HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 4:19 PM

There's not going to be a core in the middle because the middle will apparently have a massive lobby over a roadway. My guess is that there will be a hotel core in the right leg of the tower and a residential core in the left. They might share the huge lobby in the middle or might have separate entrances, but barring an extra expensive bit of engineering over the LSD axis, there probably won't be a core in the middle.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 4:23 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Chicago is going to look real wacky if all of the recent proposals somehow make it to fruitiation!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 4:31 PM

Thanks for the mock up Ryan81. I agree with Aaron that the view from South LSD looking north is amazing, and pretty much has me sold. I also love the shadow effect, as it almost has a checked look. Is that a bit exaggerated in your models?

Last edited by rgolch; Jul 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post

I didn't even think about how this would look from the river confluence. The Chicago river IMHO is the best architectural gallery in the world and this is shaping up to be a great addition.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:01 PM
BANNED

^It is the best, indeed. I applaud WP and RP for making such good use of the vista looking East. Hard to imagine why these sat as parking lots for as long as they did..

Great work, Ryan81.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Chicago is going to look real wacky if all of the recent proposals somehow make it to fruitiation!

Yes Chicago will look GREAT if those all get built!!! I like this design, but the glass used may totally change the look when it is finished. We will have to see what happens. Either way it will be good.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:16 PM
you know where I'll be

How long does everyone think it took Carlins and Loewenberg to place a call to Reilly's office after Wanda pushed 'send' on this press release (which I believe likely caught Magellan completely off guard, ass well as likely be full of factual errors - size, height, cost, their investment, etc etc)? Anyone think more than one minute?

Dozens of news outlets ran with their release.....a lot of people are probably more than a little upset right about now.........hopefully know significant relationship damage here....

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:22 PM

Here's a badly photoshopped mockup of how the building would look from my office building:

Maybe someone with a built out 3D model could do better. I have no idea about the relative sizing, it's just for position more than anything else.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:31 PM
DENNAB

Seems this has a pretty good chance of getting built if it's been in the works for a while, this would be an amazing addition to Chi town.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post

all of these proposals are beautifully futuristic, I love it!! I just wish everything proposed for Chicago was build now and the way that is proposed. by the way, is Fifield making any efforts to start 625 west Monroe? that's one of my favorite supertall proposals in the city

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:21 AM
Chicago Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I'm jumping on the Paint It Black bandwagon, but adding some super dark green window columns too.
Yeah this just needs to be darker blue or black.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
How long does everyone think it took Carlins and Loewenberg to place a call to Reilly's office after Wanda pushed 'send' on this press release (which I believe likely caught Magellan completely off guard, ass well as likely be full of factual errors - size, height, cost, their investment, etc etc)? Anyone think more than one minute?

Dozens of news outlets ran with their release.....a lot of people are probably more than a little upset right about now.........hopefully know significant relationship damage here....
I have trouble thinking they'd have errors regarding their actual building. How would they mistake a 350m building for a 300m or something like that, I mean, it's their building. Not to mention how much we've heard about it being 88 or 89 stories.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 12:17 PM
The City

Brendan Reilly (thumping his chest boldly): Nobody came to me with this proposal! This proposal is DEAD as far as I'm concerned! If they want to meet with me and discuss this project they'll have to make an appointment, just like everybody else, and send me on an all expense paid vacation to Bora Bora and maybe then I'll listen to them, or else this proposal is going nowhere! GRRRRRRRR.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:43 PM

I agree, given the 88-89 floors it should be around 350, I agree, black would be so much better. I'm actually sorta surprised there's no office space given the how big the floor space is on the first levels

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawainpanda View Post
I agree, given the 88-89 floors it should be around 350, I agree, black would be so much better. I'm actually sorta surprised there's no office space given the how big the floor space is on the first levels
The lower levels would make terrible office space. The size of the floorplate is not what matters for office, it is the dimensions of the floor and column spacing. Floors this rectangular would be almost impossible to make work from an exiting standpoint for office space. Office spaces are required to have two exits that are further apart than the furthest corner of the space from an exit. On a floor this long and narrow that would be nearly impossible to do for most spaces smaller than a full floor. That's why most office buildings are much more "square" than the long, thin, narrow hotel and residential buildings we see going up. That's also why big blocky buildings like 600 W Chicago, Merch Mart, Fulton Market, and now Post Office are attracting big office tenants. Their massive blocky floorplates are ultra efficient, narrow floor plates are very inefficient and require a much higher loss factor.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:36 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...-US/view.aspx#!

Wanda Group Plans 350-Meter High Rise in Chicago
Chicago, United States – 09 July 2014

Quote:
The Wanda Group announced that it would invest $900 million in the United States' third-largest city, Chicago, to build what could become the city's third tallest building.

Wanda Group intends to build a 350-meter high, 89-floor skyscraper, which would have a gross floor area of 131,400 square meters. The building would also house a 240-room luxury five-star hotel as well as luxury apartments and a commercial center. The project is to begin construction in 2014 and officially open in 2018. If it reaches its intended height, the Wanda building would be ranked third-tallest, after the 442-meter Willis Tower and 423-meter Trump Tower, coming in just ahead of the 346-meter Aon Center.

The Chicago site is located in the vibrant and affluent Lakeshore East development in downtown Chicago, on one of the last remaining sites within the area. Many of Chicago's well-known attractions are within walking distance from the site, such as the Theater District, Millennium Park, Museum Campus and Michigan Avenue.

The Chicago project is Wanda Group's third overseas five-star hotel project, following announcements of luxury hotel projects in London and Madrid.

"Investing in Chicago property is just Wanda's first move into the US real estate market," said Wanda Group Chairman Wang Jianlin, "Within a year, Wanda will invest in more five-star hotel projects in major US cities like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. By 2020, Wanda will have Wanda-branded, five-star hotels in 12 to 15 major world cities and build an internationally influential Chinese luxury hotel brand."

For more on this story, go to Wanda Group.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Brendan Reilly (thumping his chest boldly): Nobody came to me with this proposal! This proposal is DEAD as far as I'm concerned! If they want to meet with me and discuss this project they'll have to make an appointment, just like everybody else, and send me on an all expense paid vacation to Bora Bora and maybe then I'll listen to them, or else this proposal is going nowhere! GRRRRRRRR.....
I hate how possible this is. However, I think someone said LSE is already zoned for this and so it doesn't need a PD and so Reilly can cram it. Hopefully. Also, a thing this size has probably been worked on with city hall for a while, right?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:14 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
I have trouble thinking they'd have errors regarding their actual building. How would they mistake a 350m building for a 300m or something like that, I mean, it's their building. Not to mention how much we've heard about it being 88 or 89 stories.

Let's see what happens when we have actual information from Magellan - that's what we need to be looking for..........there is a chance all the facts about the building in their release are correct as far as what the actual proposal is as of now - I just think it's a really slim chance. We already have two separate contradictions in reports from the wsj and new yorker with info in their release (I'll go with those sources rather than a Chinese co. press release - even regarding information about their own co/investments etc, every single time). In addition, that very press release stated that Chicago is the second largest city in the US - a simple trip to Wikipedia would have prevented that whopper - oh, wait, can you even access Wikipedia in China? I mean, I can not believe that this is anywhere close to a $1 billion project - even at the size of the press release - and even if it were to be upper-luxury....

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:24 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ The new east side association in the past had been making something of a stink over building heights in LSE - for example with Aqua - not being as indicated in original plan. I guess those were guidelines as opposed upper limits (as in Wolf Point). I'm sure there are others here that have a detailed understanding of the LSE PD and what can be done without amendment.....

One thing I've mentioned before - I do worry that Magellan, it would seem to me, will need to go back at some point and have it amended to increase the unit count. Given the fact that there is no office - and likely will not be any of substance going forward, and the buildings are (rightfully) larger perhaps than originally envisaged, I think they'll definitely be running up against their unit allowance in the PD prior to running out of parcels....

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:46 PM

My friend at Aqua loves how a new skyscraper is going there - she's just worried for her views of the lake. Typical, but I mean it's not like she hasn't moved units before...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture