HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 5:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Christmas gift idea

At McMaster University's bookstore they are selling Vanished Hamilton I, II and III and autographed by the author. So if you want me to get you a copy let me know or you can pop over yourself, I can give you instructions. It makes a great Christmas gift!

Also the bookstore is selling a DVD called "The People and the Bay" which is a history of Hamilton Harbour. Looks good!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:11 PM
Closed account

I think a cpl ppl already bought me Vanished Hamilton III for xmas! hehe But that signed one would have been kewl.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 12:32 PM
Closed account

sounds sweet.
also, another Christmas gift idea - tomorrow morning is the final Makers Market of the year.
Starts at 10am at Christs Church Cathedral on James North. Lots of cool stuff to pick up as gifts.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
At McMaster University's bookstore they are selling Vanished Hamilton I, II and III and autographed by the author. So if you want me to get you a copy let me know or you can pop over yourself, I can give you instructions. It makes a great Christmas gift!

Also the bookstore is selling a DVD called "The People and the Bay" which is a history of Hamilton Harbour. Looks good!
How much are these items and are there any left? Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't know the extact cost, perhaps DC would. Yes, there still some autographed books left.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

One-of-a-kind city
Only a few shopping days left and you're stuck on what to get Uncle Larry who is trucking hundreds of miles to eat the Christmas turkey at your table. Fear not. Here's a list of truly Hamilton gifts to fit varying tastes.

Mary K. Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator
(Dec 20, 2007)

You know the type -- the out-of-town rellies and friends who love to scoff about Hamilton.

They're the ones who feel compelled to make nasty about everything from the quality of the air to the performance of the Cats. You've learned to tune them out, but they're still on your Christmas list.

So what do you get them?

You get them Hammered, that's what. Strike back with a gift that is uniquely Hamilton, something that says Hamilton all over it, something that shouts glad tidings to the world: "THE HAMMER RULES!!!"

Like a sausage. A big fat link of double-smoked Beach Road kielbasa. Or a ball cap with the Lancaster bomber on the front. Or a Lister Block T-shirt.

Yeah, eh? Let the naysayers buy neat stuff like that in their perfect Shangri-La of a town, wherever it may be.

In Hamilton, it's all on our doorstep.

More ideas:

* Now Hortons may be a national chain of nearly 2,800 stores and 350 across the border. And it's not even locally owned anymore. But by gar, it's ours and don't you forget it. All of Canada knows that the very first Tims opened in 1964 on Ottawa Street North. A gift from Tims, therefore, is not out of order -- a mug, canister of coffee or tea or a fancy-schmancy Hortons Coffee Brewer by Bunn, available at Tims.

* If music be the food of love, then play on. Hamilton may well have more great musicians per capita than doughnut shops. Among its ranks Hamilton boasts punk pioneers Teenage Head, rocker Tom Wilson, and bluesman Harrison Kennedy ... the list goes on. By promising Hamilton musicians a place to flog their tunes, Picks and Sticks Music (208 Locke St. S.) is setting itself up as the place to tap in to local talent.

* Not something you'd want all over the house, but CATPRINTS magazine is a must for football fans. Hamilton Spectator photographer Sheryl Nadler shot 33 player portraits -- George Hudson and his son at Easterbrooks hotdog joint, JoJuan Armour in Cootes Paradise -- and added her own notes and outtakes from the shoots. The publication, put together by the Tiger-Cats and The Spec, is only $10 with proceeds going to charity. Pick one up at Spectator customer service.

* As one might expect from the home of Hamilton laird Sir Allan MacNab, Dundurn Castle is a good source of Hamilton-type gifties. The gift shop has sold out of pewter Christmas ornaments and figurines of the castle, but still has plenty of Dundurn souvenirs. The castle gift shop also has a good selection of books about Dundurn, Hamilton, heritage buildings and local history.

We're running out of space, which means that there is an abundance of items out there that scream Hamilton.

And we haven't even mentioned the Hamilton Trivia board game; the sizzling Hot Firefighters' Calendar ($11, $16), a charity fundraiser from the Hamilton Firefighters' Association, gift certificates in any denomination from WestJet (westjet.com), gift certificates for the Pearl Company's Art Bus tours ($30 for two).

You'll get a double delight with a Kathryn Smith print -- Christmas and Hamilton in one nostalgic watercolour. The Hamilton artist's limited edition series features warm winter scenes of local sites -- the Cathedral of Christ the King, Eaton's Christmas windows, the Church of the Ascension, Westdale, Dundas, Whitehern -- as well as summer scenes. This one, Downtown Memories, always evokes a wistful sadness in folks who knew Hamilton prior to 1972, when the beautiful Birks building at King and James streets was demolished. It's priced at $140. Smith's prints are available at fine art and framing shops or kathrynsmith.ca.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 7:23 PM
Closed account

You missed this part of the story:

Made in Hamilton

Dave Kuruc has it all -- youth, energy, vision, enthusiasm, ideas, personality and passion for this city -- so much of it, in fact, that we're wondering if he might not make a good mayor. In the meantime, he sells this city at Mixed Media, his independent art shop (174 James St. N.). In addition to art supplies for pros and amateurs, Kuruc carries a collection of Hamiltonia that includes posters of the Pigott Building's stained glass windows ($12 each), Lister Building T-shirts ($20), the fascinating Alphabet Calendar ($15) of letters culled from Hamilton signs, a variety of Hamilton lapel buttons ($2) and his newest contribution, a postcard of the Hamilton-made 1951 Studebaker Champion with a set of Studebaker and Made in Hamilton buttons ($9).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 9:52 PM
Closed account

I love those buttons...awesome.
Dave for mayor!! definitely!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 10:12 PM
Hammer'd

I keep forgetting to get down there and pick up a Lister Block T-shirt. Well, actually I have gone twice and they were sold out both times. I should probably pay another visit. I haven't even seen those buttons yet, and I do have a bit more space on my backpack for more silly buttons.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 4:03 AM
Closed account

Get on the phone and nag him. I'm still waiting for my Pigott building t-shirts.

And yes, Dave for mayor! But he better get me my t-shirts first.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Ahaha, I just saw this. Coincidentally, I received VH 2 & 3 that were personalized by the author. Apparantly, she was in Limeridge a few Saturday's ago signing books for anyone who bought.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 1:46 PM
Closed account

hey...a big MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone on here.
2008 should be a GREAT year in the Hammer!! Cheers!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 2:29 PM
Hammer'd

Cheers
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 3:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Have a safe and great Christmas!

Also think about your 2008 wish list! Should have at least 10 wishes. I'll be making the thread after Christmas. I've been doing that for like 4 years now. 2008 wish list would be a good one.

Now I'm off to do some last minute shopping haha.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 9:54 AM
Closed account

OK. I got my Pigott building tshirt and it's gorgeous. I can now devote myself full time to Dave's mayoralty campaign. Merry Xmas to all, and to all etc. etc.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 3:00 PM
Closed account

Pigott shirts??? where? mixed media?
I know of the Lister ones....didn't know they did a Pigott. I gotta snag one!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 3:44 PM

Merry Christmas everyone! Don't get to much fatter over the holidays.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 1:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris k View Post
Merry Christmas everyone! Don't get to much fatter over the holidays.

toooooo late hahaha

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAVE A SAFE BOXING DAY (sale-pirates are crazy!)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion