim carousels are at a premium. Space per capita is noticeably lower than at the other airports that handle a similar amount of travelers. MSC and possibly "Terminal 0" would definitely help to alleviate this congestion.

As for aesthetics, it seems like LAX is always undergoing some sort of construction and/or repair. Too many parts are boarded up and barricaded, which further contributes to the airport's shabby image; it's definitely not a good look.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 7:50 PM
life is good

Quote:

My wife had to pick up her friends from T5 last Sunday at 9PM, which is peak period at LAX. She told them to walk to T7 Departure so she can take the shortcut in the middle of the horseshoe and use the upper level, which is less congested. Her friends decided they rather not and stayed at T5 Arrival... so my wife had to drive all the way back to TBIT and T4 and around the horseshoe. The trip inside the horseshoe took 45 minutes. Had her friend simply walked 100 yards (probably 5 minutes?), it would have taken only perhaps 15 minutes. The roadway design is completely outdated. Why haven't LAWA separated different mode of traffic is beyond me.
Missed a flight a couple days ago due insane LAX backup traffic (still partially our fault, but damn)

Last edited by Eightball; Aug 20, 2015 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 8:59 PM

Quote:

Not discounting what your wife went through, but personally, i have been to LAX over 100 times.. either to pick up or fly out and have NEVER had any issues. ZERO. Hell, i even flew out the day after the shoe bomber and had no issues. I guess i have been extremely lucky

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 1:25 AM

45 minutes in arrivals sounds completely bizarre and exaggerated to me. Ive never experienced anything remotely close to that on either level the scores of times I've been to both at all hours of the day/night during every holiday.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
45 minutes in arrivals sounds completely bizarre and exaggerated to me. Ive never experienced anything remotely close to that on either level the scores of times I've been to both at all hours of the day/night during every holiday.
I never get to the terminal at LAX less than an hour before posted flight time and it's usually more than that. This means allowing at least 45 minutes for what should be a 25 minute drive.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 4:53 AM

Quote:
My friends who arrive at LAX during rush hour are told to take a cab.
Great idea! Take a train. Go for it!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation