HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 4:50 PM

Anyone have any insight as to why the footprint of the foundation is so small given the area of the parcel? The same thing is happening over at Bennett Park. Is this typical? Are there no plans for subterranean levels?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Anyone have any insight as to why the footprint of the foundation is so small given the area of the parcel? The same thing is happening over at Bennett Park. Is this typical? Are there no plans for subterranean levels?
The foundation is more than the mat, which is what you're looking at.

The caissons get tied together with the mat to help evenly distribute loads.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Does anyone have an official truck count?
My source says about 430.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 7:59 PM

Is the other slab they will be pouring about the same size as the one they poured 2 days ago?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Nothing below the matt, at Bennett Park there is already an extensive underground facility NEXT to it. Found it very hard to wrap my head around Aqua having no subterranean levels.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The foundation is more than the mat, which is what you're looking at.

The caissons get tied together with the mat to help evenly distribute loads.
Is this combination of caissons and a thick and heavily reinforced mat a common construction method in Chicago? With the number of, and the various different sizes of the caissons I was surprised to see such a massive mat. If the caissons go to bedrock and the vertical structural elements are tied directly to the caissons the mat seems like overkill. But I also assume that there logical reasons for the mat that I'm not aware of. Something like this mat is not done just for kicks!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Is this combination of caissons and a thick and heavily reinforced mat a common construction method in Chicago? With the number of, and the various different sizes of the caissons I was surprised to see such a massive mat. If the caissons go to bedrock and the vertical structural elements are tied directly to the caissons the mat seems like overkill. But I also assume that there logical reasons for the mat that I'm not aware of. Something like this mat is not done just for kicks!
For skyscrapers in Chicago and around the country/world it's quite standard. Sometimes steel piles 80'-90' long are driven in to the ground, but they're also capped with a mat to tie them together.

The mat is the bottom floor, the bottom of the basement that everything else rests on. Just like the floors above, the mat ties things together and for lateral strength.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
The only places where such a practice are not common are areas like NYC where the bedrock is basically at the surface. Chicago has nothing substantial in terms of bedrock until 100-140' below surface which means the cassions have to travel an awful long ways down without being tied together. This means it is all that more important to tie them together at the first available opportunity which is is right below the tower where they pour the mat.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:01 AM

02/06/17

Is this really a 3-mat foundation tower? I was getting my 'after the pour' shots as I was out of town Saturday and I noticed something...

The main mat:

Secondary mat:

Baby mat?

Secondary mat with baby in the background:

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 1:19 PM
BANNED

^This tower is essentially 3 or 4 towers in one, and I believe each "tower", except for the 2nd from the East, has its own core.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:50 PM

I believe Trump had a 10' thick core mat. These mats will basically support the elevator and stair cores, the backbone of the towers. In a couple of the pictures, you can see horizontal rebar extending out from the core pour. These are most likely into grade beams tying the exterior piers/caps to the core. Then you will have columns rising from the pier caps around the edge of the building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief56 View Post
I believe Trump had a 10' thick core mat. These mats will basically support the elevator and stair cores, the backbone of the towers. In a couple of the pictures, you can see horizontal rebar extending out from the core pour. These are most likely into grade beams tying the exterior piers/caps to the core. Then you will have columns rising from the pier caps around the edge of the building.
Since the middle tower of the 3 tall towers does not have a core, I would think a concern would be if there is a bit of uneven settling between the east and west towers.

Seems to me that could create either a strong lateral tension or a twisting type of tension in the middle tower.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Since the middle tower of the 3 tall towers does not have a core, I would think a concern would be if there is a bit of uneven settling between the east and west towers.

Seems to me that could create either a strong lateral tension or a twisting type of tension in the middle tower.
Not to mention you have a street running through the middle of the building, so you need to span that distance and be able to support a tower sitting above it. I bet the east mat is another core to help stabilize/carry the load.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief56 View Post
Not to mention you have a street running through the middle of the building, so you need to span that distance and be able to support a tower sitting above it. I bet the east mat is another core to help stabilize/carry the load.
From some drawings I came across online it appears the "baby mat" mentioned by BVic might be for the parking garage that appears to be planned for what you might call the fourth tower (the 11 story tower that's farthest east)

Another factor that might be a concern from a structural engineering viewpoint is the affect of wind.

The two tall towers with the extensive foundations are of substantially different heights, one about 550 ft tall and the other about 1200 ft tall, and I would think strong wind from the north or south could create torsional stress on the building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
From some drawings I came across online it appears the "baby mat" mentioned by BVic might be for the parking garage that appears to be planned for what you might call the fourth tower (the 11 story tower that's farthest east)

Another factor that might be a concern from a structural engineering viewpoint is the affect of wind.

The two tall towers with the extensive foundations are of substantially different heights, one about 550 ft tall and the other about 1200 ft tall, and I would think strong wind from the north or south could create torsional stress on the building.
Parking will be on all the lower levels like the rest of the complex.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:08 AM
Chicago

February 7, 2017

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:45 AM

Any guesses as to what's up with the drilling rig?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:22 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Any guesses as to what's up with the drilling rig?
Soil sampling. Seems like an odd time to do it though.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
Soil sampling. Seems like an odd time to do it though.
I think that ship has sailed!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 11:22 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
I think that ship has sailed!
I would think so, too. Curious what other capabilities that rig has.

Twitter: @buildupchicago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture